HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Construct Your Lines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2011, 12:49 AM
  #326
SEALBound
RIP Elmer
 
SEALBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And that's the bulk of your argument, and all you really got in regards to anything pertaining to this debate. I've shot you down and countered every single point you've brought up many of times, as has Goldblum, and quite a few others. You very clearly don't understand how this system works. That much is blatantly obvious. Don't worry though, people will continue shooting you down. I'll keep awaiting your age old reply of, "Malkin is a center" though.
Okay, well you guys keep living that pipe dream of Staal as an effective 2C...

Every single "point" made here is based on theory and what ifs...there' no solid proof that Staal as center and Malkin as wing will be effective. None. It doesn't exist.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:54 AM
  #327
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Okay, well you guys keep living that pipe dream of Staal as an effective 2C...

Every single "point" made here is based on theory and what ifs...there' no solid proof that Staal as center and Malkin as wing will be effective. None. It doesn't exist.
Yes, there is. WVP has brought the threads up a couple of times of when Staal has actually centered Geno for a few games. We watched in Staal and Geno's rookie years. I have given concrete points aside from that, but you seem to have a hard time reading a remembering what has been typed.

Staal was a 1C these past 40 games, and he upped his point totals and played pretty well in the regular season. There goes that theory.

Again...ignorance is bliss. You'll never understand because you don't understand how systems and hockey work, what is expected of players, and what player responsibilities are. If you did, you wouldn't type the things you do.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:58 AM
  #328
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boocock View Post
Given the additions of Neal and Sullivan and the effectiveness of Kennedy, I'd rather see him keep that minute on the PK over the minute on the PP. We have better options on the PP.

During the last portion of the season, he was playing 21:21 a game. 2:30 SH, 3:09PP due to injuries. I'd prefer to see that at 3:00 SH, 2:00 PP, 15:00 ES a game. Any more than 20 minutes a game, and I feel as though you might be getting less out of Staal.

Malkin, on the other hand, needs more time on the ice. He was getting 14:25 ES, 5:20PP. He should be playing 21:00 a game, like Crosby.

Maybe Malkin should play a few shifts with the 4th liners a la 2009 to keep him in the groove. That's more important than what position he plays, imo.

Would we be better off seeing Mark Letestu play a John Madden-esque role on the 4th line? Or would he not fit there? I think Letestu's physicality is often underrated.
You can't go by this past season in terms of ice time. It's cluster****ed. Go by 09-10.

The mins will be what they are. Staal getting better quality ES mins is what I'm mostly worried about. If we're going to develop him as a player, he should probably see some more offensive positions and not be pigeonholed as a defensive specialist.

Malkin does need more ice, which is why I sort of want to see him as a winger. Gives us a little more maneuverability to put him in many different spots in the line up.

I think Letestu would be a fine bottom 6 center where ever DB would put him. His savvy, offensive ability, and faceoff ability would be a benefit anywhere. Some don't like him on the 4th line because that line is supposed to be mean and physical. I don't really care where he goes either way. I think he'll be a good hockey player regardless.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:04 AM
  #329
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 500
I'm against Staalkin as much as anyone, but it's going to happen from time to time. Bylsma has already said he plans on throwing out many different combinations. We're going to see Staalkin, we're going to see a Neal, Crosby, Malkin line, we're going to see Kunitz played with Staal, Hell, Bylsma even said we might see all three C's out there at the same time.

Hold on to your butts.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:11 AM
  #330
Boocock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
You can't go by this past season in terms of ice time. It's cluster****ed. Go by 09-10.

The mins will be what they are. Staal getting better quality ES mins is what I'm mostly worried about. If we're going to develop him as a player, he should probably see some more offensive positions and not be pigeonholed as a defensive specialist.

Malkin does need more ice, which is why I sort of want to see him as a winger. Gives us a little more maneuverability to put him in many different spots in the line up.

I think Letestu would be a fine bottom 6 center where ever DB would put him. His savvy, offensive ability, and faceoff ability would be a benefit anywhere. Some don't like him on the 4th line because that line is supposed to be mean and physical. I don't really care where he goes either way. I think he'll be a good hockey player regardless.
If you want Jordan Staal to develop as an offensive player by playing in the Top 6 and wish to maintain or increase Evgeni Malkin's production and you are convinced that Letestu can handle his responsibilities, then why not go with this combination?

Neal - Crosby - Malkin
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Sullivan - Letestu - Dupuis
Cooke - Adams - Asham

If Sullivan was a depth signing to allow for a possible use of the 3C, then if he does not work out there, could Tangradi be slotted into that position on the 3rd line? Or Jeffrey? Or Cooke, obviously, the man lowered in the lineup this offseason as a result of his shenanigans?

Regardless, Rossi's combination had Sullivan on Line 4, which was hilarious.

Plus, I really liked the Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy line and no one will ever argue with you if you suggest Crosby and Malkin have chemistry together.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:17 AM
  #331
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
I think we'll see all kinds of combos. What you said, I think we could see that. I definitely think we will see Staal in the 2 and 3 holes. I wouldn't mind seeing Sullivan on the 3rd line, for his sake.

Arguing about lineups is dumb with this team, honestly. I do it because we have a schmoe or two who blow smoke and make ridiculous points that are just so stupid that it's impossible for me not to say something. It's a weakness.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:52 AM
  #332
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 23,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
I'm against Staalkin as much as anyone, but it's going to happen from time to time. Bylsma has already said he plans on throwing out many different combinations. We're going to see Staalkin, we're going to see a Neal, Crosby, Malkin line, we're going to see Kunitz played with Staal, Hell, Bylsma even said we might see all three C's out there at the same time.

Hold on to your butts.
Yes....someone gets it.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I think we'll see all kinds of combos. What you said, I think we could see that. I definitely think we will see Staal in the 2 and 3 holes. I wouldn't mind seeing Sullivan on the 3rd line, for his sake.

Arguing about lineups is dumb with this team, honestly. I do it because we have a schmoe or two who blow smoke and make ridiculous points that are just so stupid that it's impossible for me not to say something. It's a weakness.
I...M**U**S****T RESIST!

I made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boocock View Post
If you want Jordan Staal to develop as an offensive player by playing in the Top 6 and wish to maintain or increase Evgeni Malkin's production and you are convinced that Letestu can handle his responsibilities, then why not go with this combination?

Neal - Crosby - Malkin
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Sullivan - Letestu - Dupuis
Cooke - Adams - Asham

If Sullivan was a depth signing to allow for a possible use of the 3C, then if he does not work out there, could Tangradi be slotted into that position on the 3rd line? Or Jeffrey? Or Cooke, obviously, the man lowered in the lineup this offseason as a result of his shenanigans?

Regardless, Rossi's combination had Sullivan on Line 4, which was hilarious.

Plus, I really liked the Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy line and no one will ever argue with you if you suggest Crosby and Malkin have chemistry together.
You better watch out, Malkin isn't playin center. You know...his natural position


You can't rule anything out since really this current team has not played as a team yet. Neal, Niskanen, Sullivan were not in a Pens uniform when Crosby or Malkin last played.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:55 AM
  #333
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes
 
Randy Butternubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,686
vCash: 370
Someone make a poll:

3C
Staalkin
Blender

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:00 AM
  #334
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 23,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
Someone make a poll:

3C
Staalkin
Blender
I'll go with the "Pittsburgh Blend."

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:31 AM
  #335
ss53mech
Registered User
 
ss53mech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville NC
Country: United States
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Can someone that is vehemently against Staalkin give some tangible reason they are against it?

Not 'you don't move the greatest center since sliced Crosby to wing' or anything like that, but an actual reason? Like game stats that show a sharp decline, something like that?

It seems really odd that so many people are against it (bordering on anger at the mere suggestion) when the coaches and front office seem to think it's at least worth trying.
I can't give you a tangible reason that I am against it. However I seriously doubt anyone can give me tangible reason to do it. Simply put, I think we are a better TEAM with the 3c model. Our top 6 would be better with Staalkin, but I think our team and the systems that have made it succesful would be worse. Only way I think Geno should be moved to wing, if it is with Sid. Only way I think Jordan Staal should be in the top 6 (barring injury) is if Staal is the winger. (Oh no I didn't, Oh yes I did).

Just to throw a complete wrench in the works and see how high the flames go, check this out.

Kunitz-Sid-Sullivan/Kennedy
Neal-Malkin-Staal
Cook-Testu-Sullivan/Kennedy

I mean, it's not that unreasonable is it? I think Staal is actually a bigger offensive threat when he is away from the puck, he is good at getting to the right areas, but his decision making with the puck is about .5 seconds slower than it needs to be. We keep putting Nisky on the wrong side of the ice and calling him a bum for not playing well there. This would give all the "Trade Staal" folks a chance if he failed there. It's almost an "everybody wins" type situation.

Staal gets: top 6 minutes/linemates to help his development.
Geno gets: two shiny new top 6 wingers, both with size and decent ability although different from one another.
Staal fanboys (me even though I don't support him in the top 6) get to see Staal with geno and in the top 6.
Geno fanboys (also me) get to see Geno keep his position and his own line with to repectable wingers.

Team gets worse though, we don't generate as many matchup problems for opposition, when staal logs a bunch of time on the PK lines get completely screwed up since he's the only PK'er on his line, our bottom 6 becomes pretty much ho hum at best, good defensively but not much of a threat. Just my opinion, Flame on.

ss53mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
  #336
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss53mech View Post
I can't give you a tangible reason that I am against it. However I seriously doubt anyone can give me tangible reason to do it. Simply put, I think we are a better TEAM with the 3c model. Our top 6 would be better with Staalkin, but I think our team and the systems that have made it succesful would be worse. Only way I think Geno should be moved to wing, if it is with Sid. Only way I think Jordan Staal should be in the top 6 (barring injury) is if Staal is the winger. (Oh no I didn't, Oh yes I did).

Just to throw a complete wrench in the works and see how high the flames go, check this out.

Kunitz-Sid-Sullivan/Kennedy
Neal-Malkin-Staal
Cook-Testu-Sullivan/Kennedy

I mean, it's not that unreasonable is it? I think Staal is actually a bigger offensive threat when he is away from the puck, he is good at getting to the right areas, but his decision making with the puck is about .5 seconds slower than it needs to be. We keep putting Nisky on the wrong side of the ice and calling him a bum for not playing well there. This would give all the "Trade Staal" folks a chance if he failed there. It's almost an "everybody wins" type situation.

Staal gets: top 6 minutes/linemates to help his development.
Geno gets: two shiny new top 6 wingers, both with size and decent ability although different from one another.
Staal fanboys (me even though I don't support him in the top 6) get to see Staal with geno and in the top 6.
Geno fanboys (also me) get to see Geno keep his position and his own line with to repectable wingers.

Team gets worse though, we don't generate as many matchup problems for opposition, when staal logs a bunch of time on the PK lines get completely screwed up since he's the only PK'er on his line, our bottom 6 becomes pretty much ho hum at best, good defensively but not much of a threat. Just my opinion, Flame on.
Tangible reasons are given as to why to do it all the time. I have done it, Goldblum has done it, Cole has done it, Uncle Martin has done it, Uncle Jorgi has done it, and though I don't think he supports it wholeheartedly, Jigglyfly has done it. All it resorts to is people giving legitimate reasons why it should be tried, followed up by reason why it could very well work, and then people who are against it say things like, "Malkin is a center...Staal has no hands...playing wing limits Geno's effectiveness." And round and round we go.

If Malkin centering Staal makes you happy, then put Staal on the wing. Just know, whether Staal is center or wing, he's going to be taking faceoffs and playing low defensively. So what is then the difference of him being a center or a wing? Once the puck is dropped, things are very liquid. Wingers aren't tethered to the boards on their side. The move from board to board all the time throughout a shift.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
  #337
Giant Yankee Pens
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Steve Sullivan ($1.500m)
James Neal ($2.875m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Eric Tangradi/Jeff/Tube ($0.845m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Arron Asham ($0.775m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.550m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Matt Niskanen ($1.500m) / Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.566m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,712,500; BONUSES: $127,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,587,50

I know Dupuis will end up next to Crosby... But I'd just really like to see the best kid in camp get a shot next to Neal and Malkin and let Sully go with Sid... If Tangradi can play like he did in his only playoff game last year, We'd be set for years to come!

Neal - Malkin - Tangradi line = Big, strong, line you just don't wanna play agianst

Prediction... Dupuis goes to Crosby's right wing... there are worse things in heaven and earth... I think...

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
  #338
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Geno played wing when he won a Conn Smyth and set all kinds of playoff records. It was stated by pretty much everyone in the organization that in that run, Geno was predominantly a winger and Talbot was predominantly a center.

I really don't know what you're talking about. Being a winger doesn't change effectiveness, it doesn't change his ability to make plays, it doesn't change his ability to do absolutely anything offensively. If anything, it puts him in a position to be MORE offensive. He can roam around more and not have to worry as much about sticking to defensive assignments. I'm really questioning if you know what you're talking about when you say things like this. This isn't NHL 11. If you move a guy from C to W, he doesn't lose skill points.
Evgeny Malkin played centre in the Russian Super League.

Evgeny Malkin played centre at the WJCs, and at the WC's.

Evgeny Malkin played significant time on the PK in the Russian Super League, in the men's WC's -- even before he was in the NHL -- and in the WJCs. (This is one of the reasons why he was such a highly regarded prospect who some thought had the potential to eventually be a better all-around player than Ovechkin)

Evgeny Malkin played centre in the NHL when he won the Calder Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy, and the Conn Smythe tropy (I don't know why you think otherwise. Talbot was the primary winger. I don't care if he took face-offs or some D-zone coverage).

Evgeny Malkin is such a natural and elite centreman that Dan Bylsma had to fly to Russia to meet with Evgeny Malkin to ask him how he would feel about playing wing (indicating this is not as easy/comfortable/desirable as you make it sound). Bylsma asked Malkin to play the wing not because he thought he would be better at that position, but because we had holes in the line-up at the time. That experiment failed-- except for when Geno was on a line with Sid.

Dan Bylsma (NHL Jack Adams winner, smarter than you or I) said "Evgeny Malkin" and "Selke Trophy" in the same sentence. So basically, you saying Malkin is not a great defensive player or doesn't have that type of ability is tantamount to you saying Dan Bylsma is an idiot who lacks hockey judgement & talent assessment.

Dan Bylsma stated that he will, for the most part, go back to the 3C model (to get Malkin back at centre, because that is where he is a more effective player).

According to Mark Madden the other day, Bylsma/Shero suggested that they may use Malkin (at centre) with Staal & TK on his wing (because Malkin is better at centre). This is probably because they are smarter than you or I and know what's going on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He was never a Selke caliber defensive player. That was never his game, and never will be. Where he will always be effective is on the back check and pick pocketing players. Sticking to defensive assignments will never be his gig.

Geno can still play high quality defense from the wing position.
So he was never a Selke caliber player, AND he can also play high quality defense from the wing position? Contradiction at it's finest, ladies & gentlemen

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
  #339
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Evgeny Malkin played centre in the Russian Super League.

Evgeny Malkin played centre at the WJCs, and at the WC's.

Evgeny Malkin played significant time on the PK in the Russian Super League, in the men's WC's -- even before he was in the NHL -- and in the WJCs. (This is one of the reasons why he was such a highly regarded prospect who some thought had the potential to eventually be a better all-around player than Ovechkin)

Evgeny Malkin played centre in the NHL when he won the Calder Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy, and the Conn Smythe tropy (I don't know why you think otherwise. Talbot was the primary winger. I don't care if he took face-offs or some D-zone coverage).

Evgeny Malkin is such a natural and elite centreman that Dan Bylsma had to fly to Russia to meet with Evgeny Malkin to ask him how he would feel about playing wing (indicating this is not as easy/comfortable/desirable as you make it sound). Bylsma asked Malkin to play the wing not because he thought he would be better at that position, but because we had holes in the line-up at the time. That experiment failed-- except for when Geno was on a line with Sid.

Dan Bylsma (NHL Jack Adams winner, smarter than you or I) said "Evgeny Malkin" and "Selke Trophy" in the same sentence. So basically, you saying Malkin is not a great defensive player or doesn't have that type of ability is tantamount to you saying Dan Bylsma is an idiot who lacks hockey judgement & talent assessment.

Dan Bylsma stated that he will, for the most part, go back to the 3C model (to get Malkin back at centre, because that is where he is a more effective player).

According to Mark Madden the other day, Bylsma/Shero suggested that they may use Malkin (at centre) with Staal & TK on his wing (because Malkin is better at centre). This is probably because they are smarter than you or I and know what's going on.
Bylsma never said that he's pretty much going back to the 3C model, actually.

Malkin played wing many times for Russia in many tournaments. Malkin also played winger when he won the Conn Smyth.

"According to Mark Madden the other day...", is as far as I got in that sentence.

Quote:
Bylsma repeatedly has said Malkin was a second-line anchor as mostly a right wing during the 2009 Stanley Cup run. His 14 goals and 36 points landed the playoff MVP, but forward Max Talbot held the essential center duties — neutral- and defensive-zone faceoffs, deep back-checking — on that line.

During a two-day visit to Moscow last month, Bylsma was reminded by Malkin that he played wing almost exclusively for Russia's silver-medal team at the 2010 world championships.

Talbot said in July that playing wing as opposed to center "wouldn't mess with Geno's head or anything like that." Malkin told Bylsma he would love to play on a line with Staal, with whom he played four years ago when they were rookies — even if Staal was the center.

Staal said this week that Malkin "is pretty excited" about reuniting with him consistently for the first time since they combined for 62 goals as rookie linemates in 2006-07. Malkin should be excited. Any scenario would be better than last season: 28 goals and 77 points in 67 games, all career lows.
Read more: Shift to wing should spark Malkin - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1RMsZGscK

Your posts epitomize what is called "a reach." You keep bringing up DB flying to Russia, and it's so hysterical that I just let you go. DB many times said that he was on a family vacation to Europe, Russia is a place he always wanted to go, so he felt then was a great time to do so. He didn't specifically go to Russia to talk about hockey with Geno.

Quote:
So he was never a Selke caliber player, AND he can also play high quality defense from the wing position? Contradiction at it's finest, ladies & gentlemen
So if you're not a Selke caliber player, you are no good at defense? Herp derp


Last edited by JTG: 07-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  #340
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,649
vCash: 500
Anyone remember Malkin's goal against tampa 7 seconds into the game?

That's an example of Malkin pressuring the play and causing a turnover and thus causing a break away for himself. He can do that without worry bc Staal is his center. He can dominate with **** wings and he can dominate with Staal as his center. I just want next season to happen already and prove that everyone is right. He'll be playing in many different scenarios and if the rumors are correct about his level of motivation and health/strength, then we may see his best season yet.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:39 PM
  #341
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Tangible reasons are given as to why to do it all the time. I have done it, Goldblum has done it, Cole has done it, Uncle Martin has done it, Uncle Jorgi has done it, and though I don't think he supports it wholeheartedly, Jigglyfly has done it. All it resorts to is people giving legitimate reasons why it should be tried, followed up by reason why it could very well work, and then people who are against it say things like, "Malkin is a center...Staal has no hands...playing wing limits Geno's effectiveness." And round and round we go.

If Malkin centering Staal makes you happy, then put Staal on the wing. Just know, whether Staal is center or wing, he's going to be taking faceoffs and playing low defensively. So what is then the difference of him being a center or a wing? Once the puck is dropped, things are very liquid. Wingers aren't tethered to the boards on their side. The move from board to board all the time throughout a shift.
I keep going back to this: Geno is a world-class talent. That talent doesn't go away just because of a label next to his name.

And putting them together won't ruin him. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, they move on.

I'm pretty sure Shero and Bylsma WANT TO WIN. They are paid to win, and if they stop winning they'll probably be looking for work. If they think it's what's best, or at least worth exploring, I think they've earned the right.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:40 PM
  #342
BumFortyOne
Registered User
 
BumFortyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
This.

The team has everything to gain and nothing to lose to have Staal be able to play in any scenario. It'll cost them x amount of games to figure it out if something like this could work.

1st and 2nd period:

Kunitz, Crosby, TK/Dupuis; This line will produce no matter what.
Neal, Staal, Malkin; This lines size has me saying look out NHL.
Sulli, Letestu, Dupuis/TK; Letestu with speedsters on his wing could make up for his lack of speed with his good hockey sense.
Cooke, Adams, Asham; Best 4th line in NHL.

Third period:

Sulli/Neal, Crosby, Tk/Dupuis
Neal/Sulli, Malkin, TK/Dupuis
Kunitz, Staal, Asham
Cooke, Letestu, Adams
This is exactly what I would like to see. The team loses nothing by giving Staal a shot in the top six but has the potential I him breaking out playing with Malkin.

The NHL season is so long that there's plenty if time to see if something works better than the 3C model. If not, then they go back to it. But it's worth it to try since it could potentially have huge gains.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
  #343
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

So he was never a Selke caliber player, AND he can also play high quality defense from the wing position? Contradiction at it's finest, ladies & gentlemen
Honest question that a very quick google search didn't answer:

Has Marian Hossa ever been nominated for the Selke?

He's considered a great two-way player. He's a winger.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
  #344
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I keep going back to this: Geno is a world-class talent. That talent doesn't go away just because of a label next to his name.

And putting them together won't ruin him. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, they move on.

I'm pretty sure Shero and Bylsma WANT TO WIN. They are paid to win, and if they stop winning they'll probably be looking for work. If they think it's what's best, or at least worth exploring, I think they've earned the right.
You are preaching the same message I have for a few months.

Some people play too much NHL 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Honest question that a very quick google search didn't answer:

Has Marian Hossa ever been nominated for the Selke?

He's considered a great two-way player. He's a winger.
Ironically enough...this was the exact example I was thinking of too. Parise too.


Last edited by JTG: 07-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
  #345
Boocock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Some people play too much NHL 11.
Ironic, considering the fact that the Penguins are a better team with Staalkin than 3C with standard 5 minute periods in NHL 11.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:38 PM
  #346
RottenScoundrel
Registered User
 
RottenScoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Little Pink House
Country: United States
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Forwards:

Kunitz / Crosby / Kennedy

Neal / Malkin / Sullivan

Cooke / Staal / Asham

Dupuis / Vitale / Adams

Letestu / Jeffrey

Defense:

Orpik / Letang

Martin / Michalek

Engelland / Niskanen

Lovejoy

Goaltenders:

Fleury / Johnson

RottenScoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:59 PM
  #347
SQUIRM
Registered User
 
SQUIRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScoundrel View Post
Forwards:

Kunitz / Crosby / Kennedy

Neal / Malkin / Sullivan

Cooke / Staal / Asham

Dupuis / Vitale / Adams

Letestu / Jeffrey

Defense:

Orpik / Letang

Martin / Michalek

Engelland / Niskanen

Lovejoy

Goaltenders:

Fleury / Johnson
This is pretty much what I got, although Dupuis and Asham will probably be switched (there's a reason Dupuis makes twice as much). By the time Jeffrey is 100%, there will probably be at least 1 injury that will allow him to find his niche.

I just can't picture a lineup with Letestu playing and more importantly, playing to his strengths. Some people see him as a 4th line center. I think if he's your 4th line center, you're looking for someone to replace him.

SQUIRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:09 AM
  #348
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,649
vCash: 500
I still say giving tangradi a shot in the top 9 and moving cooke down to the 4th line to replace Rupp's physicality there is worth a look.

cooke-letestu-adams/asham would seriously ruin some bottom pairing D.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:33 AM
  #349
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,537
vCash: 500
Way to spell "Evgeni" wrong like 1000 times.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:08 AM
  #350
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
You are preaching the same message I have for a few months.

Some people play too much NHL 11.



Ironically enough...this was the exact example I was thinking of too. Parise too.
Yea... I mean, I don't know if Staalkin will work or not (though I tend to believe it will, just because they seem to have chemistry every time they are on the ice) - but I totally understand why the Pens want to find out.

And I don't understand why people are so against it. If it helps the Pens win - if it makes them a better team (and there's no way of knowing one way or the other if that's the case, until they test it) - then they should do it. And better to test it at the beginning of the regular season than towards the end, or in the playoffs.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.