HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When would next possible lockout start?

Old
07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
northernKing

vCash: 500
When would next possible lockout start?

Just wondering if anyone knew or can recall the exact date the last lockout took affect? The reason I ask is I was wondering if its after the July 1 date for free agency. If so I can see alot of front loaded deals for players like Semin and Parise that would give them huge signing bonuses even if there wasn't a season.

If the lockout didn't take place until camps were scheduled to open many players may also get offer sheets if the old rules apply. The only down side would be if there was a hard cap but I can't see that happening as the owners were offered one last time and turned it down

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:51 PM
JR28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Just wondering if anyone knew or can recall the exact date the last lockout took affect? The reason I ask is I was wondering if its after the July 1 date for free agency. If so I can see alot of front loaded deals for players like Semin and Parise that would give them huge signing bonuses even if there wasn't a season.

If the lockout didn't take place until camps were scheduled to open many players may also get offer sheets if the old rules apply. The only down side would be if there was a hard cap but I can't see that happening as the owners were offered one last time and turned it down
Don't quote me on this, as I am not altogether sure, but if I remember correctly it expires in September. In this case I believe it is September '13. I actually thought it was after next season, but it appears with all the new contracts the break in salary is for season '13-'14. So there are 2 years/seasons left in this current CBA.

I am sure there is someone who knows all about this, in case i was wrong.

JR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The current CBA is set to expire on September 15, 2012.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
If theres another lockout, Bettman will be beheaded.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:02 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

There's nothing even remotely as contentious as the salary cap was when the last CBA was negotiated. I wouldn't worry about a lockout.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:11 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
There's nothing even remotely as contentious as the salary cap was when the last CBA was negotiated. I wouldn't worry about a lockout.
This. I'd be more concerned with an NBA lockout. Their season runs at the same time as ours. If they lose a year, more people would be turned on to hockey which would be great for the sport overall. Despite most people saying that they probably wouldn't want NBA fans to become NHL fans, it would be huge for our sport. Hell, maybe even ESPN would talk about us without talking about Ovie or Crosby...but I doubt it. They'd probably show highlights of Lebron grocery shopping before a Kings highlight

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Unless Fehr makes it a priority of the NHLPA to remove the hard salary cap. I think that's bad business, personally. Both the NHL & players are benefiting from the current system. But I wouldn't put anything past Fehr.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
There could be a few issues that trigger a lockout.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:45 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
The gap between the cap floor and the cap max will be an issue, as will revenue sharing amongst the teams.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 05:07 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Here is blablablablabla..enjoy

ARTICLE 3
DURATION OF AGREEMENT
3.1 Term.
(a) This Agreement is effective retroactive to September 16, 2004 (the
“Effective Date”), and shall remain in full force and effect until midnight New York time
on September 15, 2011, and shall remain in effect from year to year thereafter unless and
until either party shall deliver to the other a written notice of termination of this
Agreement at least 120 days prior to September 15, 2011 or not less than a like period in
any year thereafter.
(b) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary set forth in subparagraph 3.1(a),
the NHLPA shall have the right: (i) to terminate this Agreement as of September 15,
2009 by delivery of written notice of termination to the NHL at least 120 days prior to
September 15, 2009; or (ii) to extend this Agreement for one additional year to
September 15, 2012 by delivery of written notice to the NHL of such election to extend at
least 120 days prior to September 15, 2011.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 11:37 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Both the NHL & players are benefiting from the current system. But I wouldn't put anything past Fehr.
Precisely why I'm not worried. The most contentious items are likely to be super-long contracts with bogus years at the end (which most of the player membership don't benefit from and they've already partially remedied) and escrow, which will be a contentious issue but is minor in comparison to moving from no cap to a hard salary cap.

I think both players and owners realize this time around as well how damaging any sort of work stoppage would be, and given revenues have gone up every single year since the new CBA was put into effect, they'll all be anxious to get this over with in a hurry.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote