HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Sign Jim Vandermeer 1YR/1M

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
  #76
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Nice signing. I know we are all in favor of Vlasic-Burns, Murray-Boyle, Vandy-Demers, but it also could be shifted pretty easily to have Murray-Burns against RPG, or equivalent, as Boyle would likely be fine with vandy.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:21 PM
  #77
Lareves
Year of the Shark
 
Lareves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno - Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
I like this signing! Now we have money to offer wellwood!

Lareves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
  #78
WedgeAntilles*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Burns
Vandermeer-Demers

So we went leftie-rightie; defense-offense.
I'll be the first to say it.

That's finally a Cup worthy defense.






Flame on...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
  #79
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 24,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
I'll be the first to say it.

That's finally a Cup worthy defense.






Flame on...
jinx.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:31 PM
  #80
WedgeAntilles*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Nice signing. I know we are all in favor of Vlasic-Burns, Murray-Boyle, Vandy-Demers, but it also could be shifted pretty easily to have Murray-Burns against RPG, or equivalent, as Boyle would likely be fine with vandy.
I dunno, I'm not sure Vandy has the defensive chops to be with Boyle. The one thing Boyle's partner has to be is nearly perfectly defensively responsible, because Byle wanders so much and takes so many chances.

Vandy has lapses...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:35 PM
  #81
5H4RK5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I like the price range and the player skills we got for the price. Another piece to our puzzle welcome Jim. Great job DW, look for those unknown commodities that play quality minutes. I suggest forwards as our next target.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
  #82
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 18,640
vCash: 500
Great signing in terms of team needs (Lefty on the point, grit, toughness). What makes it even better is the price tag. Good job Doug.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  #83
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
I dunno, I'm not sure Vandy has the defensive chops to be with Boyle. The one thing Boyle's partner has to be is nearly perfectly defensively responsible, because Byle wanders so much and takes so many chances.

Vandy has lapses...
Didn't we used to say the same thing about murray? We don't know until they actually get out and practice with each other because it's as much about chemistry between partners as anything.

You've watched vandy enough to know that he has "lapses"?...I find that hard to believe, who watches the oilers?

Anyway, I'm fine with vandermeer as a 3rd pair veteran partner for demers, but I'm also ok with murray getting less time occasionally. Sometimes it seems like he's overworked and you can see him start to miss assignments, chasing the puck with his eyes instead of the man for example. I wouldn't mind vandy giving murray a break every once in awhile.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  #84
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!
 
Sharkway Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Apprehensive at first, but then thought about it and its a great signing for the bottom pairing. Our D looks really solid, and Vandy will bring in the toughness and grit we lost with eager and mayers.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
  #85
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
Apprehensive at first, but then thought about it and its a great signing for the bottom pairing. Our D looks really solid, and Vandy will bring in the toughness and grit we lost with eager and mayers.
and hopefully without the stupidity/undisciplined penalties lol.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
  #86
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,702
vCash: 500
Absolutely everyone loves this signing.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
  #87
SJSharks2010
Registered User
 
SJSharks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lareves View Post
I like this signing! Now we have money to offer wellwood!
Yeah let's resign our 5'7 160 pound "checking line centre"!

**** that.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
  #88
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Yeah let's resign our 5'7 160 pound "checking line centre"!

**** that.
Seems like most people on here aren't even calling that line a checking line any more, "lets have 3 scoring lines!" lol...

I agree though, we got steamrolled by vancouver's 3rd line which was a nice combination of checking and the occasional scoring.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
  #89
couturefan39
Registered User
 
couturefan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Should of signed Ward. Smh.

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:11 PM
  #90
dwood16
Registered User
 
dwood16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
Didn't we used to say the same thing about murray? We don't know until they actually get out and practice with each other because it's as much about chemistry between partners as anything.

You've watched vandy enough to know that he has "lapses"?...I find that hard to believe, who watches the oilers?

Anyway, I'm fine with vandermeer as a 3rd pair veteran partner for demers, but I'm also ok with murray getting less time occasionally. Sometimes it seems like he's overworked and you can see him start to miss assignments, chasing the puck with his eyes instead of the man for example. I wouldn't mind vandy giving murray a break every once in awhile.
Yeah exactly. Murray is one of all time favorite players (not in a crazy way like Sam) but I wouldn't say Vandermeer get's out of position as much as him even. Vandy is solid ..and I have seen him play a bit.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:11 PM
  #91
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,840
vCash: 500
That'll do, Doug ... that'll do.


Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
  #92
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,399
vCash: 500
Well i like this deal. He's an upgrade to Huskins in the bottom pairing with the added physical play - good deal and price.

Not sure what this means for Braun, thought he was going to get a chance to play at the NHL level this season, i can't see having him as the #7 guy when he should be playing someplace. We have 7 NHL level D that should play...

I have to wonder if DW is planning moving out a current D in favor of a forward or prospect.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
  #93
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Well i like this deal. He's an upgrade to Huskins in the bottom pairing with the added physical play - good deal and price.

Not sure what this means for Braun, thought he was going to get a chance to play at the NHL level this season, i can't see having him as the #7 guy when he should be playing someplace. We have 7 NHL level D that should play...

I have to wonder if DW is planning moving out a current D in favor of a forward or prospect.
I don't think Wilson will be moving any of the d-men, Vandermeer is not an 82 games a year guy. He has never played a full season and the last time he made it over 70 was in 07/08.

Braun is going to have an opportunity to earn the spot, either out of camp or through injury. And if he's not good enough to earn the spot, they'll send him back to the AHL. I really think the Sharks are pretty high on him.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  #94
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,776
vCash: 1150
Very, very good addition. Absolutely no qualms with this at all. In fact.... for a bottom pairing d-man... this may be the best move Wilson ever made.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
  #95
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 33,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Well i like this deal. He's an upgrade to Huskins in the bottom pairing with the added physical play - good deal and price.

Not sure what this means for Braun, thought he was going to get a chance to play at the NHL level this season, i can't see having him as the #7 guy when he should be playing someplace. We have 7 NHL level D that should play...

I have to wonder if DW is planning moving out a current D in favor of a forward or prospect.
Any D with a boo boo is sitting out. Braun will play plenty if that's the plan. This D is great as it sits now IMO.

__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
  #96
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
That'll do, Doug ... that'll do.


magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
  #97
Chaotic8
Boarding Major
 
Chaotic8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Hope DW knows what he's getting himself into with JV;

Quote:
2011/01/23 Missed 7 games (ankle injury).
2011/01/11 Ankle injury, injured reserve.
2011/01/07 Ankle injury, day-to-day.
2011/01/04 Missed 8 games (ankle injury).
2010/12/16 Ankle injury, injured reserve.
2010/12/14 Ankle injury, sidelined indefinitely.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
  #98
SactoShork
The Youth Movement
 
SactoShork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,776
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Hope DW knows what he's getting himself into with JV;
A shot blocker on a team that gets shelled like the Oil, is gonna take some ankle injuries.

Just look at the abuse Murray took this past season.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
  #99
Inub0i
For the Alliance!
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Deleted

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
  #100
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic8 View Post
Hope DW knows what he's getting himself into with JV;
What? One month of ankle injury?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.