HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ signs goalie Mark Dekanich as backup goalie

Old
07-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
This season depends on Mason. Is having Dekanich instead of McElhinney or Turco really going to keep us out of the playoffs? (Lets not kid ourselves, we were never going to get Vokoun.)

On an unrelated note, the comments for the Facebook post announcing this move are hilarious.

07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
In my mind, an improved team in front of the goalie will make for improved play of the goalie. I think part of Mason's problem is that he got out of position by trying to do too much.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
This season depends on Mason. Is having Dekanich instead of McElhinney or Turco really going to keep us out of the playoffs? (Lets not kid ourselves, we were never going to get Vokoun.)

On an unrelated note, the comments for the Facebook post announcing this move are hilarious.
I like how some of them thought this was a trade. Say wha?

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
In my mind, an improved team in front of the goalie will make for improved play of the goalie. I think part of Mason's problem is that he got out of position by trying to do too much.

Enter Ian Clark.....

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

After reading many of these posts I am feeling better about this signing, but the rest of these AHL signings have me a bit bewildered.

Where are the two to three other NHLers that we need to get us over the hump?

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
After reading many of these posts I am feeling better about this signing, but the rest of these AHL signings have me a bit bewildered.

SH says that they are still looking for a D and F this offseason.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

The more I hear about Dekanich the better it sounds, but this season is going to be all about Mason.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Matt

Nashville has a record of developing NHL goalies and this guy is supposed to be ready.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:16 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Howson is taking a huge gamble with Signing both Dex and Curtis Sanford as potential Garon replacements. Low Salary, but if this doesn't work out, we will have squandered another season and Howson will have egg all over his face when there were still quality, proven NHL backstops available....

I hope this risk is worth it, financially, when Howson goes hard after this bottom pairing dman.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Howson is taking a huge gamble with Signing both Dex and Curtis Sanford as potential Garon replacements. Low Salary, but if this doesn't work out, we will have squandered another season and Howson will have egg all over his face when there were still quality, proven NHL backstops available....

I hope this risk is worth it, financially, when Howson goes hard after this bottom pairing dman.
But it MAY work out too. Who knows? If he hits with Dex, what an asset! A luxury not many teams have, two good goalies (IF and that is a big IF Mason rebounds and Dex plays like he did in the AHL). IF that happens, Howson will have struck gold. I know it is a risk but it is a calculated risk. Dex has a history in the AHL. He has shown he is a good goalie from an organization that produces good goalies. This MAY work out.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Sweet, a North Vancouver product! Have nothing else to say.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 08:56 PM
General Jacket70

Hopefully, with a full time goalie coach and an improved offense, Mason can relax and realize that he doesn't have to do it all to win every game. He just has to be better than the other team's goalie(s) that night.

The best defense is a good offense and the Jackets offensive potential has gone way up in a little over a week. If the CBJ can improve their goals per game/stop playing a lot of 1 goal games that Mason has to shut out opponents to win, I think he'll be able to keep his composure over longer stretches of this next season. In essence, improving the offense should take some of the pressure off of the defense to win, IMHO.

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 09:15 PM
TSA0402

I like the idea of getting Dekanich. Eventually it has to be on Mason, and getting a younger guy with upside with that kind of save percentage in the AHL? What the hell was Nashville thinking? Mistake I'd think of their part.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 10:06 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I dont see how messing up on signing a BACKUP goalie jeopardizes the season..Hopefully Mase plays well enough that we don't have to worry about it.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 12:08 AM
99 CBJ

I can see this kid coming in with the attitude, sorry Steve this is my job now.

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I like the idea of getting Dekanich. Eventually it has to be on Mason, and getting a younger guy with upside with that kind of save percentage in the AHL? What the hell was Nashville thinking? Mistake I'd think of their part.
Considering Nashville's starter was a Vezina nominee last year and their backup is 6'6, 23 years old, and beat out Dekanich for the job, I think they're in alright shape...

I'm really excited to see what Dekanich can do in the NHL though, I've been loading up on him in fantasy leagues for the last couple of seasons and was hoping he'd get a 1-way deal this summer.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
May not have really mattered what they were thinking. Dekanich was stuck behind two NHL goalies, and Nashville just drafted another top flight goalie prospect. This guy probably figured the only way to get a job in the NHL was to hop on the first train out of Nashville. He was probably going to hit the market no matter what.

If he plays to his numbers in the A, this could be quite the steal. Let's hope that is the case.

Old
07-02-2011, 06:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I dont see how messing up on signing a BACKUP goalie jeopardizes the season..Hopefully Mase plays well enough that we don't have to worry about it.
You actually sort of answered your own question there. Dex was brought in as the backup, but with Mason having basically the worst stats in the league the last two years, Dex has a chance to grab this job by the horns and make Mason work for it if he wants to keep it.... but.... Signing a backup goalie who's played all of one NHL game, preceived to be ready or not, is a HUGE risk if Mason stumbles again and Dex turns out to be an average goaltender. Sanford could hold the fort for maybe a few weeks, but this move will either pay dividends immediately or it could risk our season.

I look back in this team's History and see signings like JF Labbe, Fred Braithwaite, Martin Prusek... goalies who were signed as the backups that never really were able to take pressure off the starters because they were simply not viable options and couldn't hold the fort down or were't trusted by the coaches.

I think "worried" is the best thing I can be right now. We are essentially putting all our eggs in another young player's basket, expecting them to take the next step, but in Mason's case, its try to get somewhere even close to where he was a few seasons ago...

Its a huge risk, make no mistake about it. Its going to be difficult for Howson to find NHL experienced goaltending in the middle of the season if he has to scramble for it.

Old
07-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

Holy crap, people. (And this isn't the only post like this I've read in these threads today.)

Old
07-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Palinka

When I saw this move, I actually got up and ran to the filing cabinet, although I tripped over the surge protector and managed to not only wipe out myself, but unplug the computer as well.

I LOVE this signing. Dekanich covers an awful lot of net between his physical size and his athleticism, but he's not a sprawler/flopper in the Hasek model. Work ethic is not a question either, and he's going to come into camp gunning for the #1 spot.

For those who think that Scott Howson doesn't take risks, what could be a bigger risk than signing a backup goalie who's 25 and has less than 1 NHL game of experience?

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Holy crap, people. (And this isn't the only post like this I've read in these threads today.)
I think its because its day one of free agency and Howson has seemingly made Springfield a priority over the CBJ....

I sort of feel the same way, these guys seem like the kind of guys you would get signed after the big top and ferris wheel come down, sometime around next week or so.

Our need for someone to tandem with York in Springfield is almost as huge as as a backup to Mason, so I'm not knocking the Sanford signing, but Johnson and the two forwards seem like something that possibly could've waited until we get the CBJ house in order. We will see...

Old
07-02-2011, 07:39 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
When I saw this move, I actually got up and ran to the filing cabinet, although I tripped over the surge protector and managed to not only wipe out myself, but unplug the computer as well.

I LOVE this signing. Dekanich covers an awful lot of net between his physical size and his athleticism, but he's not a sprawler/flopper in the Hasek model. Work ethic is not a question either, and he's going to come into camp gunning for the #1 spot.

For those who think that Scott Howson doesn't take risks, what could be a bigger risk than signing a backup goalie who's 25 and has less than 1 NHL game of experience?
Will bow to the greater wisdom of those who are more familiar with Dex as far as a scouting report, But dare I say, maybe too big a risk?

Old
07-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
I think its because its day one of free agency and Howson has seemingly made Springfield a priority over the CBJ....

I sort of feel the same way, these guys seem like the kind of guys you would get signed after the big top and ferris wheel come down, sometime around next week or so.

Our need for someone to tandem with York in Springfield is almost as huge as as a backup to Mason, so I'm not knocking the Sanford signing, but Johnson and the two forwards seem like something that possibly could've waited until we get the CBJ house in order. We will see...
It is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The needed 2nd pair guy will come. I think Howson is in Ninja mode now. Lurking, waiting to pounce on a opportunity that will open up when the cap or roster crunch pushes someone into a corner. And although not as imperative maybe another wing.

Remember we do have to field a roster in Springfield. I think that was one of the problems previously, it was just a dumping ground. GMSH and Tyler Wright are trying to rework the organization top to bottom. We need to foster a winning, positive attitude to develop prospects mentally and not just their skills. So signing some talent and some experience for Springfield is important.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Maybe I am asking for to much. Got caught up in the moment.

Old
07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Will bow to the greater wisdom of those who are more familiar with Dex as far as a scouting report, But dare I say, maybe too big a risk?
Honestly, I don't think so. Dekanich would have been Nashville's backup last year if Lindback hadn't played out of his mind. Besides, even if he completely ***** the bed, Sanford can fill in on a spot basis.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote