HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Sign Mike Rupp (3 years, $1.5M Per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2011, 10:11 PM
  #176
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
If we walk away from this year's UFA crop with Rupp and Richards, it would be our best UFA summer in the past 5 years. Probably longer.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
  #177
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Don't mind the Rupp signing. Kind of like it. Surprised they signed Feds too though.

Where's the room for kids? If we sign BR and resign all of our RFA's, we're over the forward limit. I have no problem playing Feds and Rupp, but we need Avery or Christensen (or both please) to take a hike then. Get rid of dead weight.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin (hehe)-Anisimov-Callahan
Feds-Stepan-Zucc
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-G
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon
Eminger

I dig.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:27 PM
  #178
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,889
vCash: 50
Zucc and Erixon are kids.

There is plenty of youth in a NYR lineup with just one true rookie (Erixon)

I don't think we should have more spots open than we do right now. A LW prospect shouldnt be handed a spot. Let Zuccarello fight with Thomas.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
  #179
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Zucc and Erixon are kids.

There is plenty of youth in a NYR lineup with just one true rookie (Erixon)

I don't think we should have more spots open than we do right now. A LW prospect shouldnt be handed a spot. Let Zuccarello fight with Thomas.
That is exactly the point I've been trying to make in a few different threads. It's silly to just hold a spot open for a kid. That's not the right way to go about things. Make the kids earn their spot with the big club. If they do, they'll be up and playing.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
  #180
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Don't mind the Rupp signing. Kind of like it. Surprised they signed Feds too though.

Where's the room for kids? If we sign BR and resign all of our RFA's, we're over the forward limit. I have no problem playing Feds and Rupp, but we need Avery or Christensen (or both please) to take a hike then. Get rid of dead weight.

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Hagelin (hehe)-Anisimov-Callahan
Feds-Stepan-Zucc
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Staal-G
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon
Eminger

I dig.
Rupp can also take faceoffs so he could be a center on this team.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:27 PM
  #181
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,580
vCash: 500
Have to say i've come around on the signing. Even if all he does is fight the guys Prust and his t-rex arms can't, it's fine. He's a big guy and a very good locker room guy.

I think we'll alternate him, Feds and Avery around.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 11:44 PM
  #182
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,968
vCash: 500
Dont mind Rupp, tough guy but he can also play abit. Rupp and Prust line will scare few people.

What I dont like is 3 years but oh well.

EDIT: just realised we resigned Feds as well. Good. Rangers played better with Feds in their lineup.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:01 AM
  #183
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
ive officially changed my mind from being "ok with this deal" to totally loving it.

for the past, i dunno, 6 years or so, all ive been saying is, id rather have a guy who can play hockey, hit, and contribute out there on my 4th line than to have a heavyweight.

Miek Rupp is everything ive always wanted in a 4th line player. tough, willing to drop the gloves, can play a regular shift and not only "not hurt you" but actually be effective and helpful out there.

im going to go out on a limb and say that Rupp - Boyle - Prust will be the best 4th line in hockey, assuming all 3 are with the Rangers next season (i have a feeling Boyle may be traded...just a gut feeling, nothing ive heard)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:11 AM
  #184
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ive officially changed my mind from being "ok with this deal" to totally loving it.

for the past, i dunno, 6 years or so, all ive been saying is, id rather have a guy who can play hockey, hit, and contribute out there on my 4th line than to have a heavyweight.

Miek Rupp is everything ive always wanted in a 4th line player. tough, willing to drop the gloves, can play a regular shift and not only "not hurt you" but actually be effective and helpful out there.

im going to go out on a limb and say that Rupp - Boyle - Prust will be the best 4th line in hockey, assuming all 3 are with the Rangers next season (i have a feeling Boyle may be traded...just a gut feeling, nothing ive heard)
Thats a fourth line that you can A. put out there in ANY situation, and B. would make an amazing energy line. They can all heavily forecheck and all can pot a few goals. I'm stoked with this signing.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:23 AM
  #185
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
If Boyle were to be traded, is there any real possibility of Rupp centering Feds and Pruster? Just because I'm having the same gut feeling as Inferno re: possible Boyle trade and honestly I think it might be the right move, assuming we are trading a forward. I just can't see Boyle improving on or honestly even duplicating last season and feel that it would be in our best interest to sell high, especially considering that if we are able to bring Richards on we're gonna have a hell of a time trying to fit all 5 RFAs under the cap.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:33 AM
  #186
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
If Boyle were to be traded, is there any real possibility of Rupp centering Feds and Pruster? Just because I'm having the same gut feeling as Inferno re: possible Boyle trade and honestly I think it might be the right move, assuming we are trading a forward. I just can't see Boyle improving on or honestly even duplicating last season and feel that it would be in our best interest to sell high, especially considering that if we are able to bring Richards on we're gonna have a hell of a time trying to fit all 5 RFAs under the cap.
i think thats pretty much how i see it happening.

Rangers sign richards, they then move Dubinsky, Boyle and one of their young D prospects for a top end left winger (no idea who)

just a feeling, no idea who that would be.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:38 AM
  #187
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think thats pretty much how i see it happening.

Rangers sign richards, they then move Dubinsky, Boyle and one of their young D prospects for a top end left winger (no idea who)

just a feeling, no idea who that would be.
Moving Dubinsky isn't a good idea. We should try to add to our top 6 depth and not trade it away. Use non roster pieces like a Del Zotto. I'm ok with using Boyle as well.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:40 AM
  #188
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 50
I'm not gonna try and force myself to like this signing. It's a terrible deal mostly because it's redundant. The cap hit is "meh" but the years are bad. Three is too much. There was absolutely no point to signing Rupp unless we lost Fedotenko, and even that is arguable. I don't really see the point in signing a fourth liner. There's no reason your farm can't provide a friggin fourth liner if you really need one.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:51 AM
  #189
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm not gonna try and force myself to like this signing. It's a terrible deal mostly because it's redundant. The cap hit is "meh" but the years are bad. Three is too much. There was absolutely no point to signing Rupp unless we lost Fedotenko, and even that is arguable. I don't really see the point in signing a fourth liner. There's no reason your farm can't provide a friggin fourth liner if you really need one.
Depth is never a bag thing and the cap hit is small enough that he's either going to produce at a cost-appropriate level or you can bury him in the AHL.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
  #190
hawkeye2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
richards in, dubinsky out?

If you get Richards, would you trade Dubinsky?
You´re deep in C, Rupp can also play that position.

Dubinsky would be perfect fit for hawks 2nd C, with Brunette and Hossa.

So
Dub
for
Frolik or Kyle Beech, Campoli and 2nd 2012.

???


Last edited by hawkeye2: 07-02-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: MOVED TO OWN THREAD
hawkeye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:00 AM
  #191
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
Depth is never a bag thing and the cap hit is small enough that he's either going to produce at a cost-appropriate level or you can bury him in the AHL.
Depth is nice, there's no arguing that, but I'm pretty confident we have some boys down in the AHL that could handle a fourth line job well enough if one of our bottom six went out. Cap space is too valuable to throw away on things you don't need.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:03 AM
  #192
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2 View Post
If you get Richards, would you trade Dubinsky?
You´re deep in C, Rupp can also play that position.

Dubinsky would be perfect fit for hawks 2nd C, with Brunette and Hossa.

So
Dub
for
Frolik or Kyle Beech, Campoli and 2nd 2012.

???
Dubi plays LW.

Dubi for Ryder, Halak and a 2nd?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:10 AM
  #193
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,339
vCash: 500
Pretty sure Sather is up to something on the trade front

on paper I am surprised both Rupp and Feds are signed but depth wise it does make sense

at this pt assuming BR comes

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Stepan, Callahan
Boyle, Anisimov, Fedotenko
Avery, Rupp, Prust
Christensen

means Zuccarello, Hagelin start in CT. Kolarik, Weise, Newbury, Mitchell, Bourque

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:12 AM
  #194
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Moving Dubinsky isn't a good idea. We should try to add to our top 6 depth and not trade it away. Use non roster pieces like a Del Zotto. I'm ok with using Boyle as well.
oh that would be my preference as well. but its tough to make the dollars work then.

unless you can also offload Wolski.

Let's say we deal Boyle, MDZ and something else for Jarome Iginla for poops and giggles (stupid swearing filter)

i guess keeping Dubi could work....heres the math....

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Jarome Iginla ($7.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.100m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,529,167; BONUSES: $2,125,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $770,833

but you only have 770k to sign your reserve forward and defenseman. if you dont keep a reserve defenseman that still isnt enough money to even keep Christensen around.

Somethings gotta give.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:23 AM
  #195
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think thats pretty much how i see it happening.

Rangers sign richards, they then move Dubinsky, Boyle and one of their young D prospects for a top end left winger (no idea who)

just a feeling, no idea who that would be.
I would be if Slats were to trade Duby after a Richards signing. Aren't we after Richards to get more out of Duby and others?

Mike Rupp signing should have zero effect on anything outside of the 4th line.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:24 AM
  #196
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Have to say i've come around on the signing. Even if all he does is fight the guys Prust and his t-rex arms can't, it's fine. He's a big guy and a very good locker room guy.

I think we'll alternate him, Feds and Avery around.
This is so amazingly true.

I love Prust, and think he is most definitely part of this teams core, but his arms are too short for him to substantially win any fight. He can hold his own with the best of them, however.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:40 AM
  #197
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Pretty sure Sather is up to something on the trade front

on paper I am surprised both Rupp and Feds are signed but depth wise it does make sense

at this pt assuming BR comes

Dubinsky, Richards, Gaborik
Wolski, Stepan, Callahan
Boyle, Anisimov, Fedotenko
Avery, Rupp, Prust
Christensen

means Zuccarello, Hagelin start in CT. Kolarik, Weise, Newbury, Mitchell, Bourque
I think the posts above may be correct about Boyle being a trade target.

We got him on the cheap from LA and now that his stock has risen, he may be dangled. Rupp can take his place at C and we go with a line of Feds-Rupp-Prust.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:50 AM
  #198
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust
 
MacTruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Rupper17
3 things will stay true.... 1) I won't like the Miami Heat (LBJ) 2) grown men shouldn't ride scooters 3) I will hit the Mullet,for all fans!

love this guy already

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:15 AM
  #199
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
So... do we play Fedetenko on the third line? Boyle on the third line? I would have thought we wanted to keep Prust - Boyle - Fedetenko together, but there's no way Rupp can be on our third line. I'm a little unsure now how the lineup is going to shakeout.

MZA - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Fedetenko/Boyle
Prust - Rupp - Boyle/Fedetenko

If we get Richards, Christensen probably doesn't dress too many games. I think we will trade for a top-six winger. Where does Avery fit though? The bottom six is packed. Where does MZA fit? Do we manage to move Wolski and put MZA there? No room for any rookies (Thomas/Hagelin) to make the team.

I think we might see one of Anisimov/Stepan (maybe even Dubinsky) packaged with other pieces that don't fit the immediate roster (MDZ? MZA? Prospects) to bring in the scoring winger we're talking about, especially if we land Richards. I'm not sure I like that.


Last edited by SERE 24: 07-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
  #200
asparkoflife
Registered User
 
asparkoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Patterson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
MZA on the first line?

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.