HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
ish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Or he retires. People just wanna *****. We became a better team today. Is there risk involved in signing a 31 year old player for 9 years? Of course. But sooner or later, you have to roll the dice.
Sooner or later you have to roll the dice? We roll the dice more than any team in the league. We have for a long time. Is considering consequences of actions a terrible idea?

Do I think we're better? Absolutely. Am I worried about that hit in the second half of the contract? Yes.

Last edited by ish: 07-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
DekeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No need to worry. There's enough room for 2M raises to Dubi and Cally, and 1M+ raises to Anisimov, Boyle and Sauer....AND still have 3M in space remaining to play with. Things are good in Rangerland at the moment.

And that is the reason some think that the sign goes out for a LW via trade.

Old
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Maybe its because its the weekend and a holiday weekend at that - but im shocked that TSN, NHL Network, Sportsnet - the Rangers site or any big canadian hockey site has any video up on the Richards signing.

It was Richards 24/7 the last 3 days and once he signed you have to search around to find video material, weird. No interviews, any reporters on the site or at MSG. I'm sure stuff will start coming out soon. But no video on the signing on TSN all day??? Not even a feed from sportscentre?

Old
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
**** Devils fans.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Maybe its because its the weekend and a holiday weekend at that - but im shocked that TSN, NHL Network, Sportsnet - the Rangers site or any big canadian hockey site has any video up on the Richards signing.

It was Richards 24/7 the last 3 days and once he signed you have to search around to find video material, weird. No interviews, any reporters on the site or at MSG. I'm sure stuff will start coming out soon. But no video on the signing on TSN all day??? Not even a feed from sportscentre?
Typical anti-Rangers bias. I can assure you if the Leafs signed him they would be all over it.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Leafs board is great for the lulz before he announced his decision they pretty much pegged him as the savior of their franchise.

Now they say he sucks and are happy he didn't sign there.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:02 PM
broadwayblue

Does Richards get a letter at some point? He wore an A in Dallas.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Still in a bit of a daze about this signing. My little brother & my dad, elated, woke me up a little after 11 with the news and it's still sinking in. We... we have a #1 centre! A bonafide, arguably elite, number... one... centre.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Leafs board is great for the lulz before he announced his decision they pretty much pegged him as the savior of their franchise.

Leaf fans are hilarious.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Does Richards get a letter at some point? He wore an A in Dallas.
He should. Dubi and Staal can fight over the last A.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
DudleyDoWright5

Send a message via AIM to DudleyDoWright5
I know I'm late, but this is awesome news to wake up to!!!!!

Old
07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Leaf fans are hilarious.
Yeah, we really should all be friendly and congratulate them on signing Connolly.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's a solid deal. 8 years would have been a little bit easier to deal with, but really, the last 2-3 years on this deal are irrelevant. Fact of the matter is now we have one of the better playmaking centers in the league at a reasonable cap hit and we can expect 3-5 years of elite/very good play out of him. With our refusal to rebuild and get very high first round picks, this is really the only way we were going to have a chance to contend while Lunqvist was still in his prime.
If you only think Richards will be elite for 3-5 years and you think the last 2-3 years will be irrelevant, then how is it a solid deal?

This deal is too long. What is Richards, the 30th best player in the league, maybe? People are acting like we just got Stamkos. Nothing less than a Cup will validate this deal. Are we now a top 5 contender? I don't think many people would say we are.

Ok, he supposedly left $7M on the table from Calgary. What is $7M to Brad Richards when he'll have made $90-$100M when his career is over? Can we once tell someone, "Oh, you really want to play in NY? You've always wanted to be here? Here's our offer. If you want ____, go elsewhere."

I don't dislike Richards. He obviously has a great resume with the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Memorial Cup. I love this team and I hope I'm wrong but if we never win a Cup, a 6.6M hit for Richards at 37, 38, 39, and 40 will be rough.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Richards is a tenacious little ****er who'll rack up points and goals without being that noticeable on the ice. Definition of a silent assassin.

This is him in the cup finals, watch starting at :53 mark. He'll just sneak behind and boom, goals.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
If you only think Richards will be elite for 3-5 years and you think the last 2-3 years will be irrelevant, then how is it a solid deal?

This deal is too long. What is Richards, the 30th best player in the league, maybe? People are acting like we just got Stamkos. Nothing less than a Cup will validate this deal. Are we now a top 5 contender? I don't think many people would say we are.

Ok, he supposedly left $7M on the table from Calgary. What is $7M to Brad Richards when he'll have made $90-$100M when his career is over? Can we once tell someone, "Oh, you really want to play in NY? You've always wanted to be here? Here's our offer. If you want ____, go elsewhere."

I don't dislike Richards. He obviously has a great resume with the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Memorial Cup. I love this team and I hope I'm wrong but if we never win a Cup, a 6.6M hit for Richards at 37, 38, 39, and 40 will be rough.
It's a solid deal because we're getting a #1 center still in his prime for a sub 7M cap hit. Even if he only gives us 3 great years and then 2 or 3 average years it's a very solid deal. He gets 50M of the 60M in the first 5 years...so if he's on a drurious decline at age 35 he can retire or be bought out and we don't have to worry about years 6-9. There's really nothing to complain about. The player fills a big need...he's in the prime of his career...and we didn't have to give up a single asset to get him. It's a no-brainer really.

Furthermore, we still have cap space to sign all our RFAs AND make a move for a top line LW as well. We're not that many pieces away from being a legit contender.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Blazephr

This is why Rupp, Prust & Avery need to dress every single game.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:23 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Yeah, we really should all be friendly and congratulate them on signing Connolly.
I cant believe Connolly went there. The fans and press will torture him mercilessly

Old
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
This is why Rupp, Prust & Avery need to dress every single game.

Why so he can slap Clutterbuck and then run trying to draw a penalty? I don't know where people get this idea that Avery is a tough guy. He's an irritant with the biggest mouth in the NHL, and that serves it's purpose, but he's hardly a fighter or a guy I'd want protecting my stars.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
ish

Quote:
It's a solid deal because we're getting a #1 center still in his prime for a sub 7M cap hit. Even if he only gives us 3 great years and then 2 or 3 average years it's a very solid deal. He gets 50M of the 60M in the first 5 years...so if he's on a drurious decline at age 35 he can retire or be bought out and we don't have to worry about years 6-9. There's really nothing to complain about. The player fills a big need...he's in the prime of his career...and we didn't have to give up a single asset to get him. It's a no-brainer really.

Furthermore, we still have cap space to sign all our RFAs AND make a move for a top line LW as well. We're not that many pieces away from being a legit contender.
It doesn't matter that the latter years of the deal have lower salary, the cap hit goes by the average. Unless there's some mechanism in future CBAs to get around old deals, we could easily get screwed. We have to hope the league gives amnesty on these deals that will surely be illegal a year from now.

I love the look of our team now. I just hope we're not cursing this in 2019.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

There are a lot of tweets that are on Twitter based on comments from Brad Richards.

I'll put up whatever I can.

Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Richards: "It's not easy to say no to people that are talking, terms, the offers that are being made are very flattering." "I wanted to give everybody the respect, especially the people that showed up." There's lots of factors. All the options at the end of the day were very good. To play with an Original 6 team is something I haven't done."
Quote:
EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek
Brad Richards: lots of factors. original 6 team. stable ownership. i've seen how Torts operates. It works. i've seen it firsthand.
Quote:
Says he's excited to meet, and play with, Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky. Called #Rangers hard to play against last year. 100% after concussions last year, been training for 6 weeks and ahead of training schedule from previous seasons because he's healthy.
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Richards: "I’ve seen how Torts operates...it (current Rangers) kinda reminds me what he was doing with us (in Tampa)."
Quote:
Richards says it was important to him to get closer to the East. His grandfather is 93, "wasn't too happy about west coast games."
Quote:
DaveLozo Dave Lozo
Richards said he started thinking about becoming a Ranger back in May when he and the Stars knew they were parting ways.
Quote:
Torts talked to Richards last night. Said: "If you want to come play for me, great. If you don't, don't bother talking to me!" Torts: He just fits what we need with our club. He brings a lot of those things to our club." Torts says now that his assets have grown, they can make a run at it.
Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Torts on Richards: "He just fits. There are things we need within club and he brings quite a few of those things."

Quote:
drosennhl Dan Rosen
Richards said Tortorella didn't have to sell him on the Rangers because he already knows what Tortorella is doing with the Rangers. Richards on Torts: "He's the type of guy that if you want to come play for me that's good but if you don't don't bother talking to me."

Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Torts: "He brings quite a few of the things we need...He just fits." Torts: "At end of the day we're a better hockey club...still have some needs."

Quote:
Torts: Needed to fill some main points: Top center, top PP QB, also thinks Richards will help with "mentoring" the kids. Nickname: "Richie"

Quote:
Torts on Richards wearing the C: "We haven't even gotten that far."

07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Why so he can slap Clutterbuck and then run trying to draw a penalty? I don't know where people get this idea that Avery is a tough guy. He's an irritant with the biggest mouth in the NHL, and that serves it's purpose, but he's hardly a fighter or a guy I'd want protecting my stars.
there's no amount of fighting that will stop Richards from getting hit, but Avery will stand up for his teammates.

Old
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM
cenas*

Where are you getting this 6.33 thing?

Old
LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post

Not me man, good signing.

Old
17futurecap

GMillerTSN

Richards year by year: $12m, $12m, $9m, $8.5m, $8.5m, $7m, $1m, $1m, $1m. $10m SB+$2m the salary first year, $8m SB + $4m salary the second

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Sather: We think it was a great opportunity for us. He left a lot of money on the table by accepting our offer from NY." Won't discuss whether there's a NMC/NTC. Came in with a good offer, "tweaked" it, "took a long time."
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Sather: "We needed someone like this to take us to the next step. I know he's left a lot of money on the table."
Quote:
GMillerTSN Gord Miller
Richards year by year: $12m, $12m, $9m, $8.5m, $8.5m, $7m, $1m, $1m, $1m. $10m SB+$2m the salary first year, $8m SB + $4m salary the second
Quote:
still comtemplating some things. "Now need to get the rest of our players signed."

Quote:
Sather believes team can take care of RFAs in the "next couple of weeks."

Closed Thread