HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  #226
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
no such a thing on the internets, you must be stoned
Google ---> News ---> type on keyboard "Bruins 4th line" ---> press enter

I can give you call if you need help. Seriously!

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  #227
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Konopka, Eager, Rupp, Vandermeer etc and so on.

But like most Gauthier apologists, you want to have it both ways.

You lay blame on the player for not wanting to come here. OK. I will buy your premise. If that is the case, why doesnt that player (or even the scoring forwards) want to come here? Is it because of the coaching staff? Surely it cant be the city of Montreal because almost every player ranks this city as one of the best to play hockey?

But in reality, none of those players are here because Gauthier did not go after them.

Carry on with the Gauthier apologizing.
MaG said we were in on vandermeer fyi. There were more than 10 teams in on rupp, we might have been one of them.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  #228
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
And for those of you who are still saying Bruins 4th line wasn't a factor in their championship winning, go type "Bruins 4th line" in google news, there's are a bunch a specialist saying all the contrary. You don't have to read the Boston Globe or any biased media, try all the other and try to find one that says their 4th line wasn't a factor...
The entire Habs board was saying this before the experts. They couldn't have done it without Campbell centering their fourth line....

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
  #229
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
Yes but what's the risk at 700K for one year? If he would have sucked, bench him, bury him in the AHL, give him away for a 7th, buy him out, etc
I never implied there was any risk to the signing, just that Konopka may not be as valuable as some of the people who are lamenting missing out on him think. This exact same argument could be used for signing any of the lower tier free agents available. Signing Daryl Boyce or Chris Durno would be of next to no risk, but does that mean that PG should sign either? Probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
And our beloved Tom Pyatt is not sign too ! Why ? #1 PKer of the #1 PK in the NHL This guy is a beast, perfect defensive forward, fast Why he is not sign ?
I think that Tommy Pyatt is another mediocre, dime-a-dozen player who will sign for very little. He's a different type of player from Konopka, but he's of around the same minimal value to a team. In other words, neither guy is anything special and "missing out" on either isn't really a big deal.

LyleOdelein is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
  #230
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
And for those of you who are still saying Bruins 4th line wasn't a factor in their championship winning, go type "Bruins 4th line" in google news, there's are a bunch a specialist saying all the contrary. You don't have to read the Boston Globe or any biased media, try all the other and try to find one that says their 4th line wasn't a factor...
You can do better than appeal to authority.

Besides, how many of those experts were lauding the Habs two playoffs ago for "strong defense", "limiting Washington & Pittsburgh's scoring chances" or "keeping the shots to the outside" when that wasn't the case and the Habs were merely riding their luck/the hot streak of Halak?

Boston's 4th line heroics makes a nice narrative but I don't think it's quality analysis. Sportswriters/broadcasters/etc. by and large provide narratives, not analysis

Roke is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:28 PM
  #231
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
How did the big bad Bruins prevent cheap shots to players such as Horton, Bergeron and Savard? Answer: they didn't. Having a fighter will just satisfy fans that want to see their favourite players "avenged" but it won't stop the next Cooke/Ruutu/Kaleta/Pronger cheapshot.
The strawman argument pops up again.

Horton's hit wasnt a cheap shot. It was a hard hit that caused Horton's head to hit the ice very hard.

But lets take a different look at the Bruins team. Did you see anyone on the Canucks rabbit punching any star Bruin forward in the head? Did you see any Canuck take a swing at Tim Thomas with his stick? Or was there "deterrence"?

Injuries happen in any given game. But bullying happens in every game.......as long as you have a very soft team that is not willing to stand up and fight.

But the pacifists are winning. Get ready for some really ugly games against all the teams in the East who saw what the Bruins did and got tougher. Everyone in the East except Montreal.

The Boivin legacy lives on!!!!!!!!!! Is that why they pass out white towels at the Bell Centre? Surrender??

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:29 PM
  #232
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Konopka, Eager, Rupp, Vandermeer etc and so on.

But like most Gauthier apologists, you want to have it both ways.

You lay blame on the player for not wanting to come here. OK. I will buy your premise. If that is the case, why doesnt that player (or even the scoring forwards) want to come here? Is it because of the coaching staff? Surely it cant be the city of Montreal because almost every player ranks this city as one of the best to play hockey?

But in reality, none of those players are here because Gauthier did not go after them.

Carry on with the Gauthier apologizing.
So Cammy / Gionta / Gomez / Cole just signed there like that?

Are you blind, the 4 guys you named at first can't play hockey to save their life, they take mindless, selfish penalties EVERY games, and with the system we currently try to implement, we DO NOT need people who take stupid mindless penalties (look Pouliot).



The Konopka situation is way overblown, but I'm sure 98% of the habs board havent seen him play other than when the Habs played the Isles.

Toughness isnt what the habs are about, we are about Skating and Puck Possession, Creating plays of the rush and NOT taking stupid penalties when your 4th line is on the ice. I rather have 4 good rolling line rather than 3 lines and a 4th with players that can't even play hockey.

Kenny Powders is online now  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
  #233
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
MaG said we were in on vandermeer fyi. There were more than 10 teams in on rupp, we might have been one of them.

Yet you look at us sitting on $6 million in cap space and then look at what Vandermeer and Rupp signed for.

Nah, Gauthier could have gotten both had he wanted to. But not his style of player. He wants the soft players in Montreal.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
  #234
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
So Cammy / Gionta / Gomez / Cole just signed there like that?

Are you blind, the 4 guys you named at first can't play hockey to save their life, they take mindless, selfish penalties EVERY games, and with the system we currently try to implement, we DO NOT need people who take stupid mindless penalties (look Pouliot).



The Konopka situation is way overblown, but I'm sure 98% of the habs board havent seen him play other than when the Habs played the Isles.

Toughness isnt what the habs are about, we are about Skating and Puck Possession, Creating plays of the rush and NOT taking stupid penalties when your 4th line is on the ice. I rather have 4 good rolling line rather than 3 lines and a 4th with players that can't even play hockey.
Curious question. How old are you?

To your point. We lack team toughness yet we led the league in Minor penalties called against us. So your strawman argument is nothing more than bull **** since we are taking penalties anyway.

The Stanley Cup champions rolled 3 lines. Wow, imagine that. They relied on 3 lines who could score.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
  #235
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
It's like trying to argue with someone who has a foot fetish that there are much sexier parts of a women's body.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
  #236
KirkMuller93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
I really do not see how people can defend Gauthier when it comes to the toughness issue.

2 years ago we lost in the conference finals because Philly was the bigger , stronger and more aggresive team... So what does Gauthier do in the off season, he trades for Dustin Boyd who he buried in the minors and signed Jeff Halpern, thats it nothing else!!!! He never addressed the size or toughness issue.

A couple of bigger bodies would have done wonders in the Bruins series, Habs were injured and worn down once again. Gauthier refuses to add that bottom 6 toughness that this teams needs and I have no idea why.

KirkMuller93 is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
  #237
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Yet you look at us sitting on $6 million in cap space and then look at what Vandermeer and Rupp signed for.

Nah, Gauthier could have gotten both had he wanted to. But not his style of player. He wants the soft players in Montreal.
Erik Cole anyone?

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
  #238
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Erik Cole anyone?
Don't bother. Cole's 225 hits mean nothing to him because he doesn't have 10 fighting majors.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
  #239
PuckingRidiculous
Rookie User
 
PuckingRidiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
I'm not upset with not getting Konopka. Sure he's great on the faceoffs, but the stupid penalties kind of cancel that out. I would like to see us take a gamble on Drury for 1yr/$2 mil. Just having a good faceoff man (now that Halpern is gone) would make me feel better.

PuckingRidiculous is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
  #240
Maverik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Konopka, Eager, Rupp, Vandermeer etc and so on.

But like most Gauthier apologists, you want to have it both ways.

You lay blame on the player for not wanting to come here. OK. I will buy your premise. If that is the case, why doesnt that player (or even the scoring forwards) want to come here? Is it because of the coaching staff? Surely it cant be the city of Montreal because almost every player ranks this city as one of the best to play hockey?

But in reality, none of those players are here because Gauthier did not go after them.

Carry on with the Gauthier apologizing.
I am not laying blame on anyone because they did not want to come here, I have no clue about that, just like you have no clue if Gauthier made an offer or not. We can argue that he could of been useful to the Habs, but we can't argue if Gauthier made the right decision, because we have no clue about what happened.

But that's the life on a forum I guess...

Maverik is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
  #241
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
I really do not see how people can defend Gauthier when it comes to the toughness issue.

2 years ago we lost in the conference finals because Philly was the bigger , stronger and more aggresive team... So what does Gauthier do in the off season, he trades for Dustin Boyd who he buried in the minors and signed Jeff Halpern, thats it nothing else!!!! He never addressed the size or toughness issue.

A couple of bigger bodies would have done wonders in the Bruins series, Habs were injured and worn down once again. Gauthier refuses to add that bottom 6 toughness that this teams needs and I have no idea why.
Taht had nothing to do with size, Brion played out of his mind and Price played terrible...Biron 2.79 .921% Price 4.13 .836%

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
  #242
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,727
vCash: 500
Ladd re signed for 5 years in Winnipeg 22 mil

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
  #243
MicroFracture
Registered User
 
MicroFracture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
I really do not see how people can defend Gauthier when it comes to the toughness issue.

2 years ago we lost in the conference finals because Philly was the bigger , stronger and more aggresive team... So what does Gauthier do in the off season, he trades for Dustin Boyd who he buried in the minors and signed Jeff Halpern, thats it nothing else!!!! He never addressed the size or toughness issue.

A couple of bigger bodies would have done wonders in the Bruins series, Habs were injured and worn down once again. Gauthier refuses to add that bottom 6 toughness that this teams needs and I have no idea why.
Didn't the Habs get shut out 3 games out of 5 in this series?
nevermind I thought you were talking about last year
well 2 years ago we lost the Philly series because Price was a rookie and crumbled, though Halak didn't do any better in the game he played. Nothing to do with toughness

MicroFracture is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:25 PM
  #244
PuckingRidiculous
Rookie User
 
PuckingRidiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
I really do not see how people can defend Gauthier when it comes to the toughness issue.

2 years ago we lost in the conference finals because Philly was the bigger , stronger and more aggresive team... So what does Gauthier do in the off season, he trades for Dustin Boyd who he buried in the minors and signed Jeff Halpern, thats it nothing else!!!! He never addressed the size or toughness issue.

A couple of bigger bodies would have done wonders in the Bruins series, Habs were injured and worn down once again. Gauthier refuses to add that bottom 6 toughness that this teams needs and I have no idea why.
I'm probably naive in thinking this, but I'm hoping next year is a game changer in the NHL. So instead of tough guys having to stick up to other players when there are dirty hits, the dirty hitter actually get suspended without pay for a long duration of time. I'm hoping Shanahan will rule with a mighty fist, unlike Campbell/Murphy who had to check with Bruins management before any suspensions were handed out. Pipe dream I know.

PuckingRidiculous is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
  #245
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Picard signed with Pittsburgh according to Renaud Lavoie's twitter.

At least that's one guy we won't be seeing back

Dwight is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
  #246
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Toughness isnt what the habs are about, we are about Skating and Puck Possession, Creating plays of the rush and NOT taking stupid penalties when your 4th line is on the ice
So tough teams can't have skating, puck pussession and create plays ??? You need everything in a team !

Aurel Joliat is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
  #247
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
But the pacifists are winning. Get ready for some really ugly games against all the teams in the East who saw what the Bruins did and got tougher. Everyone in the East except Montreal.

The Boivin legacy lives on!!!!!!!!!! Is that why they pass out white towels at the Bell Centre? Surrender??
This is laughable. I would love to see your list of teams that got tougher in the East this season.

LyleOdelein is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:49 PM
  #248
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
This is laughable. I would love to see your list of teams that got tougher in the East this season.
Tim Connolly might give you a nasty gash when he eventually shatters.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
  #249
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Tim Connolly might give you a nasty gash when he eventually shatters.
They already have Orr, Rosehill and Mike Brown. Why add an other fighter ???

Aurel Joliat is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
  #250
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
They already have Orr, Rosehill and Mike Brown. Why add an other fighter ???
To make themselves feel even safer.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.