HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards returning to Tampa? - Update: Richards declines TB offer

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
JedYzerman

vCash: 500
Brad Richards returning to Tampa? - Update: Richards declines TB offer

With Richards being a free agent this year and already stating that he wouldn't mind coming back to Tampa. What's the chance that Steve Y. will go out gunning to bring back the 04 chemistry that Richards and Vinny had. I would have to give it about 50% chance that Richards is returning to Tampa.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Its possible, and he has said he wants to... but don't count on it.

Old
05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I'm not sure how the financial situation is going on in TB, but with Stamkos to be resigned and Vinny on that long contract of his...wouldn't Yzerman have some considerable amount of trouble trying to sign Richards to a retirement contract? I still say he's going to the Rangers.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafs View Post
I'm not sure how the financial situation is going on in TB, but with Stamkos to be resigned and Vinny on that long contract of his...wouldn't Yzerman have some considerable amount of trouble trying to sign Richards to a retirement contract? I still say he's going to the Rangers.
Not too much, assuming the cap is going up a touch. You can choose to shed 1 million (at least of Smiths salary, if he wants to stay) and 5+ off Gagne if you left him walk and free up almost enough to bring him right there. Consider another 3.5 added to Stamkos cap hit (3.725 now + 3.5 for 7.2ish). We had 9 in space this year plus about 3 projected to go up. You can almost wiggle Richards in with current salary coming off the books, but its honestly all up to how badly Brad wants to be back here. We are in no position for a bidding war.

EDIT: To take it a step further too, they usually like to run 7 D, we could see Jones and Smaby gone freeing up another 1.5, and assume he gets the same, maybe a slight pay bump, maybe less. Hard to judge that situation. If he takes, say, 4 million a year you're looking at 1.75 freed up now, you give Blair Jones his QO which is hardly a drop in the bucket. There really are a bunch of ways to make it happen. I'm kind of surprised, actually.

I also would like to see Durno and Desjardins here just so I can call them Digiorno.

Last edited by The Fear Boners: 05-31-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old
05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Not too much, assuming the cap is going up a touch. You can choose to shed 1 million (at least of Smiths salary, if he wants to stay) and 5+ off Gagne if you left him walk and free up almost enough to bring him right there. Consider another 3.5 added to Stamkos cap hit (3.725 now + 3.5 for 7.2ish). We had 9 in space this year plus about 3 projected to go up. You can almost wiggle Richards in with current salary coming off the books, but its honestly all up to how badly Brad wants to be back here. We are in no position for a bidding war.

EDIT: To take it a step further too, they usually like to run 7 D, we could see Jones and Smaby gone freeing up another 1.5, and assume he gets the same, maybe a slight pay bump, maybe less. Hard to judge that situation. If he takes, say, 4 million a year you're looking at 1.75 freed up now, you give Blair Jones his QO which is hardly a drop in the bucket. There really are a bunch of ways to make it happen. I'm kind of surprised, actually.

I also would like to see Durno and Desjardins here just so I can call them Digiorno.
Purcell and Bergenheim are due for raises and a starting goalie needs to be signed. Not to mention the defense could use a mobilie defenseman who's a real offensive threat. Plus, I see Richards going no lower than 5 mil/year.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

If Richards wants to sign with us, he's going to have to sign a deal that works for us. We're not going to go through a bidding war with anyone, especially for a forward we don't really even NEED. Besides, we already gave Brad a fat contract and then traded him. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...So Brad might think twice about wanting a big deal with us again.

Old
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
If Richards wants to sign with us, he's going to have to sign a deal that works for us. We're not going to go through a bidding war with anyone, especially for a forward we don't really even NEED. Besides, we already gave Brad a fat contract and then traded him. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...So Brad might think twice about wanting a big deal with us again.
He has already gone on record as saying that the massive deal he signed with us was one of his biggest mistakes/regrets.

I think if he is willing to sign for around a cap hit of 5M per, we could and should make it happen. Let Gagne walk, Smith either walks or signs a 1M or less backup contract, Hall walks and Jones takes his place for a bit less money. We arent getting a big name UFA goalie unless they take way below their market value so Roloson is fine with me for one more year at about his current rate.

A forward group of Richards,Stamkos, Lecavalier, St Louis, Purcell, Malone, Downie, Bergenheim, Moore, Thompson, Jones, Tyrell is pretty freaking nasty. Plus Richards is instant PPQB.

And we would still have enough room to sign a top 4 caliber UFA dman and have a good chunk of wiggle room left on the cap for a trade deadline move or two IMO.

Its very possible if SFY wants to go that route, and if certain pieces fall into place properly.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I see him returning.

Gagne will have to leave tho

Old
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I see him returning.

Gagne will have to leave tho
Also meaning no upgrades to our defense

Old
06-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Tokala

I don't see a need for him with the salary he would command. I was a Richards' fan all along and would have traded Lecavalier instead. Having said that, I am not in favor of bringing him back.

As a Lightning GM told me; "You can't always go back home" (He was commenting on his habit of signing guys again from the 2004 team.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I don't see a need for him with the salary he would command. I was a Richards' fan all along and would have traded Lecavalier instead. Having said that, I am not in favor of bringing him back.

As a Lightning GM told me; "You can't always go back home" (He was commenting on his habit of signing guys again from the 2004 team.
You can if you're Brad Richards.

Now if we're talking about Fedotenko for too much money and bringing back Chris Gratton, then yes, i'm in agreement.

Like I said, he'd be a welcome addition but it all boils down to him *actually* wanting to be here, *actually* treating contract talks that way, and *actually* taking a reasonable amount to add another defenseman.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I was always a fan of his also. We don't need him back, I'd like to have him back. If him coming back means giving up a piece that we need, it is not worth it. I miss Boyle also, it would be nice to get him back

Old
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR View Post
I was always a fan of his also. We don't need him back, I'd like to have him back. If him coming back means giving up a piece that we need, it is not worth it. I miss Boyle also, it would be nice to get him back
Boyle's definitely more of a need than Richards. Our priorities should be: 1) Goaltender 2) Defenseman and 3) Toughness in top 6 that can score

Old
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I Am Beat You

I don't think toughness in the top 6 is a necessity. Malone and Downie are enough in my opinion, although I am a fan of toughness. It's everywhere else in the lineup we're lacking in that aspect.

Old
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I don't think toughness in the top 6 is a necessity. Malone and Downie are enough in my opinion, although I am a fan of toughness. It's everywhere else in the lineup we're lacking in that aspect.
I have Downie slotted on the 3rd line with Moore and Bergenheim. I think Laich is an ideal fit, largely because he's got toughness, can score, and is a great penalty killer. He also contributes on the power play and is good on faceoffs.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
JFleegs

I agree the money spent on Richards should go elsewhere...I want to see Y shore up the D. Erhoff would be KEY, then brewer or bieska would be nice. We need a puck moving d-man more then anything. Roli will be back next yr for 2.5mil. I wonder how much this Fasth kid is looking to make next yr? wouldn't mind seeing him as the 1b with roli 1a. I want gagne back if he'll take half his pay this yr (2.5-3 range), but he isn't a necessity with the emergence of Purcell. Like someone mentioned before it took a little while for him to get ingrained into Tampa so picking up and doing that again is tough. Im sure the family likes the weather and its not a bad place to finish off a career.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Our Richards window just opened:

Quote:
DAL would be interested in trading exclusive neg rights before July 1, but move would require Richards to waive his NMC. No guarantees.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367672

Dallas not offering Richards a contract.

Quote:
DAL would be interested in trading exclusive neg rights before July 1, but move would require Richards to waive his NMC. No guarantees.
Here's how I'd play that.

Me: Will Richards drop his NMC so we can get his negotiating rights?

Dallas: One sec....yes. So it seems we have everything squared away, we just need to fax--

Me: lol *click*

Old
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

The trade board thread is full of wishful Leafs fans. Kind of funny reading all the desperation actually.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Woooooooooooooooooooo

Old
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 800
Awards:
I would love to see Richards back in Tampa...but only at a cap friendly price.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:06 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
The trade board thread is full of wishful Leafs fans. Kind of funny reading all the desperation actually.
Almost as good as the "Stamkos to Toronto"-threads.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=920549

Ah how I miss this, Leaf fans seem to think players will just sign with whoever throws the most money at them. They don't take into consideration players like Mike Richards, Toews, Getzlaf etc etc that take less money to play for a team/organization and city they love.

They also seem to think Stamkos will sign for about 8.5 million...

Old
06-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
I have Downie slotted on the 3rd line with Moore and Bergenheim. I think Laich is an ideal fit, largely because he's got toughness, can score, and is a great penalty killer. He also contributes on the power play and is good on faceoffs.
Laich may be "tough" because he is a big body who will go to the dirty areas, but I wouldn't consider that adding toughness to our team. I also think Downie will end up on a line with Stamkos again.

And if Richards really wanted to come here, I think he'd be willing to let himself hit the open market before we go trading assets for his rights.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
IdealisticSniper

I would so freaking hard if Richards trolled the entire league and signed with us for like 3-4M cap hit for like 4-5 years.

Closed Thread