HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign Y. Weber to a 2-year deal (850k cap hit)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
  #126
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,677
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
No. If he's sent down he goes back to the KHL. He can be the 7th d-man all year.


Not that I think this will happen, just clarifying.
Do you really think he'll stay as a 7th dman? I doubt it.

Plus I'd rather have him over spacek or weber any day of the week.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
  #127
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Do you really think he'll stay as a 7th dman? I doubt it.

Plus I'd rather have him over spacek or weber any day of the week.
He doesn't have an out clause that states he can leave whenever he wants.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
  #128
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Do you really think he'll stay as a 7th dman? I doubt it.

Plus I'd rather have him over spacek or weber any day of the week.
Keep in mind that historically a seventh d-man is going to play like 50-60 games or so. Someone is pretty much always hurt.

I think the out clause is just for if he's not on the NHL roster. But if he can play at the NHL level it behoves the Habs to keep him happy so he re-signs next summer.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:19 PM
  #129
PATCHESx67
Registered User
 
PATCHESx67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: West Island MTL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
doubt Yemelin will be #7 and deff know they wont risk sending him down to Hamilton,personally i think they'll try him out with Marky and see how that works out,worst case scenario he drops down and Gorges moves up

IMO

Markov - Yemelin
Gorges - Subban
Gill - LJV/Spacek

Diaz

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
  #130
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,976
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
doubt Yemelin will be #7 and deff know they wont risk sending him down to Hamilton,personally i think they'll try him out with Marky and see how that works out,worst case scenario he drops down and Gorges moves up

IMO

Markov - Yemelin
Gorges - Subban
Gill - LJV/Spacek

Diaz
Gorges excelled last year and the year before by being paired with 2 different people, Markov and Gill, and those are the 2 i see him getting paired with at all

Subban - Emelin is what I want to see. gives subban a lil eveteran edge + emelin wont have to do too much xcept cream people with subban flying around

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:06 PM
  #131
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Gorges excelled last year and the year before by being paired with 2 different people, Markov and Gill, and those are the 2 i see him getting paired with at all

Subban - Emelin is what I want to see. gives subban a lil eveteran edge + emelin wont have to do too much xcept cream people with subban flying around
Except play d.

Nice signing. Would be nice to get rid of Spacek.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:19 PM
  #132
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Le jeune Veberre!!! Would be interesting to see how much. I'd say 1,8M (0,8 1) over the two years.

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Weber
Emelin

Glad he is back, i hope tho thats not our D next season.

Hopefully something around :

Markov - Gorges
UFA - Subban
Gill - Weber
Emelin/Spacek

EDIT : I was close (0,1K off the mark)

I'll say,

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Yemelin - Weber
Spacek

I'm happy starting the season with this crop despite Spacek still being there...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
  #133
Blob Buster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not mad we kept Weber. There would be no point in just dumping him, but we can't ice players like Weber regularly AND call ourselves a contender. The two are mutually exclusive.
It's one of the fun thing about coming back to HF once in a while to lurk/post, you can bet FOTS is gonna be there and hate whatever the Habs just did and say how bad they suck.

Weber is back, price tag is great, and he needs the NHL ice time to push his development. I'd rather have him do it in Montreal then elsewhere.

Blob Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
  #134
Blob Buster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
that settles it then. He was on pace to, so that means he will. Darche was on pace for 36 points last season, I guess that's a lock too.
At the same age, Wiz was on pace for 16 points with Chicago...

Blob Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
  #135
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'll say,

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Yemelin - Weber
Spacek

I'm happy starting the season with this crop despite Spacek still being there...
As long as the first four get about 30 minutes each that might work.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:20 PM
  #136
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
As long as the first four get about 30 minutes each that might work.
Yemelin was pretty big time guy in the KHL. It wouldn't be suprising to see him play at a solid 3rd pairing level in the NHL. There are people that have seen him play that say he's currently playing at a 2nd pairing level for what its worth. Weber also was a decently competent 3rd pairing guy last season.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
  #137
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,629
vCash: 515
great signing

I have always liked weber since the 09 playoffs

wish they had weber shirts

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
  #138
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
As long as the first four get about 30 minutes each that might work.
People need to show some faith. I think anyone with any hockey sense can see the leaps and bounds Weber has come since his days as a disappointing call-up. He's come miles defensively. He's not going to run guys over, ever, because he simply isn't a physical specimen. But he works his ass off in his own end, and positionally he is now very sound. He's now defensively responsible enough to be considered a legit NHL defenseman. Everyone will be loving LJV by season's end.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
  #139
Kovatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
People need to show some faith. I think anyone with any hockey sense can see the leaps and bounds Weber has come since his days as a disappointing call-up. He's come miles defensively. He's not going to run guys over, ever, because he simply isn't a physical specimen. But he works his ass off in his own end, and positionally he is now very sound. He's now defensively responsible enough to be considered a legit NHL defenseman. Everyone will be loving LJV by season's end.
Agreed. Weber is going to be a solid top 4 defenseman in a few years. He just needs to keep putting on some weight. Montreal is a good fit for him too since his clutch performances in the playoffs show that he doesn't get phased with pressure. Now with Weber and Subban I'm comfortable with the offense we have from the back end in case Markov goes down again. Apparently Yemelin has a great shot from the point as well, so theoretically both our powerplay units will be very solid on the points this upcoming season.

Kovatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
  #140
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I hope a lot of people are ready to apologize when LJV breaks out this season.
Move over GSP, it's all about LJV!

Official nickname.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:20 PM
  #141
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,857
vCash: 300
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Give me some LJV love!

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:25 PM
  #142
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
Subban, Markov, Gill, and Gorges are all locks on our d. Emelin, Weber, and Spacek will be battling for who doesn't sit in the press box I'd guess. I'd like to see:

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Gill-Weber

Gives us a vet and a youngster on every pairing, as well as a more offensive/defensive trio of tandems as well...

hogtownhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
  #143
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not mad we kept Weber. There would be no point in just dumping him, but we can't ice players like Weber regularly AND call ourselves a contender. The two are mutually exclusive.
What are you talking about...? Weber is going to be a star. I've seen him play. A lot. He has a great offensive sense that you just cant teach. Go watch his goal against Boston in game 7. That backdoor play is very much like Markov.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
  #144
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
I don't get it, what does LJV stand for?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:38 AM
  #145
Lions999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Subban, Markov, Gill, and Gorges are all locks on our d. Emelin, Weber, and Spacek will be battling for who doesn't sit in the press box I'd guess. I'd like to see:

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Gill-Weber

Gives us a vet and a youngster on every pairing, as well as a more offensive/defensive trio of tandems as well...
Yes thats it like those pairings

Lions999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:39 AM
  #146
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't get it, what does LJV stand for?
Le Jeune Veberre!


Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Here is my Weber prediction for next season: 6G-24A-31PTS.
Something is fishy about those statistics...

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:12 AM
  #147
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Le Jeune Veberre!
The Yellow ...?


submarine?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:35 AM
  #148
DogsFan*
GHG
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Weber! Said with a V. Veber. Then he aids the aire at the end as the er.

Veberre!

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:38 AM
  #149
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
Ok, my next question, is why are they calling him yellow, aka chicken?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
  #150
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 20,954
vCash: 500
I don't like him but he's decent for our depth.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.