HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy III: Brad Richards

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
I think it's between NYR and LAK. I also think the contract figures are similar. And if thats the case I have a hard time believing BR turns down the easier schedule/east coast and his former coach Tortorella.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
broadwayblue

Someone go knock on Brad's door and wake him up. lol

Old
07-02-2011, 10:07 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Rumor is though that the rangers dont have the highest bid or even the 2nd highest bid.
Right, but when people look back from other teams they will blast the Rangers for being it it, overpaying, blah, blah, blah, even though their offer was probably 3rd highest.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So you want me to believe that with Richards signing with Rangers, hockey fans around the continent won't be saying that this is typical Rangers? How many posters from other teams come on to this board asking for one of our RFAs because we won't have the money after signing Richards? The truth is not always the perception.
They already started months ago regarding Richards.

Old
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Some guys don't want the weight of the world on their shoulders. See James, Lebron.
See I think unless you bring in a player bigger then Lundqvist which I don't Richards is the Rangers and their success will always sit on the shoulders of Lundqvist. I mean as much as we blamed Gaborik for his short comings last season it still was over shadowed by commentators and media outlets that the success of this team will be what Lundqvist does for the Rangers. So coming to NY really wouldn't be like "The Playoffs will only happen if B.Richards is Successful in NY." because clearly we've proven to be a playoff team without him..Now if the argument is the Stanley Cup then yeah you need Staal, Lundqvist, Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, ect to all have great years..but thats besides the point..

The only way Richards comes to NY and gives himself a bunch of pressure is the contract he signs...I think it was the pressure that both crumbled Redden and Gomez...hard to live up to Big numbers in big cities...

Old
ruckus*

Quote:
So you want me to believe that with Richards signing with Rangers, hockey fans around the continent won't be saying that this is typical Rangers? How many posters from other teams come on to this board asking for one of our RFAs because we won't have the money after signing Richards? The truth is not always the perception.
Why do you care?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Yeah I know what will happen. But after so many years, you kind of just stop giving a crap what other fans think of your team. That's why they are not rangers fans and why they are Leafs/Flames/Kings/etc fans. Of course they will hate us, just like islanders/penguins/flyers/devils/etc fans hate us. It really doesnt bother me.
Oh, I agree...heck, there are certain members of our own fanbase that spout the same thing.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Winning in NYC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>everywhere else.

Come on, Brad.

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Would the Rangers ask for Richards input on who he'd like to be the LW?

I am just wondering if thats something that would be discussed in the meetings
They could. But certainly that would take place after he signs. My point was more that you have to assume Brad asked what the team's plans are and who he would be playing with. I just assumed that the Rangers told him they would find him a LW to play with if they didn't believe they had the right fit in the organization already.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:09 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Why do you care?
It annoys me. Judging from some of your non-hockey posts in the past, I would think you of all people would be annoyed by the misrepresentation of the facts. If you are to say that you can keep sports and non-sports items categorized separately, but, the behavior of the media in both milieus disturbs me.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:09 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
You know what else is going to suck about this whole thing is that if Richards does sign with the Rangers, the Rangers will be blasted and accused of business as usual, when more likely, Calgary coming in with their reported offer, LA with the supposed over-the-top presentation, and Buffalo threatening to blow everyone out of the water is what likely got everything to this point. The Rangers will come out looking like enemy #1 as usual.
haters gonna hate

no one likes to give slats any credit - most people's views are entrenched and they can't see the bigger picture

Old
07-02-2011, 10:10 AM
h0ckeyman

So after some sleep I've realized some things. BR is a single guy, no wife no kids, correct? You're telling me a single guy is going to sign up to go play for 9 years in Calgary? LOL. Yeah right. He's coming to New York guys.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
It annoys me.
Me, too.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
So after some sleep I've realized some things. BR is a single guy, no wife no kids, correct? You're telling me a single guy is going to sign up to go play for 9 years in Calgary? LOL. Yeah right. He's coming to New York guys.
No hot babes in LA?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Oh, I agree...heck, there are certain members of our own fanbase that spout the same thing.
For me (as I'm sure it's for you) watching guys like gaborik, lundqvist, young core developing into veterans, has been very exciting. Seeing this team come out of the basement of the NHL to a pretty respectable franchise, not just because of their success since the lockout to make the playoffs every year except for one, but to develop such a strong farm system and have a lot of guys on the NHL roster being homegrown with more on the way. Adding BR would make this ride even more exciting. That's all that matters to me. I'll pay the ridiculous ticket prices to see that talent come all together.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:14 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
No hot babes in LA?
Touche, I'll give you that. I still think our chances are very decent. LAK or NYR. No real connections to people in LA, or his connection to his former coach in NY? Maybe I'm just over-rationalizing at this point lol

Old
ruckus*

Quote:
It annoys me.
I don't see why. There's a salary cap in place.

Do you think Devils fans get upset every time Kovy scores? All they can think about is ohhhh man other team's fans must really hate us.

Besides, I don't even think his contract is going to be ridiculous. A 7-7.5 type of cap hit is pretty much what everyone expected for him.

I don't think it's really a big deal.

Old
beastly115

Quote:
And, look at this thread to see how much teeth-gnashing went on when those figures came out. Doesn't matter if we have the highest bid or not, if Richards signs for those numbers, the meme becomes same old Rangers.
Quote:
Sooo you don't want to sign Richards because you don't want to get trolled by other teams fans? Who gives a ****.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:16 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I don't see why. There's a salary cap in place.

Do you think Devils fans get upset every time Kovy scores? All they can think about is ohhhh man other team's fans must really hate us.

Besides, I don't even think his contract is going to be ridiculous. A 7-7.5 type of cap hit is pretty much what everyone expected for him.

I don't think it's really a big deal.

I have felt from the beginning he'd get a deal with a cap hit with at least $7 million. The years mean nothing to me, as long as there's no NMC past year 4.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:17 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
There's no doubt in my mind he's choosing between NY and LA.

Depends on the kind of lifestyle he wants. Does he want the penthouse suite overlooking the city? Or does he want the Beverly Hills mansion overlooking the valley? Two very different locations.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
No hot babes in LA?
LA is overrated.

And women are EVERYWHERE.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
I have felt from the beginning he'd get a deal with a cap hit with at least $7 million. The years mean nothing to me, as long as there's no NMC past year 4.
Well how it's all structured is yet to be seen obviously. My point was just that I think it's going to be round that type of cap hit, and that's what everyone thought from the beginning because that's pretty fair.

It's not like the Rangers are offering him a Kovalchuk type deal. Then people would be bent. In this situation though I don't think any other fans can say anything if he ends up here.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
LA is overrated.

And women are EVERYWHERE.
True, but I was responding to a comment that a single guy might like to choose NY over LA because of the ladies.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Sooo you don't want to sign Richards because you don't want to get trolled by other teams fans? Who gives a ****.

Umm...go look at my posts on signing Richards. I have wanted him since 2007, when I thought the Rangers should attempt to trade for instead of wasting money pursuing Gomez. I have never one thought the Rangers should not pursue, and have been fairly confident he'll be a Ranger. As I posted above, $7 million per for whatever amount of years does not bother me in the least, unless there's an NMC past year 4. I think this guy will be productive late into the contract. My comments on merely on the expected fallout from the signing.

Old
07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
There's no doubt in my mind he's choosing between NY and LA.

Depends on the kind of lifestyle he wants. Does he want the penthouse suite overlooking the city? Or does he want the Beverly Hills mansion overlooking the valley? Two very different locations.
The penthouse. In a Beverly Hills mansion, everyone would be like "Oh look this is where Brad Richards lives!" In a penthouse, I don't like anyone would know, but he'd still have the same luxury. He comes off as a very simple guy in my opinion, I like that.

Closed Thread