HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Big Changes in Rochester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2011, 08:46 AM
  #1
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Big Changes in Rochester

Looks like Pegula isn't wasting any time with major changes to bring the fans back to Blue Cross Arena by reducing the full season ticket package down to $10 per game for all seats...

http://www.amerks.com/tickets/season/

Full Season Tickets in all seat locations in both the 100 and 200 levels at The Blue Cross Arena are available for just $10 per game, giving fans the opportunity to watch all 38 Amerks home games from the same seat for a total of $380.

Good article about how the Sabres will approach managing the on ice product and a shift in the traditional player development model...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ster-Americans

"the Sabres want to prove that "winning at the NHL level and winning at the AHL level are not mutually exclusive concepts."

"I know the people of Rochester want to hear this: We will have a very competitive hockey team in Rochester," Regier said."

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
  #2
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 11,870
vCash: 500
Hats off for this type of approach. I plan on making a trip out there next season.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
  #3
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Hats off for this type of approach. I plan on making a trip out there next season.
I went last season for the day after Thanksgiving. It was $17 a seat, but we sat in the third row. as Toronto manhandled the Amerks. I bought the tickets before going to the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, where the crowd was noisier than at the game.

Will they allow people to bring in cameras?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:39 PM
  #4
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I went last season for the day after Thanksgiving. It was $17 a seat, but we sat in the third row. as Toronto manhandled the Amerks. I bought the tickets before going to the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, where the crowd was noisier than at the game.

Will they allow people to bring in cameras?
The one in Syracuse(The original)is WAYYYYYYYYYYY better.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
  #5
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
I have beef with all seats being $10. this doesn't even happen at the AA level(though it would likely make some sense.)but if I were way back, perhaps in a crappy seat location(where seats are generally 99.5% of the time cheaper the farther back you go)I would be ****** to know someone has a WAY better seat than me yet paid the same price. It's kind of the same deal as it is to some who complain about others having a ticket and then moving to a better seat that they didn't pay a dime for.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
  #6
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I have beef with all seats being $10. this doesn't even happen at the AA level(though it would likely make some sense.)but if I were way back, perhaps in a crappy seat location(where seats are generally 99.5% of the time cheaper the farther back you go)I would be ****** to know someone has a WAY better seat than me yet paid the same price. It's kind of the same deal as it is to some who complain about others having a ticket and then moving to a better seat that they didn't pay a dime for.
...but why would you buy a STH in a crappy seat location? Only STH seats are $10 per game. The other packages (20 game, half season, individual games) have an increased ticket cost.

http://www.amerks.com/tickets/season/

I think its a great model to start out with.

TakeThatTootoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:50 AM
  #7
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I went last season for the day after Thanksgiving. It was $17 a seat, but we sat in the third row. as Toronto manhandled the Amerks. I bought the tickets before going to the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, where the crowd was noisier than at the game.

Will they allow people to bring in cameras?
My dinner at Dinosaur was one of the most disappointing meals I have ever had. Such hype for mediocre food. I still miss Empire Brewing Company. It was one of my favorite restaurants anywhere and was my restaurant of choice before Amerks games.

Unless they recently changed their camera policy, you shouldn't have any issues with cameras at the BC Arena. I have hundreds of pictures from that arena.

Green, you do realize that the interest in the Amerks is way down from where it used to be, right? I applaud the new ownership for making a drastic effort to bring the fans back.

However, for all the complaining you do about NHL teams owning their AHL teams, here is an example of how such an arrangement benefits the fans. No way would an independent ownership group offer $10 seats to bring the fans back. However, an NHL owner with deep pockets can.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
  #8
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
My dinner at Dinosaur was one of the most disappointing meals I have ever had. Such hype for mediocre food. I still miss Empire Brewing Company. It was one of my favorite restaurants anywhere and was my restaurant of choice before Amerks games.

Unless they recently changed their camera policy, you shouldn't have any issues with cameras at the BC Arena. I have hundreds of pictures from that arena.

Green, you do realize that the interest in the Amerks is way down from where it used to be, right? I applaud the new ownership for making a drastic effort to bring the fans back.

However, for all the complaining you do about NHL teams owning their AHL teams, here is an example of how such an arrangement benefits the fans. No way would an independent ownership group offer $10 seats to bring the fans back. However, an NHL owner with deep pockets can.
Eh, it happens. I've never had a bad meal in the ~10 or so times I've been there. I'm willing to bet if you give them another shot your experience won't be repeated. JMO.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
  #9
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Eh, it happens. I've never had a bad meal in the ~10 or so times I've been there. I'm willing to bet if you give them another shot your experience won't be repeated. JMO.
I think my problem with the place is that everyone just raved about it and I found it to be mediocre. Could be that my expectations were just too high based on it's reputation.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  #10
SeaToby
Registered User
 
SeaToby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Green, you do realize that the interest in the Amerks is way down from where it used to be, right? I applaud the new ownership for making a drastic effort to bring the fans back.

