HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Line Predictions

Old
07-08-2011, 02:00 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
(to be clear, this is not a knock against you, GrabnerIsGod, just venting about the sentiment that things "cannot change")

The Islanders finished 20 POINTS behind the 8th place Rangers
The Islanders finished 12 POINTS behind the 10th place Leafs
They were 1 point from last place in the conference

We need to understand that whatever "worked" last year - actually DIDN'T WORK AT ALL.

Same can be said for the previous 2-3 years.

Why are we insistent on keeping things the way they are? HOPING FOR continued improvement, hoping for "no injuries this year", hoping for development of somewhat-disappointing draft choices to carry us forward.

hope hope hope all the time.

Parenteau scored 20 goals and 50 points. A career high. Great statistical year. Earned a new contract. GREAT. BUT, since the team finished 1 pt from DEAD LAST in the conference, maybe our 1st line RW who plays PP needs to score 30-40 goals and get 70-80 pts WHILE playing solid defensively and limiting scoring chances against. Because, that's not good enough.

Same can be said for Tavares. Hey, great job at improving your game, starting to show consistency, offensive flair, leadership, etc - but we need MORE from the #1 C if we're going to be a playoff team.

Same can be said for ALL THE PLAYERS - WHEN YOU FINISH NEAR BOTTOM.

Are we to assume that this team will get better "just because"? Do we continually build a team that cannot sustain an injury to one defenseman or one key forward? Did Montreal finish last missing Andrei Markov most the year and the playoffs? Even with a useless overpaid #1 C in Gomez?

The owner and the GM get an easy FREE PASS from the media (well, if there was any media) and the fans if we blindly accept the tanking strategy thrown at us for 3-4 years, evidenced strongly by the lowest possible payroll and cap hit.

I don't mean to knock PAP specifically or JT or suggest that the great progress made by SOME players last year needs to be dismissed. I think Grabner showed some serious skill and promise, love Okposo/JT/etc, but it sounds like many of us are HAPPY to trot out the same line-up, hoping for better results.

This was not a team that was anywhere close to a playoff spot. They were 20 points back of 8th place - that's completely absurd. You can point to injuries and the strong finish and tell yourself the most positive story possible - but this just clouds the harsh reality.

We become like the guy who convinces himself that his wife isn't cheating on him even after he sees the text messages, the late nights, the condom receipts and hotel receipts.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not suggesting I have the answers or that we "should have" signed this guy or that guy, traded for whomever - but this feeling that we have so many untouchables (players, lines, etc) and that we celebrate these personal success stories is annoying when it's accompanied by perennial lottery finishes and little/no action taken.

I seriously hope the Isles are able to add a couple of players before camp!
To contrast this some:

WHAT WORKED?

Our scoring.
Our backcheck after dip**** got canned and Cappy came in.

WHAT FAILED?

Our defensive game.
Our goaltending.

So the forward lines that worked....we had issues on line 1 with sub par defense but they are a scoring line that wasn't horroble but relies more on the pointmen than other lines.

Line 2 Bailey was MIA and Chuck Norris couldn't fly in and save him.

Line 3 was solid.

Line 4 was weak on D and scoring and a mish mosh but effective when used correctly. Count on Reasoner (the team's one move this summer) to make it a competitive but still tough and thus effective line.

What would I change? Nothing. Nino on Bailey's line gives Bailey two scorers and some grit to match or by far exceed Comeau's grit. Grabs and Nielson and Okposo all benefit from a fresh start by a not so underwhelming Okposo. Paps can score and is OK on D. Tavares has improved on his D and Moulson.....I hope starts taking in Tiger Milk. (may that be the LAST Charlie Sheen reference EVER!)

The keys are D and our goalie tandem(s). Streit is back but is he the first Streit we had or second? Either beats Hillen/Gervaise. MacDonald and Hamonic are keys. The rest? We shall see....but DP in net will be their and the team's ACHILLES HEEL.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
I don't see Nielsen having a breakout year. I think the role and performance he gives now on a nightly basis is about all we can realistically expect-and there's nothing wrong with that. He's an excellent 3rd line center-and some guys are just that their whole careers.

Nice with a touch of realism....

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
islandersfreak21

Moulson-John Tavares-EL Nino
Grabner- Franz Nielson- Kyle Okposo
Comeau- Bailey- PAP
Martin- Reasoner-Haley

My breakout player for this season is 3 players actually; Comeau I feel can produce 30 if he gets some more TOI, Josh Bailey I think gets 40 points this year, and Grabner who can gets 40-45 goals if he doessn't miss more than half of his chances. All in all the Defence needs another Streit and we are in playoff contender.

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandersfreak21 View Post
Moulson-John Tavares-EL Nino
Grabner- Franz Nielson- Kyle Okposo
Comeau- Bailey- PAP
Martin- Reasoner-Haley
I have those EXACT lines! Nice job.

On D:

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Jurcina
Eaton-Wishart
Mottau

Then Montoya and Dipi.

I disagree that this is a playoff team though, not even sure a D upgrade would get it done. I predict a 10th place Eastern Conference finish and we'll be selecting somewhere around 10th overall in the draft next year. After that hopefully DP retires and we can make a real run at the playoffs after progression from some of the youngsters in Bridgeport, juniors, College and Europe.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Redbull, the problem was not scoring. It was the defense and the goaltending.

Anyway, I'd go with this.

Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Comeau-Bailey-Niedereitter
Martin-Reasoner-Hunter
Haley/Gillies

Streit-Eaton
Hamonic-MacDonald
Jurcina-Wishart
Mottau

Montoya-Dipietro-Nabokov?

I expect Nabokov to be traded for a 3rd rounder to Detroit. Yeah, Detroit . Also, I expect a Dman to be traded for. Bump back Eaton to be paired with Jurcina and send Wishart along with Mottau to the press box. Both are easily done. Nabokov could be had for less of course and to another team but I know Detroit is searching for goaltending and obviously had interest in Nabokov mere months ago.

Then there is a roster problem, there 24 players on the 23 man roster. Easy fix, just send one of Haley or Gillies down. It wouldn't surprise me if someone was hurt at that point, and put on IR giving some room though.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
jerseyislander22

Barring any trades that could see some of the forwards or defenseman change the lines are going to look pretty simmilar I would think. I think nino bar a horrible camp and pre season will be an islander and I think kabanov might get a look the usual 9 games. That being said heres my line up at forward:

1st line
Moulson-----Tavares------Okposo
KO needs to come up to the top line and start scoring more goals. That line will generate at least 80 goals and could go upwards to 100 and change with more development of the three. Besides the goal scoring potential KO can help with the backchecking which he has shown himself to be more then capable of doing so. Like to see the plus minus of that line be a plus instead of a drastic minus for a change of pace.

2nd line/3rd line
Grabner-----Neilsen-------Nino
Ideally Neilsen anchors the third line checking line that frustrates other top lines. Fransy is a great defensive player and also with the addition of grabner has found great chemistry not only at even strength, but on the PK as well. Nino depending on how much muscle he gains this summer is gonna be an asset to this line up to help open things up for them more. This line is fast, strong and defensively sound. Not to mention is the (Break-away-a-game-line)

3rd/2nd line
Comeau-----Bailey-------PAP
Beleive it or not this line could be the line of breakout players. Pap has shown he's capable of putting up some points. Now hes gotta show he can do it without JT centering him. Comeau has only gotten better every year and if this is the year he realizes what he has to do every game in order to put the numbers on the board so be it. Bailey being rushed to the NHL has defiantly showed in the 3 years he has played. On the other hand at the beginning of the season we saw Bailey and Comeau look like the Sedins racking up points with ease at times. If this is Josh's years to break out his linemates are going to benefit.

4th line
Matt Martin------Marty Reasoner----(Haley, Gillies, Hunter....)
I think Martin evuantally works his way up to the 3rd line, but he'll probably start the season on the 4th. Love the way martin plays, just has to stay discplined and chip in a bit more offensively to break that 3rd line. Reasoner was brought in for 4th line duty, but again can jump up to anchor the 3rd line as well. Insert random right wing because depending on the game will depend on who is in. I think Hunter is done, and its a shame because he used to be one of my favorite players, but he's to slow and he doesn't put the puck in the net enough to take away time from the young guys. Gillies could be up depending on who were playing just in case someone really needs to get pummeled. Haley is just fun to watch gotta love the guy hope he keeps it up for 11/12 year.

Defense:
Streit----AMAC
This is your two way line and it's a pretty good one at that. I think Streit and AMAC will compliment eachother very well and AMAC will benefit from having a veteran as his partner. They'll help keep the play moving forward and also play sound defense. A year older AMAC will be a little more prepared for the moves that foiled him last year.

Jurcina-----Hamonic
If jurcina will use his body this line will crush guys and also has decent offensive upside. Jurcina has a heck of a shot and Hamonic could turn out to put up decent numbers as well. Maybe the two will rub off on eachother and Hamonic will be a little more responsible and not take bad penalties.... Jurcina on the other hand just needs to keep hitting and using his big body to punsih the forwards. Although with the hipcheck suddenly being a penalty who knows...

Eaton-----(Wishart/Mottau)
Would love to have the Stanley cup champ in the lineup for the full season and help bolster some more veteran presence in this young lineup. Also he's a sound defenseman and although not a 1 or 2 is defiantly capable of being a second pair defenseman and more then capable of being a third pair. Not sure what Mottau will bring to the table and would love to see Wishart get some games in this year as I still think Dehann and the other D need more time. Wishart though has a shot at cracking the lineup or at least being a call up.

Goalie Hydra:
DP
I wont say to much here, but I am a DP supporter and want more then anything to see this guy make a comeback and be healthy. He has awesome puck moving skills and can put up good even great numbers when healthy. Who didn't love the projected war saga of brodeur lundqvist and DP. It remains to be seen if he can be healthy, but he is gonna get as many starts as he can handle you can be sure of that.

Montoya
Totally came out of nowhere and when the trade was made kinda just thought um okay. He defiantly showed some awesome stuff and is a big reason why we picked fifth and not first overall... Like Ryan strome but without him... we'd probably have nugent-hopkins haha. Defiantly need Montoya to continue that success cuz he is going to up as well.

Nabokov
Nothing good about this except hopefully him playing well and providing us some trade value in return. Can't bash the guy to much for wanting to play in detroit and not here. He's old and just wants a cup handed to him ... Sure he could help us win a decent amount of games, but he'll be gone to the first decent offer that snow gets for him.

Poulin
This guy is a future starter that much seems evident. He'll probably even deserve to start the year up with the big club, but will most likely end up in the AHL getting the bulk of starts there. I know theres a lot of Poulin fans out there so don't worry you'll see him action before Christmas, but maybe not as soon as Thanksgiving.

Rookies most likely to be call ups:
Wishart, DeHann, Rakhshani, Ullstrom, Cizikas maybe Donnovan.

jerseyislander22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:28 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Redbull, the problem was not scoring. It was the defense and the goaltending.
from Oct 23 to Dec 13th the NYI played 21 games, won ONCE. They scored 36 goals in those 21 games. This was essentially the SAME TEAM that finished the year.

This is also a team that finished with 1 win in their last 8 games, scoring 21 goals.

Yes, there are injuries, circumstances (coaching), etc - but I'm not completely sold that the actual team is any better. We can choose to point to only certain points of the season when evaluating what we have, but I don't think it's responsible to ignore a 21 game stretch when the rest of the conference was really battling for a playoff spot, nor the last 8 games when they were "healthy".

I think the team suffered on offense AND defense AND in goal. Ironically, I think goaltending was probably a BRIGHT SPOT relative to how bad the rest of the team was at times. Especially compared to the Danis/JMac of the year before!

I think the forwards were awful DEFENSIVELY (with a few exceptions) and other forwards were awful OFFENSIVELY at times. The defense was simply non-existent, mostly due to severe injuries to their best defenders. Simply far too much to overcome - and the biggest contributor to the W-L record by far.

I'll leave coaching aside for the time being because I'm not sure how much of the improvements on the team were Capuano or Okposo & his impact on Nielsen/Grabner or Hamonic/AMac or Tavares' emergence.

I HOPE some of these improvements are actual, sustainable improvements, that will help the team. I think some of them really are.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
In that beginning stretch they were without a healthy Okposo and Grabner hadn't broken out yet. Those are two huge factors. Grabner had 25 goals in his last 40 games and 40 points in his last 40 games. That's incredible. And this team did not finish healthy. Look at this defense at the last game of the year.

Hamonic-Wishart
Martinek-Katic
Reese-Sims

That's awful.

I still believe DP is the biggest problem. 8-14-4 with a .886 SV% and a 3.44 GAA? For 4.5 million? That and injuries on the backend.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
In that beginning stretch they were without a healthy Okposo and Grabner hadn't broken out yet. Those are two huge factors. Grabner had 25 goals in his last 40 games and 40 points in his last 40 games. That's incredible. And this team did not finish healthy. Look at this defense at the last game of the year.

Hamonic-Wishart
Martinek-Katic
Reese-Sims

That's awful.

I still believe DP is the biggest problem. 8-14-4 with a .886 SV% and a 3.44 GAA? For 4.5 million? That and injuries on the backend.

No way Kevin, this team was awful for a 21 game stretch in November, they will be terrible forever.

The reality of it is, the team is somewhere in the middle. Not nearly as bad offensively as redbull wants to believe, but I'm not expecting a 50 goal pace from Grabner from Game 1 through Game #82.

The team is a work in progress, It's still a young team, with youth comes inconsistency. I realize that's stating the obvious but from reading some of the comments in this thread you would think it's a new theory.

And FWIW Gordon is one of the worst coaches around, the team simply didn't get "it" or didn't want to get "it". He cost them a lot of games and a lot of goals.

KISS.... keep it simple stupid.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:40 PM
1 Timer

Did anyone hear KO make the comment that "we finally drafted a right handed center" When he and strome were being interviewed at the draft. Maybe he doesn't get good looks from JT.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:02 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Nino
Comeau-Bailey-Parenteau
Martin-Reasoner-Hunter

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
No way Kevin, this team was awful for a 21 game stretch in November, they will be terrible forever.

The reality of it is, the team is somewhere in the middle. Not nearly as bad offensively as redbull wants to believe, but I'm not expecting a 50 goal pace from Grabner from Game 1 through Game #82.

The team is a work in progress, It's still a young team, with youth comes inconsistency. I realize that's stating the obvious but from reading some of the comments in this thread you would think it's a new theory.

And FWIW Gordon is one of the worst coaches around, the team simply didn't get "it" or didn't want to get "it". He cost them a lot of games and a lot of goals.

KISS.... keep it simple stupid.
Defense first - Al Arbour
Keep skating no matter what and stay in the offensive zone - Scott Gorton

Gordon is beyond horrid, so thank the heavens he's finally GONE!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
rocketxav9

did you resigned jack hillen ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
did you resigned jack hillen ?
no he was not extended a qualifying offer

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Bergeron47

I came to this thread amist a fantasy league draft, and find it perplexing that Parenteau is either going to be one the first line with Tavares, or the 3rd/4th line with grinders. What's the deal?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I came to this thread amist a fantasy league draft, and find it perplexing that Parenteau is either going to be one the first line with Tavares, or the 3rd/4th line with grinders. What's the deal?
Many fans don't like the guy and although he seems to gel to a certain capacity with Moulson and JT, they can't stand that this team hasn't gone about upgrading that position, especially considering many feel that in Okposo (who seemed to gel well with Grabner-Nielsen), the team already has a guy who they feel should inherently be placed on JT's line.

I personally don't think JT and Okposo clicked very well during JT's rookie year, even if the stats were alright. Don't see Niederreiter or Hunter being an answer there this upcoming season.

My tip: Assume that PAP is STARTING the season on JT's line. I don't think Capuano is changing that until a much better option comes along or until that line should go on an 8-10 game slump. Heck, even if the Isles were to sign Yashin (bear with me), I think Alexei would first be placed with Comeau and Bailey before they'd replace Parenteau on JT's line.

The fear of this train of thought is shared by many posters here, because Parenteau's game has plenty of holes. Folks here would prolly love the guy if he was producing those 50 points for around a million per on any line other than JT's.

It's kind of a hate by association thing.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Many fans don't like the guy and although he seems to gel to a certain capacity with Moulson and JT, they can't stand that this team hasn't gone about upgrading that position, especially considering many feel that in Okposo (who seemed to gel well with Grabner-Nielsen), the team already has a guy who they feel should inherently be placed on JT's line.

I personally don't think JT and Okposo clicked very well during JT's rookie year, even if the stats were alright. Don't see Niederreiter or Hunter being an answer there this upcoming season.

My tip: Assume that PAP is STARTING the season on JT's line. I don't think Capuano is changing that until a much better option comes along or until that line should go on an 8-10 game slump. Heck, even if the Isles were to sign Yashin (bear with me), I think Alexei would first be placed with Comeau and Bailey before they'd replace Parenteau on JT's line.

The fear of this train of thought is shared by many posters here, because Parenteau's game has plenty of holes. Folks here would prolly love the guy if he was producing those 50 points for around a million per on any line other than JT's.

It's kind of a hate by association thing.
Thanks for the insight!

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote