HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big move that Sbaicker and Eklund were reporting

Old
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Stamkos or Parise? Place your bets!
Parise. And if it is, a lot more people are going to be pissed off than last week

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Good, because it was mind-blowing how lazy and disinterested the Richards-Carter regime was late last year (and the prior year). They were a disgrace for the last two months and any true Flyers fan would be pleased that they've been blown up.
Mind blowing for the fans began last summer when Gagne was forced out, Leighton was re-signed (and for too much money, Shelley was brought in (too much money, too much term) and Walker was picked up. If the fans had trouble buying in, just think how the players must have felt.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:52 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
"Keep hitting refresh on our website!"
Yup. I prefer her to everyone except Seravelli and Isaac but that's annoying. I'll just wait till something pops up on Twitter.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:01 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If the fans had trouble buying in, just think how the players must have felt.
I feel "the players" pain. And I am glad they are out of here.

Last year was a disgrace and the only logical action was the rip apart the nucleus.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 10:21 AM
MillerTime2181

Are there any other sources reporting of a potential move? Any new updates or rumored players involved?

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Jester

JXC is still bitter at the course of events known as Randy Jones' career spiraling the drain.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If the media keeps throwing **** against the wall some of it is bound to stick.
Yup, as I said in a different thread its just a ****ing stupid sideshow act now. Just don't even follow these idiots, don't give them a sense of accomplishment. It's so obvious they are attention ******/wanting hits given all that happened in the past few days. I don't remember it ever being as bad with as much fluff and made up ******** as there was this year. 'zeus back! 'zeus not back. 'zeus back. 'zeus sign in SJ but Coburn extension! No Coburn extension... COBURN FINALLY SIGNED...no no coburn extension. BIG TRADE! no big trade. DOUGHTY! wait STAMKOS...wait no...BRAD RICHARDS! Philly number 1 to get Richards.... Oh no it's calgary er scratch that NY...GAGNE BACK... no wait scratch that. Simmonds close! Simmonds not close... Wait no Simmonds is close... All ****ing night from these people 'in the Philly news.' How pathetic was it...

We need those inside sources that were posting here to come back :/

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
I feel "the players" pain. And I am glad they are out of here.

Last year was a disgrace and the only logical action was the rip apart the nucleus.
The disgrace started at the top and is more on Homer and Lavi than the players. Homer made stupid signings and lavi had a ton of dumb moves, starting with putting our biggest centre and best face off guy on wing. If your boss doesn't give you the tools to do your job properly, the job won't be done.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

I cannot do half of these trades in NHL 11!

Hey does any one else know how to get a job in hockey reporting by making things up or stating the obvious?

If you do let me know, I could tweet "A move might happen but if it does it is in two weeks or so, just say posted on csnphilly and look at our ads and listen to dean vagnocey for your money issues."

I miss the "leak", I serisouly laughed at the post but now I need to know who this man or women was!

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:24 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
The disgrace started at the top and is more on Homer and Lavi than the players. Homer made stupid signings and lavi had a ton of dumb moves, starting with putting our biggest centre and best face off guy on wing. If your boss doesn't give you the tools to do your job properly, the job won't be done.
Being honest, it is easy to keep blaming the coaching. But you have to acknowledge that Richards and Carter have already gone through 3 coaches in 6 years. If they went and fired Lavy, it would have shown that the team was run by the players, and the coaches were pretty much puppets. Now after this season, if its a bad one, then I can see Lavy being fired.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Well you know what they say about "if" don't you?
Right, I'm being pessimistic about our goalie having a season that has come along once in the past five years.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Being honest, it is easy to keep blaming the coaching. But you have to acknowledge that Richards and Carter have already gone through 3 coaches in 6 years. If they went and fired Lavy, it would have shown that the team was run by the players, and the coaches were pretty much puppets. Now after this season, if its a bad one, then I can see Lavy being fired.
That's the thing though, they didn't have to make drastic changes. All they needed was a goalie, a longer summer (Richards and Timonen had played the most games in the past year of all players), and health. Sign Bryzgalov/Vokoun, trade Versteeg to make room, and see what happens. The team didn't suddenly not want to win the cup after being there he previous year.

