HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy GDT (Aka the Brad Richards Thread Part IV)

View Poll Results: Who Does Richards Sign With?
Rangers 138 68.32%
Sabres 31 15.35%
Leafs 16 7.92%
Other 17 8.42%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
With an owner like Pegula, don't write off Buffalo. Despite it's perception of not being an ideal destination, a ton of players who played there for a limited term have homes there. It's an easy city to live in for Canadian hockey players. You're worshiped by the fan base, but not to the point where they become overly fanatical. Close to home in Canada, and pretty solid schools for kids.

HI my name is Jim Dolan have we met? I own cablevision the new York rangers the new York knicks and Madison square garden. If it weren't for a salary cap I'd be well over 100 mil in payroll. Pretty sure I can afford any hockey player i want. Well anyway nice meeting u ps I lost a receipt in the hamptons the other day from my petty cash account at capital one. Don't like that stuff floating around otherwise I lose track. If u see it let me know guys.

In conclusion pegula and his town don't impress me

Old
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Eklund just tweeted "im hearing Richards to the LEafs" in those exact words? Maybe Richards is heading to Toronto because thats where his agent works and Eklund is just trying to stir the pot again

Old
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesins54 View Post
Eklund just tweeted "im hearing Richards to the LEafs" in those exact words? Maybe Richards is heading to Toronto because thats where his agent works and Eklund is just trying to stir the pot again
He put an e4 on it. This is serious business. Time to pack it up here.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Levitate

That's stupid as all hell. They can't negotiate right now, Richards already refused to waive his NT, and the most that can be said is "Toronto wants to give him a ton of money!" which we already knew.

And if it's "oh someone told me Richards wants to go to Toronto!" then what, we ignore all the people who told Larry Brooks that Richards wanted to go to NY?

That's Eklund getting desperate for page hits

Old
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Yeah obviously i mean i know his agent is in TOR, clearly why he went up there lolol

Old
06-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesins54 View Post
Yeah obviously i mean i know his agent is in TOR, clearly why he went up there lolol
I'd be surprised if Ek knew his agent was in Toronto though.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
I'd be surprised if Ek knew his agent was in Toronto though.
Haha thats true

Old
06-30-2011, 09:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
All this talk about Richards going to Buffalo, has anyone considered that Callahan may be a target for the Sabres via offer sheet? They got the room. He is a Buffalo native. Would be a good PR move bringing a hometown kid back no? Plus, weren't the Sabres victims of an offer sheet themselves once before? Thinking Vanek maybe?
That's only half the story though. The other part of the equation is - Would Callahan really bite at an offer sheet and walk away from the organization, his teammates, a coach that endears him, and a GM who has a son of cap space left with which to negotiate a new contract? I think when you consider the unlikelihood that Buffalo would even attempt an offer sheet, coupled with the improbability of a player like Callahan, who knows he's about to be named Captain of the team, signing an offer sheet if presented with one, we could all agree that the prospects for this happening are slim to none.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Should the 31-year-old Richards -- who had 72 points in 77 games with the Dallas Stars last season -- spurn what is expected to be a multiyear, front-loaded contract worth between $40 million and $50 million that will produce a cap hit of $7 million annually, there might have to be a trade, because the free- agent market for top forwards is thin this year.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...-now-1.2997159

6 years/$42M
7 years/$49M

Old
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
beastly115

The Sabres are still small time. They convinced Regehr to come to Buffalo. Big whoop. We all know the situation in Calgary. They're a sinking ship. Of course he'd waive to abandon ship!

Ehrhoff. They traded for him and convinced him to sign. They didn't have to bid against anyone.

Let's see how they hold up on the open market. We have some of the deepest pockets in the league. Dolan lights cigars with hundred dollar bills. Sather has always gotten his man in UFA. They want to throw a huge signing bonus at Richards? No problem, we can too.

Buffalo is so happy they can spend to the cap. We've been there done that. They're a boy in a man's world. This year they see how the big boys roll.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Let him have a NMC for the first 3-4 years if he wants, and then a limited NTC for any remaining years, and then show me where to sign.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Too bad Richards isn't a client of Bill Zito who always leaks stories about his clients to him. Wisniewski. Madden. Rafalski. All Zito clients. Madden signed with Chicago in 2009. Rafalski retired. Wisniewski's rights traded. Eklund had those scoops.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
That depends, do you think the sabres want all of their RFAs targeted for as long as Glen Sather has a job?
Yup, and we all know Sather has the job until he dies. And he can't die, so that's forever. I've been up to the Eyebrow. They've got a Lazarus pit hot tub up there.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
The Sabres are still small time. They convinced Regehr to come to Buffalo. Big whoop. We all know the situation in Calgary. They're a sinking ship. Of course he'd waive to abandon ship!

Ehrhoff. They traded for him and convinced him to sign. They didn't have to bid against anyone.

Let's see how they hold up on the open market. We have some of the deepest pockets in the league. Dolan lights cigars with hundred dollar bills. Sather has always gotten his man in UFA. They want to throw a huge signing bonus at Richards? No problem, we can too.

Buffalo is so happy they can spend to the cap. We've been there done that. They're a boy in a man's world. This year they see how the big boys roll.
Here here!! Drinks at the club after all these shenanigans are done tomorrow? We'll let the lawyers finish the details.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yup, and we all know Sather has the job until he dies. And he can't die, so that's forever. I've been up to the Eyebrow. They've got a Lazarus pit hot tub up there.
Sla'ts al Ghul is going to be our GM forever.

RANGERS =
Old
06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Old
06-30-2011, 09:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Capgeek analyzed the cap situation for every NHL team

Quote:
23. New York Rangers, $25.5m cap space
CAP PAYROLL: $38,741,667
PLAYERS SIGNED: 13
KEY RFAs: F Ryan Callahan, F Brandon Dubinsky, F Artem Anisimov, D Matt Gilroy, D Michael Sauer
KEY UFAs: F Alexander Frolov, F Vaclav Prospal, F Ruslan Fedotenko, F Chris Drury, D Bryan McCabe, D Steve Eminger
OUTLOOK: The books are clear for Glen Sather to open up his checkbook for Brad Richards, as has been speculated for almost a year now.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...ory?id=6721671

Matt Wuest has MDZ and Zuccarello included in those figures.

The summer cap dollars available are $20M which includes the $2.4M QO for Callahan,$2M QO for Dubinsky and the other QO's.

Sather has kept his powder dry and its time to unleash the MSG cannon.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

The Rangers - We've haven't used ATMs since Lehman

Old
06-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That's only half the story though. The other part of the equation is - Would Callahan really bite at an offer sheet and walk away from the organization, his teammates, a coach that endears him, and a GM who has a son of cap space left with which to negotiate a new contract? I think when you consider the unlikelihood that Buffalo would even attempt an offer sheet, coupled with the improbability of a player like Callahan, who knows he's about to be named Captain of the team, signing an offer sheet if presented with one, we could all agree that the prospects for this happening are slim to none.

If Callahan signed an offer sheet that paid him way more then market value the organization, teammates and coach would understand because this is a business. The fans on the other hand would have a hard time forgiving Callahan. Some fans would forget about it during training camp. Some fans after Callahan scored his first goal or made a great defensive zone play. Other fans post here and will resent the guy forever like they do Dubinsky for holding out...during training camp...two years ago. However, there isn't a single person that is associated with the Rangers who would blame him for receiving a contract the market dictates is fair value. Some of the people that work for the Rangers have dealt with Sather during contract negotiations. Do you think Messier or Graves would fault a guy for signing an offer sheet? Heck, we stole Graves from Sather on an offer sheet. You and I can go over the list of players both current and past on the Rangers who has had tough negotiations with Sather. Do you think they would fault Callahan?

I think your right. Buffalo or any other team won't offer Callahan an offer sheet but this whimsical tale about loyalty is a sports fan fantasy that isn't rooted in reality. I wish the players loved us as much as we love them. It's just not the case....

Old
06-30-2011, 10:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sla'ts al Ghul is going to be our GM forever.

He's the hero New York deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If Callahan signed an offer sheet that paid him way more then market value the organization, teammates and coach would understand because this is a business. The fans on the other hand would have a hard time forgiving Callahan. Some fans would forget about it during training camp. Some fans after Callahan scored his first goal or made a great defensive zone play. Other fans post here and will resent the guy forever like they do Dubinsky for holding out...during training camp...two years ago.
However, there isn't a single person that is associated with the Rangers who would blame him for receiving a contract the market dictates is fair value. Some of the people that work for the Rangers have dealt with Sather during contract negotiations. Do you think Messier or Graves would fault a guy for signing an offer sheet? Heck, we stole Graves from Sather on an offer sheet. You and I can go over the list of players both current and past on the Rangers who has had tough negotiations with Sather. Do you think they would fault Callahan?
I have 2 comments in regards to that. Dubinsky missing part of training camp while negotiating his contract and eventually rejoining the team, vs. Callahan signing an offer sheet and leaving the organization, are really far apart on the spectrum in terms of things that would agitate some portion of the fan base. In the first part of your post you specified an offer sheet that was "way more than market value", but later alluded to a contract that "the market dictates is fair value", when talking about how the Rangers brass would receive such an action. IMHO it can't be both. If it was fair market value, then Calllahan would be less likely to sign it and the Rangers wouldn't hesitate to match it in a heartbeat if he did. If it was "way more than market value", then that's the player chasing a payday under circumstances that would definitely make you question that player's commitment to the team. I mean you can't tell me that Tortorella, Messier, Graves would not have a strong opinion about a player who was about to be named captain, and revered by the entire organization (brass, players, fans), jumping on an offer sheet when the GM has plenty of cap space to negotiate with. Of course they would. This would not be comparable at all to a Thomas Vanek situation where his team did not have the cap space available to compensate him accordingly for his production. Rangers have plenty of cap space. There is absolutely no way that Glen Sather is stonewalling arguably the most important member of the team, and a player that the coach loves and will soon name captain. This delay and all this usually unnecessary speculation is all just part of the process. In my opinion the most the Rangers and Callahan could be off, in the early going, is $750K-$1 mil, max... That's nothing to jump ship over, not when you consider what's at stake. Meehan probably (ultimately) shooting for a very hearty $4.5 mil offer, Sather probably countering with a more meager $3.5 mil offer, they'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
I think your right. Buffalo or any other team won't offer Callahan an offer sheet but this whimsical tale about loyalty is a sports fan fantasy that isn't rooted in reality. I wish the players loved us as much as we love them. It's just not the case....
Well when I think of loyalty, it encompasses everything. I can't just single out loyalty to fans... It's that rapport you've built with the organization. Everything from the management, your teammates, the coaching staff and training staff, and yes, even the fans. When you have a lot of positive things going for you, it doesn't always boil down to money in the end, it's much more complex and complicated than that. What dollar value do you place on that rapport and that relationship, and a degree of comfort with where you are? Does $750K make it all negligible and worth giving up? I've always placed a strong emphasis on personal relationships in my life, and I definitely fall into that boat of people who would willingly make less money if it meant satisfaction in other areas of my life. I don't think professional sports changes how people think about the situation. Some people will let money play a much bigger impact in their life decisions than others will... It all comes down to personal preferences.... Player like Callahan has A LOT going for him with the NYR. On the polar opposite, consider Wolski who will be a RFA next summer. If he found himself in the same position as Callahan, the dynamic is completely different and Wolski doesn't have nearly as much at stake in his decision to stay or go. Not that I think anyone would offer sheet Wojtek, but in terms of negotiating an acceptable contract. If he doesn't get what he ultimately wants, he's not walking away from much here in terms of his role in and his connection with the organization.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-30-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Screw it. At this point all I can say is lgr.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

BRichards_1991 Brad Richards
Big day tomorrow. Very open minded to all the situations that will be presented. To bad I couldn't try them all.... Will be good to move on

Old
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

just 12 more hours.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
BRichards_1991 Brad Richards
Big day tomorrow. Very open minded to all the situations that will be presented. To bad I couldn't try them all.... Will be good to move on
Richards does not know the proper use of the word "too."

I'm no longer interested. Buffalo can have him.

Closed Thread