Old
07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Feaster: "We’re not done"

Calgary GM missed out on Richards but is still hunting down deals

Quote:
“This is where we are right now. We regrouped immediately this morning. The staff was in, and we started looking again at what our options are,” Feaster said Saturday.

“Guys are getting traded. Teams are starting to make phone calls, teams trying to unload salary. Now, for the first time in a long time, we are poised to take advantage when we see an opportunity we like.

“We’re not done. We think there will be opportunities in the trade market. We think there will be opportunities when camps open.”

I just hope Jay Feaster is smart enough to hold on to our 1st round pick for next year's draft.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:05 AM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

I just hope Jay Feaster is smart enough to hold on to our 1st round pick for next year's draft.
He better not trade that pick seeing as how there might be 15 elite defensemen in that draft. Very deep draft for next year.

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

For sure.. Although im interested in seeing what he can pull off

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Should never trade out a first round pick, not unless you are really getting something special in return.

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:21 AM
goodsauce

He has said this multiple times, and still nothing. I just hope he will actually get something done. I am still not like one of those guys that is like FIRE FEASTER. Personally I think he has done everything right.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:22 AM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPassion View Post
Should never trade out a first round pick, not unless you are really getting something special in return.
If you are Darryl you might think that Olli Jokinen is worth that.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux66lemieux View Post
He better not trade that pick seeing as how there might be 15 elite defensemen in that draft. Very deep draft for next year.

That's what I mean, it's supposed to be a deep draft and the Flames could be in a position to draft a very good player, especially if the season goes south.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Flamesfan13

I want us to dump as much salary as possible and be at the minimum.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:34 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I really wish someone in Calgary would have the stones to blow the team up. WTF are they doing? They have ***** the team of any prospects over the past few years and are going to continue with this "win now" philosophy? Edmonton will be **** kicking them on a regular basis in a few years. The team needs to refresh and refocus and REBUILD.
I suspect that if Feaster's "go young" movement doesn't pay off in a few years, then yes, this team will be blown up. As it stands, we don't need to blow it up. We have some key guys locked up for the next few years, and some massive cap space coming to us next summer. Iginla can obviously still produce, Kipper is not the washed-up goalie HF makes him out to be, and if our young guys develop the way we expect them to, we'll be in good shape.

And really, none of us care about how well Edmonton will be doing in a few years. So you can say that, but it doesn't phase us.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padlock View Post
Brilliant comment. Are you talking about the Darryl that coached this team to the finals or the Darryl that took this team from not making the playoffs for 7 straight years to taking them there 5 years in a row?

Some people are moronic. The guy was the best thing that happened to this team in 10-15 years. Yeah, he made a couple bad trades at the end, but this guy did more for the Flames than anyone not named Iginla since we won the cup.
Was tongue-in-cheek, i clearly should have used a smiley.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
I suspect that if Feaster's "go young" movement doesn't pay off in a few years, then yes, this team will be blown up. As it stands, we don't need to blow it up. We have some key guys locked up for the next few years, and some massive cap space coming to us next summer. Iginla can obviously still produce, Kipper is not the washed-up goalie HF makes him out to be, and if our young guys develop the way we expect them to, we'll be in good shape.

And really, none of us care about how well Edmonton will be doing in a few years. So you can say that, but it doesn't phase us.
Not only that, but Edmonton has this tendency of stock piling this talent and then losing much (if not all) of it over a period of time.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
let me remind you that year he was still an elite player... and alot of fans were not only happy about the trade but said it was a good one... i do not blame sutter for an under achieving player... and the way he was ran out of calgary really bothered me for a man who dedicated himself to this organization for 5-6 years? to be treated like that? it just isnt right IMO

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Padlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPassion View Post
Was tongue-in-cheek, i clearly should have used a smiley.
I'm just sick of ignorant people who say that crap. Oh well, 50 of them will read that and hopefully smarten the F up and look at the facts of what he did. No, he didn't turn us into a perennial #1 contender, but he did make us a hell of a lot better than we were.

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Quote:
I'm just sick of ignorant people who say that crap. Oh well, 50 of them will read that and hopefully smarten the F up and look at the facts of what he did. No, he didn't turn us into a perennial #1 contender, but he did make us a hell of a lot better than we were.
He was arguably one bad call away from being a Calgary legend.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:13 AM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Quote:
And then put us right back to where we were before.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Or, if you're Jay Feaster, you might think that Ruslan Fedotenko is worth that.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:40 AM
goodsauce

Quote:
No, but you guys all are. I have legit points about the future of this franchise and all you all respond with is: "********?" and show me pictures of the Canucks making it to game 7 of the SCF. I understand what you are trying to do, but really....I am not trolling here and it has no effect on me. I'd much rather discuss my actual points than try to flame.
Alright, how are the Canucks in better shape? you have a goalie who is locked up for 10 years who is already 30... and also 2 twins that are great, even unreal in the regular season, but cant get it done in pressure situations. I will give you Burrows and Kesler, they are great players that any team would want. other than that, Canucks have about the same team as the Flames really. our prospect pools are virtually identical with the exception of Schnieder, but like I said earlier, a starter locked up for 10 more years nullifies that. Flames and Canucks are close really, and I know, you guys won the presidents trophy and made playoffs, Flames didnt. but you have to agree both are aging, losing the window to win at a rapid pace.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Bartschi? The guy is eons away from being an impact player and even then he's no lock.

Educate yourself:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_org...ings/?start=24

Demand a rebuild. It's the only way, chief.
When has Detroit "rebuilt" in the past two decades? When did Boston tank? When did Vancouver? San Jose? Rangers (who have a great prospect pool despite not tanking). Anaheim? Nashville? How long has Columbus been "rebuilding"? Or Florida for that matter. Or the Jets? Islanders?

Tanking is not the only way to win in hockey. Just because HF goes nuts for it, doesn't mean it's the only ****ing way. You have your opinion, we have ours. Go back to your own board if you don't find our responses quite what your looking for.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Padlock

Quote:
And then put us right back to where we were before.
Look at the team he started with, and look at the team when he got fired and tell me which is better.

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:38 AM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
When has Detroit "rebuilt" in the past two decades? When did Boston tank? When did Vancouver? San Jose? Rangers (who have a great prospect pool despite not tanking). Anaheim? Nashville? How long has Columbus been "rebuilding"? Or Florida for that matter. Or the Jets? Islanders?

Tanking is not the only way to win in hockey. Just because HF goes nuts for it, doesn't mean it's the only ****ing way. You have your opinion, we have ours. Go back to your own board if you don't find our responses quite what your looking for.

(1) The full extent of "cap world" hockey has settled in yet. Teams like Detroit and Boston haven't had to rebuild in the past because they spent tons each year without restriction.

(2) Calgary was an expensive aging core, few young impact players currently playing in the NHL, and the weakess prospect pool in the NHL. THat statement is likely not even open for debate.

(3) Why does anyone who likes the idea of a rebuid get labled a "troll".

(4) Your statement that everyone has different opinionjs is bang on, yet you follow it up by saying if that opinion is different than yours, to leave. The purpose of posting boards is to discuss varying opinions. You seemed scared to do that.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:43 AM
redmile

Quote:

couldn't agree more, this whole blow up and rebuild BS is just stupid, when you have guys like iggy and kipper, and in a cap era that payrol must hit a certain target, I much rather pay iggy and kipper than to over pay some chumps to fill that while a team "rebuilds". Edmonton never blew up their team for a rebuild, they just didn't have anything going, so they are forced to go in this direction, if they had their choice, they sure wouldn't want to have a losing hockey team for what 4 years... 5 years... maybe more.

What teams should do for their fans is to sport a winning team year in and year out all while rebuild or retooling in background without messing around with the main business, this is no AHL club, their purpose here is not to develop players, you are charging people for entertainment, so you better ice a decent product.

redmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
When has Detroit "rebuilt" in the past two decades?
I said this to my Oiler brethren every time this point was brought up: great, so all you need to do is find the next Hakan Andersson and you'll be swimming in Lidstroms and Datsyuks and Zetterbergs for the next twenty years. But they're the outlier.

Quote:
When did Boston tank?
From 2006 to 2008 they drafted 5th, 8th and 16th, the definition of a rebuild from a lottery state. Free agency and Tim Thomas pushed them over the top, sure, but many notable selections from the Draft (Kessel, Marchand, Lucic, Colborne) helped them either win the Cup or acquire the pieces that did.

Quote:
When did Vancouver?
From 1996 to 1999 the Canucks drafted 12th, 10th, 4th and 2nd/3rd. That's a rebuild.

Quote:
San Jose?
From 1996 to 1998 the Sharks drafted 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. That's a rebuild.

Quote:
Rangers (who have a great prospect pool despite not tanking).
The Rangers have had lottery or near-lottery picks several times in the past 12 years. 1998- 7th overall. 1999- 4th and 9th overall. 2004- 6th overall. However, as you folks are now painfully aware, the Rangers can get away with a one-and-done cyclical rebuild because they're one of the top three markets for free agents. That's basically their draft. Unless you really want to enter into a bidding war with Glen Sather every summer- and end up with your fair share of Bouwmeesters, Holiks and Gomezes- that method is not going to work.

Quote:
Anaheim?
Between 2001 and 2005 the Ducks drafted out of the top ten once. That's a rebuild.

Quote:
Nashville?
Like Anaheim, from 1998 to 2003, the Preds found themselves out of the lottery once. They were an expansion franchise so it's understandable, but the young core they have now did not suddenly materialize out of nothingness.

Quote:
How long has Columbus been "rebuilding"? Or Florida for that matter. Or the Jets? Islanders?
This is a valid point, and there's no question that a proper rebuild takes some degree of luck- you need to do it in a span of years where the talent pool is relatively deep, and hope you don't end up owning the 1st overall pick in a 1999-esque year. In this regard, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington all hit the rebuild at the right time.

However, of the failures you've listed, I'd contend that all of them have suffered from the same problem: owner, financial and/or management turmoil, which in turn often leads to an internal cap that inhibits competitiveness. The Hawks had to wait for their owner to actually die before the money became available to provide any kind of organizational stability. Now look where they are.

The Flames have stable ownership, an understanding fanbase, and, perhaps most importantly, a window of opportunity- the 1994, 1995 and 1996 birth years appear to be rich in talent. What Calgary doesn't have is a U25 star or stars that can be turned around for picks/prospects as the Bruins and Flyers have done. That, to me, rules out this 'mini-rebuild' that is all the rage.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Body Checker

I find it very interesting that Feaster is mentioning the trade market and the cap space the Flames have.

I see some fits with Washington, Phliadelphia and the NYR to take on some of their salary.

We could look at taking Wideman, Poti or Fehr from Washington for very little value back. Maybe we could even pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder from Washington for taking Poti off their hands.

Matt Carle from NYR for maybe Brendan Mikkleson?

How about Wolski from NYR for Kostopoulus?

Or if Dubinsky is asking for 4.5 to 5 million a year then how about Bourque for Dubinsky? I think Dubinsky is a smarter player than Bourque, good playmaker with size.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Shameus

That's enough. Keep it on topic. Respond to the post or topic and not the poster.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:21 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I said this to my Oiler brethren every time this point was brought up: great, so all you need to do is find the next Hakan Andersson and you'll be swimming in Lidstroms and Datsyuks and Zetterbergs for the next twenty years. But they're the outlier.

From 2006 to 2008 they drafted 5th, 8th and 16th, the definition of a rebuild from a lottery state. Free agency and Tim Thomas pushed them over the top, sure, but many notable selections from the Draft (Kessel, Marchand, Lucic, Colborne) helped them either win the Cup or acquire the pieces that did.

From 1996 to 1999 the Canucks drafted 12th, 10th, 4th and 2nd/3rd. That's a rebuild.

From 1996 to 1998 the Sharks drafted 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. That's a rebuild.

The Rangers have had lottery or near-lottery picks several times in the past 12 years. 1998- 7th overall. 1999- 4th and 9th overall. 2004- 6th overall. However, as you folks are now painfully aware, the Rangers can get away with a one-and-done cyclical rebuild because they're one of the top three markets for free agents. That's basically their draft. Unless you really want to enter into a bidding war with Glen Sather every summer- and end up with your fair share of Bouwmeesters, Holiks and Gomezes- that method is not going to work.

Between 2001 and 2005 the Ducks drafted out of the top ten once. That's a rebuild.

Like Anaheim, from 1998 to 2003, the Preds found themselves out of the lottery once. They were an expansion franchise so it's understandable, but the young core they have now did not suddenly materialize out of nothingness.

This is a valid point, and there's no question that a proper rebuild takes some degree of luck- you need to do it in a span of years where the talent pool is relatively deep, and hope you don't end up owning the 1st overall pick in a 1999-esque year. In this regard, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington all hit the rebuild at the right time.

However, of the failures you've listed, I'd contend that all of them have suffered from the same problem: owner, financial and/or management turmoil, which in turn often leads to an internal cap that inhibits competitiveness. The Hawks had to wait for their owner to actually die before the money became available to provide any kind of organizational stability. Now look where they are.

The Flames have stable ownership, an understanding fanbase, and, perhaps most importantly, a window of opportunity- the 1994, 1995 and 1996 birth years appear to be rich in talent. What Calgary doesn't have is a U25 star or stars that can be turned around for picks/prospects as the Bruins and Flyers have done. That, to me, rules out this 'mini-rebuild' that is all the rage.
Most of your "rebuilds" are from 15 years ago, and have little to no bearing on the teams current roster.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote