HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Zenon Konopka

Old
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Besides, it's not as much that I want him (although there is a strong case) as much as I expect DW to sign him. He fits the mold of a cheap DW acquisition: low cap hit, good at faceoffs (Manny, Nichol, etc.). There is "DW precedent" for this.

So whether we want it or not, I firmly believe DW will sign him or at least is targeting him, perhaps now waiting to see if someone will overpay for him, and if not, scoop him and get him at a bargain price (like $850k - $1M cap hit).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 02:45 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Yeah, who needs one of top faceoff men in the playoffs? No need for that guy to win a critical draw in the offensive or defensive end in playoff games, of course that makes perfect sense. Just like that Game 5 vs. VAN in the remaining seconds of the third with a 2-1 lead. No need for Konopka there to win the draw, clear the puck, and win the game.
I don't care how good you are at faceoffs if you aren't good defensively. He's average defensively and terrible offensively. With fights being a non factor in the playoffs he becomes nothing but a draw taker, as soon as the faceoff is over he becomes useless again.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Tealblood

the guy has a screw loose he's not going to be groomed for ****. Not sure why people think a player is going to dramatically change his game when he comes here. (probably the same people who think eager can just go through some mental "rehab" or training to not be an undisciplined hothead)

Most of our centers are good enough at faceoffs that getting a guy simply for that role doesn't make much sense to me. If he stays on the ice at all he'll take a stupid penalty putting us shorthanded. At least with nichol if he did get stuck on the ice you had a strong forechecker who put every ounce of effort on the ice.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post
the guy has a screw loose he's not going to be groomed for ****. Not sure why people think a player is going to dramatically change his game when he comes here. (probably the same people who think eager can just go through some mental "rehab" or training to not be an undisciplined hothead)

Most of our centers are good enough at faceoffs that getting a guy simply for that role doesn't make much sense to me. If he stays on the ice at all he'll take a stupid penalty putting us shorthanded. At least with nichol if he did get stuck on the ice you had a strong forechecker who put every ounce of effort on the ice.
Exactly.

We just signed Zus, we should be fine as far as faceoffs go. Worst case scenario we give Desjardins a permanent role as #4 centre and find someone at the deadline, and I'd be totally fine with that.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 06:04 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

He had about a million penalty minutes last year...but for some reason I'd still be fine with him joining our fourth line. Good faceoff guy and plays tough.

Last edited by sharkbite3: 07-02-2011 at 06:10 PM.
sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Admiral*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealblood View Post

It's easy to say this when you have obviously never watched him play more than a couple games (if any) before because I can tell based off of your comments. He's a leader who can motivate people, one of the best trash talkers, a great face-off guy, puts his team shorthanded ONCE EVERY 4 GAMES, and fights. Once again, perfect 4th line center.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:19 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

You don't want him.

I loved Z in his year on the Island because he basically took a leadership role when Doug Weight was out for the season. Aside from that and his faceoffs, he does nothing but take horrible penalties. Also a terrible hockey player. He's a good guy and I will cheer for him wherever he goes, but I'm happy he's not gonna be on these Isles next year.

Don't bother with him. Desjardins looked like a gem in the playoffs. Better off with him.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote