HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins sign Steve Sullivan (1 year, $1.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 02:54 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I'm just sick of using short term bandaids to fix our ongoing winger issues. This is a textbook bandaid solution.

Sullivan is getting older and coming off some SERIOUS injuries. There are no guarantees he will play anywhere close to 82 games.

Comrie pt2
Did you forget about James Neal? Oh wait he sucks.

Old
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
I'm just sick of using short term bandaids to fix our ongoing winger issues. This is a textbook bandaid solution.

Sullivan is getting older and coming off some SERIOUS injuries. There are no guarantees he will play anywhere close to 82 games.

Comrie pt2
We've gone out and gotten Neal and Kunitz - both long-term winger options. Also, Tangradi possibly. We need to start developing guys for the wing from within, no doubt, though.

It's the only way we can get good young talent cheaply.

Old
07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
We've gone out and gotten Neal and Kunitz - both long-term winger options. Also, Tangradi possibly. We need to start developing guys for the wing from within, no doubt, though.

It's the only way we can get good young talent cheaply.
And TK!

Old
07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Comrie pt2
There weren't many long term solutions available. It would be a bad deal if it was 2 or 3 years. For 1 year, why not?

Old
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Must watch!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEEk01OCFY

Old
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
And Jagr was a long term fix. I would be surprised if they miss the same amount of games this year.
No, but Jagr is a WAY better player than sullivan. Not even close.

Shero's philosophy towards wingers just does not make sense to me. Trade Depres for a long term solution... It's pathetic how we sign Satan, Comrie, and now a very washed up Sullivan who is one bodycheck away from retirement.

That's not how I would address our biggest weakness, but thats just me.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
When you see that Rupp is on the same amount to him, you have to hand it to Shero for such good dealing.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffyiffiffer View Post
wtf?! nice!

Old
07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:

Comrie pt2
who would you have signed if you were Shero?

Old
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
When you see that Rupp is on the same amount to him, you have to hand it to Shero for such good dealing.
Agreed. There have been some albatross contracts handed out this summer.

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'm not gonna jump up and down. I think/feel he'll end up being a waste of a roster spot.

Old
WarriorScholar

Quote:

Shero's philosophy towards wingers just does not make sense to me. Trade Depres for a long term solution... It's pathetic how we sign Satan, Comrie, and now a very washed up Sullivan who is one bodycheck away from retirement.

Cassius, I think you would be better suited as a Rangers or Flyers fan, that way you can feel like a winner every free agency period.

Guy has no clue how this team works.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

Jagr was way better than Sullivan. At this point in their careers they are both probably 60 point players. Shero>you and Madden

Old
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
So, he's 37, he's 5'8, 160lb (according to Yahoo), coming off a serious injury, and was not wanted by a team with one of the worst forward crops in the league. Can't say I am very excited about this signing.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:04 PM
mpp9

Quote:

He won't tie up his entire cap space in a 39 yr old Jagr my friend, he's not doing it. Sullivan allows us to keep over a mil which will be closer to 4 at the trade deadline not including any roster player we trade. He likes to sign short term solutions until the right solution comes along. He's been a damn good GM. I also trust that he knows steve well coming from Nashville himself.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
RoninsRevenge

I like the Sullivan signing. These are the kind of deals we'll have to keep signing with our team in it's current structure. Unless we have a shot at signing a true blue chip winger long term for a bargain price, we have to stick with marginal talents. Personally I don't mind this formula. So glad we avoid signing inflated free agents like Cole or Leino. They don't deserve what they end up getting and while it's not as fun for us during free agency, we prosper in the long run with Shero sticking to his guns.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
So, he's 37, he's 5'8, 160lb (according to Yahoo), coming off a serious injury, and was not wanted by a team with one of the worst forward crops in the league. Can't say I am very excited about this signing.
Nashville were having a changing of the guard upfront so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

I'd feel better about adding Sullivan if 1) he could stay healthy, and 2) Nashville, a team that couldn't score, had no interest in keeping this guy. Seems the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Uh... I'm not ridiculous at all.

1. Why spend the money for a questionable player coming off injuries?
2. Uh... obviously you didn't read where I SAID. WHY SPEND? You could infer that I meant, why spend enormous money on Free Agents ...
3. I wouldn't have spent on Max Talbot either...

I would rather they give Tangradi a chance but "he's not an established veteran that is 37 and on his last legs"

Llama "We'll see if he lasts in our division when the hitting starts"
First off, stop with the weird llama ****. Secondly, do you even know how much cap space we have left? Even with Tangradi as a 13th forward, 7 d, and 2 goalies we have over 2 mil.

If Shero doesn't sign anyone else, at the deadline that cap space gives us the ability to trade for almost anyone. We don't need 4 mil in cap space going into the season. Sullivan is a risk, but the guy still has skills and this could be a very good move. Time will tell. But to suggest we should save all this cap space for the deadline instead of signing effective players now to good contracts is ludicrous.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Jagr was way better than Sullivan. At this point in their careers they are both probably 60 point players. Shero>you and Madden
If you think Sullivan is going to play anywhere close to 82 games, you are definitely in for a rude awakening.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Again, short term solution that is low risk high reward. If he doesn't work out then we still have cap space to make a move at trade deadline. Pro-rated it'll probably be close to 4.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:12 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
If you think Sullivan is going to play anywhere close to 82 games, you are definitely in for a rude awakening.
And you think your God Jaromir "I think I have two left feet" Jagr is going to play a full season. If your against injury prone older players you would have to be against Jagr as well.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Yeah, he hasn't played 82 games since all the way back in 09-10 when gas was five cents a gallon.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Cassius, I generally agree with you most of time...that being said...who would you have signed today?

Old
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Dude averaged 53 games/season over his last 6 years with Nashville. This deal screams Mike Comrie.

Hopefully the silver lining will be Jeffrey or Tangradi stepping up while Sillivan is busy missing 29 games next season.
Quit being so dramatic. in those 317 games, he put up 100 goals and 263 points. He's no Mike Comrie.

Closed Thread