Old
07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Hitch getting fired had very little to do with the two of them. Stevens was just a **** NHL head coach, which was on display throughout his entire tenure.

This noise about last year being such an embarrassment is ridiculous. They played great throughout the majority of the year before the combination of injuries, lots of hockey in the past 12 months, etc. all caught up with them. Then they gutted it out past Buffalo despite the goaltending (known problem) blowing up in their face. The Boston series... hot team, and Lavy's decisions in that series were abysmal. How do you let Krejci murder you without matching him with Richards? I'm not saying we win that series, but we don't get swept with better coaching and goaltending.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Terence Peterman

It's entirely unfair to criticize them for the coaching. They didn't make the decisions to hire those guys, but they have to work with them more than anyone else. You can debate whether or not they should have reacted to their relationships with those coaches as they did, but that's all they can do.

And the part that really sucks is they still produced and progressed as individuals and as a team. They were on the cusp of winning the Stanley Cup at 25. That's absolutely absurd. They should've been given more time, because what they were doing was clearly working.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

It's amazing how so many people are willing/intellectually lazy enough to just ignore every other factor and say "whatevs yoo guyz, blayme richurds and cartur."

I can't wait to see who gets blamed when this team lives up to many of our expectations next season and exits the playoffs early.

07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
That's the thing though, they didn't have to make drastic changes. All they needed was a goalie, a longer summer (Richards and Timonen had played the most games in the past year of all players), and health. Sign Bryzgalov/Vokoun, trade Versteeg to make room, and see what happens. The team didn't suddenly not want to win the cup after being there he previous year.
I wasnt talking about the changes. I was talking about how we should have fired another coach since their 3rd one didnt work out.

But it has been said about a million times, I dont think getting rid of Richards and Carter was just stupid management. Thats how I feel anyway. Im trying to be unbiased to both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hitch getting fired had very little to do with the two of them. Stevens was just a **** NHL head coach, which was on display throughout his entire tenure.

This noise about last year being such an embarrassment is ridiculous. They played great throughout the majority of the year before the combination of injuries, lots of hockey in the past 12 months, etc. all caught up with them. Then they gutted it out past Buffalo despite the goaltending (known problem) blowing up in their face. The Boston series... hot team, and Lavy's decisions in that series were abysmal. How do you let Krejci murder you without matching him with Richards? I'm not saying we win that series, but we don't get swept with better coaching and goaltending.
In other words, its all the coaches fault? Sorry, but IMO, I dont believe that. Lavy did have some bad decisons during that series... but was it really all on him? Cant really ay anything about Carter cause well, he didnt play (literally). But how about the rest of the team? The TEAM as a whole didnt play well. It was not just the goaltending and coaching.

Let me ask you a question then. Should they go and fired the coach and get another coach? What happens after that coach doesnt work out in a year or 2?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
I wasnt talking about the changes. I was talking about how we should have fired another coach since their 3rd one didnt work out.

But it has been said about a million times, I dont think getting rid of Richards and Carter was just stupid management. Thats how I feel anyway. Im trying to be unbiased to both sides.
That's what I'm saying though, they didn't have to fire another coach. There's no rule in the NHL where you have to make a radical change after a disappointing year.

And yeah, I'm almost sure that Carter and Richards being traded was Snider's doing. Holmgren did not want to trade them, at least not Richards.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Did you just say something bad about Lavi?

Old
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's amazing how so many people are willing/intellectually lazy enough to just ignore every other factor and say "whatevs yoo guyz, blayme richurds and cartur."

I can't wait to see who gets blamed when this team lives up to many of our expectations next season and exits the playoffs early.
Roo and JVR duh. Trade em!

hckyplayer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:24 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

It's funny how how awesome Richards ("He has been a great leader and winner at every level!!!!") and Carter ("40 goal scorer!!! And I'd like to see you play on a broken foot!!!!") but when the team played poorly it was clear that they needed:

- a better coach ("they need a a full training camp with Lavi!!!")

- a better goaltender ("**** you Leighton!!!")

- a better shutdown fourth line ("We miss Lappy!!!")

- a better defense ("Carle is horrible!!!")

- veterans who weren't tired from the year before ("Timonen sure played a lot of that playoff run!!!")

- a better training staff ("They rushed Carter back with his broken foot!!!!")

- a better GM ("Holmgren's asset management is terrible!!!!")

- a better owner ("He was behind the trades!!!!")

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on.

In other words, Richards and Carter were great players and great leaders and all, they just needed to be surrounded by tons of other great people to win.

The people who spew this gibberish don't even see the inconsistency of it.

Last edited by JXC: 07-03-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Terence Peterman

But the moves made this offseason might make that a less frequent thing, seeing how it's gonna be a lot tougher for the team to cruise at 1st in the conference for an extended period.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 01:37 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This noise about last year being such an embarrassment is ridiculous.
They lost thirteen of their last twenty games (in March and April).

Old
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
It's funny how how awesome Richards ("He has been a great leader and winner at every level!!!!") and Carter ("40 goal scorer!!! And I'd like to see you play on a broken foot!!!!") but when the team played poorly it was clear that they needed:

- a better coach ("they need a a full training camp with Lavi!!!")

- a better goaltender ("**** you Leighton!!!")

- a better shutdown fourth line ("We miss Lappy!!!")

- a better defense ("Carle is horrible!!!")

- veterans who weren't tired from the year before ("Timonen sure played a lot of that playoff run!!!")

- a better training staff ("They rushed Carter back with his broken foot!!!!")

- a better GM ("Holmgren's asset management is terrible!!!!")

- a better owner ("He was behind the trades!!!!")

and so on

and so on

and so on

and so on.

In other words, Richards and Carter were great players and great leaders and all, they just needed to be surrounded by tons of other great people to win.

The people who spew this gibberish don't even see the inconsistency of it.
So I'm guessing you don't think that Mats Sundin was a great player, since he never won a Cup and was surrounded by questionable management in his career.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:54 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
So I'm guessing you don't think that Mats Sundin was a great player, since he never won a Cup and was surrounded by questionable management in his career.
I don't know.

Was he a Winner At Every Level like Mike Richards?

The point is that Mike Richards was to lead us to the Cup, just like he did in juniors, just like he did at the WJC, just like he did at the Olympics ().

He didn't.

At first, it was a big and slow blue line corps that held him back. So the Flyers got Timonen.

Then it was the clueless cakebaker coach who had no system. So we got Lavi!!! And Pronger, to go with Timonen.

Then it was the goalies' fault. Or Briere's fault. Or Carle's fault.

Boy JVR just isn't living up to expectations.

And Zherdev sure is lazy.

Ad nauseum.

It would have gone on forever. There was always someone else to blame for the Richards Fanboi Brigade.

I'm glad it's over.

Old
07-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
I don't know.

Was he a Winner At Every Level like Mike Richards?

The point is that Mike Richards was to lead us to the Cup, just like he did in juniors, just like he did at the WJC, just like he did at the Olympics ().

He didn't.

At first, it was a big and slow blue line corps that held him back. So the Flyers got Timonen.

Then it was the clueless cakebaker coach who had no system. So we got Lavi!!! And Pronger, to go with Timonen.

Then it was the goalies' fault. Or Briere's fault. Or Carle's fault.

Boy JVR just isn't living up to expectations.

And Zherdev sure is lazy.

Ad nauseum.

It would have gone on forever. There was always someone else to blame for the Richards Fanboi Brigade.

I'm glad it's over.
Would you really argue that the defense weren't riddled with injuries in 2008, the forwards performed up to expectations in 2009 (partly Richards and Carter's fault, partly the system's fault), the goaltending performed up to expectations in 2010 and the Pronger injury didn't affect the team in 2011?

I just wanted to see Richards and Carter get one shot with a proven goalie. If they failed this year, THEN consider making some big changes. The point is that the Flyers only had to sign Bryz, waive Shelley, and trade Versteeg to call it an offseason.