HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Excited for 2011-12 (Next season discussion/lineups)

Old
07-03-2011, 03:06 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
What about rolling three lines evenly and having one line with size

Mike Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Max Pacioretty - Lars Eller - Erik Cole
David Desharnais - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Trying to bring something a little different for line-up discussions.
odd...

lars would get chewed by opposing second lines though

that third line would kiiiiiilll

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:10 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
odd...

lars would get chewed by opposing second lines though

that third line would kiiiiiilll
It seems everyone is posting the same lineup with maybe a small change here or there. Just trying to bring something different. And I wasn't trying to list them as a 1, 2, and 3 line but a balanced top 9. Too bad Eller had the injury at the end of the season. I thought a full summer of training would have done him a world of good. I thought he was making good strides in his development towards the end.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
MTL-rules

Well, the biggest problem is that NYR, Buffalo and TO all got a lot better (even FLA improved)...

Our biggest weakness is by far Gomez, if we could somehow get a no1 centre, we'd be very dangerous, but for now it's going to be a tough road to get in the playoffs.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
It seems everyone is posting the same lineup with maybe a small change here or there. Just trying to bring something different. And I wasn't trying to list them as a 1, 2, and 3 line but a balanced top 9. Too bad Eller had the injury at the end of the season. I thought a full summer of training would have done him a world of good. I thought he was making good strides in his development towards the end.
definitely an interesting thought exercise

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Lions999

I think Gill should play 18-20 minutes instead 23-24 minutes a game.Give a couple extra shifts to Emelin with Subban so Gill is fresh the last 10 minutes of game.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, the biggest problem is that NYR, Buffalo and TO all got a lot better (even FLA improved)...

Our biggest weakness is by far Gomez, if we could somehow get a no1 centre, we'd be very dangerous, but for now it's going to be a tough road to get in the playoffs.
Florida improved, but they're still just playing catch up to everyone else, they signed a ton of third liners or borderline top 6 players though.

New York was supposed to be great with Gaborik, Richards makes them better though yes.

Terry Pegula is a jerk, we don't need more competition in the Northeast, Buffalo is supposed to be a small market team that only does better than expectations.

Toronto hardly did anything, they upgraded their defense, but it was supposed to be one of the best in the NHL last year and that didn't happen.

Let's just not talk about Washington.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:14 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
What about rolling three lines evenly and having one line with size

Mike Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
Max Pacioretty - Lars Eller - Erik Cole
David Desharnais - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Trying to bring something a little different for line-up discussions.
hot.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Playing NHL 11, thought I'd have some fun..

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Terry Pegula is a jerk, we don't need more competition in the Northeast, Buffalo is supposed to be a small market team that only does better than expectations.
Terry Pagula is jerk.... Be because he's a passionate Sabres fan and has the resources to make his team a contender for the cup?

Maybe you're jealous that Mr. Molson doesn't make some calls to convince a player we covet to join us...?

I know some Canadiens fans think that the we almost have a God given right to the cup...but calling an owner who just wants his organization to win isn't a jerk... He's every hockey fans hope!!!

Seriously give your head a shake... Twice!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:13 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I really hope we trade Spacek and bring up Carle as the 7th D for at least a few months. It's unfair to never give him a single NHL game. Who knows, maybe he'll even step his game up in a big way knowing that it could be his last shot with the organization.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Max Levine

Although I am happy to see Erik Cole in a Habs jersey, I wonder how much of the toughness factor Gauthier wants to address. Adding a tough guy who can fight on the 4th line is one thing but he doesn't have that toughness on defense.

Right now, Emelin is the only aggressive defenseman and we all know he's not much of a fighter. We saw what happened in Boston when Moen jumped on Ference: Spacek, Hamrlik and Pyatt were all used as doll rags and punching bags. To this day, I am still shocked at Martin's reaction saying "we'll remember". Remember what? The next game Pacioretty almost got killed, Horton was slapping Subban around and Lucic was running after Pouliot.

Either you address this physical aspect of the game which involves fighting or you don't. If you do and choose to hire a guy like Konopka, then you need to find a heavyweight on defense.

I don't see it happening. If it was that important, Laraque would still be there or he would have been replaced. Therefore, either PG is done or he adds a defensive forward.

As of now:

Cammy - Plekanec - Cole
MaxPac - Gomez - Gionta
Darche - Desharnais - AK
Moen - Engqvist - White
Palushaj/Trotter

Markov - Emelin
Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Weber/Diaz

Upon Eller's return, Desharnais will either play on the left wing or center the 4th line.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Playing NHL 11, thought I'd have some fun..

christ, they all fought at the opening faceoff?

I've barely played nhl 11 but this is something I need to check out

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Terry Pagula is jerk.... Be because he's a passionate Sabres fan and has the resources to make his team a contender for the cup?

Maybe you're jealous that Mr. Molson doesn't make some calls to convince a player we covet to join us...?

I know some Canadiens fans think that the we almost have a God given right to the cup...but calling an owner who just wants his organization to win isn't a jerk... He's every hockey fans hope!!!

Really. Wow.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
christ, they all fought at the opening faceoff?

I've barely played nhl 11 but this is something I need to check out
Hahah, yeah, just kept hitting Triangle at the faceoff

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

Do you take everything so seriously?

Old
07-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Wow... way to miss the sarcasm there. Give your own head a shake.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

I agree, and it is a worry. Rangers and Sabres are scary.

However, I'm amazed at Philly. They might be quite crap if Pronger is not healthy. They'll need a couple of years to adjust to losing Carter and Richards.

Amazingly, If Pronger is not healthy, even with Bryz, I could see them miss the PO this year. Weaker for now, for sure.

Devils will continue to struggle a bit I think. Lemaire is gone, Brodeur is done this year I think. Bubble team.

Laffs and Isles? Still not there, sorry.

Panthers? I have no bloody idea, brand new team.

It seems to be a changing of the guard, something I've seen again and again in 40 years of watching the NHL, a reversal of the teams that have been strong and weak for years:

Good teams, and stronger this year:

Rags
Buffalo
Habs

Strong and getting better:

Tampa

Very strong and same, or slightly worse:

Boston
Pens (I hope Sid's OK, I really do, but sadly, I'm not sure.)
Caps

Strong but may go badly pear shaped:

Philly

**** but could surprise, who knows?

Panthers
Canes

Strong before, but **** now:

Devils

**** and not there yet, but getting better:

Isles
Laffs
Jets

Just ****:

Sens

Habs are in the top 8. They will make the playoffs, it's just that there is a changing of the guard going on, teams that were great are not any more.

Happens every 8 years, and Habs are one of the rising teams, not one of the sinking ones.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Protest the Hero

We changed almost our entire team in one summer once and succeeded, but the Free Agent market was better then, and we already had the goaltending.

I can't believe they made all these changes to get a good goalie, and then the Caps sign one of the best in recent years to a $1.5m dollar contract. I'm sure Vokoun would've signed in Philly for that amount for a shot at the cup.

Old
07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevil View Post
So the Habs were 1 goal from eliminating the future champs. Beaten really by an overtime goal that was blatantly offside.

This team during the playoffs were pretty darn good.

To that team, we will now add,

A. Markov (who at speed is 1 of the best in the league)
J. Gorges (Great stay at home, shot blocking and toughness)
A. Yemelin (touted this week by TT as a potential top 2 soon)

M.Pacioretty (Size, talent, hands and motivation)

and now, Erik Cole ( more size, talent and loves to hit)

There is no way Gomez has the same type of year as he did last year, he can only be better (right?)

So money aside, because honestly I don't care what they pay each player as long as they win, I am as excited for this season to start than I have been in a long time.

This team with Subban, Price and White getting more experience is getting closer and closer to being a contender!
I like your optimism. Few years ago, I used to think like this. But now I realize that every year there will be some players over-performing, and some under-performing.

You're right that Gomez can't do worse than last year. And maybe, Pax and Subban will be better. However, there may be another player under-performing..... maybe Plekanec, maybe Price.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Miller Time

if we stay healthy, Cole/Kost/MaxPac all have solid or better years, and 1 of weber/emelin/diaz firmly nails down a top-5 role, we could/should win the division...

that's assuming Price/PK build on last year, giving us the kind of backbone defensively that makes up for lot's of other weaknesses.

but I also feel that of all the teams who realistically could contend for a division crown/top-4 seed, we are the most volatile, the smallest margin for error.

I'd break the conference down like this as of today:

Top- 4
these would have to be the favorites at this point imo, the teams with the best combination of skill/depth/goaltending.

Washington (upgraded all weak points, without losing any key pieces)

Philly (dramatic changes but still have great top-9 depth, high-end skill, stacked defense and now elite goaltending)

Pittsburgh (sid/geno plus strong defense and solid goalie)

Boston (defending cup champs, depth everywhere and confidence at it's peak)

5-10
roughly in order of their likelihood to push up into the top-4 group, teams that should make the playoffs if things go right, but more at risk of sliding out if things don't go their way.

Buffalo (missed in their big spending moves is that each of them addresses a key need without messing with strong chemistry that made them a playoff team... Erhoff/Leino/Reigher are all mild attitude/team first players)

NewJersey (i think 2nd half run was much closer to the level of that group than the first half. Brodeur's health will be a concern, but if he's solid, getting Parise (or some other asset in return) back might give them enough to steal the division crown away from Pitt/Philly

Tampa Bay (Stamkos is still a ?, but assuming he's back Boucher should have them playing even better in year two... Stamkos/Hedman/Downie/Purcell should all be that much better).

Montreal (as stated above, enough talent/pieces to be a top-4 team, just need to avoid injury-bug and hope young players step up faster than vets are declining

NYR (Richards is a big addition both for what he brings but also to balance their fwd group and taking the spotlight off of Gaborik... Lundqvist/Staal is a solid backbone, and while their D is young, it's very talented.)

Toronto (laugh all we want, Laffs added two pieces that addressed key needs and didn't lose any signigicant player. If Reimer is anywhere near the .921 sv% he was through 1/2 a season last year, and Phaneuf's resurgence after coming back from injury wasn't a blip, they will be much improved this year... plus I'm pretty sure Burke isn't done...)

10-13
Teams fighting for a playoff spot needing everything to go right

Florida (no pressure situation, lots of top-9 talent/depth even if no elite talent, defense will be dynamic, goaltending a ?... bit of a science experiment feel to it, could easily challenge for a lower playoff spot if they can gel quickly enough).

Winnipeg (positive buzz should help them to a strong early start, but lack of depth down the middle and in general keeps them on the bubble)

Carolina (losing cole hurts and no real additions means they need younger guys to continue playing very well to have a chance).

14-15
Out of the playoffs

Ottawa (they should be better, but still incredibly vulnerable to 1-2 bad injuries with not enough quality depth to cover)

NYI (no real additions but no real subtractions, lots of young talent that played pretty well through the 2nd half but lack of depth makes them very vulnerable to key injuries)

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
WestIslander

I say we sign Kovalev for one season or JP Dumont for two seasons:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Kovalev/Dumont
White - Desharnais - Moen
Darche

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Weber - Yemelin
Spacek

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Protest the Hero

Why Kovalev, he's finished.

Old
07-05-2011, 01:13 PM
The Doors

I figure the Habs would like a durable two way centre with size. I really wanted Malholtra two years ago as he would have been a perfect fit and long term solution. That being said, the team does a pretty good job picking up veteran centreman for a year at a time (Moore, Metro, Halpern.. let's ignore Smolinski).

I would guess Jason Arnott is an option, but a bit too expensive. They may be hoping his demands fall throughout the summer, or try and move a contract like Spacek's. Handzus was another one, but he's signed with SJ and is a bit soft anyways. Madden isn't a bad option, but doesn't address toughness the way Arnott does. Keeping in mind, its likely that a guy like Gomez or Gionta would assist in bringing in an Arnott. Chris Drury is out there, but he does nothing for us size-wize and of course, HF would have a field day with Gomez and Drury both on the Habs.

In my opinion Gauthier currently testing the trade waters to see if we can pick up a younger, speedier centreman. I've always wanted the Habs to have a David Legwand type third line centreman, big and fast and responsible defensively, but he has a big price tag and is probably a Predator for the rest of his career. LA seems pretty content with Jarret Stoll, but he'd be a nice fit in Montreal.

I think the most likely scenario is the Habs trying to get Arnott on a cheap one year deal, or maybe rolling with Eller/DD. I'm not as big a Gomez hater as most of you - I like his speed and feel he'll bounce back in a solid way - but man, if Florida needs to hit the cap floor Stephen Weiss would be great fit in Montreal, a fast talented and smart centreman wasting away in Miami.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
neofury*

Sign Kovalev 1 million 1 year so he can retire a hab.

Unless of course he actually plays well. Then you can keep him

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I hope Gauthier still can find a way to sign or trade for a guy to play on the top6, we need offensive depth.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole
Gionta-Gomez-xxxxx
Pacioretty-Eller-Kostitsyn

this 3rd line would be a beast line

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote