HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[STL] Blues Re-sign T.J. Oshie; 1-Yr $2.35 MM

Old
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
SteenMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Part of what you pay for is durability. If you're only playing 2/3 of each season, you don't get paid for what you might have gotten had you played those games.
Yeah but you can't argue that a player is going to fall on top of him and bend his legs back every year as an excuse to bring down his pay or his value. I think that's where people are sick of hearing crap about what he's "only done." When all he's done is improve everyone around him, be a constant physical force, a take away machine, and lights out in the shootout / breakaways; for 50 games a year. If blocking shots and tying up a big guy after the whistle, while losing balance, are knocks on his play it sounds ridiculous.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The points will come for Oshie as the Blues youngsters are starting to produce around him. Oshie's game is also a lot more than points. He brings energy, excitement and a great 2 way game. His ceiling is 30/70 and should be close to that starting this year.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Part of what you pay for is durability. If you're only playing 2/3 of each season, you don't get paid for what you might have gotten had you played those games.
I don't disagree. That makes the argument about durability, not point production. 34 pts in 49 gms is roughly the same ppg as 56 in 82.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
5H4RK5

Superb deal. I wish we had an Oshie on our team. Trade.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's fine if a poster is bringing up his point totals to ding his durability, and not his talent level.

His talent level is at least a 20 goal, 55 point guy. I can say that, because that's what he's averaged per 82 games he's played ever since he hit the NHL 182 games ago at the age of 22. He's just starting to hit his prime years, so obviously there's plenty of room for improvement in those numbers even (as anyone who watches him play on a regular basis would tell you).

He certainly has plenty left to prove at the NHL level, but anyone who's questioning his ability to put points on the board simply hasn't seen him play enough.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Doyle

St. Louis Blues Sign TJ Oshie to One Year Contract
http://nhlhotstove.com/st-louis-blue...year-contract/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:04 PM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

2.35 is a steal...

I wanted him on Canucks.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

That's a freakin' bargain. I had Oshie pegged for a break out season.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Laich gets $4.5M, Oshie gets $2.35M.
apples and oranges. UFA vs RFA

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
That's a freakin' bargain. I had Oshie pegged for a break out season.
And if he has this breakout season he'll earn a hefty raise next season. St. Louis is into paying a player what he has earned, not what he has the potential to earn.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:17 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Amazing how Blues fans get accused of overvaluing Oshie in trade threads, but in this thread, I would say all the other fans are overvaluing him. He is getting what he deserves and what he has earned.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Red08

Absolute steel! Oshie does everything including selling tons of merchandise and putting people in the stands. That is the reason why he's making more than Perron and Berglund.

Also, I'm kind of disappointed in the Eastern Conference fans that think he's "overpaid" or a "flash in the pan". I honestly don't think you belong on this forum... Do yourself a favor and go look at highlights on youtube. The kid has tons of them!

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
He's one of those kids that won't ever amount to much.

Flashy start to his career, though.

Leaf fans would know all about players who won't amount to much, I guess...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Exactly it's a prove you deserve the money we know you can earn deal. If he plays 80-82 games this year his numbers should go up dramatically, his big cold streak was coming back from a broken leg almost 2 weeks early just because he's that tenacious.
Oshie has been pretty consistent with scoring about two points every three games in his career. If he plays 81 games, that translates to 54 points... which would be a career high, but not the "dramatic" increase we're hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
I think sleeping in on a practice after being given that kind of opportunity was a real slap in the face to the front office, but they've dealt with it before and it turned Berglund into a force by the time he went to the WC. No reason not to expect the same reaction from, Berglund's best friend, Oshie. I'm getting pumped to see those 2 drive each other all season long.
I agree.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
It's more like three-quarters of every season (182 games played in three seasons), but the point is taken.

That's part of the reason why he only got a one-year "show me" contract.

Old
06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
markisonfire

Good deal for the Blues this year, but what about next year? I would have tried to get a longer term and cap hit. If he has a good year, he'll be looking to earn quite a bit next year.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Good deal for the Blues this year, but what about next year? I would have tried to get a longer term and cap hit. If he has a good year, he'll be looking to earn quite a bit next year.
If he has a good year, the Blues will be willing to pay him Brooks Laich money...

Old
06-30-2011, 08:34 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If he has a good year, the Blues will be willing to pay him Brooks Laich money...
to me this one year deal says one of two things and I am not certain which way I think it leans towards.

1. St. Louis signed him to a very competitive deal so that they can deal him sometime this season if the right trade comes along.

2. Oshie knows he needs to have a more solid season and is expecting the ownership issue to be resolved by next June so he can get his payday.

The most important factor to me is this says to me Oshie wants to be on this team. If he wanted to get paid, he could wait until July 1 and with the teams that NEED to spend money to make the cap floor, he'd have gotten a better offersheet but St. Louis' current ownership issue might have meant they couldn't match.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Hooch314

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
He's one of those kids that won't ever amount to much.

Flashy start to his career, though.
I'm generally interested in what makes you say that.

When he's 100 percent he is a 60 pt player who is excellent on the pk and plays smart defense. He also checks as good as anyone his age in the league, outside of possibly Clutterbuck.

What makes that never amounting to much?

He's also 24.

Ask any fan of a Central division team that sees him 6 times a year (which I'm all but certain you do not) what they think about him.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Hooch314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
What I find funny is that a lot of people harp on the fact that he has never scored 50 points, but if he had played full seasons he would had hit 50 each of the past three years (56, 51, 56 respectively).
That's what I was alluding to. People that probably watch 2 Blues games a year at best, and even then they are looking at their players, not ours. I never get into Oshie/Callahan argument because I watch about .5 Rangers games a season.

I wait with bells on to find one fan of a Central division team that would tell you he is an average-at-best player.

Unless it's a hateful Bluejackets fan.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
1. St. Louis signed him to a very competitive deal so that they can deal him sometime this season if the right trade comes along.
That was the first thing I thought of when it happened. I came in here to see if anyone else thought it, or was there any rumblings?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:22 PM
sh724

If this is as big of a steal as every one thinks than Berglunds contract is the biggest steal since the salary cap era began

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:38 PM
CCBC

I think it just simply boils down to the Blues paying for what Oshie has done so far, not based on what he's expected to do. Smart.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:40 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
That was the first thing I thought of when it happened. I came in here to see if anyone else thought it, or was there any rumblings?
No specific rumblings...just speculation from fans, mostly.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 10:59 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
If this is as big of a steal as every one thinks than Berglunds contract is the biggest steal since the salary cap era began
I agree. Berglund was better than Oshie last season and not because of Oshie's injury. They could both break out, but Berglund is much more likely in my book. He was the best forward on the Blues for large chunks of the year and he could cement that as a year-long thing very soon.

And then he'll cash in.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote