HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Max Talbot - 5 years $9M, $1.8 AAV

Old
07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its not just him. Im argueing with other Flyers fans who are trying to convince me he is a solid 3rd line center, and thats where he played in Pittsburg... retarded
Didn't he actually play a lot of top 6 minutes?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
Ha! Hansen is a piece of ****!

So much speed, absolutely no finish...
Sounds like most good grinding wingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Hansen is an RFA
That changes things.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

vCash: 50
People get obsessed with terms. We don't need to keep him for the length of the contract do we?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
JVR21
G

18/4 for Cole. So that's why we couldn't get him. Leino probably wants something similar.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been assuming he'd pull 4th line duties.
Thats how I see it. Great in the lockerroom, is pretty good on the pk, will lay out to block shots and will fight when needed. Same role that Lappy played. All of this is on the 4th line.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think that's why it was good news, that he got another job and a decent contract, and isn't hung out the dry like how it's looking for Vokoun.
Okay, yeah, you're probably right.

It annoys me when someone trashes Boosh, then claims Leighton was a good goalie that deserved that contract.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Didn't he actually play a lot of top 6 minutes?
He played 15 minutes a game, but that was because Crosby/Malkin were out. The year before, he only played 12 minutes a game.

Also for the 15 minutes a game, he played 12 of those minutes even strengthened. Around the same amount Nodl played for us.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its not just him. Im argueing with other Flyers fans who are trying to convince me he is a solid 3rd line center, and thats where he played in Pittsburg... retarded
Talbot is the Lappy replacement they were looking for. I highly doubt the team thinks he will play in the center on the third line... Schenn will be.

edit: I really like this deal, will give the team some more character. And I get to troll montreal fans in my area. (Wich were claiming it was a no brainer he'd sign there, same with Briere...)

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:39 PM
cheebatree

Talbot will go down in Pens history as a fan favorite and for all he brought in the 09 cup run. Hopefully he dosen't pull a Jagr, and comes back to finish out his career in Pittsburgh. I'ld bet that the Flyers will trade him in the next 2-3 years at the deadline cause even though he's a good PK and energy player, he'll become to expensive for his role on this team and another team will be looking for a 3rd line guy to make a cup run and his cap hit will be friendlier for their franchise.

cheebatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
VanSciver

Great signing by Holmgren. This replaces the heart and soul they lost when Lappy went down.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:48 PM
AaronTrieu

He is here to sabotage

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:54 PM
infidelappel*

In 09, as much as I hated Talbot, I said he was the type of guy you love to have on your team, and I maintain that. Especially for < $2 mill.

Good signing.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Doyle

Flyers Sign Talbot to 5-Year, $9 Million Deal
http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-sign-t...-million-deal/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Who in their right minds signs a bottom 6 forward to a 5-year deal?

Talbot is a dime a dozen player.

It's getting harder to like this team all the time.
Unless he is 35+ why do people get hung up on the years? The Flyers have the bank to bury a contract in the AHL.

This is the Lappy signing all over again except Talbot has a ring and two cup finals. This move allows Schenn and Coutiere (sp) to take another year to develop if needed rather then be forced into the line up.

Darroll Powe is a dime a dozen player. Talbot is a guy that can be moved up and down the line up for short periods when needed. I thought Dupuis or Talbot would be good signings so I am glad they got one.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
dookie88

Talbot averages nearly 23points per 82 games in the regular season and 41 points in 82 playoff games.

To make this easier:

0.28 Pts/Game in the regular season.
0.50 Pts/Game in the playoffs.

If this guy plays on your fourth line, you are in a pretty good position.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:44 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

This is a great signing, maybe a little bit too high on the cap hit, but whatever.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 03:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

I'm really starting to come around on this one. Didnt like it at first, but I realized Talbot brings exactly what Laperriere brought. That's worth 1.5, imo. If we overpayed by .3m then honestly I couldnt care less.

Now sign Gagne, and I'd call this free agency season a success.

EDIT: And saying this contract (or any non 35+ contract) is bad because of the term is a horrible argument, imo. If you're not a cash strapped team, you can afford to bury money in the minors if it really comes to it. I dont mind if we signed him for 5 years, he can easily be traded, waived, whatever and we lose the cap hit. Not a problem.

EDIT #2: Oh, and signing a better #6 defenseman should be on our list as well.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

The Pens will sign Gagne now, just out of spite.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Hahaha, I thought Philly trolled Pitts with the Jagr thing, but this just cancels that out.

1.8 for a 4th liner for 5 YEARS?? Hahaha.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Hahaha, I thought Philly trolled Pitts with the Jagr thing, but this just cancels that out.

1.8 for a 4th liner for 5 YEARS?? Hahaha.
Who's to say he doesn't get traded in two years?

07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Slowbro

some of these posts in these threads are making us flyers fans look real bad to the whole board...

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1860
Transcript:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/

Quote:
Q: On coming to Philadelphia

“It’s a great team and that was definitely a big part of my decision. I wanted to go to a team that had a chance to win a championship this year, and maybe more than one, because you look at the youth and the moves they made lately with the new goalie and everything. I’m really excited to join the Flyers.”

Q: You’ve played so many huge games against the Flyers – what’s your impression of coming to Philadelphia?

“It’s obviously going to be really challenging. It’s such a big rivalry, obviously. A couple guys called me from the Flyers today and were just telling me what a great place it is to play in Philly. For me, leaving Pittsburgh was never easy. When we saw the negotiations with Pittsburgh were not going the right way… I played six years there and I’ve always thought of myself as a loyal guy and would have done anything for the Penguins. I thought I was going to play my whole career there. But when it was time to move, I wanted to make the right one for me and for the team I was going to go to. The Flyers, for me, I thought it was a great fit. When you look at the Flyers, you’re talking about grit, about leadership, experience, they’re one of the best organizations in the league – they were all factors for me that were really important.”

Q: Do you know Jaromir Jagr at all and do you think he’s got anything left in that tank?

“Never met the guy, I’ve heard about him. There’s a reason why there was so much interest and so much hype about him in this free-agent market – it’s because he’s a good player. I think he showed the world at the last World Championships that he can definitely play. I remember playing against him, he was one of the guys who was always the toughest to play against because he was so big, and he would just control the puck in the corner and make the right play. He’ll be a great fit for the Flyers.”

Q: At what point did you realize you weren’t going to get the deal you wanted in Pittsburgh?

“There was always a little hope. It’s always, like I said, tough to leave a town when you put so much emotion in the city and the team, but at the same time, last Thursday is when I realized that it would be really tough to make a deal, and that’s when me and my agent started looking at other options and other opportunities. That’s when I realized that I may not go back to [Pittsburgh], so I’ve got to go to bed at night and try to visualize myself in another jersey.”

Q: Was it dollars, years or both?

There were a couple of options out there for me today. I had three different factors. The first was to be able to play for a winning team and a winning organization. Leaving Pittsburgh – when you play with one of the top organizations in the league, you don’t want to go to an organization where it’s not as good. The team, the players, the chance to win was the first factor. After that, it was more security, meaning the years. Not knowing what’s going to happen, we were obviously pushing towards the years. Obviously after that, the money comes. It’s nice to see, like I said, a mix of veteran guys and youth with the trades the Flyers did lately, getting Schenn and Couturier and stuff like that. It’s a great mix, and I’m excited to go to camp.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Slowbro

sounds good to me.. he didnt dick around the last question either..

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

I cant wait to read the Talbot appreciation thread on the pens board.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
kicksave27

why didn' homer look at belanger?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote