HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's Health -- Latest update Post #632

View Poll Results: When will Crosby play, and play effectively?
Crosby is ready to go now, and his concussion is behind him. 23 7.82%
Crosby will be ready, but symptoms will linger for a couple months. 66 22.45%
Crosby will be ready for the first regular season game. 47 15.99%
Crosby will be out for at least the half of the year, but will return this year. 90 30.61%
Crosby will be out for this year, but will return to play eventually. 25 8.50%
Crosby will attempt to comeback, but his career is over. 43 14.63%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
He doesn't make up time frames, he goes with what he is told by the medical staff. If you aren't gonna trust the opinion of the medical staff, and they're the most qualified to know, you shouldn't trust anyone else's opinion either, so you might as well not even have an opinion, right?
I'm sure Shero's received these same medical reports from the team doctors. Yet I don't recall a quote by Shero that ended up sounding ridiculous. Even when commenting on Sid's possible return for the playoffs, Shero kind of gave it the elusive "we're going forward with or without Sid. There is no timetable for his return". Would it have been so difficult for Bylsma to do the same, especially when the injury is as uncertain as a concussion is?

Old
08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Shero also wasn't being asked 3 times a day for 5 months.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Jonjmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Has Bylsma even acknowledged Sid has a concussion?

I figured he'd still be trotting out his trademark "upper body injury, day-to-day" insight.
This is what everyone needs to keep in mind. Unlike the NFL, an NHL team is not required to disclose any details of injuries. So take what anyone says, regardless of who it is, with a LARGE grain of salt.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
The last time he had true concussion symptoms when we were in theplayoffs, they shut him down completely. Yet now he apparently has concussion symptoms, and he hasn't been shut down. This apparently means, in your mind, not that he had some brief symptoms after pushing himself progressively harder that immediately went away, but that he's at the same point he was back then and for some reason the Pens and the doctors are now just saying "**** it Sid, just keep practicing" because they no longer care, right?
This cannot be stated or quoted enough in any thread concerning Sid's health. This is the heart of it, the most important part, and people completely ignore it and focus on, "HE'S STILL HAVING SYMPTOMS OMG!"

They're no where near as severe, not even in the same neighborhood. That's what you need to focus on, because it's clear progress.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
This.

This is our franchise effin player. A generational talent. If he's not well, we're screwed.

I see people get worked up about a January game against the Devils and people think it's silly to get worked up over this? Sid's health has far more relevance to how we do this season than any other factor.
The difference being, noone is getting worked up over a January game in mid-October based on a rumor and a lack of updated info. Not this ridiculous nonsense of "OMG, Sid has been training hard after a major concussion and at some point he might have had a dizzy spell?!?!?! How could this happen?!!?!?!? HE'S NOT GONNA START THE SEASON ON TIME! WE'RE SCREWED!!!!1!".

Quote:
At this point, after all the "will he? won't he?" BS we dealt with at the end of the season, I don't want to hear the words "minor setback". I just don't. Call me an alarmist, I just don't feel like hearing that.
You just answered yourself. That's pretty much what alarmists do. They freak out before they have all the facts because it's emotionally too difficult for them to handle just waiting until all the facts come out before they dance themselves off the deep end. You're hardly the only culprit though ... you should've seen this place a month before it was confirmed the Penguins were getting a new arena. It was borderline pathetic.

Quote:
I guess rumors are going to float around regardless, but we've been left in the dark for the most part ever since Sid has been out. There's more info on David Perron's injury for God's sake. What I want to hear - "he will be ready to play 8 months after the injury, without a doubt." I haven't heard that, so until I see Sid play, I'm going to worry.
Suit yourself. I'd rather wait until there's something to actually worry about. Call me crazy.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

I heard them say on the radio that Shero said that Crosby is on schedule, he has had some minor symptoms, but all of which were expected by his doctors, and has not effected his schedule or recovery in any way. And that they fully expect him to be ready to play from the preseason on. Basically he was saying that someone was blowing the expected natural course of events in a full recovery and playing from game one all out of proportion.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I think the expectation from most fans was that with all this time off, Sid would be good to go for the season. It's clear from these Shero quotes that this is, at the least, not a foregone conclusion.

If you want to read between the lines and put a negative spin on the Shero quotes, you would doubt that Sid will be in uniform to start the season.

It's clear from the quotes that if the season started this week Sid would not be ready to participate.

Whether this state of affairs is something to be upset over, is a matter of one's perspective. Personally I am disappointed because I was hoping that he had had enough time to make a full recovery by now.
I would've thought that everyone on this board would be sufficiently educated on the nature and severity of Sid's injury to know that there's no way to guarantee 100% that he'd be good to go on opening night 2 months before hand. I assumed wrong.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm sure Shero's received these same medical reports from the team doctors. Yet I don't recall a quote by Shero that ended up sounding ridiculous. Even when commenting on Sid's possible return for the playoffs, Shero kind of gave it the elusive "we're going forward with or without Sid. There is no timetable for his return". Would it have been so difficult for Bylsma to do the same, especially when the injury is as uncertain as a concussion is?
Yeah, i'm sure you would've been so much happier with Bylsma if instead of telling the facts as he knew them at the time, he instead chose to be intentionally vague and keep you even more in the dark.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
I would've thought that everyone on this board would be sufficiently educated on the nature and severity of Sid's injury to know that there's no way to guarantee 100% that he'd be good to go on opening night 2 months before hand. I assumed wrong.
According to the best medical knowledge, the timeline for PCS ranges from a few months to a year, and even longer in the most extraordinary cases. Sid is right in the meat of that so it wouldn't have been impossible for him to be completley 100% back to normal at this point. That obviously isn't the case.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

Quote:
Yeah, i'm sure you would've been so much happier with Bylsma if instead of telling the facts as he knew them at the time, he instead chose to be intentionally vague and keep you even more in the dark.

You mean vague, like how Shero's handled this whole thing? Yes, I'd rather Bylsma have followed Shero's approach, rather than get my hopes up by saying he only expects Sid out for about a week and end up being done for the season and playoffs, or tell me Kunitz is only going to be out 4 to 6 days and not have him return until 3 weeks later.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
According to the best medical knowledge, the timeline for PCS ranges from a few months to a year, and even longer in the most extraordinary cases. Sid is right in the meat of that so it wouldn't have been impossible for him to be completley 100% back to normal at this point. That obviously isn't the case.
And? Crosby is still working out, he's still on track to be fine by training camp, but because they won't put a 100% guarantee on it, you're worried? Why? Because you have nothing better to do?

Old
08-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You mean vague, like how Shero's handled this whole thing? Yes, I'd rather Bylsma have followed Shero's approach, rather than get my hopes up by saying he only expects Sid out for about a week and end up being done for the season and playoffs, or tell me Kunitz is only going to be out 4 to 6 days and not have him return until 3 weeks later.
Then why are you worried now? All we have to go on right now are vague inferences that all is well. Based on your criteria, you should be extremely happy right now. Sid is practicing, he's progressing, but Shero won't guarantee what will happen 2 months from now. Sounds like exactly what you want.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

I thought that the headaches that Sid had been experiencing during the playoffs were later said to be a result of a sinus infection that he had.

I had a concussion back when I played high school football. I had to sit out two weeks and then I was put through a series of drills that included running sprints with a weighted sled attached to me. I experienced headaches and dizziness at first, but then felt fine a few days later after more testing. They were basically attributed to going two weeks in and out of quiet rooms and not doing anything strenuous at all and then being vaulted to vigorous activities. I wonder if that's what Sid is going through? He was shelved for months and then pretty much jumped into his normal (ridiculous) training program. I've also read that his training is borderline crazy intense. It includes running with a weighted vest sideways around a huge hill.

