Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg signs Derek Meech

Old
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
glockner99

vCash: 500
Lets sign up our current roster before we jump at other prospects....There is nothing wrong signing Meech...His signing will not take away from the exciting talent that needs to be signed on the roster....

glockner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:46 PM
HeyYouGuys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
As someone who witnessed Darryl Sutter destroy the Flames with overpaid player contracts for Bowmeester, Sarich, Jokinen, Langkow et al and refusing to give any young players the ice time they need to develope, I'm satisfied with our lack of action today.

Lets face it, the Jets are a young team and are not going to challenge for a Stanley Cup next season.

Free agents like Richards, Lieno, Talbot want to go to a team that can compete for a Stanley Cup now.

I will be patient.
Perfect attitude to have for this team. As long as they develop the talented prospects properly, there is no reason this team can't be a legit playoff threat in 2 years.

HeyYouGuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Don't underrate the experience Meech has from Detroit. Prospects who leave Detroit often end up overacheiving like Ville Leino or Kyle Quincey. Meech actually beat out Quincey in training camp the year Quincey got waived and picked up by the Kings.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:51 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYouGuys View Post
Perfect attitude to have for this team. As long as they develop the talented prospects properly, there is no reason this team can't be a legit playoff threat in 2 years.
I'd be more than comfortable with that route had they not just blown the 7th overall selection a week ago.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

First thing that went through my mind when I saw this was Rick Ross lyrics.

'I think i'm big Meech, Larry Hooverrrr'

Thrashers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
I'd be more than comfortable with that route had they not just blown the 7th overall selection a week ago.
A bit early to say that they "blew it"

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
A bit early to say that they "blew it"
A LOT too early to say that .

Wow , are you Sammy Pollock reincarnated? ...Cool ...

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Cheveldayoff
Noel
Scheifele
Meech...

This is starting to look like an AHL team. Dudley would have actually done something. TNSE REALLY blew it hiring this GM. This team was not a playoff contender last year, and it will not be one this year. This team has only gotten worse thus far.

Incredibly disappointed in the lack of signings today. Nearly all of the quality players that would have helped the Jets are already gone.
what would you perferred them do, sign leino to a 5 million dollar a year contract, how about an injury prone fleishman to a 4.5 million dollar contract? This team will get better through the draft and trades not signing contracts like a drunkin salor, ie tallon. relax, we will be building for a couple of years.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYouGuys View Post
Agreed. i was a flames fan for years and it killed me to watch stupid signings, over and over agian...And all the arrogant flames fans laughed at the oilers....well, flames fans you will see soon enough, as the oilers walk all over your team for years to come.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Agreed. i was a flames fan for years and it killed me to watch stupid signings, over and over agian...And all the arrogant flames fans laughed at the oilers....well, flames fans you will see soon enough, as the oilers walk all over your team for years to come.
I agree.

The Flames are handcuffed and I refuse to see the Jets go down the same path.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
PensFan6687

I know his brother personally and we're quite friendly with eachother. He will like this news.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I agree.

The Flames are handcuffed and I refuse to see the Jets go down the same path.
The Flames got a long,hard rebuild ahead of them.

Chevldayoff aint Sutter and wont get rid of picks and sign & re sign underachiving players to contracts.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Maximum Cheddar

The things I'm disappointed about are not the fact that we didn't sign big ticket guys, it's that we didn't even sign any depth forwards. I thought with letting Stewart go that the Jets were going to make a play for a rightwinger which we are already thin at. Do we even have enough NHL calibre players to ice a team? Also all the players who leave the Detroit system are not good. See the Toronto Bret Lebda experiment, he was also Detroit's number 7 d-man. Finally I would bet that any offers that were made were so rinky dink that when it is finally time to get that big free agent we will just be laughed at. TNSE probably deliberated very hard on spending the $700,000 on Meech.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
I know his brother personally and we're quite friendly with eachother. He will like this news.
I played with meech and he is an old friend from St.V. I am really hoping he gets his break, because it couldn't happen to a better guy. Meechy is a beauty.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Maximum Cheddar

On a comical note that POS Belanger who wouldn't come to Winnipeg as part of the Coyotes signed in Edmonton.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
On a comical note that POS Belanger who wouldn't come to Winnipeg as part of the Coyotes signed in Edmonton.
How exactly would he have come to Winnipeg as part of the Coyotes if he was a UFA?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
masterquan14

although i dont like,well,anything at all chevy has done so far,i will agree they said they will not spend money foolishly on FA etc etc...and things are still of course a bit rushed and everything is happening so fast for this team,so i told myself they get the auto pass this year,with regards to the draft and opening day of Free agency.My opinion is this so far,even though they get the pass this year: 1)noel as head coach makes me wonder a bit,(going with what you know?)thought there was better out there. 2)this meech pickup is pretty much at this point meaningless in my eyes,(hometown guy?)who knows 3)mark schiefele at #7 is a terrible choice in my opinion(ex-jet ducky said he will be good?)i dunno,just not liking what ive seen to start,but then again i dont really like chevy himself either,but thats just my opinion,hope he proves me wrong.like i said he gets a pass this year,and thank god there is some good talent and prospects in this system.

oh didnt like them letting stewart go either,oh well.

masterquan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
The things I'm disappointed about are not the fact that we didn't sign big ticket guys, it's that we didn't even sign any depth forwards. I thought with letting Stewart go that the Jets were going to make a play for a rightwinger which we are already thin at. Do we even have enough NHL calibre players to ice a team? Also all the players who leave the Detroit system are not good. See the Toronto Bret Lebda experiment, he was also Detroit's number 7 d-man. Finally I would bet that any offers that were made were so rinky dink that when it is finally time to get that big free agent we will just be laughed at. TNSE probably deliberated very hard on spending the $700,000 on Meech.

Free agents want to challenge for a Stanley Cup now.

Winnipeg cannot offer that at present.

According to TSN, next years draft class is supposed to be deep.

I see nothing wrong in allowing our young players to play and develope.

Having a lottery pick next year would be a bonus.

Growing pains are involved when building a championship team.

I will be patient.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Evan is going to be mad
Not mad, actually feeling vindicated that I was right.

If Dudley was still GM, I'm fairly certain that this team would of been better than it is now and we probably would of got Kris Versteeg. Oh well, it will be a tough year ahead for Jets fans.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Hypocritical for sure!

Old
07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Maximum Cheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
How exactly would he have come to Winnipeg as part of the Coyotes if he was a UFA?
He basically said if the Coyotes move to Winnipeg he would not entertain offers from the Jets.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
The things I'm disappointed about are not the fact that we didn't sign big ticket guys, it's that we didn't even sign any depth forwards.
I find it absolutely hillarious that you, at 1630hrs on the afternoon of July 1st, are disappointed that the Jets didn't sign any depth forwards.

Do you have any clue how many friggen depth forwards are still available as of 1630hrs on July 1st??

Did you hear something about an NHL offseason transaction deadline at 1630hrs today? Or do we still have three months to acquire you some 'depth' forwards?

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Can't wait to boo him when they come here

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I find it absolutely hillarious that you, at 1630hrs on the afternoon of July 1st, are disappointed that the Jets didn't sign any depth forwards.

Do you have any clue how many friggen depth forwards are still available as of 1630hrs on July 1st??

Did you hear something about an NHL offseason transaction deadline at 1630hrs today? Or do we still have three months to acquire you some 'depth' forwards?
Bingo! Usually there is tons of moves after the free agent frenzy show is concluded. Honestly ppl who would you wanted in this free agent class. which player sticks out like wow!!! we need that guy! No one. minus Richards.

Old
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Evan ....

Overspending does not guarantee you'll be better. Dudley would have had to way overpay to get anybody to sign here much like what Columbus did with Wisniewski.

Besides, nobody knows for sure right now who they offered what to. Bottom line is there are two sides to free agency. The player also has to want to sign there.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote