HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question: college players

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2004, 07:27 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Question: college players

I know that there is an NCAA rule about college players accepting money or gifts from any organization. My question is, who pays for all the players to fly to the draft destination. Then in the Rangers case, who pays for their flight to NY. Staying in NY is very expensive. Then the prospects camp that we have in Calgary. I know I couldn't afford it on my salary so how is it that these college players can pay their way?

Old
07-26-2004, 08:24 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I don't know about the draft, but to get to the prospect camps, NCAA players have to pay their own way, otherwise, they lose their eligibility. You've got to keep in mind that paying for flights, room and board in Calgary isn't just spending money for the families of these kids, it's an investment in their future. You or I might not be able to justify the expense, but if our future careers depended on it, I'm sure that we'd be able to scratch the money together. There's also nothing to say that they don't come from well-off families that can afford it.

Old
07-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Synergy27

Yeah, I cant say that I know for a fact that most NHL players came from well-to-do families, but I can say for a fact that out of all the team sports, hockey is the most expensive to participate in. Even in high school hockey, only the more affluent towns have ice hockey in their program, and the parents are still responsible for buying the equipment. That being said, I think its fair to say that a good portion of the kids that are able to continue playing into college come from families that have atleast a little disposable income (you know Hugh Jessiman's family has got to be loaded).

Also keep in mind that most of these college kids are playing on scholarship, so that in itself gives them alot more pocket cash to throw around than your average college kid.

Closed Thread