HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

vCash: 500
Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY (Part II)

Rules regarding rumors/sources:

If the link is censored (*****), then it obviously isn't a valid source. Don't bother posting random twitter accounts either since they'll be deleted immediately.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:36 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan
I would not hesitate to trade 4 1st rounders for Stamkos. Not a second
Hard to say. Again, it's not in our philosophy to do so. It's fun to have a 21-year old superstar, but some people might argue that 4 1st rounders would/could make us a better, deeper team (If you think about it we could give the equivalent of Max Pac, Price, Kostitsyn and another 1st rounder). I understand the 4 picks could be Chipchura's, Fischer's, etc. But, being very confident in their scouting team, it's a risk the Habs never take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever alone
I think the FA crop next year is worse than this year in general. If we can get rid of Gomez's contract we should do it right now, but the results wont be immediate. We'd have to wait on Eller and Desharnais to fight it off. I'm not sure why people seem to believe that Martin has a vendetta against young players. The other option would be to sign Richards, but I wouldn't throw big money at him.
It's not a vendetta, but he hates rushing young players, Desharnais isn't ready for #2 C action IMO. Eller maybe, but I'd rather still have him on the 3rd line for another year.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Hard to say. Again, it's not in our philosophy to do so. It's fun to have a 21-year old superstar, but some people might argue that 4 1st rounders would/could make us a better, deeper team (If you think about it we could give the equivalent of Max Pac, Price, Kostitsyn and another 1st rounder). I understand the 4 picks could be Chipchura's, Fischer's, etc. But, being very confident in their scouting team, it's a risk the Habs never take.

It's not a vendetta, but he hates rushing young players, Desharnais isn't ready for #2 C action IMO. Eller maybe, but I'd rather still have him on the 3rd line for another year.
Price was 5th overall and Akost was 10th.

With Stamkos, we shouldn't finish any less than 20th.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Price was 5th overall and Akost was 10th.

With Stamkos, we shouldn't finish any less than 20th.

But Pacioretty was 22nd, and PK Subban was 43rd. I don't usually overrate draft picks like most people on HF, but 4 first rounders seems a bit too much; it's not the type of deal PG would do. And what if, God forbids, Stamkos gets a serious injury?

Old
06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Stamkos can score but he was brutal in the play-offs. Youre handcuffing yourself in terms of the first round and salary with him. I wouldn't do it.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Stamkos can score but he was brutal in the play-offs. Youre handcuffing yourself in terms of the first round and salary with him. I wouldn't do it.
I would do it if we sign in the lower compensation tier (1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks), but tampa would just match it. Four 1sts is excessive.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
DJ Breadman

I woudln't do it either, the salary could screw up your cap and you can't expect to draft many impact players with no first round pick for 4 years. People don't seem to realize it's a team game, it can be easy to shut down 1 player.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
The problem with acquiring Stamkos isn't the 4 picks, its the cap hit that you would have to make to get Tampa not to match it. Even if you front loaded the contract, with the new ownership, they would likely see it as an investment and match it.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
schumway2

Quote:
He was a 21 year old in his first playoffs. I think he'll get used to it. Guys that score 50 goals don't come along often. I'd give up 4 1sts any day. It's still just talk, it's almost 0% that he leaves Tampa.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The problem with acquiring Stamkos isn't the 4 picks, its the cap hit that you would have to make to get Tampa not to match it.
Not to mention the cap hit you would have to make to get Stamkos to sign it in preference to other offers in the first place.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
shutehinside

It's 4 1st AND $8m+ per for years to come. I wouldnt do that for Crosby or Ovy to be honest.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
It's 4 1st AND $8m+ per for years to come. I wouldnt do that for Crosby or Ovy to be honest.
For players like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos, I would do it without any hesitation. With these type of players, you will draft low anyway. Also, our drafting sucked in the 1st round.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:33 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Tampa would snap match $8m. They'd probably even match $10 fairly quickly. You need to get above $10 for them to not match. They'll never be a cap ceiling team, so being overpaid by a couple million won't hurt them like it would most other teams.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Talent Analyst

For Stamkos, I'll do the maximum (12 years/ 12 millions per). Sure he will be overpaid, but it is worth it. Salary ca say hi, but we can fit him in our line up and we are definitely a contender.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
For Stamkos, I'll do the maximum (12 years/ 12 millions per). Sure he will be overpaid, but it is worth it.
That would ruin this team for 12 years.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
For players like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos, I would do it without any hesitation. With these type of players, you will draft low anyway. Also, our drafting sucked in the 1st round.
Without a goalie like Price, you'd never have a chance at a cup anyway.

With out draft picks you run a serious risk of depleting your farm stock and running your entire organization into the ground. If the player you get gets injured a la Neely, Lindros, kariya etc then you've destroyed your team for a generation. Look what trading Roy did for us without having lost 4 1st.

Those players are tempting but not worth it IMO.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That would ruin this team for 12 years.
So true, would be fun to sign Price and Subban after that

Old
06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Tampa would snap match $8m. They'd probably even match $10 fairly quickly. You need to get above $10 for them to not match. They'll never be a cap ceiling team, so being overpaid by a couple million won't hurt them like it would most other teams.
If they'll never be a top cap spending team then how can they afford 2 $10m players and fill out the rest of the roster with NHLers and still be comparative? They can't so they can't match a $10M offer.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
macavoy

Quote:
If they'll never be a top cap spending team then how can they afford 2 $10m players and fill out the rest of the roster with NHLers and still be comparative? They can't so they can't match a $10M offer.
They'd find a way to dump Vinny. It wouldn't be that hard. Actually looking at his contract, if Eller doesn't start to develop, in a year or two, we should trade for him.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Add Gomez and AK salary together and there's Stamkos....yeah, I'd offer sheet him.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
They'd find a way to dump Vinny. It wouldn't be that hard. Actually looking at his contract, if Eller doesn't start to develop, in a year or two, we should trade for him.
Over $70M over 10 years for a 25 goal scorer? I'll pass.
I don't know if you're being glib about being able to trade that kind of a contract for a player as damaged and washed up as Vinny now is JUST when it's about to start.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
But Pacioretty was 22nd, and PK Subban was 43rd. I don't usually overrate draft picks like most people on HF, but 4 first rounders seems a bit too much; it's not the type of deal PG would do. And what if, God forbids, Stamkos gets a serious injury?
Serious injuries? They happened to Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, and dozens of other superstars. No one is immune. If you're insecure, then fill your roster with inconsequential players who can easily be replaced,

Old
06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Over $70M over 10 years for a 25 goal scorer? I'll pass.
I don't know if you're being glib about being able to trade that kind of a contract for a player as damaged and washed up as Vinny now is JUST when it's about to start.
In a couple of years, it won't be $70m for a 25 goal scorer, it'll be like 7 years for like 25 million. I didn't do the math but picking up the end of his contract is value for your dollar.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:13 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
In a couple of years, it won't be $70m for a 25 goal scorer, it'll be like 7 years for like 25 million. I didn't do the math but picking up the end of his contract is value for your dollar.
Do the math, it's not that attractive. Add to that his past injuries and I can't see him being attractive.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:14 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Do the math, it's not that attractive. Add to that his past injuries and I can't see him being attractive. We already can't wait to get rid of Gomez and it's only been 2 years!

Closed Thread