Notices

Winnipeg signs Derek Meech

Old
07-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Maximum Cheddar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I find it absolutely hillarious that you, at 1630hrs on the afternoon of July 1st, are disappointed that the Jets didn't sign any depth forwards.

Do you have any clue how many friggen depth forwards are still available as of 1630hrs on July 1st??

Did you hear something about an NHL offseason transaction deadline at 1630hrs today? Or do we still have three months to acquire you some 'depth' forwards?
Yes I understand that there are depth forwards still avaliable but as all the teams are fighting for the top dogs we could have our pick of the depth forwards insted of waiting for whats at the bottom of the barrel. It's called being pro-active. But I'm sure you'll be ok with signing all the league minimum specials.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Overspending does not guarantee you'll be better. Dudley would have had to way overpay to get anybody to sign here much like what Columbus did with Wisniewski.

Besides, nobody knows for sure right now who they offered what to. Bottom line is there are two sides to free agency. The player also has to want to sign there.
Exactly. Unless you are a top five destination for UFA's, July 1 is a huge trap.

Middleweight teams overpay dramatically for second and third rate talents, just to try and foolishly keep up. I am extremely pleased the Jets haven't engaged in any of this. The Wisniewski contract is ridiculous.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm of the opinion that all the negativity coming out of Phoenix at the time of relocation to Winnipeg threats was probably scripted for the most part. As a kind of message from the NHL that the franchise was most definately not moving anywhere for the following season. If EB truly felt that way about Winnipeg, then he would definately not be going to Edmonton, guaranteed.
Corrected

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
Yes I understand that there are depth forwards still avaliable but as all the teams are fighting for the top dogs we could have our pick of the depth forwards insted of waiting for whats at the bottom of the barrel. It's called being pro-active. But I'm sure you'll be ok with signing all the league minimum specials.
I'm glad Chevaldayoff has a greater attention span than some fans. Just because it's exciting to watch TSN's coverage and hope the Jets make some moves to entertain you doesn't mean they should be making moves.

Today is a trap, nothing more. Mediocre players lick their chops and wait for a bidding war from teams like Columbus, Colorado, Florida, Phoenix and Winnipeg.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Or he very quickly realized that he is not wanted by the real contenders

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Hopefully there's more than Meech the eye.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Maximum Cheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I'm glad Chevaldayoff has a greater attention span than some fans. Just because it's exciting to watch TSN's coverage and hope the Jets make some moves to entertain you doesn't mean they should be making moves.

Today is a trap, nothing more. Mediocre players lick their chops and wait for a bidding war from teams like Columbus, Colorado, Florida, Phoenix and Winnipeg.
Look buddy I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying I'd like better players than say Maxwell or Stapleton on our 3rd or 4th lines.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
First thing that went through my mind when I saw this was Rick Ross lyrics.

'I think i'm big Meech, Larry Hooverrrr'
Rosaayyyyy

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
You sir, win at life

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:

Good signing, glad they're taking it slow and not throwing big money at mediocre players.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Good depth signing who'll come good when needed.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:

I guess Meech is the new Freddy Meyer

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:59 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
The things I'm disappointed about are not the fact that we didn't sign big ticket guys, it's that we didn't even sign any depth forwards. I thought with letting Stewart go that the Jets were going to make a play for a rightwinger which we are already thin at. Do we even have enough NHL calibre players to ice a team? Also all the players who leave the Detroit system are not good. See the Toronto Bret Lebda experiment, he was also Detroit's number 7 d-man. Finally I would bet that any offers that were made were so rinky dink that when it is finally time to get that big free agent we will just be laughed at. TNSE probably deliberated very hard on spending the $700,000 on Meech.
Let's not forget that the only player that was lost to free agency so far has been Radek Dvorak, who I believe Chevy and Zinger had no interest in anyways. Anyone notice that Anthony Stewart and others haven't been signed by anyone (yet). So that doesn't mean that the Jets may not end up signing Stewart anyways. And probably at their price, not his.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
On a comical note that POS Belanger who wouldn't come to Winnipeg as part of the Coyotes signed in Edmonton.
I noticed that too. Hope he doesn't freeze to death next winter.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
ThrashersTrueBlue

Quote:
Lynk, I miss you on the Thrashers boards...You are awesome. haha.

ThrashersTrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Cheveldayoff
Noel
Scheifele
Meech...

This is starting to look like an AHL team. Dudley would have actually done something. TNSE REALLY blew it hiring this GM. This team was not a playoff contender last year, and it will not be one this year. This team has only gotten worse thus far.

Incredibly disappointed in the lack of signings today. Nearly all of the quality players that would have helped the Jets are already gone.
This is an NHL level signing. Meech has been toiling away for an organization with incredible depth on defense. This is his chance to break into the NHL and prove himself. This is a strong signing by an organization who's showing that it knows what it's doing.

Teams like the Leafs should be watching and learning. The Jets just signed a player someone like the great Burke would have probably signed for over $1.5Million.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Well played!

Quick edit: A Derek Meech signing thread has hit 3 pages.

Nice.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:20 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groutzky View Post
I agree. I'm worried that Chipman won't spend past the floor of the cap when it was expected that Winnipeggers spend their hard-earned money on guaranteed season ticket sales.
Then you'll really know what Atlanta fans had to deal with over the past few seasons.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersTrueBlue View Post
Lynk, I miss you on the Thrashers boards...You are awesome. haha.
You too man.

Good to see you joined up here. Not the same obviously but still a good way to stay in touch.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:27 AM
ThrashersTrueBlue

Quote:
You too man.

Good to see you joined up here. Not the same obviously but still a good way to stay in touch.
Yeah, I have been going crazy without a message board to go to. I joined this one and just went to Nashvilles for the first time.

Feels really awkward being here cheering for "my" team when it's no longer "mine"....

<sigh>

ThrashersTrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:37 AM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersTrueBlue View Post
Feels really awkward being here cheering for "my" team when it's no longer "mine"....

<sigh>
This little head game helped me. I made like the Jets were my daughter. It went like this. She got married and moved to Phx. The name is not the same but she is still my daughter. It did take some time to come up with that one I must admit. I think everyone dealt with it in their own way. Maybe others can post how they dealt with the loss of the Jets.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:24 AM
masterquan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Let's not forget that the only player that was lost to free agency so far has been Radek Dvorak, who I believe Chevy and Zinger had no interest in anyways. Anyone notice that Anthony Stewart and others haven't been signed by anyone (yet). So that doesn't mean that the Jets may not end up signing Stewart anyways. And probably at their price, not his.
dont count on it

masterquan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquan14 View Post
dont count on it
To qualify Stewart, theyíd have had to offer him 695,750. At that rate, it looks like they just didnít want him. While Iím at it, Schremp needed 788,288. The players could accept it, becoming contracted players, or reject it, becoming restricted free agents. Since they werenít offered the contracts, they became unrestricted free agents. Of course, there is the possibility that Stewart indicated privately that he didnít want to play in Winnipeg.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:51 AM
masterquan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
To qualify Stewart, theyíd have had to offer him 695,750. At that rate, it looks like they just didnít want him. While Iím at it, Schremp needed 788,288. The players could accept it, becoming contracted players, or reject it, becoming restricted free agents. Since they werenít offered the contracts, they became unrestricted free agents. Of course, there is the possibility that Stewart indicated privately that he didnít want to play in Winnipeg.
i agree with everything u said,except i believe he wanted to play here,we've all seen him sportin the jets caps,he's tweeted a few times,i find it hard to believe he didnt want to come here,but only he knows for sure,having said that,i think winnipegs management has a little bit cold feet,just my opinion

masterquan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquan14 View Post
i agree with everything u said,except i believe he wanted to play here,we've all seen him sportin the jets caps,he's tweeted a few times,i find it hard to believe he didnt want to come here,but only he knows for sure,having said that,i think winnipegs management has a little bit cold feet,just my opinion
Maybe True North thought that he was the guy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They did buy this club from ASG after all.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote