HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Next Season's Roster (All Trade, UFA Signing and Re-Signing Discussion) Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2011, 05:23 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think Cog's is still our best target. DW may be waiting for arbitration to complete for guys like Korpikoski just in case though. I doubt anyone of interest is walked away from with the amount of cap space available.
The arbitration case that i'm interested in is Stalberg. I think he would fit in great on our third line.

Old
07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
The arbitration case that i'm interested in is Stalberg. I think he would fit in great on our third line.
Stalberg is not good defensively and does not kill penalties. Hell he can barely put up points.

Korpikoski plays big SH minutes (led Phoenix), put up 40 points last year, is as fast as it gets, and was on the team in blocked shots. +17 too.

He'll probably get between $2-2.5m and I'd be all over that. The guy is exactly what we need in every respect.

Korpikoski - Handzus - Mitchell would be one of the best 3rd line in the league. Shut down line that could put up 100p.

I'd be willing to send something like Wrenn + 2nd or something for him if we had to trade. He's a guy we can afford long term.

Old
07-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Stalberg is not good defensively and does not kill penalties. Hell he can barely put up points.

Korpikoski plays big SH minutes (led Phoenix), put up 40 points last year, is as fast as it gets, and was on the team in blocked shots. +17 too.

He'll probably get between $2-2.5m and I'd be all over that. The guy is exactly what we need in every respect.

Korpikoski - Handzus - Mitchell would be one of the best 3rd line in the league. Shut down line that could put up 100p.

I'd be willing to send something like Wrenn + 2nd or something for him if we had to trade. He's a guy we can afford long term.
You're not the only person wanting Korpikoski for their team...should PHX walk away there will be a lot of interest.

Old
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You're not the only person wanting Korpikoski for their team...should PHX walk away there will be a lot of interest.
I agree, I doubt it gets that far to be honest. I'd rather just trade for him now and get him signed.

Old
07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Phoenix is going to need him to make the cap floor as it stands now.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Doan would be nice, but our defence is set. lets remember Petrecki is also expected to get around 15 games with the big club and likely replace vandemeer next year.

I think we should go after Doan. With this reasoning for an indivision trade.

Phoenix isnt going to be in Phoenix next year. Id be very willing to bet that. theyre going to Quebec. No doubt. So anything you trade them this year, is going to the East. This phoenix situation is why the realignment is taking place next year. Its likely Bettman is going to say, we want a stable ownership, either find one, or your gone. No one has stepped up in 3 years no one will next year.

Anyway, Doan has stated that he wants to play ONLY in Phoenix cause its the only city his kids have known. Well next year, whats he going to do? Retire? Doubt it. We use this to our advantage. We're sorta close to Phoenix(not really but, closer then Vancouver) and we'd love to have him. He would get a chance to compete for the cup, and would be a great addition. its likely he wont be in phoenix next year due to them moving, so we say if you waive now, you'll have a good chance to get settled, and we might even be able to resign him for cheap next offseason.

For Phoenix to accept what would it take(im against giving up petrecki and Doherty and our 2012 picks, we do need something in our cupboards)
I highly doubt petrecki gets that good that fast. He'll take the slow road to the nhl and maybe make the big club in training camp 2012, if we're lucky and he has an amazing ahl season.

I would love doan, but the rest of your post is just rumors/speculation, phoenix could move next year or 2 years from now or they could find a decent owner who wants to keep them there. Who knows?

We've done deadline deals in the division before so that's not a deal-breaker, and I think with our plans to resign couture and burns we shouldn't start worrying about signing someone like doan in the offseason too. Doan would not come "cheaply" to play with a cup contender next season, he's a 60-70 pt player on a crap phoenix team, he can be an 80+ pt player easily on our team and would be at the very top of the FA list for every team in the nhl.

I don't see him coming at the deadline to be on our 3rd line, I want him if pavs isn't ideal for the top line next to thornton(I don't think he is). marleau-thornton-doan would be killer, to the point that I would definitely pursue him simply as a rental.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Phoenix is going to need him to make the cap floor as it stands now.
I'm sure they can solve that problem other ways easily.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I'm sure they can solve that problem other ways easily.
Cap floor is $48m? If so, they only need $2.5m more to reach it.

Turris and Boedker should allow them to reach it.

Not saying we have a chance at landing Korpi.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
hockeyball

Have any suggestions Easy?

Cogs and Korpi just seem like reasonable targets on teams that are not going to contend next year and are RFA's still without contracts. Meaning their respective teams might be open to reasonable offers. Cogs should be cheaper of course.

Someone could come out of nowhere, but those guys seem like good fits with at least a realistic chance of being acquired through trade without needing to send a roster player in return.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Have any suggestions Easy?

Cogs and Korpi just seem like reasonable targets on teams that are not going to contend next year and are RFA's still without contracts. Meaning their respective teams might be open to reasonable offers. Cogs should be cheaper of course.

Someone could come out of nowhere, but those guys seem like good fits with at least a realistic chance of being acquired through trade without needing to send a roster player in return.
I am not questioning them being fits. I think both would fit reasonably (not perfectly).

I question whether their teams will release them so easily, especially Korpikoski. You may like to say that the Yotes have no chance. That is what many have said for some time. However, both of their last two years have seen the playoffs. Some may say it is all Bryz, but that team also made Bryz look good with their team strategy. It is a great selling point for prospective owners from the team/league that they can do well with a floor payroll.

Just as an aside with the floor issue, it is now almost mandatory for the Preds to keep Weber to make the floor. They might not even be able to trade him at the deadline because of the floor issue.

Old
07-08-2011, 06:55 PM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
you sign Stamkos to a one year deal (1 year, $7.5-8M) and then next offseason (After winning the cup lol) when he is RFA again, you can deal him or let him go to a big offer sheet and take four firsts, probably from a bottom dweller so they'd be high firsts (or move other assets and keep him, who knows, but the point is, Sharks would control him).
Why in the world would Stamkos only sign a one year deal? Sure, he'll be an RFA again next year, but why risk an injury?

Old
07-08-2011, 07:02 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

No matter how much I speculate, DW always seems to surprise me. I'm usually pleasantly surprised, so I'm hoping that'll be the case for his next move as well. Can the season just start already?

Old
07-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
lets remember Petrecki is also expected to get around 15 games with the big club and likely replace vandemeer next year.
Ummm, who exactly is expecting that?

Old
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Ummm, who exactly is expecting that?
DW made allusions to Petrecki getting a cup a coffee in the show next season. Perfectly reasonable for others to take his word for it. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

First I've heard of that.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:15 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite3 View Post
First I've heard of that.
It was among many links of stuff published locally quoting DW.

Here are some other paraphrases that didn't quite ring true from the past and didn't go according to plan.

Demers is ready to take Ehrhoff's spot and they needed to make room. (This was two years ago and Demers didn't even make it through the whole season and definitely got less minutes.)

Kent Huskins is like Rob Scuderi.

Wallin will provide the defensive side as a replacement for Blake. (Wallin got the weakest matchups, Blake got the #1 matchups)

Old
07-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
DW made allusions to Petrecki getting a cup a coffee in the show next season. Perfectly reasonable for others to take his word for it. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.
I remember it. Perhaps if Vandermeer, Braun, Murray, Moore are all injured, he won't have a choice.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Ya, i said Petrecki would get 15 games because, well DW said he'd likely get a shot.

All that needs to happen is for vandemeers ankle to act up, and i think Petrecki gets put in over Moore, who i dont feel will even make it to opening night still on this team.

1 way contract, outside of the top 7. Id say he'd get traded for a pick or something

Old
07-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Ya, i said Petrecki would get 15 games because, well DW said he'd likely get a shot.

All that needs to happen is for vandemeers ankle to act up, and i think Petrecki gets put in over Moore, who i dont feel will even make it to opening night still on this team.

1 way contract, outside of the top 7. Id say he'd get traded for a pick or something
Petrecki would go ahead of Moore because Petrecki isn't subject to recall waivers and Moore will be...unless SJ doesn't care about half of Moore's salary counting on the books if he's claimed ($256k-ish)

Old
07-08-2011, 07:45 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Petrecki would go ahead of Moore because Petrecki isn't subject to recall waivers and Moore will be...unless SJ doesn't care about half of Moore's salary counting on the books if he's claimed ($256k-ish)
My take is Moore gets a shot at camp to take the #7 role. If he misses, he goes down never to be seen in SJ unless on emergency recall. I have Braun as frontrunner for #7 and he is not yet waiver eligible.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
My take is Moore gets a shot at camp to take the #7 role. If he misses, he goes down never to be seen in SJ unless on emergency recall. I have Braun as frontrunner for #7 and he is not yet waiver eligible.
I have it as moore has one last shot at camp to prove himself as #7. if he fails, the Sharks trade him somewhere, anywhere for something. I doubt they want to spend 550k on a minor leaguer, that will be gone after this year in all likelyhood.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I have it as moore has one last shot at camp to prove himself as #7. if he fails, the Sharks trade him somewhere, anywhere for something. I doubt they want to spend 550k on a minor leaguer, that will be gone after this year in all likelyhood.
You do know they spent more than that on a minor leaguer last season, right? Cam MacIntyre made $575,000 last season (and it's more this year)....and Moore has zero trade value, so if he doesn't make the NHL roster out of camp he's off to the AHL.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I believe emergency recalls are still subject to recall waivers...

Old
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Kitten Mittons

Cam MacIntyre will be an NHL first liner next season, according to superroyan's simulator.

Old
07-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Cam MacIntyre will be an NHL first liner next season, according to superroyan's simulator.
Book it!

Or, maybe not.

EDIT: Lock 'er up!

On to:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=947019

Closed Thread