HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stamkos Speculation: Updates & News - He is RFA now.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
  #76
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
1. No such thing as cap circumvention in this case. A 14 year deal only takes Stamkos until hes 34.

2. The contract wouldn't circumvent the cap because the cap hit would be huge, Stamkos' salary will be evenly distributed as he'll still be in his prime when the contract ends.
BTW, what was the layout on the Bryzgalov contract with Philly? Does that deal dramatically reduce in the final years?

javier is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
  #77
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Is there one of these long, long term contracts that a team HASN'T regetted? RUN BURKIE RUN!!

SteveV* is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
  #78
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
What the hell happened to Bettman laying down the law on these cap circumvetion moves? If Philly gives Stamkos a 14 year deal, that's like giving Bettman the middle finger.
How would that be cap circumvention? Stamkos would be what, like 35 by the time a 14 year deal would end? He's not going to retire and you can give out long-term contracts like those without cap circumventing like Carter and Richards except with more money.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
  #79
BrentZ10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Just read this



13-14 years?!?
These double digit term-length contracts have to be stopped in the next CBA. 13-14 years is an entire career. They are all just tricks to reduce cap hits.

BrentZ10 is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
  #80
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
BTW, what was the layout on the Bryzgalov contract with Philly? Does that deal dramatically reduce in the final years?

I beileve it starts at the 6 million range (maybe 7) and his last contract year drops to about 1.5 or 1.25. There's no significant drop from one year to the next if I remember correctly.

Ari91 is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
  #81
BrannigansLaw
Registered User
 
BrannigansLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Why am I only hearing news coming out of Philly?

We better be in on this. If anyone is worth the assets we so casually give away for guys like Raycroft, Toskala, et al., it's Stamkos.

BrannigansLaw is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
  #82
Calacatz
Jacked!
 
Calacatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
What the hell happened to Bettman laying down the law on these cap circumvetion moves? If Philly gives Stamkos a 14 year deal, that's like giving Bettman the middle finger.
How so Stamkos is only 21? He can play at an elite level until his mid 30's. If he stays healthy and the cap hit looks managable its not a bad move and not something that steven couldnt honour.

Calacatz is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
  #83
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 50
My point earlier was that IF Stamkos is available then Yzerman isn't signing him because he is asking too much money.

The Lightning are barely going to make the cap floor, and that means that money "shouldn't" be an issue.

So if a GM has a huge asset like Stamkos and he has zero bargaining power (or very little) then Burke can waltz in and get him for less than he is worth.

It may take more than Ross, McKegg, Rynnas and a 1st but it won't be ludicrously expensive either. Burke isn't trying to do Yzerman any favours. If the Lightning don't have the money to keep Stamkos, then getting young roster players that have some good upside and can stay on the books for a satisfying amount of money, then that's got appeal for a guy in Yzerman's boots.

If he can't afford to pay Stamkos $7M then how the hell can he take on $10M in contracts?

indigobuffalo is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:37 PM
  #84
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,673
vCash: 50
Wow. In all this talk we completely forget Doughty is a RFA too. I really think teams (Not the Leafs) would be lining up to offer sheet him.

It wouldn't be out of line to see Detroit pull a move like that. Holland said he'd try to go after Weber but Poile took him to arb, Doughty is the best RFA after Weber if we're talking defense.

Pi is online now  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:37 PM
  #85
Jtabo
Registered User
 
Jtabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Don't know if this has been posted yet but Roloson just signed for 3m. That means If Stamkos got what he's worth TB has 7m for 5 players. And they still want to sign Purcell. The more and more people they sign the more I see Stamkos leaving town. And Toronto is the #1 destination. No GM signs Brewer, a 41 year old dinosaur (Roloson) a defensive liabilty (Bergeron) etc before your superstar unless he's leaving town.

Jtabo is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
  #86
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Is there one of these long, long term contracts that a team HASN'T regetted? RUN BURKIE RUN!!
Zetterberg and Datsyuk at least.

indigobuffalo is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
  #87
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I beileve it starts at the 6 million range (maybe 7) and his last contract year drops to about 1.5 or 1.25. There's no significant drop from one year to the next if I remember correctly.
If that's the case, then I would consider that cap circumvention.

javier is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
  #88
Calacatz
Jacked!
 
Calacatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
I cant wait until this kid signs in TB within the next 48 hours just to shut up everyone on here who thinks the leafs will just pick him up.

Calacatz is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
  #89
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Wow. In all this talk we completely forget Doughty is a RFA too. I really think teams (Not the Leafs) would be lining up to offer sheet him.

It wouldn't be out of line to see Detroit pull a move like that. Holland said he'd try to go after Weber but Poile took him to arb, Doughty is the best RFA after Weber if we're talking defense.
The list of teams lining up with their offer sheet will be huge if Stamkos is not signed by Friday.

thebluemachine* is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
  #90
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 32,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Wow. In all this talk we completely forget Doughty is a RFA too. I really think teams (Not the Leafs) would be lining up to offer sheet him.

It wouldn't be out of line to see Detroit pull a move like that. Holland said he'd try to go after Weber but Poile took him to arb, Doughty is the best RFA after Weber if we're talking defense.
He did? When did this happen?

ACC1224 is online now  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
  #91
BrannigansLaw
Registered User
 
BrannigansLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
http://www.csnphilly.com/06/29/11/So...247&feedID=704

No decision eh?

Get in there Burke while they're still twiddling their thumbs.

12 year 115 million offer...we can do better.

BrannigansLaw is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
  #92
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
How so Stamkos is only 21? He can play at an elite level until his mid 30's. If he stays healthy and the cap hit looks managable its not a bad move and not something that steven couldnt honour.
My mistake, totally forgot that he's so young. In order to cap circumvent they would have to give him something like an 18 year offer.

javier is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
  #93
mix1home
Registered User
 
mix1home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Wow. In all this talk we completely forget Doughty is a RFA too. I really think teams (Not the Leafs) would be lining up to offer sheet him.

It wouldn't be out of line to see Detroit pull a move like that. Holland said he'd try to go after Weber but Poile took him to arb, Doughty is the best RFA after Weber if we're talking defense.
I fully expect this summer to be offer-sheet summer. I only hope nobody offer-sheet L.Schenn. Did MaC failed for arbitration? If not then I hope somebody offersheet him and we get compensated.

mix1home is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
  #94
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Zetterberg and Datsyuk at least.
That's true, good point. Still don't like that long a commitment for anyone.

Funny too, one of the TB writers said Stamkos really tailed off second half of the season. He seems great on the pp, but is this a guy that dominates games? I'm not ready to put him in the rare air class just yet, so...

SteveV* is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
  #95
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 32,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/06/29/11/So...247&feedID=704

No decision eh?

Get in there Burke while they're still twiddling their thumbs.

12 year 115 million offer...we can do better.
Can't make an offer til July 1.

ACC1224 is online now  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
  #96
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
He did? When did this happen?
There were reports after Rafalski retired that Holland would try to offer sheet Weber.

BTW, anyone know when those arbitration's are for Weber/Parise? If they can't come to a deal.

Pi is online now  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
  #97
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
I cant wait until this kid signs in TB within the next 48 hours just to shut up everyone on here who thinks the leafs will just pick him up.
That's what I'm waiting for too

ForzaZuffa is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
  #98
BrannigansLaw
Registered User
 
BrannigansLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Can't make an offer til July 1.
I know, just referencing action that I hope will occur on Friday!

BrannigansLaw is offline  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
  #99
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 32,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
There were reports after Rafalski retired that Holland would try to offer sheet Weber.

BTW, anyone know when those arbitration's are for Weber/Parise? If they can't come to a deal.
So Holland didn't say that then?

ACC1224 is online now  
Old
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
  #100
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
That's true, good point. Still don't like that long a commitment for anyone.

Funny too, one of the TB writers said Stamkos really tailed off second half of the season. He seems great on the pp, but is this a guy that dominates games? I'm not ready to put him in the rare air class just yet, so...
Eric Staal and Duncan Kieth

Deebo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.