HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-02-2011, 11:16 AM
PresidentCamacho*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
It has been pointed out, Dallas failed to make the playoffs the past 3 seasons with Richards being their goto guy.
Shaky goaltending won't be a problem on the Rangers. They are a much better team with a Richards addition and Drury subtraction.

No one should question Richards' hunger for post-season success.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
ponder

Option 1:
Trade for a not-too-old, legit #1 C. This will be tough (possibly impossible) to do, and will cost a lot of assets, but would fix the biggest hole this team has.

Option 2:
Bandaid solution. Sign someone like Connolly, trade for someone like Weiss, etc. Less risk, but will only improve us a bit, not a lot. Would give us the potential to make the playoffs, but we would in no way be a lock.

Option 3:
No moves, Kadri or Bozak as Kessel's C. We will fail to make the playoffs, but probably will not be getting a top 5 pick, likely something more like 10th overall. Basically, a standard wasted season, the classic Leafs treadmill. Probably the best option for the team long-term though.

I must say, I'm not loving any of these options.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I am not worried. If people thought we were frontrunners to grab Richards, you were wearing the strongest homer glasses.

Richards would have solved a lot of our problems but we were still not Cup Contenders. Not trying to act cocky or anything but if Reimer can play the way he did and we just sign our OWN RFA's and use the farm team for a bit of help, we can still make the playoffs above the Rangers.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:18 AM
TMLeafer

Sign Connolly for a year. What's the harm? Can Arnott fill the gap for a year?

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
I am scared of this too.

The East has improved a lot this off-season. I can't see the Leafs making the playoffs. I am really hoping Burke doesn't make any desperate moves or trades our 2012 pick.
Quite honestly, Nail Yakupov is the best prospect to come along in a long time, since Ovie possibly. Fryk, Grigorenko are top shelf stuff too. Murray and Ebert are projected franchise defencemen. If Burke trades the 1st he should be fired barring we get back great value. The problem I see is there is nothing cheap out there, trading is very costly, do we want to go back to the days of Tlusty as our best propect? Not me.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Stastny, Lecavalier, J.Staal, Weiss, Malkin(?!), etc. Absolutely no way were tanking for a #1 center who won't even breakout to be a "#1 center" for 2-3 years after we draft him... Would prefer stastny, but I can deal with lecavalier, and his contract. Do it burke!!
It would cost a fortune to get anyone of those guys starting with kadri and colborne and a few first rounders.

Any one of those guys wont help us make the playoffs this year. We have 2 or possible 3 holes in the bottom 6 to fill especially with the loss of Brent.

We all know the bottom 6 are equally important as the top 6. You dont win a championship without a solid bottom 6.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Edgeworth*

If we're a team that regresses, which is totally possible. Then we benefit, if we keep up the pace Reimer and co. did last year we're a playoff contender. This is going to be a fun season imo and if we get a lottery pick all the better, we get a shot at a franchise center to help the team longterm.

Here's hoping that Burke doesn't pull a twitchfire move or something.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Who thinks Colborne could make the team next year?

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Quite honestly, Nail Yakupov is the best prospect to come along in a long time, since Ovie possibly. Fryk, Grigorenko are top shelf stuff too. Murray and Ebert are projected franchise defencemen. If Burke trades the 1st he should be fired barring we get back great value. The problem I see is there is nothing cheap out there, trading is very costly, do we want to go back to the days of Tlusty as our best propect? Not me.
Lets hope he keeps the first rounder this time. This is looking like a really good draft.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Sign Connolly for a year. What's the harm? Can Arnott fill the gap for a year?
I was thinking Arnott would be a good stop gap for the 3rd line. 1 year 1.3 to 1.5

Old
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I still have faith. I trust Burke.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:21 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheFourthPeriod David Pagnotta
Hey Leafs fans, a little emotional today, are we? Don't be. They were in on Leino, etc, but didn't overpay. They're looking at trades too.

Old
I Believe

Since everyone seems to be expecting us to tank, watch us pull a Phoenix from 2 years ago and balloon up to 4th place

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SprDaVE

Sign Connolly (the high reward is there, change of scenery could be huge for him), Zenopka (4th line banger) and/or Arnott (veteran center, might not want to go to a rebuilding team however) for depth at center, which we need badly.

Scoop up one or two low-risk/high-reward players for more depth. Stewart and Bergfors come to mind.

Wait for potential arbitration hearings gone wrong, scoop up player if released.

That's about it for now.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Close. I think Kadri may have a slight edge though. Thats what we need. One of those 2 guys to step up and take the reins. Either can have a breakout year and we would not have to worry about a 1c anymore. Looks like that is what Burkes plan is.

Old
Dutch77
Predictable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
He's good enough to. Time will tell whether that's a good thing or not.

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Playoffs are looking unlikely. Time to go with the kids and see where we're at.

Lupul - Colborne - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong
Who - ****ing - Cares

At least we'll know what we've got.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Timmy Brent*

Quote:
We are still missing alot . We don't have a bonafide backup goalie in case Reimer chokes. Please don't say Gustavsson. We don't have a centerman to play with Kessel. Please don't say Bozak. We also need and 3rd or 4th line centerman with penalty killing experience. Please don't say Kadri. These areas need to change otherwise we are the same team as last year and we will have the same result. Wake up and realize this!!!!!
Although I do somewhat agree with you, for 3rd line and PK we do have Bozak because as you mentioned he isn't a 1st line center.

Timmy Brent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:23 AM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Lets hope he keeps the first rounder this time. This is looking like a really good draft.
If the Leafs keep it, they'll draft 13th. If they trade it, it'll end up top 5. I think it's in the NHL Rulebook.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Seeing as we have all this capspace and didn't spend it overpaying the free agents, the only way i see this season being a success and what I think has a pretty good chance of happening is that we sign Lecavalier and upgrade out bottom 6 with 1 minor FA...

I'm a HUUUUUUUGE fan of Stamkos, but does anybody else actually see him being a good fit for our team? He needs a play maker to be the most effective. He is a great player and will still play well w/o one, but not anywhere near as well as he could. Possibly if he played with Kadri, but Kadri-Stamkos-Kessel is not the best defensive line and I'd prefer Kessel not play on the 2nd line...

So back to the Lecavalier for #1C .... He had 25g - 29a - 54pts in 65 games with 12 of those goals happening on the PP. You can look at that as good or bad .... Bad because TB's PP is a lot better than ours so there is a possibility his numbers drop, or good because it should improve our PP. He really looked a lot better at the end of the season/in the playoffs (from what I saw/heard) and got 19 points in 18 games.

It would be nice if we could unload Komisarek on them, but I doubt they wanna take too much $$ back considering that would be the reason that TB would trade Lecavalier. I'm not going to make a proposal because I'm not sure his worth, but I think he would be a good fit and could make us competitive (since after FA we did almost nothing and Eastern teams upgraded (even though it will hurt them in the long run with all that $$$$ for 3rd liners)).

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
If we're a team that regresses, which is totally possible. Then we benefit, if we keep up the pace Reimer and co. did last year we're a playoff contender. This is going to be a fun season imo and if we get a lottery pick all the better, we get a shot at a franchise center to help the team longterm.

Here's hoping that Burke doesn't pull a twitchfire move or something.
I cant be like you. I want to be sure we are making the playoffs. I have Montreal fans living on both sides of the yard. I will kick my dog and shoot my wifes other eye out.

Old
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
Playoffs are looking unlikely. Time to go with the kids and see where we're at.

Lupul - Colborne - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong
Who - ****ing - Cares

At least we'll know what we've got.
I can't see us doing that. Burkie says he wants to address the #1 C position and I still believe he will. Just because we lost out on the Richards sweepstakes doesn't mean we just give up now. It's a long offseason.

Old
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
This is going to be a boring offseason, huh.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:25 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Option 1:
Trade for a not-too-old, legit #1 C. This will be tough (possibly impossible) to do, and will cost a lot of assets, but would fix the biggest hole this team has.

Option 2:
Bandaid solution. Sign someone like Connolly, trade for someone like Weiss, etc. Less risk, but will only improve us a bit, not a lot. Would give us the potential to make the playoffs, but we would in no way be a lock.

Option 3:
No moves, Kadri or Bozak as Kessel's C. We will fail to make the playoffs, but probably will not be getting a top 5 pick, likely something more like 10th overall. Basically, a standard wasted season, the classic Leafs treadmill. Probably the best option for the team long-term though.

I must say, I'm not loving any of these options.
I'll take Option 3 with an open-mind for Option 2 provided we can sign Connolly long-term.

Macarthur has to go.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
Since everyone seems to be expecting us to tank, watch us pull a Phoenix from 2 years ago and balloon up to 4th place
Are we replacing Wilson with Tippet?

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote