HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke in Afghanistan on Eve of FA Frenzy

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
ThreeHundred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Burke gets paid 5 million a year to take care of this ship. Certainly supporting the troops is a good cause and nobody is going to debate that, but the troops have been there for 10 years, and the timing of this is bad.

Even if Nonis is handling everything -- just for the smallest and tinyest chance that he is needed here -- he should be.

Afghanistan could wait until next month and he doesn't need to be there at arguable the most important time of year.

Sorry Burke, actually I'm not sorry, you are always busy calling people out -- well it's your time to face the music and the 5 million a year you get to manage this team says your butt should be here. No excuses -- this is bad management. You can support the troops on another day -- they've been there for ten years -- and you didn't need to be there right now.

Unless Brad Richards is in Afghanistan then there's no reason Burke should be. But I'm sure Brad isn't becuase this is one of the most important days of his career and is sticking around just in-case he is needed.

Burke will never admit he isn't perfect but he's made some mistake -- big mistakes -- hopefully this doesn't become one of them.
I agree!

LOL @ Brad Richards in Afghanistan

If he doesn't get a #1 Center this summer - people will bash him for not being here on July 1st.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
What if Brad Richards want to hear it from the horses mouth -- hear what Burke's plans are for the team before signing? And Burke is off in some dessert unreachable?

Supporting the troops is admirable but the timing of this is bad.
If Brad Richards doesn't understand that Burke is in a war zone supporting our troops and is pissed off because he has to deal with Nonis, then I can't say that I want him here anyway. It's not like he's going on vacation to Muskoka or anything.

Richards is from PEI and the maritimes have big time support for the military both with enlistments and by extension, their families. Hell, he probably has relatives in the military. He should understand and he should be proud to work for a GM that has the same kind of support.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
LeafDangler

Agents will be the ones negotiating these deals. Not the players themselves. Any agent who turns down a good deal for his client because he was only able to speak to Burke over the phone because he was in Afghanistan is a bad agent. I fail to see a problem here.

Furthermore, it's pretty clear that Nonis handles the vast majority of negotiations.

Brad Richards is the only marquee guy and that ship appears to have sailed. Why don't we wait and see the results before moaning and complaining.

Personally I'd be content with no big name signings at all.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Afghanistan could wait until next month and he doesn't need to be there at arguable the most important time of year.

Sorry Burke, actually I'm not sorry, you are always busy calling people out -- well it's your time to face the music and the 5 million a year you get to manage this team says your butt should be here. No excuses -- this is bad management. You can support the troops on another day -- they've been there for ten years -- and you didn't need to be there right now.

Unless Brad Richards is in Afghanistan then there's no reason Burke should be. But I'm sure Brad isn't becuase this is one of the most important days of his career and is sticking around just in-case he is needed.

Burke will never admit he isn't perfect but he's made some mistake -- big mistakes -- hopefully this doesn't become one of them.
It's Canada Day. What better day should someone be supporting our troops. God some of you are in sufferable. You know hockey is not everything.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
What if Brad Richards want to hear it from the horses mouth -- hear what Burke's plans are for the team before signing? And Burke is off in some dessert unreachable?

Supporting the troops is admirable but the timing of this is bad.
If he is knee deep in ice cream and needs assistance that is his own doing.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
FireEverybody*

haha this is actually funny.

Burke can enter a conference call from anywhere in the world just as easy as he can from Toronto.

No way people are this young or ignorant to the world.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:02 AM
MajinBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heis3nberg View Post
This thread is making it way too easy to spot all the young kids on this board. It's Canada Day, who are you to say what Burke should be doing with his time?
AND it's his birthday. Guy can do whatever he wants on his birthday.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heis3nberg View Post
This thread is making it way too easy to spot all the young kids on this board. It's Canada Day, who are you to say what Burke should be doing with his time?
Isn't Burke American?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post
The same way he would do it if he was in Canada ... Over the ****ing phone. ...

wow.. you people are too much.

You think our Troops are sitting in a desert with no phones or internet ?
You know it is not 1965 atm right ?
Have you ever done business at a large scale? If you have then you know that face-to-face still and always will beat the heck out oof a phone call.

I own a business and deals with my largest clients are done face to face. It's much more effective. Just like it was in 1965.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Maybe he'll meet up with Roman Cervenka and Alexander Radulov while he's over there?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
It's Canada Day. What better day should someone be supporting our troops. God some of you are in sufferable. You know hockey is not everything.
It is everything when its your job and you are being paid 5 million a year to do it.

Just wondering -- does your boss let you take vacation at the busiest time of year?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Have you ever done business at a large scale? If you have then you know that face-to-face still and always will beat the heck out oof a phone call.

I own a business and deals with my largest clients are done face to face. It's much more effective. Just like it was in 1965.
Okay you're a troll.
No way you think Brad Richards has 20 GMs knocking at his door July 1 st.

Seriously ... no way you believe that.
Yous' trollin'

Old
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heis3nberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
Isn't Burke American?
OUCH!

Old
06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

i can't get over the clowns in this thread that have a problem with this. give your ****ing head a shake... do you seriously think it makes a difference if burke is on his phone in afghanistan or in toronto? if you do, well, i'm sorry but chances are you're retarded. we have 3 people working under burke who are perfectly capable of signing players. if you actually knew what you were talking about you'd know that it's usally nonis that does the FA signings. burke was in sweden trying to get this sedins one year too, and it sure as hell didn't stop us from signing players.

burke made this trip before and spoke very highly of the experience. i don't think any of you could ever understand or appreciate how much it means to both the troops and him to be there. some of you are acting like children crying over spilled milk... anyone with half a brain would realize this has abosolutely no effect on who we'll sign july 1st.

to hellasleafs, do you even know what good PR and bad PR is? this is the definition of good PR. please explain to me how exactly this makes burke look bad. do you really expect burke to be in toronto just to satisfy a bunch of ignorant hockey fans who have absolutely no clue about how free agency works? that is bad PR in your mind?

Old
06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
If Brad Richards doesn't understand that Burke is in a war zone supporting our troops and is pissed off because he has to deal with Nonis, then I can't say that I want him here anyway. It's not like he's going on vacation to Muskoka or anything.

Richards is from PEI and the maritimes have big time support for the military both with enlistments and by extension, their families. Hell, he probably has relatives in the military. He should understand and he should be proud to work for a GM that has the same kind of support.
Well hopefully Brad has a big soft spot in his heart for the troops and Burke being there brings a tear to his eye and he says 'that's a man I want to play for'.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
OUCH!
The troops are Canadian, genius. ..
He is doing it for the troops. Him and Luke went over ..

Old
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:

For sure. I see your point but honestly, that's the kind of treatment that stars get. What stars are we going after? Richards seems a long shot. You're not wrong but come on, this really isn't a big deal.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
MajinBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Maybe he'll meet up with Roman Cervenka and Alexander Radulov while he's over there?
Why are they in Afghanistan? hahaha

Old
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
It is everything when its your job and you are being paid 5 million a year to do it.

Just wondering -- does your boss let you take vacation at the busiest time of year?
I didn't realize that going to Afghanistan was a "vacation"...

This trip was also planned long before anyone knew that BR would hit FA.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
topched

Quote:

You're business I'm sure pails in comparison to the magnitude of the scale Burke is working at.

Thats no slight to you, none whatsoever... I'm just saying that I think face to face is overrated on the first day of free agency. Burke goes face to face with Richards lets say (assuming he has had ZERO discussions with Morris or Richards to begin with) he wastes his time with Richards because he likely won't sign first day anyways, and we're in the same spot still with Nonis and co. handling every other FA.

Face to faces rarely ever happen these days. Its not effective on the first day of FA when you're likely targeting 7-8 other players as possible candidates for your team next year. Richards won't have time to go face to face with anyone today and likely won't want to. He's going to field offers from 4-5 teams and then mull those offers over and narrow down to the serious ones. The whole point of FA is to show equal interest in all teams and let the market drive up your price. Richards isn't going to tip his hand by meeting with people face to face until he's fielded all offers and then MAYBE will go and let those teams make their final pitch.

And on top of that whose to say Dudley or somebody won't be at his doorstep Friday morning? We dont know that. But I can tell you one things for sure, Burke wouldn't be going door to door around the continent to woo free agents. His job is much higher up than that, he has to oversee everything.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Okay you're a troll.

Yous' trollin'
I think its the fact that he's not here angers people - especially considering our lack of depth at Center which we need to address. If this was Ken Holland, then it might be different - considering the state the Detroit Red Wings are in. People are mad because out of all days, you decide to go somewhere on JULY 1st! A huge day for this team & he's the GM!

Old
06-30-2011, 10:11 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Okay you're a troll.

Yous' trollin'
It's easy to call someone a "troll" when you don't have a point or you disagree.

Just an fyi -- you might want to read the rules of this forum before you call someone a troll. But even better you might want to have a point.

Just wondering why people fly around the world to do business when there's a 'phone'? Think of all the money they could save.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post

Really? How do you know this lol

Old
06-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
He brought Luke Schenn with him?

I expect this whole Middle East situation to be sorted out within the next couple days.

Old
06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post

July 1st isn't the beginning of UFA every year? Brad Richards hasn't been scheduled to become a UFA for sometime now?

Closed Thread