HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

White signs with the Wings

Old
07-02-2011, 04:32 PM
SJSharks2010

vCash: 500
White signs with the Wings

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....seman_ian.html

Our only notable UFA has signed with Detroit for 2 Years @ 2.875 per.

Got the link from the Wings forum, not working for some reason.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Wings got a steal there. He's definitely worth more.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:43 PM
5H4RK5

............................the great WHITE shark has passed us by and decided to learn how to fly on the road.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
LionSpeak
threadkiller

"That's a gold medal pick. I'm pissed off. They just hit a home run."

LionSpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Damn ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:57 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
he wanted to be closer to his family.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
wtfisthis

Steal for wings but not bothered by this at all since there was no place for him on this roster.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:19 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
God ****ing dammit. Of all teams.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
God ****ing dammit. Of all teams.
Rafalski retired, I'd rather face White than him tbh. It's only a matter of a few seasons before we no longer have to face lidstrom too, that'll be the day.

2.8 seems like too much for white on our team. Which is why we only paid him 600k after the deadline

Given the pp time, demers can score just as often as white at a much lower cost, then add on burns and we've simply become a whole new defense.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Eighth Fret

we'll only have to face lidstrom one more year. i really doubt he'll stay longer.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Harold Snepsts

Hey Sharks fans, just hoping to get an informed opinion about White from those who saw him play most recently, since I know little about him. Seems like a good deal for the Wings and a decent middle pairing guy, but wanted the inside scoop.

As for Lidstrom, yeah, I think this may be it for him this season. I kind of thought Holland would make some blockbuster move to really go for the Cup before Lidstrom retired. No such luck though. It'll be interesting to see a Wings team without him in the lineup. I think that's when it'll really sink in just how good he is.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Hey Sharks fans, just hoping to get an informed opinion about White from those who saw him play most recently, since I know little about him. Seems like a good deal for the Wings and a decent middle pairing guy, but wanted the inside scoop.

As for Lidstrom, yeah, I think this may be it for him this season. I kind of thought Holland would make some blockbuster move to really go for the Cup before Lidstrom retired. No such luck though. It'll be interesting to see a Wings team without him in the lineup. I think that's when it'll really sink in just how good he is.
He plays with heart. He's good but not great defensively and good but not great offensively. You guys have yourselves a good well rounded defenceman at a good price, but don't expect him to replace Rafalski. He's not good enough to fill those shoes.

Like I said, you guys are going to enjoy having him on the team, and he came at a good price.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

Rarely turns the puck over which fits Detroit to a tee. He has offensive numbers that would indicate that he could blossom if given a full time #1 PP role. Basically a cheap version of Wiz and you might get a tad better defensive play than Wiz. By eyeball I wasn't enamored of his defensive coverage; you might want to limit his PK minutes and minutes against top matchups.

IMO, Detroit is situated to make a later blockbuster move against a cap-strapped team, unbalanced, cap-necessitated trade or offersheet.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:

small PMD. can really skate well. good point shot. he'll help produce points from the back end. around 30-40 sounds like a good bet for White in a full year with one team.

i was fine letting him go, because Burns is better. i did think he was worth $3-4MM, so Detroit got a good deal no doubt. i dont think White is a good defensive player, so expect some mistakes there.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Ian White is just a prototypical #4 defenseman. Average defensively, average offensively with a good shot.

2 yrs at $2.8 mil per is a pretty good price. He won't shut down top line forwards in this league (see Vancouver, Sedins) but he takes care of the puck.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:56 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Burns > White. We good.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

He will be a good fit in Detroit. Good for him.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Harold Snepsts

Cool. Thanks for the insight guys.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Rasta

He's a lil guy, I'm not sure if he has much of a chance against bigger forwards

Rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:10 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

He's a #4 guy who tries to to do everything and plays hard. But seeing that he's just 26 I definitely assumed he was going to get more than this. I would have guessed something like 5 years of 3.5

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Sharksfan83

Good #4-5 solid d. Wont win you a cup, but wont lose you one. The price is about right afaic

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
lsx

What always struck me about White, was his ability to make slight corrections to his shot in order to get it through traffic and to the net....unlike some of our other point men who shoot right at opposing player's shin pads.

White is a good pickup, I wish we had a spot for him - the only downside I saw to his play was his small size.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:34 AM
rangerssharks414

Harold Snepsts:

I thought he'd get more money considering the market. I think the cap hit is about right for someone of his skillset. He's a good skater, and he has a good shot from the point. It isn't that hard of a shot, but it gets through more often than not, and it's pretty accurate. He moves the puck really well. He's small for a defenseman, and he's average at best defensively. He isn't a liability on defense, though. You don't want him playing on the penalty kill if you can avoid it.

He should quickly become a fan favorite.

rangerssharks414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:28 AM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Harold Snepsts:

I thought he'd get more money considering the market. I think the cap hit is about right for someone of his skillset. He's a good skater, and he has a good shot from the point. It isn't that hard of a shot, but it gets through more often than not, and it's pretty accurate. He moves the puck really well. He's small for a defenseman, and he's average at best defensively. He isn't a liability on defense, though. You don't want him playing on the penalty kill if you can avoid it.

He should quickly become a fan favorite.
Another Red Wings fan here looking to see what you guys thought about White. I remember when the Wings signed Rafalski, the Wings fans were excited about his right hand shot for the powerplay to replace Schneider (who had a hard shot, just not always accurate...), and the New Jersey fans talked about how weak Rafalski's shot was. It ended up being perfect, though, because he was accurate and always put it right at Holmstrom who got great deflections off of the lower velocity shots. White may see an increase in assists because of that fact, I like hearing that!

Anyway, White sounds like a solid add to the Red Wings. You guys got a very good upgrade in Burns, though. The price the Sharks paid (Setoguchi, Coyle) was probably more than anything the Wings could have offered, I would have loved to see him in Red. Enjoy the offseason, guys, hope to see you in May again! (with a different result...)

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:02 AM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post
hope to see you in May again! (with a different result...)
You mean 4-0, Sharks, right? =)

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote