HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy GDT (Aka the Brad Richards Thread Part IV)

View Poll Results: Who Does Richards Sign With?
Rangers 138 68.32%
Sabres 31 15.35%
Leafs 16 7.92%
Other 17 8.42%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
They have plenty of space, and can waive Kotalik for another $3m. Actually, if they structure it like Erhoff's deal, they don't need even a lot of cap space.
But do they have the cap space for this beyond next season???

Old
06-30-2011, 07:17 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Alittle worried now Buffalo is making moves we gotta get Richards fast

Old
06-30-2011, 07:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

So the Rangers are afraid to front load a contract? Sather gave Gomez $10M his first season and followed that up with 3 straight years of $8M salaries.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
McMonster

The only way I will accept signing Richards is if they agree on 5.5m/5years.... If he wants to be in NY so bad and play for Torts then this should be enough. If he needs an extra million then he can go play somewhere else. Not the end of the world.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But do they have the cap space for this beyond next season???
Bob McKenzie seems to think so.

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

No question in my mind BUF will be knocking on Brad Richards' door tomorrow. They still have cap room and will to make a big add up front.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
So the Rangers are afraid to front load a contract? Sather gave Gomez $10M his first season and followed that up with 3 straight years of $8M salaries.
It isn't the front-loading that Sather refuses to do, it's the handful of throwaway years at the end.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
The only way I will accept signing Richards is if they agree on 5.5m/5years.... If he wants to be in NY so bad and play for Torts then this should be enough. If he needs an extra million then he can go play somewhere else. Not the end of the world.
I hate this idea that because it's New York, everyone should play for nothing.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
I hate this idea that because it's New York, everyone should play for nothing.
I hate the idea that because it's NY everyone should get a retirement contract.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
I hate the idea that because it's NY everyone should get a retirement contract.
Did I say I wanted a "retirement contract"? No. I'm saying that he shouldn't "have" to sign an under market value deal because he'd be playing for NY.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Ridiculous expectations to say the least.

And sure, not the end of the world - just more mediocrity and still 2 huge holes that Richards could fix.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Now hear the Sabres could make Brad Richards a huge, front-end loaded deal in neighborhood of 8 yrs and $60 mil with $50 mil in first 5 yrs
https://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetbrop...76412718407680

People are acting like the Rangers are the little sisters of the poor

Only 5 teams have more cap space than the Rangers

Islanders
Winnipeg
Colorado
Phoenix
Florida

Old
06-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

This is going to be an interesting day..

Old
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

Islanders
Winnipeg
Colorado
Phoenix
Florida

What's your gut feeling RB?

You think he ends up here?

Old
06-30-2011, 07:47 PM
azrok22

Quote:

Islanders
Winnipeg
Colorado
Phoenix
Florida
Sather has been almost as outspoken against retirement deals as Brian Burke has. Nothing suggests that he would be willing to engage in that type of contract.

The need for cap space is marginalized when you're artificially reducing the cap hit dramatically with throwaway years.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Janerixon

I want Brad Richards here more than most, but if he wants to go to the Sabres because they will give him more money than have a nice life.

He has been coached by Torts before and knows what it takes to win, and win in Torts system. He fills our top 2 needs: top line center and PP QB. He is supposedly good friends with Avery and has been spotted at Avery's bar with Sean. He is leaving Dallas because of their situation with their owner, well the Sabres have had plenty of ownership issues and so they have a new owner, lets see how it works out, too early to tell. Defintely will not be owner/money issues in NY (except that Dolan is a joke).

This team is a top line center and PP QB away from being able to get into the playoffs handily and hopefully make some noise, depends on health, 3rd line defense pairing, and how many goals/PP goals we can score this year.

Richards to NY makes so much sense, if 6 years with $8 million cap hit, front loaded 10, 8.5, 8.5, 8, 6.5, 6.5 with a no trade isn't enough well we tried and thats all I can ask for. We have had enough players come here just for money and if thats all he is after, no thanks enjoy buffalo.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:54 PM
azrok22

Quote:
RealKyper Nick Kypreos
#Sabres owner Terry Pegula on a roll! Convinces Regehr / Erhoff and now can't wait for his front loaded first 5yrs @ 50M offer for Richards.
Obviously speculation by Kyper, but this is exactly the type of deal I fear. Buffalo tacks 4 years at $1m at the end, and the cap hit for that is only $6m.

Sather won't come close to those dollars, imo.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"You always keep an eye on that first day of July, you see what teams do and where players go. It's always interesting," Richards told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "There's always something that surprises you. That's why I want to keep everything open-minded. I've talked to people that have been through it and there's always things that come out of nowhere and you want to be open-minded to receive all that stuff. It's probably my last contract, so you want to set yourself up where you have a chance to win and feel comfortable."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...atch-continues

Does Richards feel comfortable playing in Buffalo? They weren't on his list of teams. Pegulla can throw $50 million at him but does really matter when Richards is coming off a $39M contract. The Rangers aren't going to pay him below market. $6.5-$7M per cap hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sorry Sabres fans, spending 40 million on a second pair D doesn't have me thinking Stanley Cup. Then again ... #notmymoney!
https://twitter.com/#!/EJHradek_NHL/...83282677972993

Old
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Hes gonna end up not signing with us :'(

Old
06-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Sather won't come close to those dollars, imo.
Maybe he shouldn't? If Richards goes for a deal like that over a more conservatively structured deal his intentions are to make fast cash. I'd rather not sign a guy looking to get rich quick off us again.

Who knows what will happen should be fun.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:05 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Reading all of your comments are so funny.

The mood swings back and forth so confident that he will sign with us, to 2 hours later begin scared to death he will go somewhere else.

This is truly classic. I am just sitting back and enjoying all the scared comments while I count the minutes until the presser where we see #91 revealed in red, white, and blue.

06-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Reading all of your comments are so funny.

The mood swings back and forth so confident that he will sign with us, to 2 hours later begin scared to death he will go somewhere else.

This is truly classic. I am just sitting back and enjoying all the scared comments while I count the minutes until the presser where we see #91 revealed in red, white, and blue.
Winnipeg?

Old
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Um why are u guys acting like the rangers are broke? The sabres are new money running around flashing some bucks because they just got it. Making it a big deal that they give. Guy 10 mil a year for 5 years. Rangers are old money they're not gonna blink at giving a guy 10 mil. We gave Bobby holik 45 million dollars to center the 3rd line. we're paying a guy 6.5 for life to play in the ahl. Big friggen deal. We can run anything at Richards that buff can and then some. Chill out seriously

Old
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Maybe he shouldn't? If Richards goes for a deal like that over a more conservatively structured deal his intentions are to make fast cash. I'd rather not sign a guy looking to get rich quick off us again.

Who knows what will happen should be fun.
Excellent point, but I don't think it's a matter of pure greed.

The Rangers and Buffalo are similar teams with similarly bright futures. If one team is offering you $15m more than the other (assuming Sather offered $7m x 5 years vs. $54m/9 years by the Sabres), I wouldn't view that a question of greed, but a question of common sense, even if he really likes Torts/NY.

A reflection of pure greed would be someone going to a team offering slightly more money than the other, even though he might prefer the team offering less money. When you're talking about a $15m disparity, you'd have to be retarded to turn that down.

My anger is at the league for having the opportunity to close this loophole and so utterly failing with the Kovalchuk Amendment.

Nothing would make me happier than Richards ending up here on a reasonable term.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:12 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Um why are u guys acting like the rangers are broke? The sabres are new money running around flashing some bucks because they just got it. Making it a big deal that they give. Guy 10 mil a year for 5 years. Rangers are old money they're not gonna blink at giving a guy 10 mil. We gave Bobby holik 45 million dollars to center the 3rd line. we're paying a guy 6.5 for life to play in the ahl. Big friggen deal. We can run anything at Richards that buff can and then some. Chill out seriously
It's not a matter of our financial ability to do this. It's a matter of our principled approach of not engaging in these types of cap circumvention deals.

Due to the significant cap advantage these types of deals offer, if one team is offering one and the other is not, there will be a massive disparity in the money available to the player despite similar cap hits.

Closed Thread