HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Construct Your Lines

Old
07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Neal - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Kennedy
Tangradi - Staal - Sullivan
Cooke - Letestu - Asham

Letang- Martin
Orpik - Michaelek
Engelland- Nisk

Have to say Fluery and Johnson are a dynamic duo, even when sindy and Malkin were out they led me to second place in my hockey pool!

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Common Sense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
I personally would probably start the season with:

Neal Sid Geno
Kunitz Staal TK
Sully Letestu Dupers
Cooke Adams Asham

But once Jeffery comes back I'd go with:

Sully Letestu Jeffery
Cooke Adams Dupers

as my bottom six.
I like this lineup the best. I'm sure we'll probably see Staalkin and two headed monster. If Staal looks as bad out there as he did last year he'll probably be bumped down and we'll go back to 3C.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Giant Yankee Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Dupuis scores as many goals a year as Kennedy and has a slightly higher shooting percentage over his career than TK so I'm not sure their ability to finish is measurably different.

And what if we stick Dupuis with Sid instead? Aren't we more worried about giving Crosby reason to move on than Staal?
It's not about goal production, it's about skill and line chemistry... Dupuis also gets more goals when he's with Sid as opposed to someone not named Crosby... Crosby isn't going anywhere, he loves where he is and wants to be the best while in Pitt... He's also good friends with Dupuis so that wouldn't be a reason he'd leave... Pick up Sid a winger at the deadline and were all set... or put Sid and Sully together and give a kid a chance on Malkin's wing... IMO...

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Yankee Pens View Post
It's not about goal production, it's about skill and line chemistry... Dupuis also gets more goals when he's with Sid as opposed to someone not named Crosby... Crosby isn't going anywhere, he loves where he is and wants to be the best while in Pitt... He's also good friends with Dupuis so that wouldn't be a reason he'd leave... Pick up Sid a winger at the deadline and were all set... or put Sid and Sully together and give a kid a chance on Malkin's wing... IMO...
I agree that chemistry is the most important factor in putting together effective lines, but you are flat out wrong about Dupuis getting more goals with Sid. Look at his stats over his career. His goal totals and shooting percentages weren't affected by playing with Crosby.

We also have no idea how much Sid likes Pittsburgh or the team. Having Lemieux as the owner and his mentor definitely helps as does the new barn I imagine, but who's to say that he doesn't decide that he wants to play in Canada in two years?

I also suspect that playing Staal in the top 6 won't end as an early season experiment unless it bombs so the Dupuis/Kennedy discussion won't matter anyways

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Giant Yankee for answer the question posed by Agent M. It's a combination of not only chemistry, but also spreading out the wealth a little bit.

Dupuis & Sid have obvious chemistry, as do Staal & TK. Personally, I think there is an excellent chance that Dupuis will be off Sid's line for the first time in years, but I think if he is replaced, it won't be TK that replaces him, but Neal instead. (And Bylsma has kind of eluded to the Kunitz--Crosby-- Neal set-up).

I would like to keep at least 2/3rds of the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line together. So that could be either:

1) Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
2) Dupuis-Staal-Kennedy
3) Cooke--Jeffrey--Kennedy (implying Geno & Staal will play together, and Jeffrey fills Staal's role nicely), or
4) Staal--Malkin--Kennedy

I think there is a very good chance that one of Cooke or Dupuis (likely the latter) ends up on the 4th line if Sid plays with both Kunitz and Neal. The odds of this happening increases even further if Tangradi makes the team.

jmelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

It could be something as simple as home and away lineups.

Away: They won't have the last change.

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal
Sullivan, Staal, Malkin
Jeffrey/Dupuis, Letestu, TK
Cooke, Adams, Dupuis/Asham
Asham/Jeffrey

Why fight the match ups and just impose their will against teams

Home: They'll have the last change.

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal
Jeffrey/Sullivan, Malkin, Sullivan/TK
Cooke, Staal, TK/Dupuis
Dupuis/Jeffrey, Adams/Letestu, Asham/Adams
Jeffrey/Asham

When they can get their match ups run, Crosby, Malkin & Staal down the middle with Staal's line hampering the other teams top line.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Giant Yankee Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I agree that chemistry is the most important factor in putting together effective lines, but you are flat out wrong about Dupuis getting more goals with Sid. Look at his stats over his career. His goal totals and shooting percentages weren't affected by playing with Crosby.

We also have no idea how much Sid likes Pittsburgh or the team. Having Lemieux as the owner and his mentor definitely helps as does the new barn I imagine, but who's to say that he doesn't decide that he wants to play in Canada in two years?

I also suspect that playing Staal in the top 6 won't end as an early season experiment unless it bombs so the Dupuis/Kennedy discussion won't matter anyways
Pascal Dupuis Post-lockout stats:
Goals: 10, 14, 12, 12 before the last two years of 18 and 17
Points: 26, 19, 27, 28, before the last two years of 38 and 37

Just sayin...

Giant Yankee Pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 04:35 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Kunitz - Crosby - TK
Neal/Sullivan - Malkin - Sullivan/Neal
Cooke - Staal - Asham
Jeffrey - Adams - Dupuis

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Chraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
Kunitz - Crosby - TK
Neal/Sullivan - Malkin - Sullivan/Neal
Cooke - Staal - Dupuis
Jeffrey - Adams - Asham
Fixed

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
Fixed
I'd fix it back. Bigger chance that Asham adds something new to that line than Dupuis doing so, IMO.

Anyway, don't understand why people have Adams as C and Jeffrey as a winger.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I'd fix it back. Bigger chance that Asham adds something new to that line than Dupuis doing so, IMO.

Jeffrey would be a waste at the 4th line C.

Could you see the repercussions of Jeffrey displacing one of the top three centers around here?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post

Could you see the repercussions of Jeffrey displacing one of the top three centers around here?
ya if Jeffrey is healthy, id like to see him not on the 4th line. id put dupuis or cooke on the 4th line and jeffrey as LW on 3rd line. or if staal plays with malkin then at center.

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Chraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Disagree. People overrate Asham and underrate Dupuis, who's got all the tools to be an excellent third-liner.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraa View Post
Disagree. People overrate Asham and underrate Dupuis, who's got all the tools to be an excellent third-liner.
I agree with this.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Asham definitely has better offensive instincts and hands than Duper, but Duper has the speed advantage and plays both sides of the ice better. If you want more offensive punch on the 3rd line, you put Asham in there. If you want a shut-down samich, you put Dupuis in there. If you want the other team to urinate on themselves, you put Vitale in there.

Joke all you want; I defy anyone to tell me Joe can't play a hard-nosed 3RW with the best of em on this team! If Disco gives the green light, Joe will make you forget there ever was a ManBearPig. All a man needs in life is a chance to show his Versatility. Keeping Joe down would be a crime.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Joke all you want; I defy anyone to tell me Joe can't play a hard-nosed 3RW with the best of em on this team! If Disco gives the green light, Joe will make you forget there ever was a ManBearPig. All a man needs in life is a chance to show his Versatility. Keeping Joe down would be a crime.
I can't tell exactly how serious you are with all the Vitale folklore & hyperbole.

But I would like to see him on this roster next year. This guy could be a great role player for us for 5 or 10 years, and I would not want to lose him on waivers.

Of course, in addition to being a good role player he can put up 43 goals and back-up Fleury.

Old
07-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I can't tell exactly how serious you are with all the Vitale folklore & hyperbole.

But I would like to see him on this roster next year. This guy could be a great role player for us for 5 or 10 years, and I would not want to lose him on waivers.

Of course, in addition to being a good role player he can put up 43 goals and back-up Fleury.

50 POINTs man, I said 50 points... I might've even said from the Left Wing, but that's probably Vicious rumor. All you haters trying to put words in my mouth with this 43 goal nonsense. He is training with Meloche this summer though to work on his back-up skills. Joe would be the second Penguin backup goalie in history to break someone's jaw with one punch. He's not happy about finishing second, but he's not complaining.

As for folklore and hyperbole, the grains of truth lie between the lines and below the hashmarks. Perhaps I am serious when I say I believe Joe can be a 20/20 guy on the third line, or perhaps... I'm just being conservative.

I'll tell you this: I believe in versatility, vitality, valiance and victory... I believe... in JOE.

Before this season is over, many of you will believe too. People forget the pure rush of excitement and adrenaline they experienced when Joe graced our lineup for a game last year. People were all "Holy ****! Vitale is the man!" Soon, they'll never allow themselves to forget again.

Old
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
TheEdge27

His goal against the Avs was a snipe! Do I dare say he was the 2nd man on the grassy knoll?

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Joe loves his country. The only thing he assassinates are goalie credentials. He did however help Aspyr improve the physics model on COD 4's sniper mode. Typical "summer boredom project" between workouts and servicing the winners of the Anheuser-Busch Women of Wet T-Shirts contest in St. Louis.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
TheEdge27

I remember the McKenna-Lemieux-Kovalev line, so I wouldnt rule out a Malkin-Crosby-Vitale unit.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
BumFortyOne

This was just a thought. Kind of screws over Malkin but if that line finds some chemistry I can't see any other team being able to match that forward group.

Sullivan - Crosby - Neal
Jeffrey - Malkin - Letestu
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Cooke - Adams - Dupuis
Asham

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Jacob

If Vitale can pot 9 goals in the AHL.. he should be good for at least 20 in the NHL and in a lesser role.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

I think everyone is missing the real story here: Vitale centering Malkin.

MAKE IT HAPPEN DANNY BOY!

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
If you look at the context of my reply, you will see that several posters had Jeffrey as LW on the 4th line with Adams being its C .
Not for nothing Adams is listed as a winger and Jeffrey as a C.
If both of them are to be 4th liners on the team, Jeffrey should most definitely be the C on the line, just like he was in his first NHL game last season at Buffalo where he got two points between Adams and Rupp (goal assisted by Adams, Jeffrey assist on Rupp goal).
Jeffrey is certainly as good as Adams on draws and likely will be better in the future. If anything Adams taking a lot of draws is the only reason people perceive him as a C. He could still continue helping out on draws where being a RH is an advantage.

Quote:
Well, I certainly could, but then again I am in the group of people who considers Staal's days as a Pen numbered in any case .
If the Pens get the NHL 2012 draw as perceived likely the other day in the Gazette, I could see that as an occasion making it no less likely that Staal is traded after the season for - among other things - a top 2012 pick.

The thought of Jeffrey being our long term 3rd line C is very much OK with me.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
If Vitale can pot 9 goals in the AHL.. he should be good for at least 20 in the NHL and in a lesser role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I think everyone is missing the real story here: Vitale centering Malkin.

MAKE IT HAPPEN DANNY BOY!

We should just put out a line of x--Vitale--x (basically just Vitale as the lone forward with 2 Dmen)

It would totally confuse and throw off the other teams' defensive coverage, and Vitale has the skill, strength, will and sheer 1-on-5 ability to skate through the whole team and score goals.