HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Perron practicing with team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
  #76
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canberra
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Joe Thornton was coming out of the penalty box and was apparently making a bee-line for the San Jose bench.

Perron was skating through the neutral zone and looking back slightly to his right. In other words, Perron was not paying attention and he ran smack into Thornton's shoulder.

Hard to place blame on Thornton because he's so damn big and his shoulder met with Perron's face. But if I was to place blame on anyone, then it would have to be Perron for not paying attention to what was in front of him.

Granted it all happened so fast that, at first, Perron's lane in the neutral zone was clear and then Thornton's penalty expired and then the hit.

That's basically what happened.


Joe made a beeline to hit Perron as hard as he could from the blind side, David didn't see him coming because he was looking for the pass. I don't know why you guys are arguing that when this is the internet age.

Thornton took out Perron on purpose. Perron didn't see him coming, if only the coaches had made the decision to take David out of the game right there.

The culprit here is the armor they call padding these days. Take out the hard plastic shoulder pads and I think we have Perry back before the end of the season.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
  #77
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Yep, I watched the video again about an hour ago and still don't think Thornton purposefully hit Perron in the head. I've watched many times and still come to the same conclusion.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  #78
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,330
vCash: 500
Not sure he was literally aiming for his head, but he was certainly anticipating the hit and had already tried to throw a nasty boarding hit on Oshie that game, he looked like he was playing angry against us and that's why I saw the hit as dirty. He wanted a real ugly hit, he wanted to catch Perron looking, and he wanted to punish our team for getting in his head. I don't think he's that kind of player, but he was having that kind of night and I'm not sure what else would have gone wrong if it didn't get him tossed.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
  #79
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I don't mean to be negative, but I'm getting to the point where I'd be surprised to see David in a Blues game again before the trade deadline.
Yeah sadly this recovery seems to mirror the massive delay that Bouchard had to get through. I applaud David and the front office for being this patient and this positive though. Nothing has to be more frustrating and disappointing than waiting for your brain to heal, just so you can use your body properly again. On the bright side if he gets sick of Spanish, maybe someone should get him started on a Eastern European or Scandanavian dialect so he can be our team ambassador.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
  #80
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Joe Thornton was coming out of the penalty box and was apparently making a bee-line for the San Jose bench.

Perron was skating through the neutral zone and looking back slightly to his right. In other words, Perron was not paying attention and he ran smack into Thornton's shoulder.

Hard to place blame on Thornton because he's so damn big and his shoulder met with Perron's face. But if I was to place blame on anyone, then it would have to be Perron for not paying attention to what was in front of him.

Granted it all happened so fast that, at first, Perron's lane in the neutral zone was clear and then Thornton's penalty expired and then the hit.

That's basically what happened.
hmm, if jumbo wants to skate to the bench why the hell did he skate straight in his own zone to help out his D? changed his mind?

and I don`t know if you play hockey but what I can tell you is that if you are a head taller than me but I have more speed and we have an accident cause we dont see each other you wouldn`t skate on like nothing happend, you`d kiss the ice too.
Thornton was prepared to hit, he wanted it

and for the "he doesn`t have a history" thing: he`s not the first player (with or without history) who comes out pi**ed from the penaltybox and make a stupid thing.
not everyone is a Matt Cooke but nearly everyone has a little Matt sitting on his shoulder

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
  #81
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
If Thornton came out looking for a hit, then the video would have showed him following through on the hit. Instead he turned his back and Perron ran into him.

EDIT: Just watched AGAIN and there is no follow-through on the hit. If someone wants to hit another player, then there's almost invariably some sort of follow-through.

I don't understand what the whining is all about. Perron ****ed


Last edited by WalterSobchak: 08-03-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: removed flaming
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
  #82
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,696
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
If Thornton came out looking for a hit, then the video would have showed him following through on the hit. Instead he turned his back and Perron ran into him.

EDIT: Just watched AGAIN and there is no follow-through on the hit. If someone wants to hit another player, then there's almost invariably some sort of follow-through.

I don't understand what the whining is all about. Perron ****ed
I don't see how you don't see Thornton throwing his shoulder/elbow into the hit.


Last edited by WalterSobchak: 08-03-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: qdp
bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
  #83
Lucifer T Longfellow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
When I watch it at the 1:08 mark it looks to me like Thornton alters his skating steps to time the hit perfectly. I think he knew that he was going to be able to get a free shot on a vulnerable player and he went high with it. IMO it was a dirty play.

Lucifer T Longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:32 PM
  #84
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,696
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Easy. He didn't throw his shoulder and elbow into the hit. He didn't even lean in for the hit. But if you wanna be a homer, then go for it.
Start that clip that was posted at 30 seconds in and you will see Thornton see the pass being made to Perron and Thornton going to hit Perron and then Thornton turn and go to his defensive zone, not to the bench to make a change.

I honestly don't see Thornton just skating hard to his bench to make a change and Perron simply running into him making for an unlucky play. Thornton knew what he was doing, he may not have meant for Perron to get a concussion, but he meant to hit him.

As for Thornton throwing his shoulder into the hit, you can clearly see his shoulder/elbow go from being against his body to being extended after the hit, thus being thrown into the hit.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:19 PM
  #85
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canberra
Country: Australia
Posts: 11,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Start that clip that was posted at 30 seconds in and you will see Thornton see the pass being made to Perron and Thornton going to hit Perron and then Thornton turn and go to his defensive zone, not to the bench to make a change.

I honestly don't see Thornton just skating hard to his bench to make a change and Perron simply running into him making for an unlucky play. Thornton knew what he was doing, he may not have meant for Perron to get a concussion, but he meant to hit him.

As for Thornton throwing his shoulder into the hit, you can clearly see his shoulder/elbow go from being against his body to being extended after the hit, thus being thrown into the hit.
Thornton definately leaned into the hit, the height difference didn't require him to leave his feet but his momentum was placed in the direction of blowing Perron up.

David didn't impact with the ice much at all, all of the impact comes from Joe leading with his shoulder impacting directly into his head.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:27 PM
  #86
Ranger482
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
He picks his right leg up to brace himself and lean into the hit off of his left leg. It's plain as day....

Ranger482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
  #87
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger482 View Post
He picks his right leg up to brace himself and lean into the hit off of his left leg. It's plain as day....
Whatever you say buddy. You win. Don't really care that much.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
  #88
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,087
vCash: 500
Later fellas. I'm outta here.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
  #89
River City Rumble
Registered Loser
 
River City Rumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Drinkscotch Center
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 853
vCash: 500
From AOL Sporting News:
Quote:
"David has made significant progress over the last few months. While he is still experiencing intermittent symptoms, we believe he is close to ramping up to a training program and getting back on the ice. To attempt to put a time frame on his return now does not serve a useful purpose at this time," Walsh wrote in a text to Sporting News.

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:28 PM
  #90
Celtic Note
Thanks very little
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 9,486
vCash: 500
I had a gut feeling this would happen. The guy has been recovering slowly and there is no need to rush him.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
  #91
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Thornton definately leaned into the hit, the height difference didn't require him to leave his feet but his momentum was placed in the direction of blowing Perron up.

David didn't impact with the ice much at all, all of the impact comes from Joe leading with his shoulder impacting directly into his head.
Exactly. Some people act like Thornton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he knew what he was doing.

On a side note, good to see Kerber call out David Ambers today for calling Perron a faker and Amber basically responded apologizing.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:48 PM
  #92
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Exactly. Some people act like Thornton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, he knew what he was doing.

On a side note, good to see Kerber call out David Ambers today for calling Perron a faker and Amber basically responded apologizing.
Took a while for that apology, but at least he was man enough to do it. Can you give me a link?

I see no point to arguing Thornton's intent at this late stage. Everyone can view the video. No one can read Joe's mind. As for me, I think it was a hit. But I think the NHL rules are screwy and its tricky for players to know what is/isn't a penalty.

No one is blaming Pietro for the pass, which could warrant a bit of credit for setting up Perron.

I really don't care. I mean, Thornton was suspended (I think appropriately). But I don't believe he had intent to injure and what more can be done about it now regardless of his intent at the time? The rules need to be clarified.

I'd like to see a simple rule: any blow where the principle point of contact is the head is a penalty. That would be a lot less ambiguous, and would actually look like the league cares about concussions. Have graduated fines/suspensions for repeat offenders or egregiousness of the hit.

But none of that brings Perron back faster. Hopefully he'll have time to get into shape, rejoin the team and become a contributor on the ice again. But with missing so much conditioning time, I don't expect him to get back up to speed for months....probably most of the season depending when he returns.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:31 AM
  #93
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Take your time #57. We want you in St. Louis for many, many years.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:15 AM
  #94
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year
 
Skip2myBordyloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 50
hope him and mueller can come back

two great young stars in the making, if they find their rhythm,

just realized that it was the thornton hit, that was a massive suicide pass by the D man there, i would have been benched for making a play like that in jr.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
  #95
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
hope him and mueller can come back

two great young stars in the making, if they find their rhythm,

just realized that it was the thornton hit, that was a massive suicide pass by the D man there, i would have been benched for making a play like that in jr.
Can we stop with this type of thinking?

People want to claim that it was a risky pass..and I just shake my head. Call me dumb, flame me, I don't care.

It was a careless hit by Thornton, period. To somehow put any type of blame on 1) Pietrangelo for making an outlet pass and 2) Blaming Perron for having his head turned/down (the other silly argument).

I'm sorry but it's time to put stop blaming people for one man's careless (not intentional;to injure) actions.

ChicagoBlues..I generally agree with your posts but I frankly have no idea what the hell you're watching. Sorry man.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
  #96
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Took a while for that apology, but at least he was man enough to do it. Can you give me a link?

I see no point to arguing Thornton's intent at this late stage. Everyone can view the video. No one can read Joe's mind. As for me, I think it was a hit. But I think the NHL rules are screwy and its tricky for players to know what is/isn't a penalty.

No one is blaming Pietro for the pass, which could warrant a bit of credit for setting up Perron.

I really don't care. I mean, Thornton was suspended (I think appropriately). But I don't believe he had intent to injure and what more can be done about it now regardless of his intent at the time? The rules need to be clarified.

I'd like to see a simple rule: any blow where the principle point of contact is the head is a penalty. That would be a lot less ambiguous, and would actually look like the league cares about concussions. Have graduated fines/suspensions for repeat offenders or egregiousness of the hit.

But none of that brings Perron back faster. Hopefully he'll have time to get into shape, rejoin the team and become a contributor on the ice again. But with missing so much conditioning time, I don't expect him to get back up to speed for months....probably most of the season depending when he returns.
http://twitter.com/#!/DavidAmber

Quote:
DavidAmber David Amber
by chriskerber@
@chriskerber watching game and seeing Perron after hit score a goal seemingly uninjured made me think embellished to get major- i was wrong
3 Aug Favorite Retweet Reply

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
  #97
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Take your time #57. We want you in St. Louis for many, many years.
And I think it's safe to say that even when he does come back that at some point he's going to have recurring concussion issues a la Bergeron/Savard.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
  #98
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year
 
Skip2myBordyloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Can we stop with this type of thinking?

People want to claim that it was a risky pass..and I just shake my head. Call me dumb, flame me, I don't care.

It was a careless hit by Thornton, period. To somehow put any type of blame on 1) Pietrangelo for making an outlet pass and 2) Blaming Perron for having his head turned/down (the other silly argument).

I'm sorry but it's time to put stop blaming people for one man's careless (not intentional;to injure) actions.

ChicagoBlues..I generally agree with your posts but I frankly have no idea what the hell you're watching. Sorry man.
regardless of thornton's play on the hit, he got suspended right for the hit due punishment, but when you look up at the play as a dman, and you see that there is a guy who could crush your forward with the hit, you should go up the boards with the puck, skate it, look for another option.

it's a physical sport and you have to keep your head up, sure it was dirty, but if perron defended himself , which he couldnt, injury would have been avoided, and if the pass had not been made, the hit probably would not have happened either.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
  #99
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gali39 View Post
regardless of thornton's play on the hit, he got suspended right for the hit due punishment, but when you look up at the play as a dman, and you see that there is a guy who could crush your forward with the hit, you should go up the boards with the puck, skate it, look for another option.

it's a physical sport and you have to keep your head up, sure it was dirty, but if perron defended himself , which he couldnt, injury would have been avoided, and if the pass had not been made, the hit probably would not have happened either.
Pietrangelo makes that pass while Thornton is still halfway in the box. Pause it at the 4-5 second mark the above video.

There is zero blame to put on Pietrangelo. Nada.

Looks like about as normal a breakout pass as any..except that Thornton was just stepping out of the box.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
  #100
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year
 
Skip2myBordyloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Pietrangelo makes that pass while Thornton is still halfway in the box. Pause it at the 4-5 second mark the above video.

There is zero blame to put on Pietrangelo. Nada.

Looks like about as normal a breakout pass as any..except that Thornton was just stepping out of the box.
right and contact took place two steps away from the box, about the time the puck had just reached perron, that is the definition of a suicide pass. anything that causes perron to look away from the direction of the play or behind him for the puck is a suicide pass, his head was down, he was unsuspecting due to the pass, if the pass was not moving to him, his head would have been up, and he would not have been vulnerable, dont believe me? go make it a poll on the polls forums, i bet you 85% up will say it was a suicide pass.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.