However, for all the complaining you do about NHL teams owning their AHL teams, here is an example of how such an arrangement benefits the fans. No way would an independent ownership group offer $10 seats to bring the fans back. However, an NHL owner with deep pockets can.
Unfortunately, lowering seat prices hasn't worked anywhere, and won't work in Rochester either. While they will sell a few more season tickets, they will rob from Peter to pay Paul, their walk up sales will be less...

Its not the price of the seats that is keeping fans away, its the product on the ice. Cheap fans will notice their seat prices have dropped a few dollars, but they will also notice their concessions prices have increased... Reducing seat prices less than the price of a beer isn't going to win the fans back...

All of the teams which reduce seat prices really do is undervalue their product...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  #11
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
...but why would you buy a STH in a crappy seat location? Only STH seats are $10 per game. The other packages (20 game, half season, individual games) have an increased ticket cost.

http://www.amerks.com/tickets/season/

I think its a great model to start out with.
That was a gaffe on my part, I skimmed through Pelts's post and thought every seat in house was gunna be $10. My fault.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
  #12
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
Unfortunately, lowering seat prices hasn't worked anywhere, and won't work in Rochester either. While they will sell a few more season tickets, they will rob from Peter to pay Paul, their walk up sales will be less...

Its not the price of the seats that is keeping fans away, its the product on the ice. Cheap fans will notice their seat prices have dropped a few dollars, but they will also notice their concessions prices have increased... Reducing seat prices less than the price of a beer isn't going to win the fans back...

All of the teams which reduce seat prices really do is undervalue their product...
While I hear what you are saying, I think that the goal here is very simple, get back those season ticket holders that left years ago. But, yes, the product on the ice is what brings in fans. However, many fans have left and need a reason to come back before the team steps on the ice.

Do you have evidence to prove that concessions are going to go up?

And, to be honest, I don't think that walk up sales will suffer at all. As you said, it's the product on the ice that is keeping the fans away. Assuming that the Amerks have success on the ice like the Pirates have had, the walkups will come back as well.

But, again, I applaud the new ownership for doing something drastic to win back the support of the Rochester hockey fans.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
  #13
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 11,870
vCash: 500
Who's charging 10 dollars for a beer?

The folks of Rochester are happy to have the Sabres. I doubt they are going to sit there and pout about concessions when there are plenty of teams raising the price on seats AND the concessions at the same time.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:11 AM
  #14
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
My dinner at Dinosaur was one of the most disappointing meals I have ever had. Such hype for mediocre food. I still miss Empire Brewing Company. It was one of my favorite restaurants anywhere and was my restaurant of choice before Amerks games.

Unless they recently changed their camera policy, you shouldn't have any issues with cameras at the BC Arena. I have hundreds of pictures from that arena.
Green, you do realize that the interest in the Amerks is way down from where it used to be, right? I applaud the new ownership for making a drastic effort to bring the fans back.

However, for all the complaining you do about NHL teams owning their AHL teams, here is an example of how such an arrangement benefits the fans. No way would an independent ownership group offer $10 seats to bring the fans back. However, an NHL owner with deep pockets can.
I noticed signs in the lobby saying that cameras were prohibited. I didn't notice anyone taking any pictures, even though there were 5500 people at the game.

I liked the food, my wife liked it, my daughter didn't like the Dino food at all. When I asked on the AHLfan website for a place to eat, all six responses were for Dinosaur.

BTW, several years ago (maybe 10) all Admirals tickets were $12 for one season. On the glass tickets may have been more. The team was and is locally owned.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:07 AM
  #15
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Who's charging 10 dollars for a beer?

The folks of Rochester are happy to have the Sabres. I doubt they are going to sit there and pout about concessions when there are plenty of teams raising the price on seats AND the concessions at the same time.
I pay $6.75 for a 24 ouncer for AA Hockey(oh well, we might as well be the 31st or 32nd AHL team anyway)but thats because our owner owns the arena and gets concession profits.

Yeah sure, they sound a bit like bandwagoners. "Buffalo or bust" was something I saw on more than one occassion. Sounds like many fans were only fans/attending games in the past because A)it was Buffalo or B)Steven Donner was giving away freebees.

Wonder how happy they are about no longer being "locally" owned?

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
  #16
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,928
vCash: 500
From my perspective and everyone else, I haven't seen any complaints on Pegula owning the team and not being local.

TakeThatTootoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
  #17
RampageNate
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I noticed signs in the lobby saying that cameras were prohibited. I didn't notice anyone taking any pictures, even though there were 5500 people at the game.
You sure the sign wasn't prohibiting "Professional Cameras" or cameras with detachable lenses? That's the policy down here in San Antonio. Might be the same there.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
  #18
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I pay $6.75 for a 24 ouncer for AA Hockey(oh well, we might as well be the 31st or 32nd AHL team anyway)but thats because our owner owns the arena and gets concession profits.

Yeah sure, they sound a bit like bandwagoners. "Buffalo or bust" was something I saw on more than one occassion. Sounds like many fans were only fans/attending games in the past because A)it was Buffalo or B)Steven Donner was giving away freebees.

Wonder how happy they are about no longer being "locally" owned?
Was this a serious question?

Fans in Rochester are going to be so ecstatic about being affiliated with the Sabres again instead of the Panthers the owners could be martians and it wouldn't matter.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:03 PM
  #19
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post
You sure the sign wasn't prohibiting "Professional Cameras" or cameras with detachable lenses? That's the policy down here in San Antonio. Might be the same there.
Same here in Hamilton. I've taken cameras to Rochester before without any issues but that was a couple of years ago.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:53 PM
  #20
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
From my perspective and everyone else, I haven't seen any complaints on Pegula owning the team and not being local.
Everyone in Upstate NY is drinking the koolaid of this guy. Free agency wasn't all that different then in the past, still no superstar(Richards)they got Ehrhoff I guess but we will see how good he is not in that stud Vancouver lineup. There is a reason why Detroit gave up on Leino, they don't tend to just give up on players. I think Detroit knows something the rest of us don't...

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
  #21
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan View Post
Was this a serious question?

Fans in Rochester are going to be so ecstatic about being affiliated with the Sabres again instead of the Panthers the owners could be martians and it wouldn't matter.
Maybe Tallon and Santos weren't kidding about the Panthers looking forward to next year and were chalking last year up as a lost cause. They had a great day in Free Agency on Friday. no superstars but they got a lot of decent players who will be playing together in the Top 3 forward lines for the most part and they have experience. The Panthers themselves have a decent future ahead.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
  #22
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
 
Bulldog fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 101York Bld Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Everyone in Upstate NY is drinking the koolaid of this guy. Free agency wasn't all that different then in the past, still no superstar(Richards)they got Ehrhoff I guess but we will see how good he is not in that stud Vancouver lineup. There is a reason why Detroit gave up on Leino, they don't tend to just give up on players. I think Detroit knows something the rest of us don't...
Or Ehrhoff might be at ease out there not seeing Luongo behind him???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Maybe Tallon and Santos weren't kidding about the Panthers looking forward to next year and were chalking last year up as a lost cause. They had a great day in Free Agency on Friday. no superstars but they got a lot of decent players who will be playing together in the Top 3 forward lines for the most part and they have experience. The Panthers themselves have a decent future ahead.
This answer has nothing to do with how Rochester people feel about local or not local ownership.

But I do agree with your statement, good to see Florida as active as they were, shows they want to win. Will they make the playoffs? Probably not, but wouldn't be surprised if they hang around until the final week or so.

Bulldog fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:10 PM
  #23
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post
You sure the sign wasn't prohibiting "Professional Cameras" or cameras with detachable lenses? That's the policy down here in San Antonio. Might be the same there.
The sign that I saw was posted on the way to the ticket windows. It was white with red letters. It said something like "The taking of photographs is prohibited". I forgot to bring a camera on the trip. I did think about buying a disposable one until I saw the sign when purchasing the tickets. I do want a photo like somebodies avatar (Amerkfan?) with the red banners hanging at the one arena end.

Maybe I will come back in the next two years. I have a camera phone now. It actually takes pretty good pictures.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:05 AM
  #24
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Who's charging 10 dollars for a beer?

The folks of Rochester are happy to have the Sabres. I doubt they are going to sit there and pout about concessions when there are plenty of teams raising the price on seats AND the concessions at the same time.
Considering most of the AHL teams do not control the concession prices since they do not control the concessions, not sure how their prices are relevant.

Secondly, the Admirals had $16 seats anywhere in the building. What that does is gives you an incentive to buy your tickets early so you get a better deal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Everyone in Upstate NY is drinking the koolaid of this guy. Free agency wasn't all that different then in the past, still no superstar(Richards)they got Ehrhoff I guess but we will see how good he is not in that stud Vancouver lineup. There is a reason why Detroit gave up on Leino, they don't tend to just give up on players. I think Detroit knows something the rest of us don't...
Free Agency and a deep farm system allow you to not overpay for someone....

The salary cap floor and thin free agent talent pool this year are causing teams to overspend.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:15 AM
  #25
eggy2486
Hitman #6
 
eggy2486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eastern CT
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Ehrhoff should be a decent AHL player

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.