HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Free Agent Frenzy - July 1st - Part II

Old
07-02-2011, 08:32 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Richards decision expected before noon EST, 9 am PST.
Translated ..how many hours left till then from now?

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Orenji

In the next two and a half hours.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Translated ..how many hours left till then from now?
2 hours 26 minutes....

2 hours 25 minutes....

......tick...tick....tick...

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prince

2 1/2 hours from now.

Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I disagree, I feel that the top 3-4 teams in the west each have a significantly higher chance of making the cup finals than any of the teams in the East, because as you said, anything can happen in that conference. In total the 15 teams in the East have the exact same chance at making the finals as a team in the West...as the average would be 1/15th in each conference (or 1/8th once playoff starts). But in the East, where anything can happen every team is closer to the mean than in the West where there is a much wider distribution. The top 4 seeds in the West are more likely to make the finals than the top 4 in the East, but the bottom 4 seeds in the East are more likely to make it than the bottom 4 in the West. So if NY and LA are both 4-8 seeds, I like NY's chances better. But the top 4 in the West have better chances than any to make the finals, and as I expect LA to be in that group on a consistent basis, I expect LA to have a much better chance at a cup in the next 5-9 years (duration of Richards' contract).
But does Richards tip the scales in NY's favor more than signing with the Kings? Will there be enough ice time for Richards in LA? I think that is why the Kings brought their coaching staff, they need to convince Richards that the will get plenty of ice time. I don't think you can blame Richards for picking NY since they don't have a #1 center and he can get 25+ minutes per night in NY. He will get 18-20 minutes in LA.

It may come down to whether Richards likes being the man, like when he was in Dallas or part of a strong supporting cast, like playing with TB.

Quote:
Still hard to handicap the Richards race. NYR and LA are neck and neck. A line with Richards and Richards is interesting. NYR by a nose?
3 minutes agovia Twitter for BlackBerry

DarrenDreger

Darren Dreger
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/stat...51640762785792

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:37 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Okay Thanks guys

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Orenji

We need to stop bidding head-to-head with New York teams.

Next year we'll battle for Parise against the Islanders and lose to them, too.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
We need to stop bidding head-to-head with New York teams.

Next year we'll battle for Parise against the Islanders and lose to them, too.
Nah, he will probably re-sign with NJ after touring LA.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Orenji

If Torts wasn't in NY, I think it would be LA.

But the familiarity in the system, and knowing he can be the guy there will get them Richards.

Hopefully next year for Parise we make a new video with bigger stars.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:46 AM
redcard

Quote:
But does Richards tip the scales in NY's favor more than signing with the Kings? Will there be enough ice time for Richards in LA? I think that is why the Kings brought their coaching staff, they need to convince Richards that the will get plenty of ice time. I don't think you can blame Richards for picking NY since they don't have a #1 center and he can get 25+ minutes per night in NY. He will get 18-20 minutes in LA.
No and I agree. Richards still doesn't pull NY ahead of Wash, Pitt, Bos, Phili (even though I have no idea what they're doing) and maybe Tampa. I'd expect them to find themselves in the 4-7 spot on a regular basis. Where as with LA it catapults us to a position where we are legitimately contending for the 2nd spot with Chicago/San Jose/Detroit with the possibility of taking down Vancouver. I expect us to be at this point 1-2 years from now regardless of signing Richards (assuming that Lombardi reacts accordingly). I know there's a lot of bias in there, but I'm fairly confident in that.

But as stated, I completely agree with the rest of your post....although he'd still be the #1 LW in LA, with the possibility of double shifts centering one of Murray's multiple post special team "pick a player out of a hat" lines. Reduced ES ice time also allows him to have extended pp shifts....which I assume is some of the multiple points drawn up during the sales pitch.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
No and I agree. Richards still doesn't pull NY ahead of Wash, Pitt, Bos, Phili (even though I have no idea what they're doing) and maybe Tampa. I'd expect them to find themselves in the 4-7 spot on a regular basis. Where as with LA it catapults us to a position where we are legitimately contending for the 2nd spot with Chicago/San Jose/Detroit with the possibility of taking down Vancouver. I expect us to be at this point 1-2 years from now regardless of signing Richards (assuming that Lombardi reacts accordingly). I know there's a lot of bias in there, but I'm fairly confident in that.

But as stated, I completely agree with the rest of your post....although he'd still be the #1 LW in LA, with the possibility of double shifts centering one of Murray's multiple post special team "pick a player out of a hat" lines. Reduced ES ice time also allows him to have extended pp shifts....which I assume is some of the multiple points drawn up during the sales pitch.
That's the only thing that scares me, Kompon was brought along for the presentation.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Orenji

Quote:
Tim Connolly- a solid consolation prize (E4)

"Whoever doesn't get Brad Richards will immediately try and sign Tim Connolly. Not a bad consolation prize at all. So look to La, Toronto, NY, Calgary..."
Why would we want Connolly? We don't actually need a center.

Old
07-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Tonka
Diggles

Well, if Leafs are not even close to Richards interest, I'd like to see him on the Kings (well not really, I want to see him on the Leafs). Your team will definitely be feared next season no doubt. Compared to last season, which was still good, it will be like night and day.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I wonder if you double shift Richards on the left point, you play Doughty, Kopitar and 2 of Williams/Penner/Richards/Brown. Then on the 2nd unit, you play AMart and Richards on the point, with 2 of the forwards not on the 1st unit, and the mighty JMFJ playing forward

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:04 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I wonder if you double shift Richards on the left point, you play Doughty, Kopitar and 2 of Williams/Penner/Richards/Brown. Then on the 2nd unit, you play AMart and Richards on the point, with 2 of the forwards not on the 1st unit, and the mighty JMFJ playing forward
No, if you want to double shift him have him rotate to the half wall, Kopi goes off for Johnson who comes on to play the point.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Jack Johnson does not approve.

1st PP:
Penner-Kopitar-Brown
Doughty-B Richards

2nd PP:
Parse-M Richards-Williams
Johnson-Martinez/Voynov

Double Shift PP2:
B Richards-M Richards-Williams
Johnson-Martinez/Voynov

Old
07-02-2011, 09:08 AM
null33

Quote:
Jack Johnson does not approve.

1st PP:
Penner-Kopitar-Brown
Doughty-B Richards

2nd PP:
Parse-M Richards-Williams
Johnson-Martinez/Voynov

Double Shift PP2:
B Richards-M Richards-Williams
Johnson-Martinez/Voynov
Holy Cow.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Taking away your Kings-fan bias, do you think that Richards picking NY would be a mistake?

I don't. I think it is an even choice as far as winning the cup. In NY, he gets to be the man and enjoy the spotlight. Something he didn't get in TB or Dallas.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Orenji

NYR won't lose him. If it comes down to us and NYR, the Rangers will go the extra mile. Dean might really want Richards, but it's not something we need. It would be a great luxury, but nothing the Kings truly need right now.

Rangers NEED a #1 center or their team is super weak on the first line. They need Brad Richards. They aren't going to get Connolly and be happy. Torts and Sather will fight tooth and nail to get him. Lombardi won't go to the insane heights Sather does.

Quote:
Taking away your Kings-fan bias, do you think that Richards picking NY would be a mistake?

I don't.
Not really. We're a better team, but not so amazingly better that the Rangers can't compete in the East with him. He also has personal connections there and likes New York.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

It sounds as if Richards was intent on signing with NY but I think the Kings presentation has given him something to think about.

He did say in an interview on TSN that he wants to play for a championship team, one that can maybe make multiple runs at the cup. To me it seems LA is in the best position to do that with a signed B.Richards. Who knows, LA never gets the big prize in UFA.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Face Wash

Horribly worded Tweet by Damien Cox says

DamoSpin Damien Cox
Kings land a second Richards today, they become favourites in the west.

you mean IF....

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Orenji

I'm sure that we at least made some sort of impression that it dragged onto Day 2.

If he had nothing to think about, he would be a Ranger yesterday.

Today he's going to talk to his family and decide New York is the best place for him.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
It sounds as if Richards was intent on signing with NY but I think the Kings presentation has given him something to think about.

He did say in an interview on TSN that he wants to play for a championship team, one that can maybe make multiple runs at the cup. To me it seems LA is in the best position to do that with a signed B.Richards. Who knows, LA never gets the big prize in UFA.
And this will continue today...

...but I love being wrong too...

Old
07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
And this will continue today...

...but I love being wrong too...
you won't be...sadly.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Orenji

Quote:
@sportsnetbroph: Brad Richards just told me no set time for decision, but it will be around noon, "give or take."
He's already made up his mind. Come on, just pick the Rangers already and go hang out with Sather and Avery.