HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stamkos Speculation: Updates & News - He is RFA now.

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
They need 4 players to get to 18... but they more likely need 9 to get to the full 23 man roster.

The fact that Stamkos is 1/2 of that is what makes things so tight.

Lets say stamkos gets 9.4.

You've then got 9.4 left to sign 8 players. Thats an average of about 1.2 million / player.

VERY tight for Tbay. They can easily sign Stamkos still, its just a matter of if and when that happens, something's gotta give.

Not to mention if they're spending to the cap, they're looking at at least 30 million dollars in losses next year. Not a very healthy business model if yo uask me.
Ohhh okay, thanks. So 9 with 18.8 left... heh..

Old
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Can multiple teams throw offer-sheets out?
Yes, but it's Stamkos decision on who he wants to sign with, if any.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
JGuardz

Quote:
All 29 teams could throw an offer sheet at him, its up to him which one he signs.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Oree View Post
you really think a team that loses 20-25M annually wants to spend right at the threshold? those loses could double!
I'm not aware of who loses what and how much. They lost that much with having one of the best teams? What happens when they finish last like in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
yeap, just click the number of posts that are usually beside the thread title in the main page and it will give you a list of who posted how much.
Thanks. Didn't know that.

Old
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

Why not? Its like multiple teams offering contracts to Richards. He can only sign one obviously.

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Ohhh okay, thanks. So 9 with 18.8 left... heh..
basically yzerman wants a hometown discount as you know he is a bolt.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Kencaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
this time of year and deadline day work productivity just dips. I cant stop looking
this, ive been basically doing nothing since the Carter/Richards Trade

Old
06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Why not? Its like multiple teams offering contracts to Richards. He can only sign one obviously.
I wasn't sure if there was a restriction for RFA offer-sheets.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Wonder what Burke's thinking...

06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Greg McKegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
7 players.
Minimum is 4; you can have a starting Roster of 20, max of 23.

Tampa loses money, is the only reason he may not be able to be kept under contract. If they had revenue like the Leafs or other major teams, there wouldn't even be a conversation.

Last report I saw, they lost give or take 20-22million even though they were a ECF team. That's why the past few years they have always had between 8-12million in capspace. This year, if they sign Stamkos, Purcell and fill out their roster... it will be the most the owner has invested in awhile. So the speculation is, if they are already losing that much money, can they afford to keep him, or do they go with prospects/trade to keep their money down, but still have future value.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Thanks. Didn't know that.
np.

Well whoever throws the offer-sheet by july 1st and he decides on...the bolts can match it but it will cost them on losing players, so it really is a rock and hard place for yzerman. I think he should still trade stamkos if there is a way.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:03 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
They need 4 players to get to 18... but they more likely need 9 to get to the full 23 man roster.

You've then got 9.4 left to sign 8 players. Thats an average of about 1.2 million / player.

VERY tight for Tbay. They can easily sign Stamkos still, its just a matter of if and when that happens, something's gotta give.

Not to mention if they're spending to the cap, they're looking at at least 30 million dollars in losses next year. Not a very healthy business model if yo uask me.
Two years ago they spent $42 million on their roster and they are looking at about $20 million more than that with no identifiable corresponding increase in revenue. Maybe they have become a money laundering arm for the Florida Mafia.

Old
Regina Pat
Who Cares?

Jesus, 1 million for MAB, 3 for Roli, 4 for Brewer. Just tossing the money around.

Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I wasn't sure if there was a restriction for RFA offer-sheets.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Wonder what Burke's thinking...
i really hope burkie goes against his norms and does whats best for this club and offer that offer-sheet. I mean he is a hometown boy and it can definitely bring him over here.

Old
mapes

Quote:
Yup but he can only sign one. If Tampa matches, they can not deal him for a full year. Ultimately, it's up to Stamkos. If, for example, Phili offered Schenn, Giroux, 6 firsts and we offer Colborne, Rynnas, 4 firsts, the Phili one sounds more tempting. But if Stamkos has absolutely no interest in going to Phili they won't trade for him (they can talk to his agent beforehand) since he would still need to sign a contract. You're basically a UFA except your rights are still owned by the team so they can get compensation.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
44 hours to free agency, and when your top RFA isn't signed, its not the best of conditions.

If Stamkos isn't coming to Leafs, I hope he better stays in Tampa than go to team like Philly.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
mapes

Quote:
basically yzerman wants a hometown discount as you know he is a bolt.
I heard he offered 6.5 mill a year. I'd be a little insulted. He may not be as good as Sid but he can be similar to AO who makes over 9 mill. The cap has even gone up since then quite a bit. So I mean.. he deserves atleast 8 mill IMO.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yup but he can only sign one. If Tampa matches, they can not deal him for a full year. Ultimately, it's up to Stamkos. If, for example, Phili offered Schenn, Giroux, 6 firsts and we offer Colborne, Rynnas, 4 firsts, the Phili one sounds more tempting. But if Stamkos has absolutely no interest in going to Phili they won't trade for him (they can talk to his agent beforehand) since he would still need to sign a contract. You're basically a UFA except your rights are still owned by the team so they can get compensation.
it is very possible that the agents of all the RFA are waiting for offer-sheet or see if any are tendered and if they higher than what the club offers they will accept it and then you know the original team doesn't want to lose them are compelled to match it. Quite a bit like last year's Hjalmarsson contract.

Stamkos and player like doughty has the most say so i think thats why they aren't still signed...

Old
06-29-2011, 03:06 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
44 hours to free agency, and when your top RFA isn't signed, its not the best of conditions.

If Stamkos isn't coming to Leafs, I hope he better stays in Tampa than go to team like Philly.
If he goes to Philli I take back everything I said last week about Holmgren having a few too many.. they would be scary.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:06 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Two years ago they spent $42 million on their roster and they are looking at about $20 million more than that with no identifiable corresponding increase in revenue. Maybe they have become a money laundering arm for the Florida Mafia.

So you're suggesting Stamkos is currently at gunpoint with a pen in hand being forced to sign a 12 year 12 mill contract complete with racketing, police protection, and muscle car benefits?

Old
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I heard he offered 6.5 mill a year. I'd be a little insulted. He may not be as good as Sid but he can be similar to AO who makes over 9 mill. The cap has even gone up since then quite a bit. So I mean.. he deserves atleast 8 mill IMO.
for a guy who is just finishing an ELC from the management point of view, 6.5 is owed but due to the efforts I can see them bringing it up to 7 -7.5 ofc but then again the agents can say completely otherwise and ask for 8+.

Whatever the case is....he's one rich guy at the end of the day lol

Old
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Christ

Quote:
edit: christ you should put that usual subheadline under your name, wasn't it optimism squash it? lol
Ya it was...I miss that subheading...it went missing awhile back and I never tried to figure out how to put it back, lol.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
mapes

Another good thing is they owe alot of money to Vinny. That has to be one of the worst signings in history. A team that loses money hands that out..

Old
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Rinzler

Quote:

Agreed. Especially since Richards is lurking. Since 29 teams are foaming at the mouth to get Stamkos, why not let him go for a king's ransom and sign Richards? They won't lose their competitiveness but rather increase it. They will be much better fiscally and can build the team/business properly.

Large market teams such as ours are beyond this worry. I think it would be a huge mistake for Vinik to shell out 10mil per year for Stamkos (assuming i'm right in this) jsut for the sake of doing so. He should be focused on long term growth and not on a single player. If his team was in the basement, then it would be a different story, but they have a good team already and a good replacement in Richards for Stamkos waiting in the wings.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Another good thing is they owe alot of money to Vinny. That has to be one of the worst signings in history. A team that loses money hands that out..
blast from the past kicks the future.

ironic huh? both first overall.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I have a hard time seeing Stamkos go anywhere. I believe the team lost money despite making ECF but Stamkos is already one of the top players in the league. If they can't afford to keep him then why not trade some players like Malone/Kubina instead of losing Stamkos?

Closed Thread