HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big move that Sbaicker and Eklund were reporting

Old
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
He'll have to balance more than 20 goals, since the team defense got considerably worse.
And our actual defensemen are on the decline.

07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
What major injuries did Boston have, other than Horton in game 2 of the Finals?

There's a connection between the answer to that question and the winner of the Cup.
The connection is having the grit, the heart & the determination to overcome obstacles to win the cup. The Flyers had none of the 3 things required, Boston had them all.

Flyers had those things the previous year, they were just unlucky to come up against a Hawks team that was better overall.

It's easy to say we lost to Boston because we weren't as healthy as they were, but the fact is the team was god awful since February, and it wasn't all down to injuries. They got complacent too.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
whskybarJM

im just going to blame this all on pronger.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
I)

It's hard to predict. The lower end of the scale could be about 208 goals from the forwards. Higher end of the scale could be about 233. Last year's forwards got 248. We're relying a lot on unknowns. Plus the defense coming from the forwards is MUCH worse this year.
Yep. this is something that a lot of people simply dont get. We traded away not only 2 of our best players but 2 players who were key players on the PK last year. We got players who at the very best are unknown at best ok the PK.

Simmonds is not a Pker.
Voracek isnt a PKer
Schenn is a huge question mark in that area of his game.

Versteeg was traded and basically replaced with Jagr.

So does this organization really believe that going with a group of Giroux,Hartnell,Talbot,Nodl,Betts and I guess we will have to add in JVR in there as well as un upgrade defensively at forward over what we had last year?
I am not buying it. We may score more thus year(trying to be optimistic here) but IMO we are going to give up more high end scoring chances.
Could we be better this year defensively? I dont know. I wouldnt bet on it personally.
Is anyone else frightened at the thought of some of these forwards out there against Crosby,Malkin,Parise,Brad Richards ect?
Hopefully Bryzgalov is up for it because he is going to see a lot of high scoring chances this year. Unless of course the Flyers make a move to make the team better at the forward position. Because right now there are many concerns and question marks. I refuse to drink the kool-aid provided by the Flyers front office.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
The connection is having the grit, the heart & the determination to overcome obstacles to win the cup. The Flyers had none of the 3 things required, Boston had them all.

Flyers had those things the previous year, they were just unlucky to come up against a Hawks team that was better overall.

It's easy to say we lost to Boston because we weren't as healthy as they were, but the fact is the team was god awful since February, and it wasn't all down to injuries. They got complacent too.
They absolutely got complacent and that killed them. That being said, if Pronger is healthy throughout the playoffs, I'm not so sure we're having the same discussions that we're having today.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
JABEE

I guess we're not doing anything to improve our team this year. Another wasted season with no chance of a cup. I am growing less optimistic that there is another shoe to drop and everyone seems to be moving on or going on vacation from Flyers news. The Flyers failed this offseason and blew up a competing team that only needed tweaks. Vokoun's contract cements that fact.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
JABEE

Sarah Baicker
I'm hearing another move may be on the horizon, but that there could be a few days before anything goes down. Stick by CSNPhilly for latest.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Sarah Baicker
I'm hearing another move may be on the horizon, but that there could be a few days before anything goes down. Stick by CSNPhilly for latest.
what a **** tease

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'd be suprised if another big move happened now. Unless we really do make a run at someone's RFAs.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:40 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
They've been replaced with the ultimate equalizer in Bryzgalov.
You meant the goalie with the 4.0+ GAA and .879 save percentage in the playoffs that couldnt even steal one game???

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Sorry to ask this of you, fellow Flyers fans, but if we do not get back on topic The Anton will be very displeased. He does not enjoy threads about him to be deferred to other things. This is King Anton's empire very soon if we treat him as the royalty he is, thus we should be overjoyed that The Chosen One will not unleash his wrath upon us. Carry on

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
I really don't understand why fans act like we had some Oilers'esque dynasty with 17 and 18. The team was a 6, 5, 7, and 2 seed the past four years that they made the playoffs. That's hardly anything to write home about.

They were smoked by Pittsburgh back to back years (with 17 and 18 doing very little), then lucked out into favorable matchups throughout the 2010 postseason (avoiding Washington and Pittsburgh) and got to the Finals. Then, after a strong first half, the team, under the leadership of Richards, tanked and got embarassed in the playoffs (in which both Carter and Richards were nowhere to be found).

Seriously, people act as though we lost Gretzky and Messier this offseason. Neither Richards or Carter deserve the cred they get.
Boston got embarrassed in the 2nd round last year....that core stayed together, that got the role players they needed (and healthy) made one significant move and I believe they had a pretty successful season this year keeping the core together....just imagine if they traded Krejci and Bergeron

Old
07-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
You meant the goalie with the 4.0+ GAA and .879 save percentage in the playoffs that couldnt even steal one game???

I feel safe with that guy, considering he's not the first goalie that team's ever made swiss cheese out of. This series does not represent the norm for Bryz.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Or Perhaps

This team was injury plagued(Richards&Carter included) and running on fumes after a long playoff run in the summer of 2010. Cartsy + Richy gave it their all every night despite being injured much of the year.

Crippling injuries to Pronger,Carter,Richards,Leino,LaPierre .

Terrible goaltending down the stretch.

Add in douch deluxe /goon Pronger wreaking havoc within the locker room.

If anything they should have sent the viral influence of Pronger out of town , instead of 2 of the better players in the NHL in Cartsy + Richy.

This team needed a tune-up not a dismantling.
I think it needed a little more than a tune up, I think one of the two needed to go...my vote would be Carter....but it certainly didnt need 10/11 player changed over, maybe more if they make more moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
I think you should also take into consideration JVR, who will probably explode this season, and we might actually have gained some goal production
I think he will, but even that, are you banking on more than 30 from him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Very true. Dont forget though, we have Lilja!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

Hawks team was better overall, but it was two things that killed us that series...Leighton and our 3rd defensive pairing

Many people forget to consider this when bashing Richards....I believe Toews was leading the playoffs in scoring before that series, Richards held him to 3 points.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:09 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I feel safe with that guy, considering he's not the first goalie that team's ever made swiss cheese out of. This series does not represent the norm for Bryz.
I know, he isnt that bad by any means....but he wasnt that great the year before either. He is certainly an upgrade, but I dont think he is our savior.....

Old
07-03-2011, 12:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Well technically Breezy's total playoff stats are 12 wins, 13 losses, 2.55 GAA, .917 sv%.

I dont think its entirely far to count just his Yotes stats.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Everything is bad.

Tank time!

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well technically Breezy's total playoff stats are 12 wins, 13 losses, 2.55 GAA, .917 sv%.

Yeah, he's going to do a lot better than he did in the Red Wings series. The problem is that some people are looking at him to be a savior. This team could be looking at a 30 goal drop-off from their forwards. Bob faced a little over 28 shots/game last year, meaning if he started 60 games, he'd have faced 1697 shots and have given up about 144 goals (based only on proportions). If we're losing 30 goals, Bryz has to save 30 more goals to break even. 114 goals on 1697 shots (conservative, as our defense will be worse this year) would be a .932 SV%. To compare, the top two goalies in SV% this past year were Thomas (.938) and Rinne (.930).

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:22 AM
mikedifr

Quote:

True....but he wasnt "the man" in Anaheim. A little different mindset when coming off the bench, and then when all the pressure is on you to be the man.

I am not 100% sold on him, but he is down at the bottom of my list of worries. I dont think he would lose us games, that for sure.

Old
07-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Everything is bad.

Tank time!

We have Shelley. All is well.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Sarah Baicker
If the media keeps throwing **** against the wall some of it is bound to stick.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Yeah, he's going to do a lot better than he did in the Red Wings series. The problem is that some people are looking at him to be a savior. This team could be looking at a 30 goal drop-off from their forwards. Bob faced a little over 28 shots/game last year, meaning if he started 60 games, he'd have faced 1697 shots and have given up about 144 goals (based only on proportions). If we're losing 30 goals, Bryz has to save 30 more goals to break even. 114 goals on 1697 shots (conservative, as our defense will be worse this year) would be a .932 SV%. To compare, the top two goalies in SV% this past year were Thomas (.938) and Rinne (.930).
Well you know what they say about "if" don't you?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:30 AM
King Fish

Stamkos or Parise? Place your bets!

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Its mindblowing what has happened to this franchise the past 2 weeks.
Good, because it was mind-blowing how lazy and disinterested the Richards-Carter regime was late last year (and the prior year). They were a disgrace for the last two months and any true Flyers fan would be pleased that they've been blown up.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Sarah Baicker
"Keep hitting refresh on our website!"

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote