HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Steve Sullivan (1 year, $1.5M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
PensFan68

vCash: 500
I have no problem with this signing. Not that I'm extremely excited, but for the money you can't beat it. If he can stay healthy (which he probably won't) he could be a nice addition. Hopes aren't high for him, but I do think he will do decent on one of our top 2 lines.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
If you think Sullivan is going to play anywhere close to 82 games, you are definitely in for a rude awakening.
he played 82 games 2 years ago.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Again, short term solution that is low risk high reward. If he doesn't work out then we still have cap space to make a move at trade deadline. Pro-rated it'll probably be close to 4.
Again, a dumb idea that continues to get repeated around here. If we want to have quality wingers that are better than Dupuis/Sullivan on cap friendly contracts, we cannot keep trading away assets at the deadline to add players that we should be adding for nothing in the off-season.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

HO LY **** ****!!!! Buffalo just ... HOLY ****!!! Leino/4.5/year!!

EDIT: Sorry a bit wrong thread.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 07-01-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old
07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Nashville were having a changing of the guard upfront so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Changing of the guard may imply that they had quality players to replace him. They already lost Ward, are short on prospects, and may lose 3 or 4 other players due to QO grievance.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Again, short term solution that is low risk high reward. If he doesn't work out then we still have cap space to make a move at trade deadline. Pro-rated it'll probably be close to 4.
There is definitely a medium risk medium reward with this signing. SS is more susceptible to injury than most NHLers. He is also not physically capable of playing lots of minutes, not that this is a major concern with this roster.

Only positive I can see from this signing, besides the obvious of him putting up points, is that it allows Jeffrey or Tangradi to step into a top 6 role if they prove worthy. They would not be able to do this with, say, Jagr on the roster.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Again, a dumb idea that continues to get repeated around here. If we want to have quality wingers that are better than Dupuis/Sullivan on cap friendly contracts, we cannot keep trading away assets at the deadline to add players that we should be adding for nothing in the off-season.
Like who? Luca Caputi?

Old
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Dinfire

With all due respect, I've been behind Shero on all the other decisions, but not this one.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Yep. So you think it's smarter to overpay in this FA like 4.5 for cole or leino? If this summer's FA was better then you have a point, but you're not factoring in the present circumstances. It's absolutely the best avenue to go for a short term solution, leave cap space and see what's what later in the season and next summer's FA.

Paying Sullivan 1.5 is not going to impact our ability to make a move at the deadline so why not take a chance. Shero had no other option today.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
There is definitely a medium risk medium reward with this signing. SS is more susceptible to injury than most NHLers. He is also not physically capable of playing lots of minutes, not that this is a major concern with this roster.

Only positive I can see from this signing, besides the obvious of him putting up points, is that it allows Jeffrey or Tangradi to step into a top 6 role if they prove worthy. They would not be able to do this with, say, Jagr on the roster.
Ya, this reads "Break Glass" when the PP starts.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
So, he's 37, he's 5'8, 160lb (according to Yahoo), coming off a serious injury, and was not wanted by a team with one of the worst forward crops in the league. Can't say I am very excited about this signing.
It's really not meant for you to get "excited" about. It's clearly a 1 season, low risk/low cost, "band aid" solution to our issue on the wings.

People are frowning about this signing as though we signed Sullivan to a 4 year, 20 million dollar deal or something. Would we have been happy overpaying someone else with a multi-year deal like the Habs did with Cole?

The present/future success of this team doesn't lie in rentals like Sullivan, but rather the production of our CORE players like Sid, Geno, Staal, MAF, Letang, etc. Sullivan is a complimentary player that's meant to give us that extra boost for this one season and that's it, so we shouldn't start makign mountains out of mole hills

Old
07-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Well, I suppose I'd rather have Sully than Rupp

Old
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
mpp9

Quote:

NOt sure how it's a "medium" risk. He'll miss games, maybe he only plays 50. But he's capable of finishing and finding sid/geno on the ice. 1.5 for a potential 20 goal scorer and a legit threat from the wing, which even with neal, kunitz and tk is still badly needed, is a good risk to take every time.

Old
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Life View Post
Cassius, I generally agree with you most of time...that being said...who would you have signed today?
Tough to say - I would have definitely looked at Anti Mietien (sp)

Ideally I would have dealt a defenseman or a center for a winger. Would be interested in trading Letestu, Staal, Depres, or Martin.

Old
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
I think today has proven first hand that even the players that we think we should be able to get "for nothing" still end up demanding rather high salaries.

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
You are not adding anybody for nothing in the off season. You are adding huge over payments and being locked into long term cap hits. Shero came up with a player that is going to be better than Dupuis in the top 6 whom allows us to still have cap room and not be crippled for the next six years with some contract a player wasn't worth.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:27 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Yeah, Rupp/Talbot leaving is tough to swallow. If Asham can stay healthy I guess it makes it easier.

This signing is pretty meh, imo.
Not for me, Talbot would be lucky to make it from being a scratch on this team. Letestu and Jeffrey have passed him up for center options. I honestly did not care about Rupp either and I believe Asham is just as good an option for a 4th line wing spot. Asham was hurt most of last year but he played well in the playoffs and I loved his play when he was with the Flyers. We only had so much room on the roster for bottom 6 forwards as of now we have something like this.

Cooke-Staal-Dupuis
Adams-Letestu-Asham
Jeffrey and Tangradi fighting to get playing time.

So with guys like Jeffrey and Tangradi most likely having a hard time getting playing time in the top 12 do you really think Rupp and Talbot are even slightly needed on this team. To me I don't see them as better than any of these guys. I would put them as equal to Adams and Asham and really don't know who would have been the healthy scratches for 4th line duty between Adams, Asham, Letestu, Jeffrey, Rupp, and Talbot even if we signed them all.

As for the Sullivan signing I like the gamble. Sullivan has speed and when healthy has put up 50+ points on a defensive team just a year removed. If Steve stays healthy which is a big if he will be a 20+goal and 50+ point player. Like I said if he can Steve is only a year removed from a 51 point season which was tied for his team lead. That was not playing with Crosby which is where I would put him. I think he would blend well with Crosby and Kunitz. Of course Sullivan's injury history is a concern but that is why we got him so cheap. What would a 50+ point scoring winger go for if he was not a health risk? Double this signing at the very least. Plays with speed and has a right handed shot and it this length and money how could you not like the signing? Would you really want a Rupp or Talbot at that price instead? I actually like Sullivan's one year upside than Kennedy's or Dupuis. If healthy he has more points than both those guys and that is a fact. I love the gamble.

Old
Fuzzy Bunny

If he is past some of his injury troubles it is an excellent signing. You have to think Shero reached out to Nashville to gauge the health of Sullivan to some extent. 1.5 million is not a lot to take on a risk when you consider they gave much more to try Satan.

Given the crop out there, it would have been great to get Sullivan for even less but this is something I will keep an open mind about obviously. If there is at least one thing that we can be happy with is that he has always been known as a quality person on and off the ice.

Welcome to Pittsburgh!

Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

Ideally I would have dealt a defenseman or a center for a winger. Would be interested in trading Letestu, Staal, Depres, or Martin.
Oh yeah that would have made us a much better team and what do you think you are going to get for Letestu?

Old
07-01-2011, 03:29 PM
AquaticBirdman

What I really like about this signing is that it puts less pressure on DB to have to rush Tangradi into the lineup. Personally I think Tangradi can benefit from at least another half season in the minors, and having Sullivan in the lineup filling in the top 6 wing role will give us that opportunity to do that.

Old
DJ Spinoza

This deal will end up being a steal so long as Sullivan avoids a season-ending injury. He's going to spend games in the press box because he's hurt--that's almost a given. But if he can be healthy for the playoffs, he's still a very talented player.

It's not a great move, but I don't see it as very risky. The other options out there are either mediocre or out of reasonable price range, or both. Jagr is probably a better one-year option, but he's more of a wild card and apparently wanted both a good bit of money but also a chance to win (apparently some team offered him upwards of 6 mil). Really bizarre, but kind of glad we opted out.

Old
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Miettinen is one of the most frustrating players in the league and his hands are atrocious. His numbers are only as high as they are because Minnesota was giving him absurd amounts of ice time.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Yeah, he hasn't played 82 games since all the way back in 09-10 when gas was five cents a gallon.
Yeah, but that was prior to a MAJOR career threatening injury that hampered Sullivan lay year. He is on his last legs....

You are out of your mind if you are penciling him in for an 82 game season.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:30 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Miettinen is one of the most frustrating players in the league and his hands are atrocious. His numbers are only as high as they are because Minnesota was giving him absurd amounts of ice time.
Miettinen is basically Dupuis part deux but not as good defensively.

Old
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Pens1566

Quote:

In other words, a unicorn. The same mystical, never-seen creature we'd get back in a deal for Staal.

Closed Thread