HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Avs offer sheet Stamkos or Doughty?

Old
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Crisp Breakout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I believe they have, but even if they don't i would be reluctant to give 4 1st rounders for Doughty, only d-man i would give up 4 1st rounders without thinking twice is Weber, but he isn't avaliable for offer sheets.
Really? Doughty is going to be something special. Weber might be thought to be better now, but by the time they retire choosing Weber over Doughty will look silly I think.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Really? Doughty is going to be something special. Weber might be thought to be better now, but by the time they retire choosing Weber over Doughty will look silly I think.
I would be thrilled with either one of the two on the team.

That being said, I am not a fan of offer sheets.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
avsman

I would never offer sheet, its like counting cards-just dirty

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I'd rather us offer the Kings Colorado's next four first round picks straight up than offer sheeting. There's something inherently dirty about the process.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Idea - 7 years $52 million offer sheet for Doughty. 2 1st round picks, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The Kings would never take that package for Doughty but $7.4 might be too much for the Kings to pay. Not sure if I want to Avs to send an offer sheet

Steve Varmalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucheneToJones View Post
Idea - 7 years $52 million offer sheet for Doughty. 2 1st round picks, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The Kings would never take that package for Doughty but $7.4 might be too much for the Kings to pay. Not sure if I want to Avs to send an offer sheet
You don't let players who are a Norris candidate their rookie year walk. Period. It's a waste of time to even try.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
You don't let players who are a Norris candidate their rookie year walk. Period. It's a waste of time to even try.
I agree. I think the Kings would rather waive Richards than let Doughty go due to cap constraints.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
What about Bogosian? We sign him at 3 million its only a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't expect it to not be matched by the Jets, but theres no harm in trying

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
avs1dacup

This offer sheet talk is silly anyways. It's happened, what, 5 or 6 times since the lock out? That's less than 1% of all RFAs over that time period. I wish that the league would just get rid of this. It's rarely used and all it does is **** with the cap and encourages "revenge" signings with also ****s with the cap.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
This offer sheet talk is silly anyways. It's happened, what, 5 or 6 times since the lock out? That's less than 1% of all RFAs over that time period. I wish that the league would just get rid of this. It's rarely used and all it does is **** with the cap and encourages "revenge" signings with also ****s with the cap.
You're silly. A silly goose.

Old
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
You're silly. A silly goose.
Possibly. Care to explain?

Old
06-30-2011, 04:14 PM
18Mike18

I would for Doughty

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The pearl clutching is also hysterical because the reactions came mainly from Brian Burke and the Canucks fanbase, the two biggest whiners in the sport.

I remember telling someone predicting the imminent demise of the NHL because of the Penner sheet to come talk to me when their team needed to come up with a $15 million dollar signing bonus.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
That's all I've got.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Offer sheets exist to help keep the RFA-owning team honest. If there was no sense of the market for those agents then we could really shaft them. For example, when Duchene's up for RFA if there were no offer sheets then we could tell him sign for 1M or you can sit out the year. Lucky for him, he can just wait for the market to decide his price, but the rights-owning team gets the player still. RFA and offer sheets are a check and balance system to make sure teams get to keep talent, but have to pay them fairly.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Offer sheets exist to help keep the RFA-owning team honest. If there was no sense of the market for those agents then we could really shaft them. For example, when Duchene's up for RFA if there were no offer sheets then we could tell him sign for 1M or you can sit out the year. Lucky for him, he can just wait for the market to decide his price, but the rights-owning team gets the player still. RFA and offer sheets are a check and balance system to make sure teams get to keep talent, but have to pay them fairly.
Isn't arbitration a better and more often utilized check and balance for this though? Player feels he's not getting an offer from the team that holds his rights so he takes the team to arbitration. The arbitrator then decides on a fair salary for either 1 or 2 years after which a player is a UFA. If a player has a 3 year ELC and then goes to arbitration, thats already 5 years and at minimum 23 years of age that a player becomes a UFA. Not saying it's perfect. Not saying there's no other better ways. Just saying I feel that offer sheets are useless in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Isn't arbitration a better and more often utilized check and balance for this though? Player feels he's not getting an offer from the team that holds his rights so he takes the team to arbitration. The arbitrator then decides on a fair salary for either 1 or 2 years after which a player is a UFA. If a player has a 3 year ELC and then goes to arbitration, thats already 5 years and at minimum 23 years of age that a player becomes a UFA. Not saying it's perfect. Not saying there's no other better ways. Just saying I feel that offer sheets are useless in the NHL.
You might see arbitration more often, but offer sheets are always there serving as an incentive for clubs to not lowball their players. Arbitration is definitely a difficult art. For most players in their early years it's tough to find a comparable player because it's hard to tell what kind of player they will be. A guy with high potential might have scored few points in his first two years, and through arbitration he would likely get much less than another team might offer. Conversely if an arbiter were to award based on potential, teams would likely be upset with the outcome.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Avalicious18

NO WAY. We're still in a rebuild state, we need all of the picks we can possibly get. Giving them away is what put us at the bottom to begin with.

Avalicious18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:45 PM
AvsPredsFan19

He is staying in TB. I sure of it. If the avs can try to get him so try.

Last edited by AvsPredsFan19: 06-30-2011 at 07:50 PM.
AvsPredsFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:28 PM
hejdukation
Draft: Team Burgundy

Send a message via AIM to hejdukation Send a message via Yahoo to hejdukation
I don't like the idea of offer sheets, either. They're predatory and exude an aura of negotiating in bad faith.

Remember when Neil Smith gave Sakic that offer sheet in 1997? Fans were furious and even though he didn't say so publicly, Pierre Lacroix was enraged at Sather for trying to sign his franchise captain away (as evidenced by the infamous "one-fingered salute" fax to Smith's office after the Avs matched the offer). People remember that stuff; they remember how the felt when another franchise plays the role of dastardly interloper to lure their stars away with a fat, shiny, bloated contract.

I wouldn't want this franchise to start engaging in that kind of predatory behavior. With that said, I say no to the offer sheets for Doughty and Stamkos. Leave those antics to the Neil Smiths and the Brian Burkes of the hockey world.

Last edited by hejdukation: 06-30-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Hasbro corrected me in following post. Thanks, Hasbro!
hejdukation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

It was Neil Smith not Sather.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
The smart guy to offer sheet would be Keith Yandle. You think Phoenix could match if someone threw 6.5 million a season at him?

Yeah, they could match, and then subsequently sign Ty Conklin for the league minimum to be their starting goalie.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
chet1926

I'm sorry I just don't see what is so bad about offer sheeting people. It part of the game, it not our fault that another team can't get their player signed before free agency.

So what if it pisses off another GM or the fans of another franchise. If teams really thought their guy was all that then they would have already shelled out the money to get him signed before free agency. They would have made the trades and cuts necessary to get the player signed.

I'm sure Stamkos and Doughty want contract on par with their performance. They shouldn't have to take a home town discount. The thing people overlook is the player signs the offer sheet, they could just as easily say no I'm not signing it.

If I was the Avs and free agency hit I would be throwing an offer at Doughty. Reason being is 1. he is a stud 2. we have plenty of money to offer 3. even while the other team is trying to match it we can still make moves in UFA because we have so much free space, so even if the other team matches down the line you can still go ahead with your other offseason plans and get everyone else you wanted.

Dirty pool or not its part of the game, so I say go for it. The worst thing that happens is you make another teams GM/fanbase pissed at you, oh darn.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Offer sheets shouldn't be used to sign top young talent (Stamkos, Doughty, etc) because the team can just match. It's better to use them on 2nd tier talent who you feel are about to break out. A good example is when the Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
I think itd be a bad idea, but it sure would be exciting, wouldn't it? And a huge PR move too.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote