HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
Anybody has opinion on Gagne? As a Semin replacement.

Sniper? Yes. Injury-prone? Yes. But canadian, full of experience.

EDIT: On the side note keeping too many forwards will make Fehr 3rd-4th liner and will lower his trade value.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

EDIT: On the side note keeping too many forwards will make Fehr 3rd-4th liner and will lower his trade value.
Gagne's had the worst kind of injuries for a hockey player, IMO, groin issues and concussions. I'd take him on the cheap as a Semin replacement, but he'd be far from my first choice. I'd rather have Cole.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd rather have Cole.
After LaRose and Jokinen resigned for Canes... I think Cole will push for 5M easily. Or resign with Canes for cheap.

On the other note: Montador is signed in Chicago for 2,75M. While others are signing vet tough defenders, we are coveting Schultz. Sad.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Caps Minx Reporter Katie clicked a piece to help kill the time until midnight...

Quote:
--A second-line center has been one of Washington’s top needs in recent years. While it’s possible the Capitals could look to fill that void from the outside via free agency or trade, McPhee said this week he would like to see Brooks Laich play at center more. If that’s the way Washington’s brass has penciled in the 2011-12 lineup, it may signal the pursuit of say a third-line winger – maybe someone like Sean Bergenheim -- to bolster depth.
I am still miffed we are letting Varly walk. I tend to think George will not want Holtby riding the pine for 50 games this year. And will sign a vet.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:

I don't really buy into the nationality philosophy.

All things considered, I'd rather have Iginla as a Semin replacement. Get a guy who plays a different style game, rather than essentially the same guy, otherwise it doesn't really change much (this is a change-for-the-sake-of-change replacement, yes?).

Old
06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
After LaRose and Jokinen resigned for Canes... I think Cole will push for 5M easily. Or resign with Canes for cheap.

On the other note: Montador is signed in Chicago for 2,75M. While others are signing vet tough defenders, we are coveting Schultz. Sad.
Cole's not getting anywhere near 5M, unless it's from a team who REALLY wants to overspend to hit the floor. But all indications out of Carolina are that he wants term, and not even a team trying to reach the floor will give him 5M for multiple years.

Also after LaRose and Jokinen re-signed for the Canes, I died a little inside looking at Laich's contract.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am still miffed we are letting Varly walk. I tend to think George will not want Holtby riding the pine for 50 games this year. And will sign a vet.
Why? We have Sabourin.

If Neuvirth is healthy - he is playing. If he is injured - Holtby is up and getting starts. Whyno?

Old
06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Caps Minx Reporter Katie clicked a piece to help kill the time until midnight...

Not like we have a choice. This is all on Varly wanting more than he's earned here in DC.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Why? We have Saburin.

If Neuvirth is healthy - he is playing. If he is injured - Holtby is up and getting starts. Whyno?
Is Sabby NHL backup worthy? Katie is speculating on George bringing in a vet, Hedberg or Boucher. Replacing Varly with Sabourin is probably a small step back in the G dept. I would almost rather see a 50/50 split of games, Holtby and Neuvy get half each.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Robert Theodorson

Signing Alzner is this team's #1 priority right now that's getting no attention.

Everything else is quite inconsequential when compared to this.

Varly was qualified, if he wants to play in the NHL he will play for us, if not cya.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Not like we have a choice. This is all on Varly wanting more than he's earned here in DC.
Do you think GM offered him Neuvy money? I doubt we will ever know, but I think it was less. And I think because he was injured, and simply fell out of favor with Bruce. That gets the low ball bid.

Yet the same injury didnt stop him extending Poti. Tom took a discount to stay here, had no other option. Two more years. Ha.

When you see Sabourin in goal for us next year, remember we are probably only saving ~500K having him in goal over Varly.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Signing Alzner is this team's #1 priority right now that's getting no attention.

Everything else is quite inconsequential when compared to this.

Varly was qualified, if he wants to play in the NHL he will play for us, if not cya.
Alzner's deal will get done. He's been qualified, so McPhee can match any offer that comes along. I don't think he has arbitration rights? so it's just time and figuring out how much the Caps can afford to pay him (and Carlson's deal will probably be the same as his, next year, so I'm sure that comes into consideration) compared to how much he wants, and working out the numbers between the two. But you're right, if Alzner isn't signed by training camp, I'll be the first in line calling for McPhee's immediate firing.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
capsfan528

Mcphee would be completely retarded to trade away green...trade semin for anything but dont get rid of arguably the most offensive dman in the nhl...

Old
06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

If Laich was the answer at C he'd already be playing there. He's been on the team how long? I'd rather see Johansson there and he's both smaller and younger.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Where's Dash been? It feels like he bolted to the KHL or something...

Old
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
If Laich was the answer at C he'd already be playing there. He's been on the team how long? I'd rather see Johansson there and he's both smaller and younger.
You don't think players are constantly improving and adapting their game?

I agree with you thought, I don't think Laich has the offensive skill set to play 2C. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I'd also put Johansson there ahead of Laich, if only to get him more experience in a prominent role so he can be even more of a monster come playoff time than he was last year.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

That seems like a lot for Montador.

(Figured we'd keep all the free agency talk in one thread.)

Old
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
Mcphee would be completely retarded to trade away green...trade semin for anything but dont get rid of arguably the most offensive dman in the nhl...
How many goals has this awesome offensive dman scored in the past two years?

Mike Green is a talented player with some huge questions hanging on him. Can he be an effective power play player now that defenses have taken away the backdoor pass? Can he produce offense while focusing on playing defense? Can he stay healthy?

So far the answer to all 3 is no.

Mcphee would be a fool to trade him, but not because of who he is as a player. Mcphee shouldn't move him because his value is in the toilet.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
That seems like a lot for Montador.

(Figured we'd keep all the free agency talk in one thread.)
It did seem like a lot until I remembered that's Jeff Schultz money.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Fan Forum conf call starting now....Olie on...

Old
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'm a fan of Montador but, yeah, he got paid. Makes the chances of Hannan signing for ~$3M seem pretty remote.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Why is George banging everyones heads against the wall, wanting to try him yet again at C this upcoming season?

I think he could certainly excel in a 3C checking role, but then we overpaid him to be Mr Utility. We may try to go with 3 scoring lines again, which I think needs to be realized... has failed us come playoff time. When all the scoring in the league can get trumped by blood sweat and bruises.

We need changes for him to exceed as a 2C otherwise I think he is doomed to move back to wing. It starts with finding him a LW. Maybe tweaking Bruce's system, tell Sarge and Alzner, let Laich try and keep up the pressure in the offensive zone. Pinch when you dont need to be covered, only. And just to keep you on board, do something with Semin. Play him on the 1st line, or get a LW that compliments Laich Semin. Ok yeah or trade him.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
See you at the crossroads... TFS

Old
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'm a fan of Montador but, yeah, he got paid. Makes the chances of Hannan signing for ~$3M seem pretty remote.
So can we go 10% over the cap space during the summer, until we get the roster finalized before the season starts? If so sign Hannan now and work on the deal to move Schultz. You know there's takers out there for Schultz.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Well with 3 defensemen (Montador, Ehrhoff and Wisnewski) all having their rights traded to other teams and in the case of Ehrhoff twice, all of this suggests that just like last year, this year's FA market will begin with a run on defensemen.

Re-sign Hannan and add Martinek and say good-bye to Schultz.

Closed Thread