HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Steve Sullivan (1 year, $1.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 03:40 PM
High Flying Birds

vCash: 500
People seriously want Leino at 3.5 or 4.0? That's ridiculous. Before this past season, he was a nobody. Thank God, Shero is running this team.

Even if Sullivan doesn't work out, it's only $1.5. If it does, we got a bargain. A big one. Tangradi can't be too happy though. Looks like it's back to WBS for next season.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:40 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
He scored 51 points in 09-10 on an offensively inept Nashville team. His production slipped slightly last year as he dealt with injuries, but posts like this one are ridiculous. Have you been paying any attention to what's gone on today? $1.5m for a guy that can put up 50 + points when healthy is a very good deal, especially when guys like Max Talbot are getting nearly $2m over 5 years.
Uh... I'm not ridiculous at all.

1. Why spend the money for a questionable player coming off injuries?
2. Uh... obviously you didn't read where I SAID. WHY SPEND? You could infer that I meant, why spend enormous money on Free Agents ...
3. I wouldn't have spent on Max Talbot either...

I would rather they give Tangradi a chance but "he's not an established veteran that is 37 and on his last legs"

Llama "We'll see if he lasts in our division when the hitting starts"

Old
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Shero love him some midgets and grinders... And past their prime top 6 wingers. Madden agrees with me too.
Two midgets in our top 6 - just what we need

Congrats on that.

I'm not sure what you want Shero to do or who you want him to go after. Scotty Upshall just got 3.5M a year. You'll suggest to trade Staal, but then there goes the size that we're short on.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:43 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
People seriously want Leino at 3.5 or 4.0? That's ridiculous. Before this past season, he was a nobody. Thank God, Shero is running this team.

Even if Sullivan doesn't work out, it's only $1.5. If it does, we got a bargain. A big one. Tangradi can't be too happy though. Looks like it's back to WBS for next season.
Yeah, Leino is a nice player but that's too much and oh yeah, huge FYI: we don't have the money anyways.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Bishop7979

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
And when has Dupes put up 20 goals recently? I like Steve's chances with Sid a million times more.
Sullivan will be ground into power twenty games into the season playing on sids line matched up against guys like Chara and Pronger night in and night out. Duper has at least proved to be durable and productive being the third wheel on with Sid and Kunitz.

Besides, Sid has had his best production playing with Kunitz and Dupers, why would you alter that? At best Sullivan will play with Malkin and Neal and hope that second pairing defence and playing with two big bodied forwards will help shelter his smurfyness or if one of the young guys is placed on the second line I could see him being the left wing with Staal and TK moving Cooke with Adams and Asham to make a evil grind these *****es down line.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:44 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post

Eh Tangradi will be in the lineup as soon as the injuries inevitably happen (especially with Sullivan on the roster). Plus if Sullivan doesn't work out, he can be waived easily since his cap hit is only $1.5M.

Before they signed Sullivan I said I'd be fine if they didn't end up getting anybody and just giving the kids a chance to earn a spot. This signing doesn't really affect how I view this team. They are a legit cup contender just as much now as they were a half hour ago.

Old
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Shero love him some midgets and grinders... And past their prime top 6 wingers. Madden agrees with me too.
Two midgets in our top 6 - just what we need
You are trying to convince us of your point, right?

Old
mpp9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9DS1_x6IE

Old
07-01-2011, 03:45 PM

With the signing of Sullivan I think its safe to say Dupuis will be in the bottom 6.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Bishop7979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post

Congrats on that.

I'm not sure what you want Shero to do or who you want him to go after. Scotty Upshall just got 3.5M a year. You'll suggest to trade Staal, but then there goes the size that we're short on.
Yeah but if you were going old guy bandaid for the year I'd rather have taken Brunnette for an extra 500k more than sullivan.

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

If he can stay healthy he is going to put up 30 or more points than Talbot for less than what Talbots making. He is still a talented top six winger.

Old
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
And when has Dupes put up 20 goals recently? I like Steve's chances with Sid a million times more.
Bad thing Dupuis is probably still gonna play with Sid and Sully will end up on Geno's line

The way I see it:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Sullivan
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Asham - Letestu - Adams

Shero is done and keeps the cap space for a big splash at the deadline OR gets rid of Niskanen and signs a real #5.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Uh... I'm not ridiculous at all.

1. Why spend the money for a questionable player coming off injuries?
2. Uh... obviously you didn't read where I SAID. WHY SPEND? You could infer that I meant, why spend enormous money on Free Agents ...
3. I wouldn't have spent on Max Talbot either...

I would rather they give Tangradi a chance but "he's not an established veteran that is 37 and on his last legs"

Llama "We'll see if he lasts in our division when the hitting starts"
1. Because he's cheap and has the potential to significantly outperform his contract. We also have more than enough cap space to make a move at the deadline if necessary.

2. $1.5m is not 'enormous money' by any stretch.

3. You brought up that no other team would have given him more than we did when it's pretty clear that teams are significantly overpaying players left and right. Even if we did overpay, which we didn't, it's a one year contract, and again, we have plenty of cap space to rectify the situation moving forward if it doesn't work out. Where is the risk exactly?

Old
AgentM

Surprised the Dupuis haters haven't noted that his salary plus Sullivan's is just $300K shy of us having Jagr right now...

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
With the signing of Sullivan I think its safe to say Dupuis will be in the bottom 6.
Until he gets hurt yes. Sullivan and Kennedy will round out to the top two RWer. I'm just worred about SS playing RW after playing LW for so long but that at least gives us two right handed shots.

Old
SirBrad

Dude averaged 53 games/season over his last 6 years with Nashville. This deal screams Mike Comrie.

Hopefully the silver lining will be Jeffrey or Tangradi stepping up while Sillivan is busy missing 29 games next season.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:49 PM
sawtooth420

I hate this.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

PP:

Sullivan - Crosby - Neal
Letang/Michalek - Malkin

I love this signing.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings

Old
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
cassius

I'm just sick of using short term bandaids to fix our ongoing winger issues. This is a textbook bandaid solution.

Sullivan is getting older and coming off some SERIOUS injuries. There are no guarantees he will play anywhere close to 82 games.

Comrie pt2

Old
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Look at some of the goals he scored this year, he is still a fast and handsy player. If he was Russain this board would be in love.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...60719&fr=false

Old
07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
Sullivan will be ground into power twenty games into the season playing on sids line matched up against guys like Chara and Pronger night in and night out. Duper has at least proved to be durable and productive being the third wheel on with Sid and Kunitz.

Besides, Sid has had his best production playing with Kunitz and Dupers, why would you alter that? At best Sullivan will play with Malkin and Neal and hope that second pairing defence and playing with two big bodied forwards will help shelter his smurfyness or if one of the young guys is placed on the second line I could see him being the left wing with Staal and TK moving Cooke with Adams and Asham to make a evil grind these *****es down line.
I guess we'll see in three months.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:53 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
Nothing is safe with DB and his love for Dupuis in a top 6 role

Old
07-01-2011, 03:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
I'm just sick of using short term bandaids to fix our ongoing winger issues. This is a textbook bandaid solution.

Sullivan is getting older and coming off some SERIOUS injuries. There are no guarantees he will play anywhere close to 82 games.

Comrie pt2
And Jagr was a long term fix. I would be surprised if they miss the same amount of games this year.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Surprised the Dupuis haters haven't noted that his salary plus Sullivan's is just $300K shy of us having Jagr right now...

Closed Thread