HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Brad Richards (9 Years, $6.67M Per)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
  #526
ish
Registered User
 
ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Or he retires. People just wanna *****. We became a better team today. Is there risk involved in signing a 31 year old player for 9 years? Of course. But sooner or later, you have to roll the dice.
Sooner or later you have to roll the dice? We roll the dice more than any team in the league. We have for a long time. Is considering consequences of actions a terrible idea?

Do I think we're better? Absolutely. Am I worried about that hit in the second half of the contract? Yes.


Last edited by ish: 07-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
ish is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
  #527
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No need to worry. There's enough room for 2M raises to Dubi and Cally, and 1M+ raises to Anisimov, Boyle and Sauer....AND still have 3M in space remaining to play with. Things are good in Rangerland at the moment.

And that is the reason some think that the sign goes out for a LW via trade.

DekeR is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
  #528
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,857
vCash: 500
Maybe its because its the weekend and a holiday weekend at that - but im shocked that TSN, NHL Network, Sportsnet - the Rangers site or any big canadian hockey site has any video up on the Richards signing.

It was Richards 24/7 the last 3 days and once he signed you have to search around to find video material, weird. No interviews, any reporters on the site or at MSG. I'm sure stuff will start coming out soon. But no video on the signing on TSN all day??? Not even a feed from sportscentre?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
  #529
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
**** Devils fans.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
  #530
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Maybe its because its the weekend and a holiday weekend at that - but im shocked that TSN, NHL Network, Sportsnet - the Rangers site or any big canadian hockey site has any video up on the Richards signing.

It was Richards 24/7 the last 3 days and once he signed you have to search around to find video material, weird. No interviews, any reporters on the site or at MSG. I'm sure stuff will start coming out soon. But no video on the signing on TSN all day??? Not even a feed from sportscentre?
Typical anti-Rangers bias. I can assure you if the Leafs signed him they would be all over it.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:02 PM
  #531
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 373
Leafs board is great for the lulz before he announced his decision they pretty much pegged him as the savior of their franchise.

Now they say he sucks and are happy he didn't sign there.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:02 PM
  #532
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,613
vCash: 500
Does Richards get a letter at some point? He wore an A in Dallas.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:03 PM
  #533
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Still in a bit of a daze about this signing. My little brother & my dad, elated, woke me up a little after 11 with the news and it's still sinking in. We... we have a #1 centre! A bonafide, arguably elite, number... one... centre.


Mint Berry Crunch is online now  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:03 PM
  #534
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Leafs board is great for the lulz before he announced his decision they pretty much pegged him as the savior of their franchise.

Now they say he sucks and are happy he didn't sign there.
Leaf fans are hilarious.

Loffen is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
  #535
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Does Richards get a letter at some point? He wore an A in Dallas.
He should. Dubi and Staal can fight over the last A.

Loffen is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:05 PM
  #536
DudleyDoWright5
Registered User
 
DudleyDoWright5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey.
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DudleyDoWright5
I know I'm late, but this is awesome news to wake up to!!!!!

DudleyDoWright5 is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
  #537
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Leaf fans are hilarious.
Yeah, we really should all be friendly and congratulate them on signing Connolly.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:07 PM
  #538
ish
Registered User
 
ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's a solid deal. 8 years would have been a little bit easier to deal with, but really, the last 2-3 years on this deal are irrelevant. Fact of the matter is now we have one of the better playmaking centers in the league at a reasonable cap hit and we can expect 3-5 years of elite/very good play out of him. With our refusal to rebuild and get very high first round picks, this is really the only way we were going to have a chance to contend while Lunqvist was still in his prime.
If you only think Richards will be elite for 3-5 years and you think the last 2-3 years will be irrelevant, then how is it a solid deal?

This deal is too long. What is Richards, the 30th best player in the league, maybe? People are acting like we just got Stamkos. Nothing less than a Cup will validate this deal. Are we now a top 5 contender? I don't think many people would say we are.

Ok, he supposedly left $7M on the table from Calgary. What is $7M to Brad Richards when he'll have made $90-$100M when his career is over? Can we once tell someone, "Oh, you really want to play in NY? You've always wanted to be here? Here's our offer. If you want ____, go elsewhere."

I don't dislike Richards. He obviously has a great resume with the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Memorial Cup. I love this team and I hope I'm wrong but if we never win a Cup, a 6.6M hit for Richards at 37, 38, 39, and 40 will be rough.

ish is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  #539
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Richards is a tenacious little ****er who'll rack up points and goals without being that noticeable on the ice. Definition of a silent assassin.



This is him in the cup finals, watch starting at :53 mark. He'll just sneak behind and boom, goals.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  #540
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
If you only think Richards will be elite for 3-5 years and you think the last 2-3 years will be irrelevant, then how is it a solid deal?

This deal is too long. What is Richards, the 30th best player in the league, maybe? People are acting like we just got Stamkos. Nothing less than a Cup will validate this deal. Are we now a top 5 contender? I don't think many people would say we are.

Ok, he supposedly left $7M on the table from Calgary. What is $7M to Brad Richards when he'll have made $90-$100M when his career is over? Can we once tell someone, "Oh, you really want to play in NY? You've always wanted to be here? Here's our offer. If you want ____, go elsewhere."

I don't dislike Richards. He obviously has a great resume with the Cup, Conn Smythe, and Memorial Cup. I love this team and I hope I'm wrong but if we never win a Cup, a 6.6M hit for Richards at 37, 38, 39, and 40 will be rough.
It's a solid deal because we're getting a #1 center still in his prime for a sub 7M cap hit. Even if he only gives us 3 great years and then 2 or 3 average years it's a very solid deal. He gets 50M of the 60M in the first 5 years...so if he's on a drurious decline at age 35 he can retire or be bought out and we don't have to worry about years 6-9. There's really nothing to complain about. The player fills a big need...he's in the prime of his career...and we didn't have to give up a single asset to get him. It's a no-brainer really.

Furthermore, we still have cap space to sign all our RFAs AND make a move for a top line LW as well. We're not that many pieces away from being a legit contender.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
  #541
Blazephr
Registered User
 
Blazephr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont - NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
This is why Rupp, Prust & Avery need to dress every single game.



Blazephr is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:23 PM
  #542
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, we really should all be friendly and congratulate them on signing Connolly.
I cant believe Connolly went there. The fans and press will torture him mercilessly

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
  #543
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
This is why Rupp, Prust & Avery need to dress every single game.

Why so he can slap Clutterbuck and then run trying to draw a penalty? I don't know where people get this idea that Avery is a tough guy. He's an irritant with the biggest mouth in the NHL, and that serves it's purpose, but he's hardly a fighter or a guy I'd want protecting my stars.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  #544
ish
Registered User
 
ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's a solid deal because we're getting a #1 center still in his prime for a sub 7M cap hit. Even if he only gives us 3 great years and then 2 or 3 average years it's a very solid deal. He gets 50M of the 60M in the first 5 years...so if he's on a drurious decline at age 35 he can retire or be bought out and we don't have to worry about years 6-9. There's really nothing to complain about. The player fills a big need...he's in the prime of his career...and we didn't have to give up a single asset to get him. It's a no-brainer really.

Furthermore, we still have cap space to sign all our RFAs AND make a move for a top line LW as well. We're not that many pieces away from being a legit contender.
It doesn't matter that the latter years of the deal have lower salary, the cap hit goes by the average. Unless there's some mechanism in future CBAs to get around old deals, we could easily get screwed. We have to hope the league gives amnesty on these deals that will surely be illegal a year from now.

I love the look of our team now. I just hope we're not cursing this in 2019.

ish is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  #545
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
There are a lot of tweets that are on Twitter based on comments from Brad Richards.

I'll put up whatever I can.

Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Richards: "It's not easy to say no to people that are talking, terms, the offers that are being made are very flattering." "I wanted to give everybody the respect, especially the people that showed up." There's lots of factors. All the options at the end of the day were very good. To play with an Original 6 team is something I haven't done."
Quote:
EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek
Brad Richards: lots of factors. original 6 team. stable ownership. i've seen how Torts operates. It works. i've seen it firsthand.
Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Says he's excited to meet, and play with, Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky. Called #Rangers hard to play against last year. 100% after concussions last year, been training for 6 weeks and ahead of training schedule from previous seasons because he's healthy.
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Richards: "I’ve seen how Torts operates...it (current Rangers) kinda reminds me what he was doing with us (in Tampa)."
Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Richards says it was important to him to get closer to the East. His grandfather is 93, "wasn't too happy about west coast games."
Quote:
DaveLozo Dave Lozo
Richards said he started thinking about becoming a Ranger back in May when he and the Stars knew they were parting ways.
Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Torts talked to Richards last night. Said: "If you want to come play for me, great. If you don't, don't bother talking to me!" Torts: He just fits what we need with our club. He brings a lot of those things to our club." Torts says now that his assets have grown, they can make a run at it.
Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Torts on Richards: "He just fits. There are things we need within club and he brings quite a few of those things."


Quote:
drosennhl Dan Rosen
Richards said Tortorella didn't have to sell him on the Rangers because he already knows what Tortorella is doing with the Rangers. Richards on Torts: "He's the type of guy that if you want to come play for me that's good but if you don't don't bother talking to me."


Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Torts: "He brings quite a few of the things we need...He just fits." Torts: "At end of the day we're a better hockey club...still have some needs."


Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Torts: Needed to fill some main points: Top center, top PP QB, also thinks Richards will help with "mentoring" the kids. Nickname: "Richie"


Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Torts on Richards wearing the C: "We haven't even gotten that far."

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
  #546
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,610
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Why so he can slap Clutterbuck and then run trying to draw a penalty? I don't know where people get this idea that Avery is a tough guy. He's an irritant with the biggest mouth in the NHL, and that serves it's purpose, but he's hardly a fighter or a guy I'd want protecting my stars.
there's no amount of fighting that will stop Richards from getting hit, but Avery will stand up for his teammates.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM
  #547
cenas*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,388
vCash: 500
Where are you getting this 6.33 thing?

cenas* is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM
  #548
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Leafs board is great for the lulz before he announced his decision they pretty much pegged him as the savior of their franchise.

Now they say he sucks and are happy he didn't sign there.
Not me man, good signing.

LC is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM
  #549
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,562
vCash: 500
GMillerTSN

Richards year by year: $12m, $12m, $9m, $8.5m, $8.5m, $7m, $1m, $1m, $1m. $10m SB+$2m the salary first year, $8m SB + $4m salary the second

17futurecap is offline  
Old
07-02-2011, 03:33 PM
  #550
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
Sather: We think it was a great opportunity for us. He left a lot of money on the table by accepting our offer from NY." Won't discuss whether there's a NMC/NTC. Came in with a good offer, "tweaked" it, "took a long time."
Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Sather: "We needed someone like this to take us to the next step. I know he's left a lot of money on the table."
Quote:
GMillerTSN Gord Miller
Richards year by year: $12m, $12m, $9m, $8.5m, $8.5m, $7m, $1m, $1m, $1m. $10m SB+$2m the salary first year, $8m SB + $4m salary the second
Quote:
RothmanHockey Seth Rothman
still comtemplating some things. "Now need to get the rest of our players signed."


Quote:
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Sather believes team can take care of RFAs in the "next couple of weeks."

New York RKY is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.