HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Marco Sturm to 1 year, $2.25M deal

Old
07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Spamhuis

vCash: 500
If it doesn't work you waive him. He's temping for mason. I'm not sure what the big deal is considering the other contracts being handed out?

Leino aka mason raymond 2.0 got 4.5 mill and term

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

So many ******** deals signed today. I'm now happy with Gillis taking a step back and signing a depth guy in account of Raymond's injury.

Just not happy with Torres walking.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Tiranis

Sounds like this truly is just a depth signing. I'm guessing Gillis is hoping that the Rangers get Richards and he can swing a trade for Dubinsky or Anisimov (or even Callahan).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
So... just what do we have in Marco Sturm?
20 goal, 45 point winger that used to have wheels until he started getting lots of knee injuries.

But he has put up 20 goals every year for 7 of the last 10 years.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
sturm replace Raymond?

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Once Raymond is back, we could see something like this as our forward lines:

1: Burrows-Sedin-Sedin
2: Sturm-Kesler-Raymond
3: Higgins-Manny-Hansen
4: Volpatti-Lappy-Sammy
Hodgson

Sturm, Ramond, Higgins, and Sammy could all take turns on the second line depending on injuries and who's hot.
And that would make for a "nice" entertaining, high scoring regular season but once the war starts, I wouldn't put any money on that lineup.

Tim McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Bleach Clean

If Sturm gets close to 20 goals at all, this will be a huge steal. However, his knees have taken some significant damage. I understand why Gillis took the risk: Could pay huge dividends. I also understand why Brunette passed/was passed over: Might think Chicago is a better team/might have more opportunity to play there/Gillis didn't like the foot speed. But as of right now, without seeing the big picture, the deal just looks bad.

One interesting thing Connecticut points out is that Gillis is targeting versatility. Any player that is versatile should be key here.

- I'm glad he passed on Leino for that contract

- I'm glad he also passed Flieshmann for that term+figure.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

we lose ehrhoff and sign sturm.

Why is it that every year for the past I dont even know how many, the Canucks only acquire declining semi has-been forwards or former 1st rounders who never panned out, expecting them to play beyond what they can do?

Sign or trade for a good player, its what this team needs so badly.

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
AlvintheChoster

Assuming we trade for that top 6 winger, who will we package for a trade?

-Teams won't trade for Raymond, after he just got a back injury.
-We just signed Higgins and Sturm, so those two won't be moved.
-Gillis said Ballard won't be traded (though anything can happen).
-Gillis said he would like to keep Schnieder (though again, anything can happen).
-The 2012 draft is supposed to be really deep (like 2003), so I would be a bit reluctant to trade draft picks.

So who would be traded? A package involving..... Samuelsson? Hodgson? Draft picks?

AlvintheChoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Lindt

If this signing is for 3rd/4th line depth, and not a winger for Kesler, then I'd much rather have Torres at a lower cap hit. Torres was an absolutely huge part of our playoff run in setting the tone of games. As was Hansen - speaking of which, I am getting concerned that he hasn't been signed yet. I can see a team trying to reach the cap floor overpaying for him on an offer sheet and in my opinion the Canucks can't afford to lose such a tenacious hardworking player.

Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
shaolinson
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnychiba View Post

Why is it that every year for the past I dont even know how many, the Canucks only acquire declining semi has-been forwards or former 1st rounders who never panned out, expecting them to play beyond what they can do?

this better just be a depth signing. MG show us the possibilities

shaolinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Tiranis

2012 is not deep, its stacked in Top 10 or 15 and then crap, at least for the moment. Could change.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
VanEric

We'll see if Sturm has anything left. If not, they can waive him or dump him pretty easily.

There's no way Gillis should have given out some of the contracts guys like Leino and Fleischmann got. He's better off trying to make a deal once the dust settles or during the first half of the season.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:

declining first rounders that never panned out

samuelsson
malhotra
hamhuis

your opinions are bad. please do not post them in the future

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

Moneyball.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvintheChoster View Post
So who would be traded? A package involving..... Samuelsson? Hodgson? Draft picks?
If push came to shove, MG can trade Sammy, Schneider, Schroeder and picks.

If its an elite player like Parise (for example), then Burrows and or Hodgson can be added to the package.

Although now with Sturm and Ballard taking a huge chunk of the pie, acquiring a elite player via trade is less likely to happen imo, as we'd have to clear space, and MG's stubborn self isn't going to trade bench boy Ballard, till KB improves his value first.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
SaxMan

Wow you guys are ridiculous. Guys that are equal to Raymond and Samuelsson are getting 4mill+ term contracts. The UFA field sucks. Gillis needed to sign someone as insurance for Raymond being out a month. This doesn't even take any cap space because Raymond is on the LTIR and if he sucks we waive him. When Raymond comes up we probably will have someone else injured!

Remember we can go 10% past the cap.

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

This is not the answer for our needs... while not much out in the UFA that is our answer but I'd rather put that money toward keeping Torres here and for that I think this is already a bad deal for us.
We are so damn soft and we lost one of our better gritty players in Torres already. Gillis has to be working on some kinda trade to bring in the help. Gillis is making no sense with this signing Sturm isn't needed here...faaccckk.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Wow you guys are ridiculous. Guys that are equal to Raymond and Samuelsson are getting 4mill+ term contracts. The UFA field sucks. Gillis needed to sign someone as insurance for Raymond being out a month. This doesn't even take any cap space because Raymond is on the LTIR and if he sucks we waive him. When Raymond comes up we probably will have someone else injured!

Remember we can go 10% past the cap.
tomas fleischmann, last years comparable RFA to mason raymond (got the same amount of money, but only one year) got paid 4.5m this year for a performance under what he gave the year before

and people are upset about sturm. *******

Old
07-01-2011, 04:34 PM
VanEric

I think people just want more perceived toughness to feel better about themselves as fans or something. This super soft team got the finals this year and if they had more scoring not grit, they may have won the whole thing.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I think people just want more perceived toughness to feel better about themselves as fans or something. This super soft team got the finals this year and if they had more scoring not grit, they may have won the whole thing.
no man. SIZE. GRIT

GRITTY GRIT GRIT *knows nothing about hockey* *posts all day*

Old
07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Peter Bazooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
no man. SIZE. GRIT

GRITTY GRIT GRIT *knows nothing about hockey* *posts all day*
What about CLUTCH INTENSITY AND ~TRUCULENCE~

Peter Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Its not about feeling better about themselves, its about wanting a great to win the cup, and besides the lack of scoring/shoddy off and on goaltending, health was our biggest achilles heel, and with Sturm's knees being shot, that's not something one looks forward to in the upcoming season, like every time he has a awkward fall or gets hit, it'll be same feeling every time when Salo goes limping over to the bench, like here we go again.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
thefeebster

Do not really like this signing at all. Would have been happy with just resigning Higgins and Salo. Sure everyone says this is a depth signing, but once Raymond comes back, where is this guy going? To the 4th line? 13th forward? Waived?

Too many question marks to be a 2nd line player, 3rd line looks set with Higgins, Manny, and Hansen (Who should have been signed first), and too expensive to pander on the 4th line or as the 13th forward. I just don't see the logic of this.

If we wanted a depth forward, I'd rather take Torres back at what he got or saved some money and waited free agency out for a good deal a la Torres of last season. Hell, Tambo said he would take league min to be our 13th forward. I'd have no problems with that to work with him a bit longer.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Yeah, it was our gritty guys who provided the scoring, not our soft skilled players.