HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jersey hate/prejudice

Old
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
omglolnub

vCash: 500
Jersey hate/prejudice

A couple years back, my dad and I took a road trip up to Buffalo and saw the Sabres take on the Coyotes (in which Tyler Myers collected his first NHL point, an assist while getting clobbered on a goal by Clark MacArthur). We both wore Sabres jerseys; me in a blank vintage road blue, my dad in an blank old road black.

Anyways, I was kinda curious, are there any jerseys that'll result in beer getting thrown at you or catcalls from the row behind you? Any particular of the designs of the past (I'm looking at that red 3rd jersey on my wall) or any nameplates? Upon seeing a certain Sabres jersey/nameplate, do you make any snap judgement about the wearer? Just curious...in the interests of science, you know.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Clock

If you're asking if Sabres fans in the arena care one way or the other about the (Sabres) jersey you're wearing, I'd say no, unless it's something one went out of their way to make ridiculous.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
SilverNitro23

I don't see ANY problem with wearing blank jerseys. I personally have a Pominville jersey and a blank one, and I usually choose the blank one. I don't really have a clear-cut #1 favorite player on the team, so I just wear a blank one myself.

It also helps that there's no risk of players you have being traded or such. I thought about getting a Drury jersey back in '07 and glad I decided against it.

SilverNitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
If you're asking if Sabres fans in the arena care one way or the other about the (Sabres) jersey you're wearing, I'd say no, unless it's something one went out of their way to make ridiculous.
Yeah, barring Jersey fouls, of course. My bad, I should have clarified.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
OpethianSabre20

I razz guys who wear a Roy or Pominville jersey. Not that they're bad players or anything, but I usually only see girls wear those jerseys. It's not really a jersey foul though in my book.

My two biggest gripes are with people who put their name on the back of a jersey and people who put players from one jersey era on a different jersey (ie: Rene Robert on an angry goathead jersey).

I've never heard of people just ripping a person for wearing a specific jersey design, except for the occasional slug razzing.

Last edited by OpethianSabre20: 06-29-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
I razz people who wear a Roy or Pominville jersey. Not that they're bad players or anything, but I usually only see girls wear those jerseys. It's not really a jersey foul though in my book.
Bite me.

Also, I'll be getting a Gerbe next. Because I have a thing for players who are almost as tiny as I am.

Quote:
My two biggest gripes are with people who put their name on the back of a jersey and people who put players from one jersey era on a different jersey (ie: Rene Robert on an angry goathead jersey).
This. Drives. Me. Nuts.

I have to confess that I'm not a fan of couples wearing the same player. Like, one home and one away. Especially if they're walking through the concourse holding hands. (Or, like I saw once, with their hands in each other's back pockets. I **** you not. I thought I'd gotten in the Wayback Machine back to junior high...) Anyway, I always have to hold myself back from tripping or clotheslining them, just because it feels like they're begging for it.

To the OP: Are you familiar with Sick Jersey Bro? Funny, funny stuff there. Doesn't look like he's posted in quite a while, though; he's still active on Facebook, though.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

I wonder how a Golisano or Quinn slug jersey would go over? With "$$" on the back instead of numbers?

Other than that - I think just about anything is fair game. The really lame jersey fouls probably get some funny looks / point-and-laugh kind of thing. ****** bags with "69" and their name on the back, stuff like that.

I'm on the fence with putting your own name on jerseys. I guess it's kind of tacky, but I've certainly seen worse, and probably wouldn't call someone out for it.

Speaking of which, I want to get the kid a Gerbe, but the wife would rather get his name/number instead of a specific player. I think I'm gonna win this one though. That, or he'll end up with both a home and away.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Clock

I've never seen anyone get ripped on for the common jersey fouls to their face in the arena. You're good.

You're going to get a pink Titanic jersey with a C on it, aren't you.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Yeah, the wrong era for an alum is a big no-no to me, too. Own name is kinda tacky, in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflohockeygirl View Post
To the OP: Are you familiar with Sick Jersey Bro? Funny, funny stuff there. Doesn't look like he's posted in quite a while, though; he's still active on Facebook, though.
No, but I just read through a few pages of posts...brilliant stuff, thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I wonder how a Golisano or Quinn slug jersey would go over? With "$$" on the back instead of numbers?
It's a protest jersey, so it's debatable. Depends if it gets laughs or not. Although, I think some people have done that already now.

Quote:
N-n-n-noooo! Definitely not! (Crap crap crap, does shop.nhl.com have a refund policy?! )

Old
06-29-2011, 11:59 PM
pr92

A few guys were teasing this dude in a Hasek jersey on the subway once. Never seen/heard anything beyond that.

pr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:24 AM
sabresfan129103

just don't be that guy who puts his own name on his Sabres jersey or wear the Sabretooth jersey with the paw for a number and you'll be fine.

edit: now that I think about it, me and my buddy almost got in a fight with 2 guys b/c my friend was wearing an old Jason Wolley jersey. Go figure.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflohockeygirl View Post
was just about to post that, great site. Cant stand customized jerseys with stupid **** written on it

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

you can always send your jersey to get it changed if the player is traded not sure how much it costs though cant be too expensive

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Miller30Sabres*

i personaly hate the "yellow Slug" jerseys/logo

I love the home, away, and 3rd that we have now! I have all 3 with Miller on them....i am how ever going to get a home and away with Enroth ,because who evers in net ill wear that game! Miller is my favorate player ever! but Enroth from what ive seen so far, is goina be an amazing player!

i always liked the NJ Devils jerseys, and San Jose Sharks Jerseys aswell!

Miller30Sabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:22 PM
omglolnub

My only beef with the current home and away jerseys that prevent me from buying them (other than the fact I almost never wear my original home/aways, goat home/aways, and red thirds and the cost of buying 2 more jerseys) are those ugly grey patches under the arms. They look like pit stains. Now, I know it's cool for the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd to buy pre-damaged clothing, but I don't think the same applies to pit-stains, right? Point being, yuck! Also, the front of the current 3rd looks alright, but the numbers made out of triangles looks terrible, too.

Totally a year late on these criticisms, but oh well.

Old
07-01-2011, 09:17 AM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I would laugh my ass off. And then high-five whoever was wearing it. That's funny stuff, right there.

Quote:

bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

hey I'm about to order a jersey online and I've tried on some sizes in a store. however I cant decide on what size to get! I'm 6' 2-3/8", 195 lbs. (of ripped man ) and the it's between an XL and a L. about a 50 in that french system.

The L sleeves come down to my wrists, but the waist is about belt level.

The XL sleeves are too long, when my arms are at my sides they go past my wrists, the arms are very baggy, but it feels better because I can wear a hoody under it.

Any advice would be most welcome

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:30 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
hey I'm about to order a jersey online and I've tried on some sizes in a store. however I cant decide on what size to get! I'm 6' 2-3/8", 195 lbs. (of ripped man ) and the it's between an XL and a L. about a 50 in that french system.

The L sleeves come down to my wrists, but the waist is about belt level.

The XL sleeves are too long, when my arms are at my sides they go past my wrists, the arms are very baggy, but it feels better because I can wear a hoody under it.

Any advice would be most welcome
no question XL, bigger looks wwaaayyyy better than too small (IMO)

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
I always buy jerseys with the caveat that it has to fit a hoodie underneath it. If the hoodie fits under the XL for you, get the XL.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
goldstandard333

Since I can't find a home white Hawerchuk jersey for less than $400. I bought current white away with #10 Hawerchuk. Don't flame me please.

goldstandard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:53 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Or you could get the blank white 90's jersey from somewhere like River City Sports for 125 or something and then take it to a good embroiderer to finish the job. That's how I do it if I want to get a jersey for myself or someone else. Got my buddy's 94 Richter SCF jersey taken care of that way.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
I loathe when people get their own names on jerseys...unless you played in the NHL...or are a young kid with a terminal illness and was presented with a personalized jersey from the team itself, don't do it.

It's the same reason I'll never touch the Stanley Cup if given the oppourtunity...I didn't earn it.

And if you think I'm being too hardline I think it's the respect for traditions and history, as with the Cup, that make this game so special.

But in the end people can spend their $$ anyway they want...so I can't argue that.

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
I loathe when people get their own names on jerseys...unless you played in the NHL...or are a young kid with a terminal illness and was presented with a personalized jersey from the team itself, don't do it.

It's the same reason I'll never touch the Stanley Cup if given the oppourtunity...I didn't earn it.

And if you think I'm being too hardline I think it's the respect for traditions and history, as with the Cup, that make this game so special.

But in the end people can spend their $$ anyway they want...so I can't argue that.
My Niece recently graduated and I bought her a Pens jersey (her team) with the #11 (the year) and her first name on the back. So I hope you can add another exception to you list.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
My Niece recently graduated and I bought her a Pens jersey (her team) with the #11 (the year) and her first name on the back. So I hope you can add another exception to you list.
I think it's more problematic that you didn't buy her a Sabre jersey instead and try to convert her

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
no question XL, bigger looks wwaaayyyy better than too small (IMO)

yeah but man, I hate having to cuff my sleeves like a little kid or something. I could fit a hoody under the L but it would be a snug fit. I like them a little baggy but the arms of the XL looked like I was going sky diving with some kind of flying squirrel contraption.

I'm going to have to go to another store and try them on again lol It's been so long since I bought a hockey jersey