HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

"Regier has been given the greenlight to splash around with the big boys"

Old
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Another big difference is Ted Black knows little about hockey and knows he knows little about hockey as a opposed to Larry Quinn who knew little about hockey and thought he knew everything about hockey.
QFT

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
However, Dreger believes that not only can the Sabres match that figure, Buffalo has an ace in the hole - Terry Pegula. Dreger cited the ownership problem the Dallas Stars have faced and said that ownership stability will play a part in Richards' decision and that Pegula is making the right move. "New attitude comes from ownership," Dreger told the WGR morning show. "I include Buffalo in just about everything...When you look at the free agent crop, it's not that deep...You have to do what you can to grab a guy (like Brad Richards)."

Dreger believes that the Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs will join the Sabres on their quest to grab Richards but the Sabres might have the advantage on their rivals from across the border. Richards has told friends that he is looking to win another Stanley Cup and Dreger believes that the Leafs' goalie situation could play a role in shaping where Richards decides to land.
http://wgr550.com/TSN-s-Darren-Drege...ad-Ri/10232818

Old
06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Speaking with Schopp & the Bulldog, Black was asked if fans should be prepared to fasten their seatbelts for Friday. His answer is what most Sabres faithful have been dreaming of for years.

"We're committed to winning the Stanley Cup so the challenge we have is the supply is much more limited than the demand across the league. But we're prepared to do whatever we need to do. So, yes," Black said. "It's high expectations, and again, it's supply and demand, the amount of players out there is limited, but we see our opportunity now and we're going to pursue it very aggressively."
Quote:
He did say that he'd be willing to help out wherever possible. "I would certainly be available to do that. I think first and foremost Terry and Kim [Pegula] would be the ones that would be more impressive than I to present to a free agent and then Darcy and Lindy. But to the extent of it, I'm always able to help out. I'm always available to do that."

When asked if Terry and Kim Pegula would fly out to potential free agents to try and aid the process, the typically loquacious Black kept his words to a minimum.

"I would not rule that out."
http://wgr550.com/As-Friday-Nears--S...-Game/10237724

Old
06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

What an absolute breath of fresh air this is. I can't believe we're talking about the Sabres here. This is.... amazing.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I'm having feelings of resentment towards Tom Golisano. He had the resources and a wide open window of opportunity to win a cup. Instead of driving through it, he put the brakes on.
Please don't have selective memory.In a pre-cba we traded for Drury which was seen as a major acquisition . He was not a fan but a businessman. He left the Sabres viable and that's all you should ask from an owner considering our team was on the brink of extinction . Not to mention under Golisano we actually signed SOME mid tier UfA compared to none pre Golisano.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Not a Sabres fan but I wanted to say congratulations on getting an owner willing to spend. It's sad seeing some of the key free agents who left and I think with your core, you guys deserve to be as competitive as possible.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoalie View Post
What an absolute breath of fresh air this is. I can't believe we're talking about the Sabres here. This is.... amazing.
I'd say it's like old times again, but outside of the very beginning of Riga$ involvement in the team in the early '90's... they really haven't. The guys loved the Knoxes, but this is a whole new level of ownership commitment.

06-29-2011, 09:02 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I just hope they don't do something dumb. I'd be willing to go as high as 7.5 per for a long term deal. 8 million on a long term deal might make my stomach turn.

Really?

Half a million dollars a year would be the deal breaker for you in landing a #1 center?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

i just **** my pants.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:06 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I like how in that video all the highlights seem to be of people scoring on the sabres

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I like how in that video all the highlights seem to be of people scoring on the sabres
ya seriously. wtf is up with that??

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 PM
oldgoalie
In rebuild hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'd say it's like old times again, but outside of the very beginning of Riga$ involvement in the team in the early '90's... they really haven't. The guys loved the Knoxes, but this is a whole new level of ownership commitment.
I was going to comment on how it felt like "old times" again, and I was already out of the area when the Rig*******s took over.

So, yeah, it feels like it's like the days of the French Connection all over again...

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:19 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Throw it on NHL Network.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Throw it on NHL Network.
God I love hearing those words.

Yea I just quoted myself.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
jd1970

Quote:
The guys loved the Knoxes, but this is a whole new level of ownership commitment.
Don't forget the Knox Bros. going after Mogilny and Lafontaine. And then Muckler. I still believe the Sabres would have won the cup had Lafontaine and Fuhr not gotten injured. Or if Muckler was smart enough to start Hasek over a crippled Fuhr.

jd1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
is the answer jesus

Wow. Great to see this all unfolding. Nice to see Darcy wheeling and dealing, never thought the day would come.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
skibum

This is awesome. The sporting Gods have not smiled on Buffalo this way in as long as I can remember.

Darcy now has free reign to build his fantasy team. If Ehrhoff comes on board, how could Brad Richards not give Buffalo very serious consideration? Can't wait to see what happens next.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
This is awesome. The sporting Gods have not smiled on Buffalo this way in as long as I can remember.

Darcy now has free reign to build his fantasy team. If Ehrhoff comes on board, how could Brad Richards not give Buffalo very serious consideration? Can't wait to see what happens next.
Even if Ehrhoff doesn't sign with the Sabres this was a BRILLIANT move.

The Sabres are sending a clear cut message that there is a new kid on the block to contend with and players around the league and agents as well are taking notice.

We are just starting and a 4th round pick is child's play when a team like Buffalo is building that reputation.

Again, signing him or not, this is a great move.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:16 PM
wyldthing89

I never been so excited and anxious about July 1st !!!

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:19 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Congrats guys, this is fantastic. Buffalo is absolutely a team that deserves this, working hard for years and competing despite tight purse strings, great fan base and what an exciting young team. Buffalo, like Nashville, is quietly one of the better run franchises in the league. Makes me jealous.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:25 PM
BrodieBruce

but we're a small market!

BrodieBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieBruce View Post
but we're a small market!
It's a good thing the owner has 10,000 dollar bills for each person residing in the city of Buffalo.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1970 View Post
Don't forget the Knox Bros. going after Mogilny and Lafontaine. And then Muckler. I still believe the Sabres would have won the cup had Lafontaine and Fuhr not gotten injured. Or if Muckler was smart enough to start Hasek over a crippled Fuhr.
They went after LaFontaine in part with money they got from a new investor... namely John Rigas.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
They went after LaFontaine in part with money they got from a new investor... namely John Rigas.
Let's also not forget a comparable big-time addition that the Sabres made only 15 months before LaFontaine: Hawerchuk in June 1990. Just as Buffalo won the sweepstakes for LaFontaine amongst a lot of competition, there were rumors about the Jets trading Ducky for months before the '90 draft - and tons of teams rumored to want him yet Buffalo won that derby as well.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:10 AM
MrRuin

Good times!

MrRuin is offline   Reply With Quote