HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 08:19 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Varly's agent and the crazy internet conspiracy theories. Can you blame him taking a stab at trying to come up with ideas of why his client wasnt used late in the tampa series. Neuvy gave Bruce the best chance to win I know. Even if he said it was about money, who cares.

Just curious. Varly wins 4 straight in relief and just for kicks we win the next series before bowing out, what would a fair offer be for Varly, exactly Neuvy's? Unchanged? 500K more?

Bruce made a statement. I dont trust Varly to be my backup. His agent cant say that. Right? He cant bash Bruce and burn the bridge, so he uses the spinmeter 3000.

I cant help but think we end up getting a vet G to replace Varly and upgrade Sabourin. I knew when I read Varly say he wont settle for TOO much a pay cut over the KHL, he was a goner. He was out of favor with Bruce, and had so few GP to warrant more $.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Varly's agent and the crazy internet conspiracy theories. Can you blame him taking a stab at trying to come up with ideas of why his client wasnt used late in the tampa series. Neuvy gave Bruce the best chance to win I know. Even if he said it was about money, who cares.

Just curious. Varly wins 4 straight in relief and just for kicks we win the next series before bowing out, what would a fair offer be for Varly, exactly Neuvy's? Unchanged? 500K more?

Bruce made a statement. I dont trust Varly to be my backup. His agent cant say that. Right? He cant bash Bruce and burn the bridge, so he uses the spinmeter 3000.

I cant help but think we end up getting a vet G to replace Varly and upgrade Sabourin. I knew when I read Varly say he wont settle for TOO much a pay cut over the KHL, he was a goner. He was out of favor with Bruce, and had so few GP.

The best thing for Varly and the Caps:

- Varly goes to KHL for a year

- Caps suck it again this year and Ted finally grows a spine and fires McPhee and Boudreau.

- An able GM is brought in and Varly and Holtby fight it out for #1. Neuvy is good but he's our 3rd best goalie.

- Win Cup

Old
06-30-2011, 08:28 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Buffalo's defense is ridiculous.

Regehr-Myers
Erhoff-Leopold

Old
06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The Hannan thing is mind blowing.

I sincerely hope McPhee's contingency plan isn't Shaone Morrisonn.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Buffalo's defense is ridiculous.

Regehr-Myers
Erhoff-Leopold
They'll be a tough playoff out for sure until Regehr ages a little more.

06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
They'll be a tough playoff out for sure until Regehr ages a little more.
And I wanted to mention that that's all in front of Miller. Goals are going to be tough to come by against the Sabres.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Shea Weber should be added to the UFA list, as should Suter. I'd do everything possible to get that pair if I were GMGM. Makes a Green trade make a ton of sense. This top four would be sick:

Suter-Weber
Alzner-Carlson

I frankly wouldn't care who was in the third pairing. That top four would play upwards of 50 minutes every game.
Does that include Tyler Sloan?

Old
06-30-2011, 08:39 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Really the most interesting thing with Buffalo is going to be this Richards deal. They want him badly, but if they sign him, their entire 4th line and 3rd pairing are going to be league minimum guys for the duration of his contract. They'd probably be better served filling out some depth.

No 4th line and no 3rd pairing or injury replacements is a problem for any team.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:41 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Just an observation, when it comes to discussing some players i.e. Semin, Chimera and Fehr on these boards you'll find some that will think they're the best and the Caps need to keep them while others will think they stink and need to be traded.

Perhaps I might have missed it, but with Jeff Schultz he's like Tyler Sloan, I don't recall anyone expressing anything positive about him.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just an observation, when it comes to discussing some players i.e. Semin, Chimera and Fehr on these boards you'll find some that will think they're the best and the Caps need to keep them while others will think they stink and need to be traded.

Perhaps I might have missed it, but with Jeff Schultz he's like Tyler Sloan, I don't recall anyone expressing anything positive about him.
No one on the team earned their contracts last year other than possibly the goalies and Carlzner.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Defensemen who will go to the market tomorrow:

http://capgeek.com/ufa_finder.php?po..._type=ICE_TIME

I bet Hannan will get his contract. Not with Caps. Both guys we could be interested in are righties.

So that mythic top4 tough LD isn't available from the UFA market, right?

Logic says nobody will trade such a good LD for Semin also.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:54 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

- Caps suck it again this year and Ted finally grows a spine and fires McPhee and Boudreau.

- An able GM is brought in and Varly and Holtby fight it out for #1. Neuvy is good but he's our 3rd best goalie.

- Win Cup

Varly will not return and we will get nothing for him. Bad GMGM move.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Really the most interesting thing with Buffalo is going to be this Richards deal. They want him badly, but if they sign him, their entire 4th line and 3rd pairing are going to be league minimum guys for the duration of his contract. They'd probably be better served filling out some depth.

No 4th line and no 3rd pairing or injury replacements is a problem for any team.
It's never actually that bad, certainly not over the long-term. They'd probably dump Leopold or Morrisonn (or both) and stash Kotalik in the minors. Problem solved. They have cheaper D capable of 4-7 roles. Pegula's got deep pockets and clearly wants to make a statement. I liked him at first but another hugely front-loaded deal I'll be rooting for that team to fail and fail hard.
Quote:
No one on the team earned their contracts last year other than possibly the goalies and Carlzner.
+ Johansson, Hendricks, Erskine, BGordon and Laich.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If we're putting together a wish list, I'll take Joel Ward, James Wisnewski and Tomas Fleischmann for the lulz. People would freak.

I'd want Hannan back if the Caps are going to be playing a tight defensive game again, but if they're opening it up again, it might be better to look for alternatives. The same question affects Green in a big way.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

- Win Cup
By this you're suggesting our team owner grows a pair and is finally able to stand up to McPhee.

Don't see it happenin buddy

Old
06-30-2011, 09:01 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's never actually that bad, certainly not over the long-term. They'd probably dump Leopold or Morrisonn (or both) and stash Kotalik in the minors. Problem solved. They have cheaper D capable of 4-7 roles. Pegula's got deep pockets and clearly wants to make a statement. I liked him at first but another hugely front-loaded deal I'll be rooting for that team to fail and fail hard.
Uh, that's already figuring in them dumping ShaMo, Kotalik and Boyes. That's the only way they can sign Richards and still fill out a roster.

The cap will go up, but they've got some guys who are due raises which will cancel it out.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:01 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Anyone want to venture a guess on Alzner's next deal? Anything pushing 3 seems high to me. He has one full season under his belt. I am guessing all the rage the front loaded 4 year deal 2.5 cap hit.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
We really expect Neuvy to win a cup next year? Neuvy! Hahaha. You win cups with goalies like Thomas, Fleury, not Neuvy..
Fluery was Neuvy til he went to the finals. Then he was a cup winner. Then he lost his focus and became....well....

Nobody was going to win a cup with Niemi til they did. Would you rather have Luongo? Would you rather have Vokoun who has less of a playoff resume than Neuvirth?

Old
06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
No talks with Hannan make me really question their aggressiveness as well as the extent to which the Poti situation is resolved..
I really think you are reading Meehan's comments wrong. He is quoted as saying there were talks with McPhee. No offer does not mean no talks. It means that they had a basic difference in needs and that the agent/player wanted to see if they could get what they wanted on the ufa market.

That Meehan said that after the market opens there might be more talks suggests that.

You know that McPhee has boundries he won't go beyond. If Meehan wants something beyond those boundries, this is what happens. Right?

Old
06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Anyone want to venture a guess on Alzner's next deal? Anything pushing 3 seems high to me. He has one full season under his belt. I am guessing all the rage the front loaded 4 year deal 2.5 cap hit.
The trick is to keep him a RFA at the end of said contract, not sure how many years that requires.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Uh, that's already figuring in them dumping ShaMo, Kotalik and Boyes. That's the only way they can sign Richards and still fill out a roster.

The cap will go up, but they've got some guys who are due raises which will cancel it out.
Yeah, it's risky. Leopold instead of Boyes might work, depending on where their RFAs come in at and how much of a savings they can get by heavily front-loading. They do have some good talent coming through their system, though. That'll help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You know that McPhee has boundries he won't go beyond. If Meehan wants something beyond those boundries, this is what happens. Right?
What's becoming increasingly clear is that McPhee & Fishman are largely lacking in the wherewithal to secure players below market value.

Last edited by Langway: 06-30-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Varly will not return and we will get nothing for him. Bad GMGM move.
caps still hold varly's rights. wouldnt you rather have those than a 3rd round pick?

Old
06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
The trick is to keep him a RFA at the end of said contract, not sure how many years that requires.
thats right, thanks. I believe Green got a 5 year on his last, maybe Alzner will be 5 too.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Why? I see a player like Alzner and I see zero risk. I'd have no problem giving him a 5-10 year deal.

Old
06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
What's becoming increasingly clear is that McPhee & Fishman are largely lacking in the wherewithal to secure players below market value.
maybe so. question remains. if hannan wants 4 years and not a year less, do you sign it or do you look elsewhere or wait for him to come back after 4 years isnt available on the ufa market?

thats all i see going on there.

If Hannan signs elsewhere a 2 year deal, then i will feel differently. If he signs a stupid contract elsewhere, I will say good riddence.

Closed Thread