HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXIV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
  #176
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
They really don't, and it's ridiculous people still cling to this "enforcer" myth like it was 1980.
You should send an e-mail to NHL GM's I don't think they got the message because there are about 40-50 players in the NHL who's biggest skill is fighting.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
  #177
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
He signed on a non playoff maybe a team who will win the lottery .

He would have played half of the season in the pressbox here

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:11 PM
  #178
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You should send an e-mail to NHL GM's I don't think they got the message because there are about 40-50 players in the NHL who's biggest skill is fighting.
40-50 players in the NHL whose biggest skill is fighting, eh? You really believe that?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
  #179
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,816
vCash: 500
This city`s fans have grown such an inferiority complex its incredible. Size, size, size! grit grit grit!!

would have been a nice pick up because he wins face-offs, drops them and adds some leadership, but he isnt a good hockey player.
Lets see what they do from here on out.

Cant wait for the " Can we get Artyukhin" proposals again.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
  #180
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You should send an e-mail to NHL GM's I don't think they got the message because there are about 40-50 players in the NHL who's biggest skill is fighting.
fighting now in hockey is nothing but entertainment for the crowd it change absolutly nothing to the game.

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:15 PM
  #181
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
fighting now in hockey is nothing but entertainment for the crowd it change absolutly nothing to the game.
NHL teams don't seem to agree.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
  #182
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NHL teams don't seem to agree.
entertainment sells and its why people still employ fighters, no other reasons

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:16 PM
  #183
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NHL teams don't seem to agree.
NHL teams want to sell tickets first. So yes I think they agree.

Habs don't need player who fight to sell tickets

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:17 PM
  #184
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
This city`s fans have grown such an inferiority complex its incredible. Size, size, size! grit grit grit!!

would have been a nice pick up because he wins face-offs, drops them and adds some leadership, but he isnt a good hockey player.
Lets see what they do from here on out.

Cant wait for the " Can we get Artyukhin" proposals again.
Just what I was thinking...this guy has become the new Artyukhin. A player so valuable and so coveted that he hasn't had an NHL job in a year, probably more now. And now the almighty Konopka had to settle for a 1 year contract on a bottom feeder, for not much more than the league minimum. Those crazy GMs, how can they not see the value in these guys?!

Konopka was on my Habs offseason wishlist but really, who cares at the end of the day. This is going to be a very insignificant non-signing when all is said and done.

On the plus side, Konopka will probably hit free agency again after his stint in Ottawa, so we can start up all this craziness again real soon.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
  #185
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
40-50 players in the NHL whose biggest skill is fighting, eh? You really believe that?
Go look it up, I'll give you a few names...Godard Rupp Orr Parros MacIntyre Hordichuk Thornton Westgard Gillies Carkner Konopka Shelley McLaren Janssen...

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
  #186
RBR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
NHL teams don't seem to agree.
How did the big bad Bruins prevent cheap shots to players such as Horton, Bergeron and Savard? Answer: they didn't. Having a fighter will just satisfy fans that want to see their favourite players "avenged" but it won't stop the next Cooke/Ruutu/Kaleta/Pronger cheapshot.

RBR is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
  #187
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
NHL teams want to sell tickets first. So yes I think they agree.

Habs don't need player who fight to sell tickets
So Montreal needed Laraque to sell tickets? Toronto needs Orr and Rosehill? NYR needs Rupp? and Phillie needs Shelley? Pittsburgh needed Godard, Rupp and Engelland?

You're post is equal parts ridiciculous and comical.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
  #188
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Carey Price, dont have a panic attack,we still have a good team. We werent a konopka away from the cup lol

saints96 is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:21 PM
  #189
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
reason i like konopka, is not only the fighting, but he can kill penalties and was good on faceoffs...

i dont like pure fighters they're useless, but if they have other facets to their game that can help a team then i'm all for it

Kingbobert is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:22 PM
  #190
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post
How did the big bad Bruins prevent cheap shots to players such as Horton, Bergeron and Savard? Answer: they didn't. Having a fighter will just satisfy fans that want to see their favourite players "avenged" but it won't stop the next Cooke/Ruutu/Kaleta/Pronger cheapshot.
It didn't stop the cheap shots completely, but it helped them win the cup. In the end Vancouver was tired of being pounded on and stopped paying the price. Thonron was mouthing off to their bench and they had nobody to answer the bell.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:23 PM
  #191
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
reason i like konopka, is not only the fighting, but he can kill penalties and was good on faceoffs...

i dont like pure fighters they're useless, but if they have other facets to their game that can help a team then i'm all for it
its hard to kill penalties and to take faceoffs when you are in the box for your stupid selfish penalties

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:26 PM
  #192
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So Montreal needs Laraque to sell tickets? Toronto needs Orr? NYR needs Rupp? and Phillie needs Shelley?

You're post is equal parts ridiciculous and comical.
Montreal sign Laraque because he's french and work in the communitty and it was a bussiness move too because he was the best fighter in the league. He fought in his first shift in MTL. He did it for the show. Signing him was a mistake.

Toronto sell their team as a tough team= bussiness move they don't win game because of that.

Phillie show fight all the time on their jumbotron but that's not what they make them win games but it sure help them seilling tickets.


Fighting in hockey is a big gimmick it's not a secret anymore. Do you think pro wrestling is real too?

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:28 PM
  #193
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It didn't stop the cheap shots completely, but it helped them win the cup. In the end Vancouver was tired of being pounded on and stopped paying the price. Thonron was mouthing off to their bench and they had nobody to answer the bell.
They were a game away from winning the Cup for crying out loud. I mean, come on. This emphasis on toughness and grit has gotten completely out of hand.

I've said it before....The Bruins were taken to 7 games by three finesse, non-fighting teams: Montreal, Tampa Bay and Vancouver. The only team they breezed through was the one that was too busy trying to beat them up than play hockey - Philly.

Anyone using the Boston "model" as a paradigm for success is completely misguided IMO.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:30 PM
  #194
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Montreal sign Laraque because he's french and work in the communitty and it was a bussiness move too because he was the best fighter in the league. He fought in his first shift in MTL. He did it for the show. Signing him was a mistake.

Toronto sell their team as a tough team= bussiness move they don't win game because of that.

Phillie show fight all the time on their jumbotron but that's not what they make them win games but it sure help them seilling tickets.


Fighting is hockey is a big gimmick it's not a secret anymore. Do you think pro wrestling is real too?
You're completely dillusional if you don't think fighting plays a role in the game.

NHL teams don't pay guys like Shelley over 1 mil per year to show their fights on the jumbotron, you should listen to yourself sometime. Same for Laraque, if they wanted him for PR they would have hired him for an off ice role not for 4.5 mil.

The reason the Habs need a guy like that is so guys like Cole, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller AK etc plus the smaller guys can play with an edge and don't have to worry about some lunatic jumping them if the score gets out of reach.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:35 PM
  #195
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
When you have guys like Darche and Pyatt on your 4th line I see no reason why that spot cannot be filled out with someone who brings something different to the table. ie. some toughness.

gusfring is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
  #196
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Just what I was thinking...this guy has become the new Artyukhin. A player so valuable and so coveted that he hasn't had an NHL job in a year, probably more now. And now the almighty Konopka had to settle for a 1 year contract on a bottom feeder, for not much more than the league minimum. Those crazy GMs, how can they not see the value in these guys?!

Konopka was on my Habs offseason wishlist but really, who cares at the end of the day. This is going to be a very insignificant non-signing when all is said and done.

On the plus side, Konopka will probably hit free agency again after his stint in Ottawa, so we can start up all this craziness again real soon.
This. I wanted him but no huge loss.

neofury* is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
  #197
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,321
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It didn't stop the cheap shots completely, but it helped them win the cup. In the end Vancouver was tired of being pounded on and stopped paying the price. Thonron was mouthing off to their bench and they had nobody to answer the bell.
Thornton mouthed off to the Vancouver bench and the next time Nathan Horton stepped on the ice he had his head taken off.

After that Thornton actually stuck to playing hockey, which he's not too bad at when it's all said and done.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
  #198
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You're completely dillusional if you don't think fighting plays a role in the game.

NHL teams don't pay guys like Shelley over 1 mil per year to show their fights on the jumbotron, you should listen to yourself sometime. Same for Laraque, if they wanted him for PR they would have hired him for an off ice role not for 4.5 mil.

The reason the Habs need a guy like that is so guys like Cole, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller AK etc plus the smaller guys can play with an edge and don't have to worry about some lunatic jumping them if the score gets out of reach.
sorry you're wrong.

PK will play with a edge next year and the same thing will happen. A guy will come in front of him PK will keep his glove receive a punch and we will be on a power play. You think they are scare because some guy might drop their gloves in front of them.

Dirty players will play dirty even if we have 10 guys who can fight it's two separate things. The only kind of players who can scares teams are the guys who give cheap shot and we have some of them in our team.

and the Laraque move was a mistake everyone was on his back because he didn't defend his teamates on the ice. But Laraque job was just to fight for the show with guys who want to fight him, How can you not see that?

Quarantesix is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:38 PM
  #199
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You're completely dillusional if you don't think fighting plays a role in the game.

NHL teams don't pay guys like Shelley over 1 mil per year to show their fights on the jumbotron, you should listen to yourself sometime. Same for Laraque, if they wanted him for PR they would have hired him for an off ice role not for 4.5 mil.

The reason the Habs need a guy like that is so guys like Cole, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller AK etc plus the smaller guys can play with an edge and don't have to worry about some lunatic jumping them if the score gets out of reach.
It's like this with the Canadiens fans. They don't understand that fighting is a part of hockey. They are proud to be humiliate by tough hockey clubs, to refuse fighting when an opposants propose to drop the gloves, to look the ground when a teamates take a big hit or a cheap shot... And when PK do something, it's so nice to see him hide behind the refs...

They love to see a good defensive hockey game who finish 1-0...

Sorry but I want a show. I want to see MY players respond. I want them to be proud of being a Canadiens players. Now the CH represent the softness...

Aurel Joliat is offline  
Old
07-05-2011, 12:39 PM
  #200
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,275
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The reason the Habs need a guy like that is so guys like Cole, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller AK etc plus the smaller guys can play with an edge and don't have to worry about some lunatic jumping them if the score gets out of reach.
This is the part of the argument that I have a problem with. It's such an 80's mentality. Nobody abides by the "you take out my guy I'm coming after your guy" code anymore. How protected did Eric Tangradi feel last year with Rupp on his bench when Trevor Gillies beat his head in? What stopped Victor Hedman from driving Crosby's head into the boards? What stopped Raffi Torres from elbowing Eberle in the head, with McIntyre on Edmonton's bench? What stopped Matt Cooke from trying to knock McDonagh's block off against the Rangers? The answer to all these things - nothing. The idea of signing a goon as some sort of a preventative measure is patently ludicrous and dated because it does..not..work.

hototogisu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.