HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ville Leino's market value? (Alex Tanguay contract)

Old
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Ville Leino's market value? (Alex Tanguay contract)

The Calgary flames just re-signed impending UFA left wing Alex Tanguay to a five-year, $17.5 million contract. That's a $3.5M AAV.

Flames general manager Jay Feaster says the front office decided that Tanguay was a better option than any of the available free agents on the market this summer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6703786

Tanguay and Leino could perhaps be seen as somewhat similarly valuable players. Tanguay does have 686 career points to his name and outscored Leino last year too, but he at 31 he is about four years older.

Could Leino be seeking an identical contract and does he deserve one? How does this contract influence his demands?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
PhilaFlyers

I don't want Leino on the Flyers at 3.5 mil.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
santapore

vCash: 50
i really want leino on this team. and i like all moves what have been done. very excited about next year 3.5mil sounds pretty high but for 50+ pointer its pretty normal i guess. i have full confident that leino will be flyer next year.

santapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:22 PM
dats81

I think 3.5 would be the upper limit of what he could probably get on the free market. But I doubt he could get it from a cup contender.

So there's still a pretty good chance he opts to stay with the Flyers.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I have a feeling Leino will be re-signed at $3.7 million. I think it will be an overpayment, but it's just a hunch. I honestly think he's worth $3.5 at the very most, but the organization seems to think very highly of him. Even Snider mentioned trying very hard to get Leino re-signed. If Leino can't be locked up at an affordable rate, I think Erik Cole will be the next target. Cole won the Cup with Laviolette several years ago, so I think he would be a good possibility. Laich would probably be the next target if Leino and Cole fall through. I don't think Gagne is in the cards, unfortunately. Each of these guys will probably sign in the $3.5-4.0 million range. The Tanguay contract would probably mark the low end of the spectrum for these players, mostly because his contract is relatively lengthy (5 years). Two- or three-year deals will probably cost a bit more in AAV.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:28 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I would much rather have Cole than Leino if we're spending 3.5-3.7 mil. Flyers want more size on the wings, and there are rumors they want Cole. Since it looks like Versteeg will be staying, I doubt Leino will be sticking around.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I have a feeling Leino will be re-signed at $3.7 million. I think it will be an overpayment, but it's just a hunch. I honestly think he's worth $3.5 at the very most, but the organization seems to think very highly of him. Even Snider mentioned trying very hard to get Leino re-signed. If Leino can't be locked up at an affordable rate, I think Erik Cole will be the next target. Cole won the Cup with Laviolette several years ago, so I think he would be a good possibility. Laich would probably be the next target if Leino and Cole fall through. I don't think Gagne is in the cards, unfortunately. Each of these guys will probably sign in the $3.5-4.0 million range. The Tanguay contract would probably mark the low end of the spectrum for these players, mostly because his contract is relatively lengthy (5 years). Two- or three-year deals will probably cost a bit more in AAV.

Snider also seemed to imply that signing Leino depended on the forward softening his demands:

Im hoping we can sign Leino, Snider said. It has nothing to do with cap room. In Leinos case, it has to do whether we can agree on a number with his agent [Bill Zito]. Wed like to sign him.

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/24/11/Sn...286&feedID=704

Old
06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

No. Thank. You.

At 3.5?

Erik Cole > Ville Leino

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
I don't get why people are all over Erik Cole. He's up and down for the most part, and gets banged around. At age 32, I take issue as to whether or not he holds up for what would likely be a 4-year deal.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
No. Thank. You.

At 3.5?

Erik Cole > Ville Leino
Erik Cole is 32, physical, and not always durable. I could very easily see Leino's next 5 years being better than Cole's next 5.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't get why people are all over Erik Cole. He's up and down for the most part, and gets banged around. At age 32, I take issue as to whether or not he holds up for what would likely be a 4-year deal.
I agree with you. I'm not saying I want him signed. I just think he's the back-up plan if Leino can't be signed affordably. I think Cole would be a failure in Philadelphia. However, I don't like Leino (especially at anything near what he is demanding) or Laich (he's good, but I think he'll be overpaid). Gagne would honestly be my top choice, nostalgia or not.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Erik Cole is 32, physical, and not always durable. I could very easily see Leino's next 5 years being better than Cole's next 5.
Then try and give him a 2-3 year deal.

We need veteran big bodied players, who can set up in front of the net and provide a boost and score 25-30 goals.

We DO NOT need any more pass first players. At some point, someone needs to actually put the puck IN the net

Old
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Haute Couturier

I think Leino gets $3.5-$4M. Probably from Brian Burke.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Amateur Hour

I'd rather have Laich the most out of all three.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I agree with you. I'm not saying I want him signed. I just think he's the back-up plan if Leino can't be signed affordably. I think Cole would be a failure in Philadelphia. However, I don't like Leino (especially at anything near what he is demanding) or Laich (he's good, but I think he'll be overpaid). Gagne would honestly be my top choice, nostalgia or not.
I think Gagne is the best player, but he's extremely fragile. The Flyers would need to be prepared for him to possibly miss 50% or more of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Then try and give him a 2-3 year deal.

We need veteran big bodied players, who can set up in front of the net and provide a boost and score 25-30 goals.

We DO NOT need any more pass first players. At some point, someone needs to actually put the puck IN the net
A 2-3 year deal could mean a much higher cap hit ($4M+). Briere has stated that he prefers a play-making winger such as Leino. Cole will probably score more goals than Leino, but Briere's goals will go down.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

IF Leino was smart he'd sign for 2.75 per..... I know he isn't going too....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Brooks Laich > Leino, Cole, etc.

Even if Laich wants $4M (and he'll get it) I'd rather have Laich. Character guy, solid two-way player and should be good for 20+ goals and 50+ points. Kills penalties, can play powerplay.

I think that's the team that Holmgren and the staff are trying to build. Young, talented stars (Giroux, JVR, Schenn, maybe Voracek) with complementary character guys who can play in all situations with goal-scoring upside (Versteeg, Simmonds).

If they can't sign Leino, I see a huge push for Laich being made.

JVR - Giroux - Laich
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Versteeg - Schenn - Simmonds

Interchangeable top-9...

phillyflyerfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Me too. We need someone who can kill penalties.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Really don't see the interest in laich. He's a good player, but he's not worth the cap hit he's going to get on the market.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:00 PM
xx2one5xx

With the loss of Richards and Carter I think you almost have to resign Leino unless he's looking for a ridiculous contract. Regardless of whether you like his play style or not, that line has been proven to work together and carried us for the better part of the season last year as well as the 09-10 cup run, you know exactly what you're getting with that line and I don't think we need anymore risks and question marks on this team by plugging a different player into Leino's spot especially if it's for a similar amount of money.

If Leino was not brought back and Briere started to struggle with a different winger we'd be in serious trouble, since that line was put together Briere has had ridiculous numbers, I'd bring Leino back for his sake alone.

Last edited by xx2one5xx: 06-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.
xx2one5xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Me too. We need someone who can kill penalties.
That's a good point about the PK, but I wouldn't overpay for it. We still have Giroux, Versteeg, Betts, Powe, Nodl and Simmonds who can PK.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Absolutely. I'm going to go ahead and assume we're not in on Brad Richards, or any other of these fantasies (Stamkos), Laich is the guy I want the most. Versatile, can play all 3 positions. Plays up and down the lineup, and high character guy. I'd rather pay him $3.5-$4M than Cole or Leino. I think he would be the perfect fit to put with Briere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2one5xx View Post
With the loss of Richards and Carter I think you almost have to resign Leino unless he's looking for a ridiculous contract. Regardless of whether you like his play style or not, that line has been proven to work together and carried us for the better part of the season last year as well as the 09-10 cup run, you know exactly what you're getting with that line and I don't think we need anymore risks and question marks on this team by plugging a different player into Leino's spot especially if it's for a similar amount of money.
Leino is a replaceable guy. You don't have to do anything with Leino unless it makes sense.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Absolutely. I'm going to go ahead and assume we're not in on Brad Richards, or any other of these fantasies (Stamkos), Laich is the guy I want the most. Versatile, can play all 3 positions. Plays up and down the lineup, and high character guy. I'd rather pay him $3.5-$4M than Cole or Leino.
The thing is, I think everyone would, and therefore he should be out of that price range.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The thing is, I think everyone would, and therefore he should be out of that price range.
He's still someone with just slightly better numbers. Not like I'm talking about a 70-point guy, and he would really help what is a delepeted defensive forward crew. The Flyers got Bryzgalov, so if there is another UFA target, they will set full sights on him.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:18 PM
FlyerX

Leino is a fine defensive forward, the best on the roster now. Briere was nothing but an even-strength catastrophe until Leino was put on his wing, essentially playing center in the D-zone. His weakness is he still dallies too much on the perimeter with the puck. Last year was really his first full NHL season in terms of regular play. He still has an NHL upside. You just have to put a price on that, the lower the better.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote