HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Construct Your Lines

Old
08-08-2011, 10:07 AM
PrOdIgYx8

vCash: 500
just something i threw together in the heat of the moment not very well thought out.

Neal-Crosby-Sullivan
Kunitz-Malkin-TK
Dupuis-Staal-Letestu
Adams-Jeffrey-Cooke

letestu would be an amazing winger and this would move him up on to a line where he could produce more. and jeffrey would get his shot. I liked what i saw last year out of jeffrey before his injury he may not have been putting up points as you would prefer but still very well positionally and that's what matters in the long run.

PrOdIgYx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If Parise is the piece coming back, you take that 11/10 times.
You have no idea how much I wish we could get Parise.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
TheEdge27

vCash: 543
I just dont like TK on Sid or Genos line. I just think he works so well with Cooke and Staal, 2 guys who dont have to greatest shots or puck control. TK shooting with 2 guys who love to bang around and score most of their goals from around the crease works so well. I just think TK's game might suffer a little if he wasnt the main puck carrier on his line. If we have the depth to keep him with Staal on the 3C, fine by me.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Kruncher11
a whole lotta grease

Neal-Crosby-Malkin
Kunitz-Staal-Sullivan
Kennedy-Jefferey-Dupuis
Cooke-Letestu-Adams/Asham

Kruncher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrOdIgYx8 View Post
just something i threw together in the heat of the moment not very well thought out.

Neal-Crosby-Sullivan
Kunitz-Malkin-TK
Dupuis-Staal-Letestu
Adams-Jeffrey-Cooke

letestu would be an amazing winger and this would move him up on to a line where he could produce more. and jeffrey would get his shot. I liked what i saw last year out of jeffrey before his injury he may not have been putting up points as you would prefer but still very well positionally and that's what matters in the long run.
How do you know Letestu would be an amazing winger? Also, Jeffrey was putting up points like I would prefer. Almost a half point a game with less opportunity than Tube. I see both as 35-40 point players if given a regular shift on a 3rd line. Jeffrey to me has more upside in goal scoring and is a more well rounded player in that he has shown great pk and pp abilities (at the AHL level but that may translate to the NHL).

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
I just dont like TK on Sid or Genos line. I just think he works so well with Cooke and Staal, 2 guys who dont have to greatest shots or puck control. TK shooting with 2 guys who love to bang around and score most of their goals from around the crease works so well. I just think TK's game might suffer a little if he wasnt the main puck carrier on his line. If we have the depth to keep him with Staal on the 3C, fine by me.
I hear what you are saying, but you are acting like 25 year old wingers can't adept to playing with different players or improve their game. TK needs to be given an opportunity in the top 6 to see if last season was for real or just a flash in the pan. Give him 40+ games with Sid or Geno and then go from there. It's not like we will be holding back some sick top 6 winger to give him a shot.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:19 AM
TheEdge27

Always an option. Im just a fan of "if aint broke, dont fix it" and now with neal to pair with malkin and kunitz with sid, the 3rd line could be that much more effective.

I really dont think any line combos would be disasters, even if Duper ends up on Sids line. Having a crop of wingers this good is very exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Im very anxious to see how it all plays out. Camp cannot get here soon enough.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:29 AM
JTG

I get the "if it aint broke don't fix it" mentality. However, if it ain't broke doesn't mean you can't find something better. The wheel was once made of stone...

Thankfully if something is altered in the game of hockey, you can always go back to what worked.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
TheEdge27

Absolutely. Like I said, frustrating and exciting at the same time. I think im still adjusting to this "where do we put all these 20 goal wingers?"

We have all the pieces to dominate, now its up to the staff to put it all together. I have faith in them.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
JTG

When you have a lot of interchangeable parts, thats when you get to camp and let things work themselves out.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
TheEdge27

Quote:

Im very anxious to see how it all plays out. Camp cannot get here soon enough.
Im counting the days. This is the only downfall to summer. No hockey.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
You have no idea how much I wish we could get Parise.
I just wanted to quote myself too. Parise would be awesome on this team.

Old
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Quote:
Just wanted to quote both of you quoting yourselves ...

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Just wanted to quote both of you quoting yourselves ...
... and then quote myself quoting you quoting yourselves.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
tuckrr

#26 Tang, "He'll kick your Ass"

(from Tang, "Its a kick in a glass")

poster potential?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
TheEdge27

I blame CW for making me want to quote myself. My apologies

Old
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
I blame CW for making want to quote myself.

I am starting to lose my mind watching the same 4 games on NHLN every night.
NHLN sucks. They need to watch MLB network and copy everything they do.

I'm getting tired of seeing games I watched 3 months ago. They need more programs, like Prime 9 and Plays of the Month. The classic games are fine, but when you're showing them nonstop for weeks on end, it gets old.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
TheEdge27

I really liked "Oil Change" and I cant think of the exact title, "my day with stanley" i think it was. I think that helps people in other cities see a side of guys they might not care for, and just peak the casual fans' interest a little more.

I wish they would film all the charity events the players do. That would be cool to see.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
JTG

Henrik Zetterberg's wife was hot.

Old
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
I really liked "Oil Change" and I cant think of the exact title, "my day with stanley" i think it was. I think that helps people in other cities see a side of guys they might not care for, and just peak the casual fans' interest a little more.

I wish they would film all the charity events the players do. That would be cool to see.
I liked those too. I was commenting more on the offseason programming that sucks.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
TheEdge27

Id like to see a show with coaches and GMs preparing for free agency and camp, and everything in between. How free agents handle July 1 and things like that. In depth look at the game would be great for the casual or hardcore fan.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Henrik Zetterberg's wife was hot.
I'm going to need visual evidence.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I never said anything about Jeffrey personally. As far as Kennedy, he shoots the puck a lot right or wrong. Maybe a few extra found their way in or he's made a significant step. I don't think it's an absurd question. He's had one 20+ goal season. So have a lot of guys. I don't see how wanting more evidence is a crime.
Fair enough, and if you think TK needs to prove more and offered only a small sample, I would say the same thing about Letestu. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
So much fail in your post. Staal will be given the shutdown duties no matter where he plays. Letestu centered our most effective line last fall next to Sid's. I don't get how everyone is so ready to put a ceiling on his potential. Wait a year, he's got two left on his contract, bud.
Any line that has Malkin on it (aka our 2nd line) will be our "most effective line next to Sid's".

But wait....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

Letestu scored 27 points in his first 64 NHL games. Max Talbot has scored 28 in his last 127 games. 1 point less in half as many games. Talbot has never had a 27 point season. For less than half the cost, you lose some PKing and grit for twice as much offense and the 2nd best faceoff guy on the team. I'm not saying Letestu is the ideal 3rd line center, but he's certainly better fit for that role than Max Talbot. I think you may be holding onto his misleading final impression playing completely over his head with Kovy and Neal.
Let's see the contradiction between these 2 posts:

The first one says Letestu was very effective in a scoring line role with a great player (Malkin), but the second one says Letestu was "completely over his head" playing on a scoring line with Kovalev and Neal (legit scoring line forwards, albeit not at the level of Malkin). These are divergent statements and suggest that Letestu may not be a legit option for a scoring line role -- at least as a centerman.

I remember something my violin teacher told me once about players in an orchestra: "There are lifters and there are leaners." Some players significantly elevate the quality of the whole, and some players bring it down or are merely adequate in the presence of better players around them.

I will happily say that I'll delay judgement and that the jury is still out on Letestu because it was his first season. However, if I had to evaluate him now, I would say the evidence suggests he's a leaner -- especially if he proves he can only play centre and not show the adaptability to try playing wing on a line with Geno or Sid to try to take advantage of his very good shooting ability.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
PenguinTommy

I would like to see some GMs' work as well..

The only time I watched a documentary like that was, Washington Capitals - Behind the scenes of 2006 Entry draft. Little more calls in McPhee's hotel room, where I could hear that we, Pens, had an offer from Canes, it was our 2nd overall pick for Jack Johnson..it was really great all-access documentary

I would like to see something like that where two GMs are working on a trade, how it really looks like, what they are talking about, etc.

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Fair enough, and if you think TK needs to prove more and offered only a small sample, I would say the same thing about Letestu. Just sayin'.

Any line that has Malkin on it (aka our 2nd line) will be our "most effective line next to Sid's".

But wait....

Let's see the contradiction between these 2 posts:

The first one says Letestu was very effective in a scoring line role with a great player (Malkin), but the second one says Letestu was "completely over his head" playing on a scoring line with Kovalev and Neal (legit scoring line forwards, albeit not at the level of Malkin). These are divergent statements and suggest that Letestu may not be a legit option for a scoring line role -- at least as a centerman.

I remember something my violin teacher told me once about players in an orchestra: "There are lifters and there are leaners." Some players significantly elevate the quality of the whole, and some players bring it down or are merely adequate in the presence of better players around them.

I will happily say that I'll delay judgement and that the jury is still out on Letestu because it was his first season. However, if I had to evaluate him now, I would say the evidence suggests he's a leaner -- especially if he proves he can only play centre and not show the adaptability to try playing wing on a line with Geno or Sid to try to take advantage of his very good shooting ability.

I was actually talking about conner-letestu-kennedy. That was our most effective line behind Sid's. Letestu does not belong in a second line role. He may be able to be a RW if Malkin has a primary winger to work off of while testube takes draws.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote