HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Thread and Index 2011-2012 Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granin View Post
Here's Armia's assist on Salomäki's goal. Showed some great hands there

The commentary.

Old
08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Herman Hessian

vCash: 500
guys - what sources do you recommend for keeping up with prospects' progress and general information on the junior ranks ?. I'm in the UK and it's a full time job keeping tabs on the NHL itself entirely through on-line resources with no other media to back it up other than streaming live games, which don't give you much in the way of background information - the state of play outside of the top level of the pro game and the headline drafts is a bit of a mystery to me, and I'd like to expand my knowledge of it...

thanks in advance !

Old
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hessian View Post
guys - what sources do you recommend for keeping up with prospects' progress and general information on the junior ranks ?. I'm in the UK and it's a full time job keeping tabs on the NHL itself entirely through on-line resources with no other media to back it up other than streaming live games, which don't give you much in the way of background information - the state of play outside of the top level of the pro game and the headline drafts is a bit of a mystery to me, and I'd like to expand my knowledge of it...

thanks in advance !
the one, the only .....

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

our very own Kris Baker !!

Old
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

thanks in advance !
Our own Hobey Baker has the best one out there, AINEC.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

Old
08-12-2011, 07:29 PM
jfb392

Quote:

thanks in advance !
If you just want to follow junior hockey in general, this blog is good.
It's mostly CHL coverage, but it's the best developmental league there is and the most interesting to follow if you're just getting into junior hockey.

Old
08-15-2011, 07:22 AM
jfb392

As of today (8/15):
Nick Eno is now a free agent per the CBA.
Joel Armia is not eligible to sign an NHL contract per the NHL agreement with the Finnish Ice Hockey Association until the end of his season, so he'll officially be spending the season with Ässät of the SM-liiga.

Old
08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
As of today (8/15):
Joel Armia is not eligible to sign an NHL contract per the NHL agreement with the Finnish Ice Hockey Association until the end of his season, so he'll officially be spending the season with Ässät of the SM-liiga.
And started practise with the team this evening. Was on the other PP-line with his last years linemates Aki Uusikartano and Tuomas Santavuori.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
saska sault

Any ideas why Dan Catenacci has requested a trade out of Sault Ste. Marie, had a good year, fell a bit in the draft but was in line to be #1 center again, possibly captain and continue being face of the franchise. Rumors are going around but no one knows if it is Catenacci, his agents (Orr) or Buffalo.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
The commentary.
Exshellent feed by Joe L. R. Mia

Old
08-16-2011, 01:33 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Any ideas why Dan Catenacci has requested a trade out of Sault Ste. Marie, had a good year, fell a bit in the draft but was in line to be #1 center again, possibly captain and continue being face of the franchise. Rumors are going around but no one knows if it is Catenacci, his agents (Orr) or Buffalo.
Why would Buffalo have anything to do with a rumored "trade demand"

Old
08-16-2011, 05:37 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Why would Buffalo have anything to do with a rumored "trade demand"
His OHL team sucks and is in constant upheaval. Think back to the atmosphere in Rochester that final season that Buffalo and Florida split.

Old
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
ohlguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
I don't blame the kid or the Orr Group for wanting out. I can just immagine what it's going to be like up there with a 25 year old GM who is an ex agent bringing in his ex clients. It will probably be a gong show once again. I'm sure the Orr group has had enough of what this kid has had to deal with up there the last two seasons and won't take a chance this season.

As a first overall pick Cat accepted his new Soo home with open arms which is about a 7 hour drive from his home. There was a promise things would turn around in the Soo. They really haven’t met that promise for the team or for Cat.

I think Cat and his agent Bobby Orr have patiently waited, but ultimately the team has continued to flounder, through no fault of his own. He lead his tem in scoring as a 17 year old and you get 100% effort night in and night out from this kid. His frustrations set in and showed by his 117 minutes in penalties. He also witnessed a coach and GM both getting fired. It just seems like a lots of turmoil so one gets fed up.

There are also some rumors surfacing that the new GM (ex agent) doesn't see eye to eye with the Orr Group.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
I don't blame the kid or the Orr Group for wanting out. I can just immagine what it's going to be like up there with a 25 year old GM who is an ex agent bringing in his ex clients. It will probably be a gong show once again. I'm sure the Orr group has had enough of what this kid has had to deal with up there the last two seasons and won't take a chance this season.

As a first overall pick Cat accepted his new Soo home with open arms which is about a 7 hour drive from his home. There was a promise things would turn around in the Soo. They really haven’t met that promise for the team or for Cat.

I think Cat and his agent Bobby Orr have patiently waited, but ultimately the team has continued to flounder, through no fault of his own. He lead his tem in scoring as a 17 year old and you get 100% effort night in and night out from this kid. His frustrations set in and showed by his 117 minutes in penalties. He also witnessed a coach and GM both getting fired. It just seems like a lots of turmoil so one gets fed up.

There are also some rumors surfacing that the new GM (ex agent) doesn't see eye to eye with the Orr Group.

So if he gets traded to a team or was picked by a team in So Cal which is a 7 hour fly time from home he would not have gone?

In sports you go where you have been chosen, no questions asked. To blame the team, the city, the coach or Manager is just ridiculous. Just play and play hard and everything will work out.

This all about me attitude is very dangerous.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
To be sure, Catenacci has become a good OHL player, as evidenced by the 71 points he managed in 68 games with the Greyhounds during the 2010- 11 season.

But is Catenacci an impact player?

No. At least not yet.

In fact, Catenacci's statistics are almost-identical to those of fellow 1993 birth year centre Nick Cousins, who the Greyhounds chose with their second- round pick of the 09 OHL Draft.

Through two OHL regular seasons with the Greyhounds, Catenacci and Cousins have played the same number of games: 135. During that span, Catenacci has 101 points and Cousins has 100.
Quote:
I suspect that attitude might have something to do with Catenacci's departure from the Greyhounds. That, and the fact that he may think that he's a better hockey player than others do.

Take this year's National Hockey League Draft for instance.

Before it, Catenacci told Sault Star sportswriter Peter Ruicci that he "expected" to go in the first round of the NHL Draft.

The only thing was, not a single NHL team shared those expectations.

In fact, not a single NHL team thought of Catenacci as a second-round pick, let alone a first-rounder.

When all was said and done at the 2011 NHL Draft, Catenacci lasted until the third round, 77th overall, nine picks after Cousins was taken by the Philadelphia Flyers.
http://www.saultthisweek.com/Article...aspx?e=3261500

Old
08-17-2011, 05:26 PM
ohlguy

I wouldn't read into what the above reporter from this weekly Soo paper wrote. He's had it in for Cat in a big way. Here are a few quotes from his teammates that I think would be more credible and shows what this player is all about. Cat was most likely to be named captain this coming season so rule out attitude issues.

"I was surprised when I heard about it," said Carson Dubchak from his home in Kenora, Ont. "Yeah, I guess I could say I'm shocked. I can't say anything negative toward Daniel at all. It's obviously something that he wants for himself."

He said Catenacci is a character guy that "everyone likes." He was a fun guy in the dressing room and full of good humour, and talented.

"He's definitely one of the biggest parts of the team," said Dubchak, who has been with the Hounds for three seasons.

"Even though he's a great guy said David Broll, you can't do anything about it if he's going to leave. There's going to be some gaps to fill now that he's gone, and I think more guys will step up to the plate. It'll give other guys opportunities."

Michael Kantor was upbeat about the Hounds prospects this season, despite losing Catenacci. He said Catenacci is probably doing what he thinks is best to get to the next level.

"I'm behind him with his decisions. We all believe in this group right now. The team that we have now, with or without Daniel, will be a good team," said Kantor, a Chicago native who is in the Sault training.

"I was kind of surprised ... We'll miss him in the locker room."

Trevor Morbeck, from Jackson, Wis., says losing Catenacci will impact the team.
He said Catenacci is a good player and it's a tough loss, however, that's hockey.
"Guys get traded, they ask for trades. It's all part of the game and that's how it goes."

Old
08-18-2011, 08:04 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3263204

Quote:
The player's father, Maurice, agreed to a brief interview Wednesday.

While he wouldn't get into the reasons behind the decision, Maurice admitted it was a difficult situation.

"It has nothing to do with ice time," he said when asked.

Peppered with more questions, Maurice added: "It's a great organization, we love the people of Sault Ste. Marie and Daniel loves his teammates. We're grateful for the two years we've had up there, but sometimes these things happen in sports."

Again asked about specific reasons for seeking a trade, Maurice politely said he'd "prefer not to comment further at this time" and, he added, "Daniel prefers not to comment."

Dubas won't say anything either. For now.

Ferris, reached Wednesday, also refused comment. He wouldn't even confirm it was the Catenacci camp that asked for a trade.

That's despite the fact Ferris said on Aug. 13 the concerns he and the Catenaccis had "were of a serious nature. They couldn't be resolved and I guess that's why we're where we are today."

According to sources close to the star player, Daniel Catenacci's been telling his Greyhounds teammates the trade request "wasn't his decision."

Whether he means someone (his agent or father) helped convince him seeking a deal was the right way to go, or whether he's trying to suggest it was the Hounds who made the decision to trade him, is unknown.

To that, Dubas repeated what he said when this story first broke a week ago.

"The trade request came from Darren Ferris on July 19," said Dubas. "And I have no further comment on this matter."

What a mess.

Old
08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
jfb392

So, it's looking more and more like the Sabres requested this trade.

What a stupid idea.

Old
08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
jfb392

Gregg Sutch has been traded by the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors to the Barrie Colts for two draft picks.

Quote:
According to Y! sources the Mississauga Majors have traded Gregg Sutch (@Sutchy24) to the Barrie Colts for a pair of picks. #GoodLuckKiddo!
http://twitter.com/sunayas/status/104373086236848128

Old
08-19-2011, 04:10 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
So, it's looking more and more like the Sabres requested this trade.

What a stupid idea.
Why do you say that jfb?

Old
08-19-2011, 05:03 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
Why do you say that jfb?
The trade request is looking more and more like it came from the Sabres because things are not adding up and a well connected poster here has reaffirmed this.

It's a stupid idea because they are causing unneeded drama and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.
They are not affiliated with the Greyhounds franchise and they simply own the rights to Catenacci; they haven't even signed him to an NHL contract, so they shouldn't be telling him where to play or acting like they are the GM of the Greyhounds.

It's not about ice time or his role on the team, so I fail to see what is so terrible that their involvement is required.

Old
08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Gregg Sutch has been traded by the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors to the Barrie Colts for two draft picks.

Sounds like a good thing, hope he'll get more and especially more consistent ice-time in Barrie.

Quote:
The trade request is looking more and more like it came from the Sabres because things are not adding up and a well connected poster here has reaffirmed this.
Who is this well connected poster/where is his post stating that? I don't recall reading something like this at this board.

Old
08-19-2011, 08:57 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

They requested the Sutch trade? Or the Cat one?

Old
08-19-2011, 09:01 AM
French Connection

Quote:

It's a stupid idea because they are causing unneeded drama and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.
They are not affiliated with the Greyhounds franchise and they simply own the rights to Catenacci; they haven't even signed him to an NHL contract, so they shouldn't be telling him where to play or acting like they are the GM of the Greyhounds.

It's not about ice time or his role on the team, so I fail to see what is so terrible that their involvement is required.
I must politely burst your bubble. The Sabres or any other NHL team for that matter Will not meddle in any OHL and players contract. Once a player has been chosen in the draft it is up to them to mold their own futures in Jr hockey.

It is strange a players dad finds the need to come forward with a semi explanation, unless he is feeling guilty about something.

Players and Agents always request trades in the CHL feeling it is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you notice it seems to be players from particular agencies whom have a history of this sort of thing.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
ct2111

Quote:

I like it. He probably wouldn't have gotten much ice time in Mississauga.

Old
08-19-2011, 09:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
I must politely burst your bubble. The Sabres or any other NHL team for that matter Will not meddle in any OHL and players contract. Once a player has been chosen in the draft it is up to them to mold their own futures in Jr hockey.
You see NHL teams steer kids away from the NC$$ and to the CHL all the time.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if NHL teams tried to get kids (or their parents/reps) to request a trade away from a Jr team that they felt was hampering the player's development.

For instance, it wouldn't shock me if Catenacci ended up with Windsor given that their head coach is a former Sabre and that team traded for another Sabres draftee a few years ago.

Closed Thread