I'm such a huge hockey and Penguins fan that I hope he's able to come back and be the old Sid again but at the same time, I'm trying not to lose sight of what's important to him and his family..

ahhh ****** it!! Quit being a little girl and get your a$$ back on the ice you baby! (joking..kinda)

Old
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:
You just answered yourself. That's pretty much what alarmists do. They freak out before they have all the facts because it's emotionally too difficult for them to handle just waiting until all the facts come out before they dance themselves off the deep end. You're hardly the only culprit though ... you should've seen this place a month before it was confirmed the Penguins were getting a new arena. It was borderline pathetic.
I have as many facts as are available to the public. I'm not freaking out. I just want Crosby to come back healthy. At this point however, I would like some level of reassurance or significant info on where he's at. That's all I want.

I talked to many Pens fans during that 2-3 year arena scare. It was so bad that during the lockout I picked a backup team just in case they moved in the Sabres. People had a right to be concerned, at least initially, because for a while there we were in serious danger. However, in 2006 it got to be excessive concern, I agree.

I just want Crosby healthy, that's all. No more dancing around whether he is or not.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
And? Crosby is still working out, he's still on track to be fine by training camp, but because they won't put a 100% guarantee on it, you're worried? Why? Because you have nothing better to do?
Yesterday we thought Crosby had been symptom free for months.

Now we find out Crosby is still experiencing symptoms.

So duh, people are worried.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Jaded-Fan

Poll: Will Crosby be ready and healthy for the start of the season?

So much interest in this subject, I thought a poll to see how many actually are optimistic and how many pessimistic are here regarding Crosby's recovery.

The question is pretty straight forward.

Old
08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
He's not on any kind of track according to Shero. They won't clear him if he's still having symptoms. If he's still having symptoms now, he could easily still be having symptoms in 6 weeks.

Shero's quotes indicate that they don't have any expectations that he'll be ready or that he won't be ready. If you read between the lines on Shero's quotes, it seems that based on the current situation there is a good chance he won't be ready.

I.e., still emphasizing the bigger picture, he won't be pushed, etc. He's laying the ground work for Sid not being ready, as if that's a strong possibility. That's disappointing.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Yesterday we thought Crosby had been symptom free for months.

Now we find out Crosby is still experiencing symptoms.

So duh, people are worried.
Then people are stupid. Sorry, but it's ridiculous. The start of the season is two months away, and Sid is progressing, and isn't having any symptoms that would cause him to alter or interrupt his typical offseason workouts. The fact that you and others had inferred based on no information that Sid hadn't had even mild symptoms while increasing his workload during his training program doesn't provide a reason to worry, it provides an opportunity for you to question why exactly you believed after everything that's gone on with him that having the occasional headache or dizzy spell would be out of the question. I had pretty much assumed that was gonna be the case ... i have no idea why others are so shocked by this news.

He's better now than he was at the end of the season. His workouts are continuing uninterrupted, and he's progressively pushing himself harder. If at some point his progress stagnates and/or they shut him down completely, i'll worry. Until then, gimme a break.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

I bolded the things that I think are encouraging!

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...fb-pghpenguins

Quote:
Shero: Crosby Continues to Progress
Monday, 08.15.2011 / 12:46 PM / Features
By Michelle Crechiolo
Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been continuing with his usual summer workout routine and is progressing well in his recovery from a concussion he suffered in early January, according to Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

Crosby, who began his summer program of off-ice workouts after meeting with Dr. Michael Collins of UPMC on June 1 and has since added on-ice sessions to his training regimen, will be evaluated again about a week before training camp begins in September to determine his playing status.

I think (Sidney) has progressed really well this summer, Shero said, who talked to Crosby over the weekend. Hes happy with his progress. Training camp is a month away, so theres no expectation for me that he wont be ready or will be ready. Hes doing his usual routine. Hell probably be in a week before camp starts, and well evaluate him then to see how hes doing.

All in all, its been a good summer for him getting back home and really getting back into his workout routines on and off the ice, so well see what the next month brings us for training camp and of course, Oct. 6 for the regular season.

Crosby, who turned 24 on Aug. 7, has been working with his longtime trainer, Andy OBrien, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The good news is that (Crosby) continues to work out and has worked out hard this summer," Shero said. "When he went back, he had a progression planned with his trainer, Andy OBrien, that hes gone through. So well see where we are come training camp.

Shero said that Crosby has experienced some occasional symptoms, but emphasized that those are related to how hard the Penguins captain has pushed himself -- which is good news in itself -- and that they are to be expected with an injury like this.

He pushed himself pretty hard this summer, which is the good news, Shero said. Hes never had to get to the point where hes had to shut himself down or anything.

While Crosby is in good spirits and is making positive steps in his progress, Shero also emphasized that the team will not rush the star center in his recovery.

The thing for me and for the organization is the bigger picture with Sidney Crosby, making sure that he is 100 percent cleared and ready to play when he does come back, Shero said. Hes not going to be pushed to come back to practice or play.

I want to make sure a year from now, three years from now, five years from now that hes still the best player in the league and take the appropriate steps and back him, and go from there.

MORE INJURY UPDATES: Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said that forward Dustin Jeffrey, who was sidelined with a knee injury on March 24, is doing "quite well" in his recovery and may be cleared to begin on-ice workouts today.

"Dustin Jeffrey is going to see the doctor today here in Pittsburgh to be hopefully cleared to skate," Bylsma sad. "Hes doing quite well and is hopefully progressing to the next level today."

Bylsma also said that defenseman Brooks Orpik, who underwent successful lower abdominal/hernia surgery on his right side on July 20, is also doing well.

"Orpik is recovering fine and doing well in that regard," Bylsma said.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

I bolded the things that I think are encouraging!

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...fb-pghpenguins

Quote:
Shero: Crosby Continues to Progress
Monday, 08.15.2011 / 12:46 PM / Features
By Michelle Crechiolo
Penguins center Sidney Crosby has been continuing with his usual summer workout routine and is progressing well in his recovery from a concussion he suffered in early January, according to Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

Crosby, who began his summer program of off-ice workouts after meeting with Dr. Michael Collins of UPMC on June 1 and has since added on-ice sessions to his training regimen, will be evaluated again about a week before training camp begins in September to determine his playing status.

“I think (Sidney) has progressed really well this summer,” Shero said, who talked to Crosby over the weekend. “He’s happy with his progress. Training camp is a month away, so there’s no expectation for me that he won’t be ready or will be ready. … He’s doing his usual routine. He’ll probably be in a week before camp starts, and we’ll evaluate him then to see how he’s doing.

“All in all, it’s been a good summer for him getting back home and really getting back into his workout routines on and off the ice, so we’ll see what the next month brings us for training camp and of course, Oct. 6 for the regular season.”

Crosby, who turned 24 on Aug. 7, has been working with his longtime trainer, Andy O’Brien, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

“The good news is that (Crosby) continues to work out and has worked out hard this summer," Shero said. "When he went back, he had a progression planned with his trainer, Andy O’Brien, that he’s gone through. So we’ll see where we are come training camp.”

Shero said that Crosby has experienced some occasional symptoms, but emphasized that those are related to how hard the Penguins captain has pushed himself -- which is good news in itself -- and that they are to be expected with an injury like this.

He pushed himself pretty hard this summer, which is the good news,” Shero said. “He’s never had to get to the point where he’s had to shut himself down or anything.”

While Crosby is in good spirits and is making positive steps in his progress, Shero also emphasized that the team will not rush the star center in his recovery.

“The thing for me and for the organization is the bigger picture with Sidney Crosby, making sure that he is 100 percent cleared and ready to play when he does come back,” Shero said. “He’s not going to be pushed to come back to practice or play.

“I want to make sure a year from now, three years from now, five years from now that he’s still the best player in the league and take the appropriate steps and back him, and go from there.”

MORE INJURY UPDATES: Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said that forward Dustin Jeffrey, who was sidelined with a knee injury on March 24, is doing "quite well" in his recovery and may be cleared to begin on-ice workouts today.

"Dustin Jeffrey is going to see the doctor today here in Pittsburgh to be hopefully cleared to skate," Bylsma sad. "He’s doing quite well and is hopefully progressing to the next level today."

Bylsma also said that defenseman Brooks Orpik, who underwent successful lower abdominal/hernia surgery on his right side on July 20, is also doing well.

"Orpik is recovering fine and doing well in that regard," Bylsma said.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
He's not on any kind of track according to Shero. They won't clear him if he's still having symptoms. If he's still having symptoms now, he could easily still be having symptoms in 6 weeks.

Shero's quotes indicate that they don't have any expectations that he'll be ready or that he won't be ready. If you read between the lines on Shero's quotes, it seems that based on the current situation there is a good chance he won't be ready.

I.e., still emphasizing the bigger picture, he won't be pushed, etc. He's laying the ground work for Sid not being ready, as if that's a strong possibility. That's disappointing.
Quit reading between lines. You're not good at it. If he's still experiencing symptoms in 6 weeks, obviously they won't clear him. That's always been the case, and the idea that he couldn't be having even mild symptoms while he ramped up his offseason workouts must be one that fans just wanted to ascribe to in order to feel better, because i haven't seen anything that has stated that he's been symptom-free for months, just that he's been following his normal workout routine. I had pretty much assumed that there'd be bad days, especially with the ups and downs the recovery period has gone through thus far. Apparently others were hoping for a perfect scenario where he just woke up one day and he was back to normal, but i never ascribed to that notion. Again, he's still following his regular workout routine, he's still training to be ready for training camp. If he doesn't continue to get better, it'll suck, but worry about it when that happens, not when he just isn't meeting your fantasy expectations for where you thought he should be by now based on nothing but speculation.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Xavier Laflamme*

Quote:
Quit reading between lines. You're not good at it. If he's still experiencing symptoms in 6 weeks, obviously they won't clear him. That's always been the case, and the idea that he couldn't be having even mild symptoms while he ramped up his offseason workouts must be one that fans just wanted to ascribe to in order to feel better, because i haven't seen anything that has stated that he's been symptom-free for months, just that he's been following his normal workout routine. I had pretty much assumed that there'd be bad days, especially with the ups and downs the recovery period has gone through thus far. Apparently others were hoping for a perfect scenario where he just woke up one day and he was back to normal, but i never ascribed to that notion. Again, he's still following his regular workout routine, he's still training to be ready for training camp. If he doesn't continue to get better, it'll suck, but worry about it when that happens, not when he just isn't meeting your fantasy expectations for where you thought he should be by now based on nothing but speculation.

A few alterations and Sid should be back to breaking records in no time...fantasy world deez nutzz!

Old
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I heard them say on the radio that Shero said that Crosby is on schedule, he has had some minor symptoms, but all of which were expected by his doctors, and has not effected his schedule or recovery in any way. And that they fully expect him to be ready to play from the preseason on. Basically he was saying that someone was blowing the expected natural course of events in a full recovery and playing from game one all out of proportion.
Cool.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

Quote:
Then why are you worried now? All we have to go on right now are vague inferences that all is well. Based on your criteria, you should be extremely happy right now. Sid is practicing, he's progressing, but Shero won't guarantee what will happen 2 months from now. Sounds like exactly what you want.
Who says I'm worried? You seem to have turned my original post on the subject into more than what it was. If you re-read my original post that you quoted to begin this discussion, I was simply saying that I won't be confident after hearing Bylsma's comments on the issue because he doesn't exactly have a spotless track record when it comes to his predictions of players returning from injury.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:59 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I just wanted to pick the most extreme scenario on that poll.

Closed Thread