HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cgy - Wsh

Old
06-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Tont

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Look at the stats.
Watch hockey.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:24 AM
The Instigator

vCash: 500
I'm not saying we should trade any of our goalies for him, but he is better. Keep in mind he played for the Calgary Flames. They suck.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
nik-

Quote:
Look at the stats.
I'm sure alot of goalies could juke the stats rocking a massive 48 games in a season.

Man, this site has some seriously hilarious posts sometimes.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotamus View Post
Watch hockey.
Fine retort. Kipper was 32nd among goalies in save percentage last season. I suppose that's all on the team in front of him?

Here's an idea for the Caps if they want to upgrade in goal: Sign a better goalie (Vokoun) to a cheaper contract and don't give up any assets.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:27 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm sure alot of goalies could juke the stats rocking a massive 48 games in a season.

Man, this site has some seriously hilarious posts sometimes.
Yeah, like those that claim Miika freaking Kiprusoff is a top-5 goalie. He sure juked the stats rocking those 71 games. Juked them into making him look like a bottom 5 goalie.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:28 AM
nik-

Quote:
Yeah, like those that claim Miika freaking Kiprusoff is a top-5 goalie. He sure juked the stats in those 71 games. Juked them into making him look like a bottom 5 goalie.
All I'm saying is that he's better than your goalie who has played less games in his career than Kiprusoff does in a season.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
All I'm saying is that he's better than your goalie who has played less games in his career than Kiprusoff does in a season.
All I'm saying is that he's not. He's been a good goalie one season since his Vezina year and is on a massive contract. And who cares how many games they've played?

Old
06-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Tont

vCash: 491
Quote:
Fine retort. Kipper was 32nd among goalies in save percentage last season. I suppose that's all on the team in front of him?

Here's an idea for the Caps if they want to upgrade in goal: Sign a better goalie (Vokoun) to a cheaper contract and don't give up any assets.
Says the guy who just posted 'look at the stats'

About Vokoun, that's a great idea, they should do that. I'm not arguing Kipper's trade value here. I'm contesting your statement that Neuvirth/Holtby are better than Kiprusoff. I watched 30+ games of both Neuvirth and Kiprusoff last season and Kiprusoff is the better goaltender. Two or three years from now this probably won't be the case, which is why I wouldn't do the deal is it was proposed in the OP if I was the Caps GM. But to say that Kiprusoff right now would be a downgrade in goal for the Caps is flat-out wrong, IMO.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:04 AM
The Instigator

Shake your dicks, this pissing contest is over.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 08:53 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotamus View Post
Says the guy who just posted 'look at the stats'

About Vokoun, that's a great idea, they should do that. I'm not arguing Kipper's trade value here. I'm contesting your statement that Neuvirth/Holtby are better than Kiprusoff. I watched 30+ games of both Neuvirth and Kiprusoff last season and Kiprusoff is the better goaltender. Two or three years from now this probably won't be the case, which is why I wouldn't do the deal is it was proposed in the OP if I was the Caps GM. But to say that Kiprusoff right now would be a downgrade in goal for the Caps is flat-out wrong, IMO.
OK, explain to me why a good goaltender has a save percentage of .906 or under for 3 of the last 4 years.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
Why would Calgary only take back 1 good peice from trading Kiprusoff? I'd expect them to want at least Alzner on that return.
LOL WUT!??!?!

We get a declining goalie with a huge cap hit and you get a young goalie who is good right now and is only going to get better AND you want one of our 1st pairing D men?

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:12 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
lol yes downgrade.

Kipper has been an above-average NHL goalie once in the last 4 seasons.

Definitely a downgrade in goal for the Caps.

Imagine the Caps offense and defense in front of him as opposed to Calgary...

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Good to know anyone over the age of 30 is DECLINING.

Ex 1: Iginla. This guy would be a top 3 forward on any team in this league. He will be at least as efficient and play as long as Selanne has maybe even longer because he is in amazing shape and in the offseason he stays fit. I think he will pot in 30+ goals till the age of 40.

Ex 2: Kipper. Goalies age means S***. I mean look at Thomas. It's funny to listen to people here about the save % stats. Lowest in the nhl, he is a bottom 5 goalie in the league.... The Flames D in front of him got worse from 2004 to 2011. Personally I think that Kipper is a top 10 goalie in the league. Watch him play before you google his stats.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Haatley

Quote:
Wait, are Caps' fans serious about dealing one of the young (and cheap) goalies for Kiprusoff??

An average NHL starting goaltender has a save percentage of typically around .915 in any given year.

Kipper's save percentages in the last four years: .906, .920, .903, .906

He's been a well below-average starter for 3 of the last four years.

He's 34 with 3 more years left at $5.83M.

He's not even a top 15 NHL goalie, let alone this top-5 nonsense.

The only way I'd trade for him if I were the Caps is if I had to take him to get Iginla or Giordano.
yeah look at the stats
as a starter for 7 years he has a record of 276-177 a 2.46 gaa and a .913 sv% with 40 shut outs

set nhl records

was a stanley cup finalist, an olympic silver medalist.

but thats okay, varlamov and neuvirth are better, right?

his sv% was 920 2 seasons ago. last year, alllllllllllll the flames sucked until christmas.

do your homework!

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I thought that by "here" he meant "Calgary", not "this thread/trade proposal". Which is it?
Well I do live in calgary but I don't know how you inferred I was telling about my geographical location. What if I lived in rankin inlet?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Well I do live in calgary but I don't know how you inferred I was telling about my geographical location. What if I lived in rankin inlet?
Not your geographical location, but the location of the team from which you proposed the trade? Whatever. So yes, Kiprusoff has the best resume out of any of the players mentioned in the OP (except for, as always, the amazing Poti). Speaking of which I thought it was pretty clear, but I guess I should have included the in my Poti-Iginla post. Basing a trade around that... I don't think even Calgary's GM would do that.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM
FrankM73

As a Caps fan, I'd be tempted because Varly's departure and one injury to Neuvirth or Holtby means that our backup is likely an NHL journeyman and you can't win a cup with that.

having said that, Holtby and Nuevy both played very well last year and I have full confidence in them splitting time for the whole season or even if one runs with it for 60+ games.

enticing trade, but goaltending is not our weakness, 2nd line Center and a 1/2RW is...

getting Iginla would require overpayment and GMGM doesn't do that 95% of the time...

conclusion: caps and flames aren't good trading partners in a goalie trade... others maybe, but not neuvy and kipper!

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Foy

No interest whatsoever in Kipper or his cap hit.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
yeah look at the stats
as a starter for 7 years he has a record of 276-177 a 2.46 gaa and a .913 sv% with 40 shut outs

set nhl records

was a stanley cup finalist, an olympic silver medalist.

but thats okay, varlamov and neuvirth are better, right?

his sv% was 920 2 seasons ago. last year, alllllllllllll the flames sucked until christmas.

do your homework!
All the "Here's what he's done in the past" logic make work if you are talking to the Washington Redskins, but not the Caps. Kipper is paid triple what he should be paid, and he's a below average goaltender at this point. Not saying he wasn't great in the past, he simply isn't anymore.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Northern Neighbour

I was thinking that a deal such as follows would benefit both clubs:

Kiprusoff and Bourque for Semin and Neuvirth/Holtby (pick one).

But apparently Caps fans are very high on their young goaltenders. I cannot blame them, although I think Washington needs to get a veteran goaltender and one that is a legitimate #1 for the next two years to give one of the young goaltenders additional time and mentorship to develop.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post

But apparently Caps fans are very high on their young goaltenders. I cannot blame them, although I think Washington needs to get a veteran goaltender and one that is a legitimate #1 for the next two years to give one of the young goaltenders additional time and mentorship to develop.
Not so much high on their goalies as they are down on Kipper.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Not so much high on their goalies as they are down on Kipper.
It's really just not prudent, when you have multiple promising but unproven commodities pushing for a single position, to trade one away. That's like putting all the eggs in the other basket. The internal competition has to sort itself out first.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Not interested in trading Kipper, the guy is one of the elite goalies in the game. Don't let last years' stats fool anybody - he's much better than they indicate. Kipper was single-handedly the difference as to why we didn't finish bottom of the conference last year. The rest of the team infront of him has to be as good too... which they weren't.

And, as alot of us experience hockey fans know, age doesn't mean squat in goal (just ask Tim Thomas, four years older than Kipper). Goalies can be productive right into their 40's. Goalies have a much longer shelf life than forwards or defense do.

If anyone wants Kipper, they'll have to pay a nice return for him. His cap hit is decent, and he's still one of the best goalies in the league at this point in time.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:39 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
OK, explain to me why a good goaltender has a save percentage of .906 or under for 3 of the last 4 years.
I love HF posters who don't watch Hockey, it humors me. Caps get Kipper and they might acutally be a real PO team

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
It's really just not prudent, when you have multiple promising but unproven commodities pushing for a single position, to trade one away. That's like putting all the eggs in the other basket. The internal competition has to sort itself out first.
For the Caps, prudence to me would be strengthening the club to have a prolonged playoff run, and getting Kiprusoff would do that. Adding Bourque would add more grit to the Caps but with little decrease in offensive production.

And with three young goaltenders already on the roster, the Caps can afford to deal one, especially if it means getting a veteran, elite (although people can debate the term "elite") goaltender in return. Kiprusoff IMO would improve the Caps' title chances over the next two years, by which time one of the youngsters should be ready to assume the duties full-time.

The Red Wings did something similar more than a decade ago after watching Chris Osgood struggle in the playoffs. So they went out and acquired Mike Vernon, who helped the Wings break their Cup drought and he also served as a mentor to Osgood, who would backstop the Wings to the Cup the following year.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote