HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2011 - Part III (READ THE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I'm operating under the assumption that Desharnais will be centering the 4th-line like he did for almost all of last year, dominating lines filled with fringe hockey players. Since Gauthier hasn't gone out and signed a 4th-line centre as of yet I think that it is a reasonable assumption.
Well I give u that one.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I'm operating under the assumption that Desharnais will be centering the 4th-line like he did for almost all of last year, dominating lines filled with fringe hockey players. Since Gauthier hasn't gone out and signed a 4th-line centre as of yet I think that it is a reasonable assumption.
Last year we signed Halpern less than a month before training camp, I have a feeling Gauthier will either sign someone cheap later in the summer or they might give Engqvist a shot as Martin seemed pretty high on him after the AHL playoffs.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:28 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
You can make a very good case for the Maple Leafs being a contender for a playoff spot.

Especially with that defence.
Reminds me of the time a couple of years back when way too many people were classifying the Leafs' D as top 5 in the league for no particular reason other than hype. In reality it was far too short on skill to be effective, and the results bore that out.

As I see it, the Leafs' D has been weak for a while; and while adding Liles will help, it was pretty grim with Kaberle in his spot, too.

I would classify the Leafs' blueline as fourth-best in the division, behind Buffalo, Montreal and Boston (in no particular order). Obviously Ottawa's is not very good, although it's not abysmal either.

As for the Leafs making the playoffs, they need to beat out two of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Washington, Tampa, Boston, Montreal and Buffalo to make it. They might slide in in 8th, but I would say that all those clubs are stronger than the Leafs.

I am not impressed with Burke so far. Long on thunder and lightning, short on actually improving his club.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:53 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Last year we signed Halpern less than a month before training camp, I have a feeling Gauthier will either sign someone cheap later in the summer or they might give Engqvist a shot as Martin seemed pretty high on him after the AHL playoffs.
I'm NOT saying that it is impossible that PG will get a faceoff man for the 4th line C position. But I AM saying that I don't think that Andreas Engqvist will be given a starting 12 job ahead of Darche or White. With everyone healthy and no new players and White signed, we can expect our 4 C to be Pleks, Gomez, Eller and Desharnais. I don't see White or Cammalleri moving back to Center, so there is no one else among our top 12 to play C.

Also, if somehow we did get a 5th C with size, and we were ready to move either DD or Eller to the wing, for me the choice is easily Eller. Desharnais has superior puck distribution skills and better on-ice vision at this time. He also wins more faceoffs. Eller on the other hand seems like the kind of guy who will get more goals than assists, or at least close, and he has the strength and hitting ability of a winger.

Old
07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Reminds me of the time a couple of years back when way too many people were classifying the Leafs' D as top 5 in the league for no particular reason other than hype. In reality it was far too short on skill to be effective, and the results bore that out.

As I see it, the Leafs' D has been weak for a while; and while adding Liles will help, it was pretty grim with Kaberle in his spot, too.

I would classify the Leafs' blueline as fourth-best in the division, behind Buffalo, Montreal and Boston (in no particular order). Obviously Ottawa's is not very good, although it's not abysmal either.

As for the Leafs making the playoffs, they need to beat out two of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Washington, Tampa, Boston, Montreal and Buffalo to make it. They might slide in in 8th, but I would say that all those clubs are stronger than the Leafs.

I am not impressed with Burke so far. Long on thunder and lightning, short on actually improving his club.
Imo, it really all comes down G Reimer next year. I like their defense, and think getting Franson is a pretty good move. But it doesn't matter much if your galie is inconsistent. I always view the defense as a 7 man corps (6 D, 1 goalie). So as a D corps, Toronto even with their improvements come in behind Montreal, Buffalo and Boston.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:33 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
What happened today? There is not much news reagading UFA signing.
It's been rather quiet today but that's to be expected I guess with all the early signings..

It really sucks that the "rumors from non-credible sources" thread as been locked.. That was the most interesting thread on this board IMO and I don't see why there can't be a thread to discuss what these people write.. After all this is a hockey discussion board is it not?

Old
07-03-2011, 04:35 PM
The Doors

They are crapping all over the Habs chances at playoffs on the main board. Don't they do that every year?

Habs stay half as injury-free as last year and they will cruise to the playoffs, no problem under JM snoozing but effective system.

As far as I'm concerned A. Markov is the best free agency pickup of all of them

Old
07-03-2011, 04:38 PM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
It's been rather quiet today but that's to be expected I guess with all the early signings..

It really sucks that the "rumors from non-credible sources" thread as been locked.. That was the most interesting thread on this board IMO and I don't see why there can't be a thread to discuss what these people write.. After all this is a hockey discussion board is it not?
Everyone thought that. It was the most interesting and rumor filled thread we had here..but they decide to lock it for whatever reason..I never understood the mentality of this board here.

Like really, what is the harm in having a thread, on a hockey discussion board, discussing hockey rumors...seriously..

Old
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Ginu

I don't think Desharnais will be playing center next year. Eller went above him in the depth chart at center. Shifting him to the wing IMO is what made Pouliot expendable.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
They are crapping all over the Habs chances at playoffs on the main board. Don't they do that every year?

Habs stay half as injury-free as last year and they will cruise to the playoffs, no problem under JM snoozing but effective system.

Crapping on the Habs is ALL they do on the main board here so it's not a big deal anymore.. Just a waste of time even going there really..

Old
07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post

The habs might not be a contender but to suggest their chances of making the playoffs aren't REALLY GOOD.. is really dumb.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Habitants

imo habs will need to add some depth players to hamilton.

particularly a 3rd string goalie, because after Budaj, they have only Mayer. I would not mind Jeff Deslauriers

With Eller out, Engqvist could see some action, they will need to add to the center depth in hamiton...

Old
07-03-2011, 04:44 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Everyone thought that. It was the most interesting and rumor filled thread we had here..but they decide to lock it for whatever reason..I never understood the mentality of this board here.

Like really, what is the harm in having a thread, on a hockey discussion board, discussing hockey rumors...seriously..
Agreed.. The mods will say it's the rules but IMO it's a stupid rule and I fail to see the harm.. It just gives us something to talk about.. Just my opinion on the matter..

Old
07-03-2011, 04:45 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:

I am with you on the "rumors from non-credible sources". These rumors were good topic for discussion. A sticky thread about these rumors would be nice.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Bergfors in Nashville for 575k. I predict he'll be this year's Sergei Kostitsyn.

Old
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Markov was indeed a great free agent pick up...if you want to put it that way...

Markov was consistently one of our best players so much so that when he went down all those times we thought oh this is the end because we were so reliant on him but, pre JM era we needed Markov so bad, now JM's system has conditioned us to have strength without him imagine the power of the general now at the helm....Markov, Cole, Yemelin and Paccioretty really add a huge dynamic to this team...

Still think we should have retained Halpern....He is not slow at all...Hamrlike was way slower and I actually look forward to using our speed to burn him Washington, if we get passed the almighty halpern checking line...

Konopka had to play a specific uber prest role in NYI, it is clear to me JM puts a certain kind of leash on his players he rather have a group of unified sled dogs than a lone rottweiler, to some extent look how avery sometimes actually plays decent hockey...not saying to sign Konopka but I could see him being better on any other team not named the islanders...with Cole added Pouliot Halpern and Pyatt gone I see us attempting to sign or trade for a forward...or a promotion in training camp is in order

Old
07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post

Quote:
Agreed.. The mods will say it's the rules but IMO it's a stupid rule and I fail to see the harm.. It just gives us something to talk about.. Just my opinion on the matter..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I am with you on the "rumors from non-credible sources". These rumors were good topic for discussion. A sticky thread about these rumors would be nice.
You guys are unbelievable. It's been stated MANY times that rumors from non-credible sources are not allowed on HF. However, us mods on the Montreal board realized that people enjoyed discussing these rumors so we decided to ask the people in charge if they would allow an exception to this rule for July 1st. Their answer was yes as long as we contained all these rumors in one thread and that this thread would be closed at the end of the day. We "forgot" to close it on Friday... That's why it was left open until today. You can't fault the mods for this.

07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Protest the Hero

It's funny that discussing fake rumours is so enjoyable for people. We have a whole thread for making up your own lineups, and making up your own trades/signings, why do you need Eklund to trick you into believing something?

You don't need randoms on twitter to tell you Montreal might sign someone to start a conversation, just suggest trades yourself.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
hockeyjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
It's funny that discussing fake rumours is so enjoyable for people. We have a whole thread for making up your own lineups, and making up your own trades/signings, why do you need Eklund to trick you into believing something?

You don't need randoms on twitter to tell you Montreal might sign someone to start a conversation, just suggest trades yourself.
its funny that your in a thread about rumors writing about how its funny that people are discussing rumors...

Old
07-03-2011, 05:40 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
You guys are unbelievable. It's been stated MANY times that rumors from non-credible sources are not allowed on HF. However, us mods on the Montreal board realized that people enjoyed discussing these rumors so we decided to ask the people in charge if they would allow an exception to this rule for July 1st. Their answer was yes as long as we contained all these rumors in one thread and that this thread would be closed at the end of the day. We "forgot" to close it on Friday... That's why it was left open until today. You can't fault the mods for this.
Can I ask where this particular rule is stated? I can't find it in the site rules, nor on this board.
I think the point is that without people posting on these boards, it ceases to exist. It should be meant for the enjoyment of its' users. Rules are meant to be dynamic, not static. If enough people want something like the rumour thread and it doesn't amount to extra work for mods, then perhaps it should be something that is permitted.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:45 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I think you're taking it a little personal, when you shouldn't be...
It's pretty easy to see their point. Some people like to be serious, some are dreamers, but regardless of your interest, we're all here for the same reason... the love of hockey.

What does H F stand for anyways?

EDIT: by the way, I would just like to add that I know it's not easy to run this place and it can be pretty challenging at times, especially over here, and I appreciate what you guys do, and I don't find enough people take the time to say that. You guys do this for free, as far as I know, so THANK YOU.

Last edited by White Spy: 07-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
I think you're taking it a little personal, when you shouldn't be...
It's pretty easy to see their point. Some people like to be serious some are dreamers, but regardless of your interest, we're all here for the same reason... the love of hockey.

What does H F stand for anyways?
Nobody is taking anything personally. It's just annoying when you have to repeat yourself a thousand times. And considering it's a basic rule of HF, it shouldn't need repeating in the first place.

People don't realize that there's a whole other forum that you don't see, where mods and admins talk and make decisions. If you guys want something changed, PM your admins and mods, (the ones you like anyway) and I'm sure they'll bring it up.

We're posters too, we'd like to have some fun just as much as you guys.

Old
07-03-2011, 05:54 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Nobody is taking anything personally. It's just annoying when you have to repeat yourself a thousand times. And considering it's a basic rule of HF, it shouldn't need repeating in the first place.

People don't realize that there's a whole other forum that you don't see, where mods and admins talk and make decisions. If you guys want something changed, PM your admins and mods, (the ones you like anyway) and I'm sure they'll bring it up.

We're posters too, we'd like to have some fun just as much as you guys.
HA!

You cease to become a "poster" when you accept a Mod or Admin job, you should have known this .. I am serious about this .. you are no longer allowed to have fun

Old
07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Maybe totally minor for most if not all...but Columbus signed Alexandre Giroux in a 2-way contract. Habs should have been all over him. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the Dogs, but they better have something....'cause it's not going to be an easy season if they don't...

Old
07-03-2011, 06:45 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Maybe totally minor for most if not all...but Columbus signed Alexandre Giroux in a 2-way contract. Habs should have been all over him. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the Dogs, but they better have something....'cause it's not going to be an easy season if they don't...
I wanted him too, but think about it. There's a reason he signed in columbus, he might actually get called up there. Here, not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
HA!

You cease to become a "poster" when you accept a Mod or Admin job, you should have known this .. I am serious about this .. you are no longer allowed to have fun
I was voted into office, brah. Had no choice

Closed Thread